PDA

View Full Version : Need a build to fit the concept

Xephalo
2010-07-12, 01:18 AM
Essentially, i need a build that is playable from 1-20 that fits this concept:
A melee front liner who is buffed up with magic of some sort that can be active most of the time, preferably while heavily armored.

As far as sources go, anything from the SRD, the Completes, TOM, and TOB is fair game. Also, i am limited to one prc. Please keep the cheese level to a minimum. Many thanks in advance, and apologies if this is asking too much.

Keld Denar
2010-07-12, 01:22 AM
Duskblade20

or maybe

Duskblade15/AbjChamp5, with the AbjChamp levesl mixed in somewhere, probably after 13 to get multichannel.

An alterative would be Warblade2/Wizard4/JadePhoenixMage10/Wizard+4 would be good, given your constraints.

woodenbandman
2010-07-12, 01:22 AM
buffing yourself?

Easy answer: Cleric 20

Slightly longer but still pretty easy answer: Crusader1/Cleric 4/Ruby Knight Vindicator10/Cleric+5

mabriss lethe
2010-07-12, 01:23 AM
I'd say Binder going into Knight of the Sacred Seal. Pretty straightforward, playable 1-20.

gorfnab
2010-07-12, 01:29 AM
Since someone already suggested RKV
Ranger 1/ Psychic Warrior 4/ Slayer 10/ Psychic Warrior 5

Optimystik
2010-07-12, 01:57 AM
Since someone already suggested RKV
Ranger 1/ Psychic Warrior 4/ Slayer 10/ Psychic Warrior 5

If you're going to all the trouble of Ranger and Slayer, there's no need at all for Psychic Warrior. Be a Psion instead and get those tasty 9th-level powers (and nearly 3x the PP.)

Xephalo
2010-07-12, 02:07 AM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, and it looks like the Binder was exactly what i was looking for. Now all i need is recommendations for vestiges, as i am completely lost in that respect.

Frosty
2010-07-12, 02:10 AM
A Suel Arcanamech build?

Ajadea
2010-07-12, 02:11 AM
Translation: You want a gish. Duskblade 20: Gish-in-a-can. Somatic Weaponry is always good if you want to use heavy shields. Take the Battle Caster feat too and run around in adamantine full plate and a heavy steel shield, wielding a longsword and casting spells.

If you don't mind a more lightly armored warrior, swashbuckler 3/warmage 8/Eldritch Knight 10 might work nicely.

Optimystik
2010-07-12, 02:37 AM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, and it looks like the Binder was exactly what i was looking for. Now all i need is recommendations for vestiges, as i am completely lost in that respect.

It's dangerous to go alone, take this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=137.20)

terry
2010-07-12, 03:25 AM
It's dangerous to go alone, take this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=137.20)

:smalleek:
I think that's the first thread ever where I had to go to the wizards version (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871830/Consolidated_Binder_Handbook) for better readability.

AslanCross
2010-07-12, 04:57 AM
Translation: You want a gish. Duskblade 20: Gish-in-a-can. Somatic Weaponry is always good if you want to use heavy shields. Take the Battle Caster feat too and run around in adamantine full plate and a heavy steel shield, wielding a longsword and casting spells.

If you don't mind a more lightly armored warrior, swashbuckler 3/warmage 8/Eldritch Knight 10 might work nicely.

The Duskblade is more of a melee blaster than a true gish, actually. The duskblade doesn't buff himself; he fries his targets with his sword.

Optimystik
2010-07-12, 08:19 AM
The Binder/KotSS isn't really a gish either. It gets some cool abilities... but they are far more narrow than what a true Gish is capable of, because a Binder is not a true caster no matter what abilities it gets.

Having said that, a Binder can be immensely fun, and some of the vestiges have tons of synergy - e.g. Savnok (summon fortified magic undispellable full plate all day whenever you want it) and Aym (move at full speed in heavy armor.)

nedz
2010-07-12, 08:46 AM
Wow, no one mentined Druid :smallcool:

Escheton
2010-07-12, 08:55 AM
Warforged artificer?
Most buffs take a while to apply, but thats pretty potent.

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-07-12, 09:08 AM
Wow, no one mentined Druid :smallcool:

He said minimal cheese. I second the Ranger 1/Psion 4/Slayer 10/Psion 5 build, or just plain Psychic Warrior. Psychic Warrior=psionic gish-in-a-can, and is one of my favorites.

Optimystik
2010-07-12, 09:24 AM
He said minimal cheese. I second the Ranger 1/Psion 4/Slayer 10/Psion 5 build, or just plain Psychic Warrior. Psychic Warrior=psionic gish-in-a-can, and is one of my favorites.

Consider also a dip in Elocater - you can now charge over even difficult terrain, and sidestep the charges of others (gaining a free AoO in the process.)

Person_Man
2010-07-12, 09:52 AM

At first level, you most likely want to take the Improved Binder feat.

Bind Malphas (Bird’s Eye Viewing, Invisibility, Poison Use, Sudden Strike) when you want to be the party scout. Stay Invisible continuously, use your bird to scout ahead of you, and set up ambushes.

When you want to be a front liner, bind Dahlver-Nar (Mad Soul, Shield Self, Maddening Moan*, Natural Armor bonus) if you want to be a front liner. Buy a mount or some other animal, and keep Shield Self on it continuously, and you’ve basically increased your hit points by 50%. Then in the first or second round of combat try to switch it to the most dangerous enemy.

The vestige(s) you should use should change as you gain levels. Just avoid taking feats that lock you into any one set of tactics