PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hoodoo priest :D

Flail_master
2010-07-12, 02:29 PM
hey guys,
recently i been thinkin of character ideas for backups if my character dies, and i thought of a hoodoo/voodoo priest who's all 'beware de depths ma child' and all the bones and red and white markings and stuff on their body, and kinda talks like that hoodoo woman out of Pirates of the caribbean.
ability wise, calling swarms, causing disease, and generally being very witch doctor-y and shaman-y, all that jazz

any classes you guys know of that fit this kind of idea?

thanks again playgrounders :smallsmile:

Zovc
2010-07-12, 02:32 PM
Maybe the Spirit Shaman from the Complete Divine?

It's awful, but the Complete Warrior's Hexblade can curse people every-so-often.

Keld Denar
2010-07-12, 02:35 PM
Warlock would actually work out pretty well. They can do stuff like summon swarms, turn people into newts, fly around in stormy weather while cackling, and all that kinda stuff.

The rest is RP, do with it as you will.

Flail_master
2010-07-12, 02:40 PM
Warlock would actually work out pretty well. They can do stuff like summon swarms, turn people into newts, fly around in stormy weather while cackling, and all that kinda stuff.

The rest is RP, do with it as you will.

ooo nice, know where i can find 3.5 rules for it?

Starsinger
2010-07-12, 02:43 PM
Complete Arcane like... third page in the book

Flail_master
2010-07-12, 02:44 PM
Complete Arcane like... third page in the book

lol now i see it, i took a wild guess at CA and there it was :smalltongue: thanks anyways :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2010-07-12, 03:20 PM
There are some more Invocations in Complete Mage, if you take a gander in there, and if you don't mind the draconic theme (or can refluff the draconic theme), there are some more invocations in Dragon Magic that are part of the Dragonfire Adept list. Since there is so little support for Invocations, its pretty justified to pick back and forth from the lists to get what you want. You still only know a small amount, and can only invoke one per round (unless you have a way of generating extra standard actions), so its not unbalanced.

Heck, you could even work with your DM to make up some new Invocations. Most of them are based on spells with slight modifications. If there is a spell you want to replicate, talk to your DM and see if you can work something out that is good, without unbalancing things.

Flail_master
2010-07-12, 03:23 PM
There are some more Invocations in Complete Mage, if you take a gander in there, and if you don't mind the draconic theme (or can refluff the draconic theme), there are some more invocations in Dragon Magic that are part of the Dragonfire Adept list. Since there is so little support for Invocations, its pretty justified to pick back and forth from the lists to get what you want. You still only know a small amount, and can only invoke one per round (unless you have a way of generating extra standard actions), so its not unbalanced.

Heck, you could even work with your DM to make up some new Invocations. Most of them are based on spells with slight modifications. If there is a spell you want to replicate, talk to your DM and see if you can work something out that is good, without unbalancing things.

ooo much thanking of you! i shall try and work some stuff out, ill take a looksey at those too :smallsmile:

Catch
2010-07-12, 03:33 PM
Have you considered a druid? Their natural magic fits with the idea of shamanistic/voodoo traditions, including weather manipulation, curative magic, and summoning creatures.

See if your DM won't let you trade in Wild Shape or your animal companion for a few appropriate additions to your spell list, like Bestow Curse.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-12, 03:45 PM
Binders deserve a mention. They are all about binding "spirits" to you, giving you an extreme variety of abilities based on the spirit (vestige) bound.
You can basicly switch from debuffer to frontline fighter, to scout on a day to day basis.

subject42
2010-07-12, 03:57 PM
Binders deserve a mention. They are all about binding "spirits" to you, giving you an extreme variety of abilities based on the spirit (vestige) bound.
You can basicly switch from debuffer to frontline fighter, to scout on a day to day basis.

I'm working on convincing my DM to let me play a binder with exactly the same hoodoo man theme. They can be downright creepy if done right.

Flail_master
2010-07-12, 04:07 PM

hmm i shall take a look at all of these, though i am liking warlock, its not urgent however, only a back up character, but i shall have a browse :smallsmile:

Starfols
2010-07-12, 04:17 PM
If I remember, Shaman from oriental adventures is pretty good at that too. Don't remember if the class is any good or now.

