PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Arranging classes based on difficulty V.2

Blazen
2010-07-12, 02:50 PM
Decided to update this thread.This is all the characters sorted into a list based on how easy they will be to play. The list will be sorted from easiest to hardest, with set tiers. In parenthesis next to their names will be the abbreviation of the book they first appeared in.

Beginner: Looking at beginner, you will see a trend. The easiest classes to learn how to use tend to be the weapon based defenders, and strikers.

Archer Ranger (PHB1): Absolute easiest character to learn to play, also happens to be one of the top tier damage characters. As long as the player gives it good dex, and moderately high wisdom it is hard to screw up.

2-Weapon (PHB1)/Marauding (MP2) Ranger: Slightly harder to play simply because there are more weapons, weapon feats, and powers to choose between, but is almost impossible to actually screw up.

Barbarian (PHB2): A barbarian with a 2 handed weapon (or dual weapons if whirling) is extremely hard to make bad. All builds use high strength, and you will always have con as a secondary, or tertiary. Even whirling slayers can get by without dex if they want to use hammers or axes. The only one that may be hard to grasp is the thaneborn build.

Fighter (PHB1): Get high strength. Look at the weapon your using. select stats, features, powers, and feats for said weapon. Go to town.

Rogue (PHB1): This is right on the line of beginner, and intermediate. A rogue's concept is easy enough, get sneak attack as often as possble. The hard part is figuring out how to do it.

Intermediate: Leaders and controllers take significantly more thought to use properly, most of them fit likely fit here. This is also the point where we start seeing implements come into play.

Assassin (Dragon Mag): I actually consider assassins slightly more difficult to use then rogues. You now have to consider enemies being adjacent, or not adjacent, as well as implement powers. You also have to get a hang on shrouds.

Warlord, and Cleric (PHB)

Paladin (PHB)

Im not done yet, but am starting to get this up. Ill add in the rest today.

Feel free to suggest changes, offer opinions, or ask for clarification. The point of this list is to help players and DMs decide what characters to play/allow, so any help would be great.

Blackfang108
2010-07-12, 03:23 PM
My Thoughts:

Paladin: Difficult, because of DC and DS. STR-main requires second book (DP).

Psionics: All PP classes in advanced. the PP mechanic, while not too complicated, is an additional step for a new player to be learning, and I would suggest a PHB I or II class instead for a beginner to the game.

Monk: not too difficult, but the Full Discipline powers can be tricky, even for 4e vets. Low end of Advanced.

Warlord: Basic. Grab STR, Grab secondary for your build. Heal to suit.

Wizard (and pretty much all controllers): Advanced.

Cleric: Basic.

Warden: Basic. It's difficult to build a bad Warden.