PDA

View Full Version : Yup, another equipment thread

theos911
2010-07-12, 07:56 AM
Choosing equipment has always been a weakness of mine, so I come to you all for help. I have semi-gestalt character Feat rogue 4/fighter 2/Platinum knight 2//dwarf paragon 3/ barbarian 1. I have 1300gp and max item cost is 6500gp. My already made purchases include:

+1 Full Plate 2500gp
+1 Warhammer 2012gp
Shield of Vigor 6170gpgp
Healing Belt 750gp
Everlasting Rations 350gp
Feather Fall Talisman 50gp

That cost 11,832gp. I would like some suggestions on what else would be handy. As for the campaign; It is dragon themed and we are currently in an undead polluted area. As I mentioned I am poor at choosing equipment, so this is as far as I got:smallfrown:

Any help is very much appreciated:smallsmile:

and oh yah his (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=218975)stats are as follows 16, 12, 20, 13, 10, 6

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-12, 08:08 AM
Healers Belt, and a few buff wands for the casters to use on you. Eternal wands are better.

Anklet of Translocation is good too.

Darwin
2010-07-12, 08:18 AM
A rule of thumb I hear mentioned a lot of these boards is that you should approximately spend 50% of your gold on upgrading your defenses. Currently you're using roughly 75%.

I second both Healing Belt and Anklet of Translocation. These are 2 essential items that go well on any character.

A wand of Lesser Vigor keeps your party up and running without having to rely on the party's healer to waste spell slots.

To avoid relying completely on AC for defense, try to pick up some DR or miss chance (AC is essentially the same as miss chance, 1 point of AC is roughly worth 5% miss chance and vice versa as long as you're fighting against an opponent who doesn't autohit on anything but a natural 1, in which case miss chance becomes a lot better than AC.)

Person_Man
2010-07-12, 09:41 AM
Suggestions:

Heavy Armor prevents you from using Evasion and Tumble. Use light armor and a reach weapon with a battlefield control combo.
Instead of a +2 Shield, consider a +1 Animated Shield. This will free up your other hand so that you can better use Power Attack feats.
Instead of spending now, consider saving your money. Most of the best equipment in D&D starts at the 10-20K gp range.
Valorous weapon enhancement: Double damage on a charge. +1 bonus. Unapproachable East pg 54.
Skeletal Hand: Gives you a claw attack. 3,000 gp, Libris Mortis pg 80.
Banner of Law: All day Circle of Protection from Law. Can be made for Protection from Evil, Good, etc. 8,000 gp. Heroes of Battle pg 133.
Cloak of the Dragon: Wings and a breath weapon once per day for 10 minutes. 6,000 gp, Complete Champion pg 138.
Collar of Umbral Metamophosis: Gives you the Dark template, which gives you Hide in Plain Site and various bonuses. 10,800 gp. Tome of Magic pg 156.
Everlasting Rations: Enough food to feed 1 person for a day, every day. 350 gp. Heroes of Battle pg 131.
Feather Fall Talisman: Gives you Feather Fall, once. Keep one per adventure, and you should be fine. 50 gp, Sharn City of Towers pg 170.
Heavy Legs construct graft: You take no penalty from being Fatigued. If you are Exhausted, you are instead treated as Fatigued. 6,000 gp, Faiths of Eberron pg 158.
Mantle of Second Chances: Reroll one die once per day. 6,000 gp, DMG II pg 269.
Mighty Arms construct graft: You gain a slam attack as per a construct of your size. 1,000 gp, Faiths of Eberron pg 158.
Night Caller: You can blow this whistle over any grave to turn a corpse into a zombie that serves you loyally until destroyed. 7,000 gp, Libris Mortis pg 79.

Also, WTF is semi-gestalt, and have you noticed that your build is very off?

theos911
2010-07-12, 10:07 AM
Suggestions:

