PDA

View Full Version : Wizards and Coming Back to Life

Viking_Mage
2010-07-12, 02:04 PM
Every level, a wizard adds two spells for free to their spellbook.
When you come back to life, you lose a level and all skills, feats, spells per day, base attack and saves, and hit dice.
But, your equipment is fine and undamaged.

Does a wizard level x who dies, gets resurrected and becomes wizard level x-1, and then levels into Wizard level x again, does said wizard gain two more spells into their spellbook for free again?

For a bonus round, if a character multiclassed into wizard 1, gaining all the original spells (3+Int bonus of 1st level spells), and then dies, and then goes back to wizard 1, do they get an additional (3+INT bonus of 1st level spells) added to their spellbook?

gbprime
2010-07-12, 02:21 PM
When you level up, you get more spells, yes. De-leveling through death or XP penalty does not erase those spells, but regaining a lost level would indeed technically give you more spells. It's meant to be a byproduct of gaining XP while in that career field.

And the initial spells for choosing the wizard career are gained for long study. If you de-level and end up as wiz 1 again, you don't get more spells. You already HAVE those spells.

Viking_Mage
2010-07-12, 02:26 PM
Thank you for the clarification.

unre9istered
2010-07-12, 02:32 PM
And the initial spells for choosing the wizard career are gained for long study. If you de-level and end up as wiz 1 again, you don't get more spells. You already HAVE those spells.

It should be noted that this is strictly a judgment call, though I would agree with it personally. As much as I hate paying for spells to add to my spellbook when I'm playing a wizard, they don't need any help. I might consider giving them the 2 they would gain at any other level though.

gbprime
2010-07-12, 02:58 PM
Well the 2 per level mechanic is really there just to put the brakes on your highest-level spells anyway. Spells of lower level get filled out later on by treasure and the odd shopping purchase or swap. Plus there are numerous ways to up that to 3 per level.