PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Level 1 Human Druid (General Feedback and Advice)

Rowanomicon
2010-07-11, 10:01 PM
This is thread is not focused on optimization as it is not my goal and this is a Druid so it's not particularly necessary.

Having said that, I am not the most experienced builder so if I shoot myself in the foot please do let me know.

Other than that I'm look for general feedback and advice on everything from the vague little backstory I have to far to distribution of Ability Scores and Skill Points to advancement option and equipment and Feat choices.

I'd like to get the sheet done tonight, but not all the tweaking needs to be done and I'll flesh out the backstory over the next few days.

Here's the Sheet:Ciriun (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=223402)

Here's the game it will be in: Age of Worms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8901410&posted=1#post8901410)

Right now with Skills I'm torn between Craft (for his ability to make the things he needed to survive in nature, but this make also be represented by Survival, and/or alchemical/herbal products made from plants), Diplomacy (he has decent Cha and imagine him as having a strong personality, but he hasn't had much contact with "civilized" folk), Profession (herbalist or something like that), Spellcraft, and Swim.

Prodan
2010-07-11, 10:07 PM
Craft: Alchemy and Survival would work well, you are correct.

I would make sure to take Knowledge: Nature; after all, you are a druid and it will help with your herbalism. Swimming.... eh. You get spells and wildshape forms for that, so it's less necessary.

You left out feats, so I'm going to recommend some good ones for a druid:

Toughness
Skill Focus: Basket Weaving
Dodge
Combat Casting
Self Sufficient

Keld Denar
2010-07-11, 10:13 PM
Its Skill Focus: Underwater Basket Weaving....get it right!

About the only thing you need to do for your druid is to make sure you take Natural Spell at level 6. Everything else is up to you. I personally like Child of Winter from the ECS, as it adds a number of fun vermin to your SNA list, and HUGE monstrous centepedes are amazing battlefield control for their level with massive grapple bonuses.

Also, Spell Focus: Conjouration leading into Augemented Summoning is a pretty handy route. Summons are really strong from about level 3 to level 10 and this feat will help you get some extra mileage per spell.

Greenish
2010-07-11, 10:15 PM
I'm going to recommend that you feed your character better, he's borderline underweight.

[Edit]: Also, nice ability scores.

Rowanomicon
2010-07-11, 10:15 PM
Thanks.

I should mention that I am working with access to d20srd.org and other free internets only.

I already put Knowledge (Nature) on my sheet along with others.

Craft Alchemy is probably the most fun option for my final Skill. Should I care about Spellcraft?

Combat Casting and Self-Sufficient seem to be good Feat choices for him.

We also get 2 Flaws and 2 Traits in this game.

EDIT: He's thin because he survives entirely off of things he hunts and gathers himself, but I'll give him another 5 Kg for good measure.

Prodan
2010-07-11, 10:17 PM
Its Skill Focus: Underwater Basket Weaving....get it right!
He said no cheese. You get it right!

Craft Alchemy is probably the most fun option for my final Skill. Should I care about Spellcraft?
Yes.

Combat Casting and Self-Sufficient seem to be good Feat choices for him.

Hold still while I smack you upside the head with the internet.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-07-11, 10:20 PM
Toughness
Skill Focus: Basket Weaving
Dodge
Combat Casting
Self Sufficient

Sadly, after getting Natural Spell, you don't really need anything but the above feats. :smallbiggrin:

On a more serious note, if you want to do a lot of summoning, something like the following feat build is desirable:
1:Spell Focus (conjuration)
Human: Augment Summoning
3: Greenbound Summoning
6: Natural Spell

Here's a pretty good Druid handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0).

Rowanomicon
2010-07-11, 10:23 PM
Yes.

Hold still while I smack you upside the head with the internet.

Thanks.

I know, I meant for his backstory. I haven't given thought to Feats yet except knowing that I will take Natural Spell when the time comes.

EDIT: They are good Ability Scores aren't they. The forum roller was kinds to me, even with the better-than-average method used.

Math_Mage
2010-07-11, 10:26 PM
Sadly, after getting Natural Spell, you don't really need anything but the above feats. :smallbiggrin:

On a more serious note, if you want to do a lot of summoning, something like the following feat build is desirable:
1:Spell Focus (conjuration)
Human: Augment Summoning
3: Greenbound Summoning
6: Natural Spell

Here's a pretty good Druid handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0).

Greenbound would be considered borderline cheese, no? >.>

Also, here's the updated version (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868802/Druid_Handbook_revived) of the above handbook.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-07-11, 10:31 PM
Greenbound would be considered borderline cheese, no? >.>

And druid wouldn't?

That said, I agree with you -- it is borderline ridiculous. Ashbound would be a slightly more reasonable filling of the slot.

Rowanomicon
2010-07-12, 11:02 PM
Sheet is mostly done now.
Still need to buy "other possessions" and write in a few things like which spells I'll have prepared to start play and more backstory/description/personality.

I'm going to bed now though.
G'night playground.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-12, 11:22 PM
Sheet is mostly done now.
Still need to buy "other possessions" and write in a few things like which spells I'll have prepared to start play and more backstory/description/personality.

I'm going to bed now though.
G'night playground.

Spend all your money on Marbles and Pineapples. Why? Who knows?

Rowanomicon
2010-07-13, 08:14 PM
Spend all your money on Marbles and Pineapples. Why? Who knows?

Marbles would be an interesting random item for him to have, perhaps kept form his childhood.
Pineapples... at least he'd have food...

I'll stick with the basics:
survival gear he may have kept from when he was traveling with his parents (flint & steel, etc) and anything he could have made or gotten from random encounters with woodland folk.

EDIT:
Is it just me who thinks that 10 pounds is a bit heavy for 50 feet of hemp rope?
That seemed a bit off to me so a quick google search revealed to me hemp rope with a break point of over 4000 pounds at a weight of 6.6 pounds for 39.4 feet.
Now I don't expect D&D hemp rope has a breakpoint nearly that high.
The same sight also shows a hemp rope with a breakpoint of over 200 pounds that weighs 2.2 pounds for 272 feet.
Obviously these rope are better made than the rope my character would have, but it still seems like 10 pounds is too much for 50 feet of rope.