Heavy Armor prevents you from using Evasion and Tumble. Use light armor and a reach weapon with a battlefield control combo.
Instead of a +2 Shield, consider a +1 Animated Shield. This will free up your other hand so that you can better use Power Attack feats.
Instead of spending now, consider saving your money. Most of the best equipment in D&D starts at the 10-20K gp range.
Valorous weapon enhancement: Double damage on a charge. +1 bonus. Unapproachable East pg 54.
Skeletal Hand: Gives you a claw attack. 3,000 gp, Libris Mortis pg 80.
Banner of Law: All day Circle of Protection from Law. Can be made for Protection from Evil, Good, etc. 8,000 gp. Heroes of Battle pg 133.
Cloak of the Dragon: Wings and a breath weapon once per day for 10 minutes. 6,000 gp, Complete Champion pg 138.
Collar of Umbral Metamophosis: Gives you the Dark template, which gives you Hide in Plain Site and various bonuses. 10,800 gp. Tome of Magic pg 156.
Everlasting Rations: Enough food to feed 1 person for a day, every day. 350 gp. Heroes of Battle pg 131.
Feather Fall Talisman: Gives you Feather Fall, once. Keep one per adventure, and you should be fine. 50 gp, Sharn City of Towers pg 170.
Heavy Legs construct graft: You take no penalty from being Fatigued. If you are Exhausted, you are instead treated as Fatigued. 6,000 gp, Faiths of Eberron pg 158.
Mantle of Second Chances: Reroll one die once per day. 6,000 gp, DMG II pg 269.
Mighty Arms construct graft: You gain a slam attack as per a construct of your size. 1,000 gp, Faiths of Eberron pg 158.
Night Caller: You can blow this whistle over any grave to turn a corpse into a zombie that serves you loyally until destroyed. 7,000 gp, Libris Mortis pg 79.

Also, WTF is semi-gestalt, and have you noticed that your build is very off?

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll go one by one on each. Before I start though- I decided to go with shield of vigor from MIC rather than +2 heavy steel shield. Secondly, semi gestalt is level on second side is half of level on first side. Also, this is not an optimize to blow up the world game. I already made a character like that for this game and was asked to tone down. This is a charging build to some extent.

1. I don't care about evasion, I went feat rogue for to get one more feat than if I went straight fighter and for some skill-fu

2.already answered, went with shield of vigor

3.understood and do-ly noted

4.sounds sweet, I might actually do that

5.no thx I like my hammer

6.awesome but too expensive

7.also awesome, may consider

8.A. too expensive and B. I don't want the dark template

9.SOLD

10.SOLD

11.wth is a graft, and I like my legs as they are

12.ehh nice but not worth price to me

13.wth is a graft, and I like my arms as they are

14.ya, that won't fly well with rest of party

I'm trying to have fun and be effective. I'm not trying to blow up the world.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-12, 10:10 AM
Buy a bag of marbles. You never know when you could use a bag of marbles...

Keld Denar
2010-07-12, 10:47 AM
Things every melee needs (eventually):

+Str/Con/other (depending on actual build, although Con is ALWAYS good)
Short Range Teleport
Your own source of Haste
+resistance
Short Range Teleport
Miss chance
Your own source of flight
Short Range Teleport
Protection/Immunity to [Mind Affecting]
Sources of bonus damage
Sources of bonus to-hit that can be converted to damage via PA
Short Range Teleport
True Seeing, or at least See Invisible
Freedom of Movement

Most of those things are defensive, because if you are shut down by a spell, you need a way to bounce back. Its amazing how many problems can be solved by teleporting 10'. If an item on the list isn't covered by your build, it should be covered by your gear. The rest of it should be pretty self explanatory.

theos911
2010-07-12, 11:12 AM
Things every melee needs (eventually):

1.+Str/Con/other (depending on actual build, although Con is ALWAYS good)
2.Short Range Teleport
3.Your own source of Haste
4.+resistance
5.Short Range Teleport
6.Miss chance
7.Your own source of flight
8.Short Range Teleport
9.Protection/Immunity to [Mind Affecting]
10.Sources of bonus damage
11.Sources of bonus to-hit that can be converted to damage via PA
12.Short Range Teleport
13.True Seeing, or at least See Invisible
14.Freedom of Movement

Most of those things are defensive, because if you are shut down by a spell, you need a way to bounce back. Its amazing how many problems can be solved by teleporting 10'. If an item on the list isn't covered by your build, it should be covered by your gear. The rest of it should be pretty self explanatory.

This is helpful! Again one by one

1.the friendly caster can boost my str. My con is 20 so my con and max hp are not in need a large attention atm

2.Anklet of Translocation

3.Our caster also does haste, so a me fuel'd version of that is not major priority atm

4. Du-ly noted, though not sure how to accomplish on my mini-budget. See the game started at ECL 6 and I'm joining at ECL 8 but I asked and do not get an increase in starting gear. This leaves a me a tab behind in wealth.

5.Did I mention Anklet of Translocation?

6.Du-ly noted would potions of blur be good?

7.that is a long way away for now. The only one in group with flight is the druid through means of wildshape eagleness

8.I'm quite sure I mentioned Anklet of Translocation...

9.Du-ly noted my will save is only +5 and I don't know how to do this... suggestions?

10. not sure... suggestions?

11. also not sure... true strike... suggestions?