The witch from the DMG is definitely worth looking into as well. Lots of curative things, and hexes and debuffs.

The Tygre
2010-07-12, 05:46 PM
There's a book by Green Ronin called 'Skull and Bones'. Aside from being a good ol' book about pirates and New World monsters, it also has rules for Voodoo/Hoodoo spellcasting, including two classes. Personally, I'd give it a scan just for the Loa patrons. Baron Samedi and his family, as ever, remain the most popular. :smallcool:

Swooper
2010-07-12, 06:05 PM
My friend is actually playing a similar concept, he used cloistered cleric for it. Works just fine, but I can see the reasoning behind the other classes mentioned here.

~Nye~
2010-07-12, 09:14 PM
The witch from pathfinder might be a good option, I made a similar concept for my friend who played a gith. Though I went with spirit shaman then. I made a 5 level presteige that used hexes and curses and a voodoo doll. I could try and dig it up.

Thurbane
2010-07-12, 09:23 PM
There's a book by Green Ronin called 'Skull and Bones'. Aside from being a good ol' book about pirates and New World monsters, it also has rules for Voodoo/Hoodoo spellcasting, including two classes. Personally, I'd give it a scan just for the Loa patrons. Baron Samedi and his family, as ever, remain the most popular. :smallcool:
Yep, this is exactly what I was going to suggest.

Alternatively, if you want to stick with "official" sources, a Favored Soul with the right spell selection could do Hoodoo fairly well - might want to grab a PrC that gives Undead Turning/Rebuking.

Also, the Binder is an option - allowing his body to be possessed by "spirits" in return for their powers. If you don't want to go full binder, just grab the Bind Vestige feat chain...

Binder is already mentioned above ^

dgnslyr
2010-07-12, 11:58 PM
Hoodoo priest? Does that mean he commands the power to magically push explosive-laden carts along a railway into a convenient receptacle?

The Tygre
2010-07-13, 01:15 AM
Hoodoo is a form of African-American folk magic. It's sometimes confused with Voodoo, but the two are different, namely that Voodoo is a religion while Hoodoo is more a series of magical practices.

http://www.martingordon.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/the_more_you_know.jpg

Thurbane
2010-07-13, 04:02 AM
Hoodoo priest? Does that mean he commands the power to magically push explosive-laden carts along a railway into a convenient receptacle?
Yeah, I'm sure this is some kind of video game or anime reference, but I don't geddit?

Danin
2010-07-13, 03:49 PM

I do hope I'm right in that its a crash bandicoute reference.

Spirit shaman, though a little less powerful than say, a druid (then again what isn't?) is a fantastic class. It is in complete divine and casts from the druid list spontaneously like a sorcerer, but can change his spells known list each morning. Works best in a campaign that has a heavy focus on elementals, fey or ghosts.

dgnslyr
2010-07-13, 04:02 PM
I do hope I'm right in that its a crash bandicoute reference.

Spirit shaman, though a little less powerful than say, a druid (then again what isn't?) is a fantastic class. It is in complete divine and casts from the druid list spontaneously like a sorcerer, but can change his spells known list each morning. Works best in a campaign that has a heavy focus on elementals, fey or ghosts.

I haven't heard of Hoodoo until know, so now I know. Anyway, it's a Team Fortress 2 reference. There's a payload map called Hoodoo, referring to the geological formation, where one team pushes said cart into said receptacle, and the other tries to prevent them. There was a glitch with this map, and the cart pushed itself, so that's where I got the idea. Maybe it was pushed with Hoodoo magic?

Fax Celestis
2010-07-13, 04:10 PM
I'm working on convincing my DM to let me play a binder with exactly the same hoodoo man theme. They can be downright creepy if done right.

You could do Binder/Spirit Shaman/Tenebrous Apostate, couldn't you?

Optimystik
2010-07-13, 04:17 PM
You could do Binder/Spirit Shaman/Tenebrous Apostate, couldn't you?

Use the adaptation (pg. 66) - Tenebrous has pretty crappy domains. I prefer the sound of "Dark Six Apostate" anyway.

Also, Anima Mage has an adaptation (pg. 54) to make it work with divine classes - use that too. Now you have 9th-level spells and 8th-level Vestiges (highest of each.)