PDA

View Full Version : +Int +Wis Race

Exthalion
2010-07-12, 09:57 AM
Can anyone tell me a race that provides a bonus to both int and wisdom without level adjustment?

Critical
2010-07-12, 10:11 AM
I'm afraid there's none, if you don't count Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold.

2xMachina
2010-07-12, 10:12 AM
Oriental Adventures

Vanara. (Monkey humanoids).

3.0 though, so... But legal until updated!!!

Zaq
2010-07-12, 10:13 AM
The only thing I could think of would be to find some Planetouched or another with those stats and only +1 LA, then use the Lesser Planetouched rules from I believe either the Forgotten Realms main book or Races of Faerun (someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). The downsides are that this requires some extra work, I don't know if there are any Planetouched that fit this description in the first place, and it's pretty much always considered at least mildly (sometimes moderately) cheesy.

hamishspence
2010-07-12, 10:15 AM
Oriental Adventures

Vanara. (Monkey humanoids).

3.0 though, so... But legal until updated!!!

Dragon Magazine 318 updates Oriental Adventures to 3.5- I don't know if they made any changes to the Vanara.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-12, 10:28 AM
Dragon Magazine 318 updates Oriental Adventures to 3.5- I don't know if they made any changes to the Vanara.
Here's what it says:
Vanara: Remove all of the vanara's ability score adjustments.

Person_Man
2010-07-12, 10:41 AM
None that I'm aware of. Also, why would you need both Int and Wis?

2xMachina
2010-07-12, 10:44 AM
Here's what it says:

Damnit!!!!

Curmudgeon
2010-07-12, 10:59 AM
The only thing I could think of would be to find some Planetouched or another with those stats and only +1 LA, then use the Lesser Planetouched rules from I believe either the Forgotten Realms main book or Races of Faerun (someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
Player's Guide to Faerūn, page 191.

Eronai_Jantig
2010-07-12, 11:27 AM
Sorry to interrupt the topic a bit, but considering you point out the lesser-planetouched as examples, can you please explain how that actually works? I must have read that entry a hundred times, but I still don't understand how to apply it to, say, Aassimar or something.

2xMachina
2010-07-12, 11:33 AM
Lose the +1LA. You're no longer an outsider. Tada!

EDIT: Ok, so you're now humanoid. And spells that affect humanoids and outsiders work on you.

Morph Bark
2010-07-12, 12:16 PM
Lose the +1LA. You're no longer an outsider. Tada!

EDIT: Ok, so you're now humanoid. And spells that affect humanoids and outsiders work on you.

Generally they also get a slightly weaker SLA, (switching daylight for light on an aasimar). To clarify the type thing, you become Humanoid (planetouched), meaning you are a humanoid that is also affected by spells that affect outsiders in a specific way (similar to dragonblood-subtyped humanoids).

There might have been some small other thing, but I forgot. Wasn't big likely anyway.

Optimystik
2010-07-12, 12:20 PM
Damnit!!!!

Pfft, who reads Dragon anyway. Just don't mention it to your DM and show him the OA entry.

Tengu_temp
2010-07-12, 12:27 PM
Lesser Planetouched are too cheesy, if you ask me. A LA +0 race should never have a total ability score modifier higher than +0. Some people might argue that humans are better with their extra feat... but I don't agree. +2 to two stats, usually stats that are very helpful for your class, is much better than an extra feat. The only other LA +0 races that might be better are those widely considered just as overpowered, like Warforged or Whisper Gnomes.

gbprime
2010-07-12, 12:50 PM
If you're doing this to power a character who has both WIS and INT needed for spellcasting, you can solve most of your problems with a feat. Academic Priest from Dragonlance - Legends of the Twins. It makes your divine spells depend on INT instead of WIS. (But not for save DC's, just spell selection.)

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-12, 01:22 PM
There's always the choice of Primordial (Some LA templates totalling +2 that boost Wis by at least +4) Incarnate Construct Warforged. :smalltongue:

Andion Isurand
2010-07-15, 03:22 PM
The Axani planetouched (lawful descent) are stated in Dragon 297 along with the Cansin planeotuched (chaotic descent) both at +1 LA.

Axani get +2 Int and +2 Wis among other things.

Then you could put them through the lesser planetouched redux in Player's Guide to Faerun.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-07-16, 12:56 AM
There are some I either posted them or was about to on an optimized race niche thread but I got distract irl. I'll probably repost it on BG after I finish my casting granting index.

FMArthur
2010-07-16, 11:17 AM
Vanara don't seem bad as-is to me. The "adjustments must total to +0" general rule WotC uses for most of its 0LA races doesn't work out as being a balanced trade in practice anyway, because you will always be choosing your race for your class and not the other way around. Meaning that the class you choose either makes the negative adjustments not matter or matter little, or you pick a different race for it. If your race doesn't have anything useful outside of its stat adjustments, it's fine to be +2 over as long as no mental stat is getting more than +2.

Nobody's going to make a bard out of a -4 charisma race except for laughs - don't kid yourself, that adjustment means **** to any class that doesn't need Charisma. +8 Int isn't going to be balanced by -8 strength, regardless of what someone on the D&D Wiki may have told you. It will be used by someone who doesn't care about strength.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-16, 11:50 AM
The Axani planetouched (lawful descent) are stated in Dragon 297 along with the Cansin planeotuched (chaotic descent) both at +1 LA.

Axani get +2 Int and +2 Wis among other things.

Then you could put them through the lesser planetouched redux in Player's Guide to Faerun.
This is off-topic, but that issue of Dragon also includes para-genasi planetouched races, with all 6 combinations of Air, Earth, Fire, and Water dual parentage. There are some interesting races there, and including the lesser planetouched mods would make them decent choices for some classes. (Probably not Cleric, though, because all those races require that if you have any Cleric domains then you've got to pick at least one domain to reflect your para-genasi ancestry.)