12.Gosh, I really thought I mentioned Anklets of Translocation

13.Du-ly noted but idk a way to achieve that

14.not sure what that is or how to get it...

Although some of the things I didn't know or know how to get them, that was very helpful. If you can give me some suggestions on the places where they were asked, It'd be greatly appreciated.

:smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-07-12, 11:37 AM
I said eventually. Having your arcane caster casting Haste in combat is decent now, but in a few levels, he's gonna wanna open combat with a different buff, or a big disable, or something other than Haste. Eventually, you'll want to bring your own Haste to the table. Boots of Speed are perfect for this. Only activate them when you qualify for a full attack, and 10 rounds a day should be enough.

Cloaks of Resistance are cheap. The formula is (bonus)^2 * 1000. A +1 Cloak of Resistance is only 1000g. A +2 is 4000g, which you should be able to afford soon enough.

Miss chance becomes much more important as levels increase. At your level, your AC is still decent enough from heavy armor that you'll probably get missed a fair amount of the time. The 3 most common sources of miss chance are a Ring of Blinking, a Cloak of Lesser Displacement, and Shape Soulmeld: Displacer Mantle + Open Lesser Chakra: Shoulders. The first gives 50%, but gives you 20% miss on all your attacks, while the other 2 are only 20% but don't incure any inability of your own attacks. A Potion of Blur wouldn't be a bad purchase for now, an Ace in the Hole to use on a "boss" type fight that's gonna yield a fairly substantial reward.

Again, flight, like Haste, isn't something that is critical right now. Some things might fly, but most things won't. If you need it, your arcane support should provide it, or provide a means of "grounding" the flying foe so you can beat it. Thats what wizards are for, the very definition of their existance.

True Seeing and/or See Invis is accessable by a couple of VERY cheap items in the MIC. There's the eyepatch, which, on top of being hella-cool looking, gives Blindfighting all day, except when you flip it over to the other eye, which gives 10 minutes worth of See Invis per day. This is more than enough. The other cheap item is the Scout's Headband, also in the MIC for 3400g. It has 3 charges, like most of the neato MIC items, and using more charges at once gives you a greater effect. 1 charge nets you Darkvision for an hour, 2 gives you See Invis for 10 minutes, and 3 gives you True Seeing for a minute. Very quality item, because when you need it, its VERY nice to have. Combine one of the above with a Lesser Revelation Crystal from the MIC, and every invisible foe you hit, your allies can see as well. Thats teamwork!

Protection from [Mind Affecting] is rough to get. A constant Prot Evil (such as from the Standard of Law that Person Man mentioned) makes you immune to most [Compulsion] and [Charm] types, which is a good start, but only the tip of the iceburg. Its easiest to get from classes such as Occult Slayer or Illithid Slayer. In the very late game, there is a ring in the DMGII that gives 24/7 Mind Blank, but it carries a 110,000g price tag...

FoM, again, is a tough one to get on your own. The best way is to aquire some sort of arcane casting and buff yourself with Heart of Water (CMage), but thats probably not an option. For most things, short range teleport serves the same function, as it can get you out of things like Evard's or Solid Fog, but eventually you will want full on FoM. A FoM ring is 40,000g in the DMG, otherwise +1 Freedom armor is 36,000g + price of armor, a better deal if you aren't planning on further upgrading your armor.

I forgot to mention some sort of Fortification. The best way to get that is again via spells (4x Heart of Air/Water/Earth/Fire, or the Elemental Body or Veil of Undeath spell), but you could get it on your shield (+1 Heavy Fort shield is 36,000g + cost of shield) or use the A&EG rules for Bracers of Armor. The armor bonus won't stack with your actual armor, but it gives you another body slot to tack on cheap armor mods.

theos911
2010-07-12, 12:24 PM
I said eventually. Having your arcane caster casting Haste in combat is decent now, but in a few levels, he's gonna wanna open combat with a different buff, or a big disable, or something other than Haste. Eventually, you'll want to bring your own Haste to the table. Boots of Speed are perfect for this. Only activate them when you qualify for a full attack, and 10 rounds a day should be enough.

Those sound good, but are 12,000gp... far out of my current price range.

Cloaks of Resistance are cheap. The formula is (bonus)^2 * 1000. A +1 Cloak of Resistance is only 1000g. A +2 is 4000g, which you should be able to afford soon enough

That's probably a purchase I will make

Miss chance becomes much more important as levels increase. At your level, your AC is still decent enough from heavy armor that you'll probably get missed a fair amount of the time. The 3 most common sources of miss chance are a Ring of Blinking, a Cloak of Lesser Displacement, and Shape Soulmeld: Displacer Mantle + Open Lesser Chakra: Shoulders. The first gives 50%, but gives you 20% miss on all your attacks, while the other 2 are only 20% but don't incure any inability of your own attacks. A Potion of Blur wouldn't be a bad purchase for now, an Ace in the Hole to use on a "boss" type fight that's gonna yield a fairly substantial reward.

