PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Green Slime questions

Thurbane
2010-07-12, 01:05 AM
I asked a question in the Q&A by RAW thread, but I thought I'd ask in broader terms.

How exactly does this stuff work?

Does it need an attack roll to land on a victim?
If not, is the victim allowed some kind of Reflex save to avoid it?
Is there a listed Spot DC to notice it on the ceiling?
It says that it damages metal and wood - does it damage the victims armor, in addition to CON damage each round?

Another_Poet
2010-07-12, 01:46 AM
There are no definitive answers in RAW. Here are my suggestions.

Does it need an attack roll to land on a victim?

If they walk under it, no. It simply falls into everything in the square beneath it. Or if it is on the wall, it falls onto everything in the adjacent square.

If not, is the victim allowed some kind of Reflex save to avoid it?

No. It is a remnant of Gygaxian days. If you spotted it and were smart enough not to walk under it, you are safe. If you didn't spot it or your spotted it and said, hey guys, let's just walk right through... well, we've all seen You Can't Do That on Television.

Is there a listed Spot DC to notice it on the ceiling?

No, there is no listed DC. I would give it a DC that is roughly equal to the Search DC for a CR 4 trap: so between 20 and 28. 28 seems high in this case since it doesn't offer a save. I'd keep it under 25.

It says that it damages metal and wood - does it damage the victims armor, in addition to CON damage each round?

In general, no. if you get slimed then you should clean the slime off immediately after. If you don't, then I would rule that after a day or so it has destroyed your armour. For magical armour I would give a fort save every 12 hours. But if you clean it off shortly after being slimed you should be fine.

The reason I suggest this is (a) it is already a formidable trap for a CR 4 without adding rust monster powers and (b) if it was strong enough to instantly destroy armour, you'd be taking acid damage by the bucketful in addition to the con damage. Since it doesn't burn your skin to have it on you, it obviously doesn't do more than polish your armour unless you leave it on there a long long time.

ap

Thurbane
2010-07-12, 01:50 AM
The main reason I asked about the armor damage was this section from the SRD:

Against wood or metal, green slime deals 2d6 points of damage per round, ignoring metal’s hardness but not that of wood.

WinWin
2010-07-12, 02:47 AM
Treat it like a trap. Make the spot DC easy (if it is obvious). The Nature or Dungeoneering DC a little harder in order to figure out what it is.

If the PC's poke it with a stick, it will eat throught it, just not as fast as if they touched it with metal.

If it is dripping from the ceiling, then the reflex save to avoid it would be easy.

If PC's get contaminated, they can burn or scrape it off easy. It really only becomes a death trap if is combined with another trap, or if it is of large volume.

Tyriq
2010-07-12, 08:28 PM
As a follow-up question:

If you cast Slime Wave from the Spell Compendium and you use the Maximize metamagic feat, does than maximize the die of Con damage that this stuff does each round? :D

Darrin
2010-07-12, 10:18 PM
If PC's get contaminated, they can burn or scrape it off easy. It really only becomes a death trap if is combined with another trap, or if it is of large volume.

Keep a flask of Defoliator (Arms & Equipment Guide p. 33, 20 GP) handy. Instantly kills all green slime in a 5' radius burst.

Another_Poet
2010-07-12, 10:54 PM
The main reason I asked about the armor damage was this section from the SRD:

Ah, I missed that part. Well then yes, apply that damage each round to their armour (if any). If they have no armour then assume they are naked within 2 rounds as their clothing has been dissolved.

Starscream
2010-07-12, 11:36 PM
No. It is a remnant of Gygaxian days. If you spotted it and were smart enough not to walk under it, you are safe. If you didn't spot it or your spotted it and said, hey guys, let's just walk right through... well, we've all seen You Can't Do That on Television.

Next time I DM a campaign, and one of my players says "I don't know", this is totally going to happen to him.