PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Floating Item Bonus

IM@work
2010-07-12, 11:05 AM
Somewhere I read about an ability/spell/bonus that a character received for having multiple items floating around their person, such as multiple Ioun stones giving an added bonus for each one after 3... or something like that. Does anyone know where and what that is? I have a player who is interested as he has multiple floating items now, floating shield and an Ioun stone...

Also, any other suggestions for floating items? I can't think of too many off hand...

JeenLeen
2010-07-12, 01:50 PM
I don't believe I've ever heard of something like that, but I could see a houserule that, if you have a lot of stuff floating around you, it gives you some extra AC or a chance that your equipment gets hit instead of you.

The latter is, in most cases, far worse than getting hit oneself, though.

According to the stacking rules, most if not all Ioun Stones will not stack with themselves. So you could have one of each type floating around you. I'm not sure if there is any RAW limit on how many floating shields you could have; but as you can wield two mundane shields, having two floating shields seems possible.

unre9istered
2010-07-12, 01:54 PM
You could have any number of the dull gray stones floating around you though. They don't do anything so there's no issue with them stacking.

Ormagoden
2010-07-12, 02:03 PM
You could have any number of the dull gray stones floating around you though. They don't do anything so there's no issue with them stacking.

I wonder how many you need to block LOS

unre9istered
2010-07-12, 02:30 PM
I wonder how many you need to block LOS

42. The answer is 42. Unfortunately it works both ways.

IM@work
2010-07-12, 02:57 PM
Well I seem to recall that you can't have more than one floating shield, and you have to be proficient with it, so no tower shields for mages or anything like that.

The gray Ioun stones have a purpose: Cast a everburning flame on it as a perpetual light source, very good at low levels. Also, trick people into thinking they're real Ioun stones and sell them for big bucks.

unre9istered
2010-07-12, 03:04 PM
Good idea with the continual flame ioun stone, never thought of that. We usually just cast it on somebodies helmet.

You can have multiple floating shields as far as I know, but because they all give you the same type of bonus to armor it doesn't do you much good.

nargbop
2010-07-12, 07:02 PM
IIRC there are no "floating" group bonuses. Look in Magic Item Compendium for some item collections, like the Seven Veils.

2xMachina
2010-07-13, 07:18 AM
Good idea with the continual flame ioun stone, never thought of that. We usually just cast it on somebodies helmet.

You can have multiple floating shields as far as I know, but because they all give you the same type of bonus to armor it doesn't do you much good.

Try riverine shields. Half bonus as deflection. So, 1 normal, 1 rivirine nets you 50% more AC.