No to blinking, I'm not taking that miss chance. I'm not an incarnum-ist so no to whatever that incarnumy thing was. Cloak of displacement is way out of my price range.

Again, flight, like Haste, isn't something that is critical right now. Some things might fly, but most things won't. If you need it, your arcane support should provide it, or provide a means of "grounding" the flying foe so you can beat it. That is what wizards are for, the very definition of their existence.

I'd guess our mage could handle them, and besides we have a lizardfolk archer who shoots arrows the size of your arm and obliterates whatever he hits. So, ya... flying things aren't much of a problem.

True Seeing and/or See Invis is accessible by a couple of VERY cheap items in the MIC. There's the eye patch, which, on top of being hella-cool looking, gives Blindfighting all day, except when you flip it over to the other eye, which gives 10 minutes worth of See Invis per day. This is more than enough. The other cheap item is the Scout's Headband, also in the MIC for 3400g. It has 3 charges, like most of the neato MIC items, and using more charges at once gives you a greater effect. 1 charge nets you Darkvision for an hour, 2 gives you See Invis for 10 minutes, and 3 gives you True Seeing for a minute. Very quality item, because when you need it, its VERY nice to have. Combine one of the above with a Lesser Revelation Crystal from the MIC, and every invisible foe you hit, your allies can see as well. That is teamwork!

I might of missed something but we are talking about corsair's eyepatch right? With an activation you can get see invisible for 1 round or the benefit of blind fight for 1 minute(10 rounds). So, I'm not sure how you get all day blindfight out of that or 10 minutes of see invisible. The best would be 3 rounds of see invisible or 3 minutes of blindfight. Either way, it's still awesome. Scout's headband is also awesome. I'm already a dwarf with enhanced 90ft. darkvision so the first part doesn't help me. Combine the two and you could have 3 minutes of blind fight and 10 minutes of see invisible at the same time. So, basically you could see invisible things and hit them without penalty. I might consider one or the other of them.

Protection from [Mind Affecting] is rough to get. A constant Prot Evil (such as from the Standard of Law that Person Man mentioned) makes you immune to most [Compulsion] and [Charm] types, which is a good start, but only the tip of the iceburg. Its easiest to get from classes such as Occult Slayer or Illithid Slayer. In the very late game, there is a ring in the DMGII that gives 24/7 Mind Blank, but it carries a 110,000g price tag...

Idk those class features from memory. The banner of law is nice, but sadly out of my price range...

FoM, again, is a tough one to get on your own. The best way is to aquire some sort of arcane casting and buff yourself with Heart of Water (CMage), but thats probably not an option. For most things, short range teleport serves the same function, as it can get you out of things like Evard's or Solid Fog, but eventually you will want full on FoM. A FoM ring is 40,000g in the DMG, otherwise +1 Freedom armor is 36,000g + price of armor, a better deal if you aren't planning on further upgrading your armor.

I'm not a caster so first half is out. I can't afford any of that stuff, so second half is out.:smallbiggrin:

I forgot to mention some sort of Fortification. The best way to get that is again via spells (4x Heart of Air/Water/Earth/Fire, or the Elemental Body or Veil of Undeath spell), but you could get it on your shield (+1 Heavy Fort shield is 36,000g + cost of shield) or use the A&EG rules for Bracers of Armor. The armor bonus won't stack with your actual armor, but it gives you another body slot to tack on cheap armor mods.

Du-ly noted. Most out of my price range, but I'll consider these.

It may have seemed like I down'd lots of ideas, because I couldn't afford them. I did, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them. I realize I can't have all or even most of those things at ECL 8. Thanks for your help everyone.

Keld Denar
2010-07-12, 02:31 PM
I didn't expect you to have all of it by ECL6...far from it. But it does give you something to work toward. Those are the items you should be saving for. Like I said...eventually. Its good to have goals.

By high levels, your wizard(s) will have more important things to do than providing you with Haste, or with Fly, so you'll want to provide those things yourself, but at your current level, it is still one of the strongest actions they can take. By level 10 or so, however, you should have the Boots of Speed, because the wizard wants to be dropping his 5th level slots at the start of combat, not buffing you with Haste.

Caphi
2010-07-12, 02:46 PM
Blurring armor is +1-equivalent and gives you blur 3/day for five rounds each on command. Great for low-mid levels. It's in the MIC.