PDA

View Full Version : Best Divine Spells

FatherMalkav
2010-07-12, 03:52 PM
So I'm playing an Archivist, and my DM said the fateful words after a plot point 'pick any applicable spells'. Basically I get to remake my prayer book but can pull from anywhere, not just Cleric. My question is what spells are hard and fast 'never miss' ones. I've played Archivists so I know the Cleric spell list pretty well, as well as the HoH spells, but Druid, Ranger, and Paladin are all kind of new to me from a player perspective. What should I NEVER miss?

Total Spell's Known by Spell Level
1: 10
2: 8
3: 6
4: 4

That being said, I have some extra GP, so I don't mind buying scrolls to increase my repertoire. As always, thanks play-grounders.

Prodan
2010-07-12, 03:54 PM
Lesser Restoration is a level 1 paladin spell iirc.

subject42
2010-07-12, 03:55 PM
How cheesy are you willing to get? Between the Southern Magician Faerun feat and the Geomancer class, you can get pretty squirrely.

That being said, the first thing to do is look through the Divine Bard, Paladin, and Ranger lists. They'll get cleric spells at a much lower spell level.

Failing that, I recommend Shillelagh as a low-level Druid spell. It's a blast.

gbprime
2010-07-12, 03:58 PM
You have a limited number of spells, so tell us what you want to DO. Blast? Buff? Screw with the enemy? Do you need divination to solve a plot or dungeon mystery?

FatherMalkav
2010-07-12, 04:12 PM
@gbprime: Sorry about that. Divine magic isn't that good for blasting, so mostly buffing (I'll be taking the Vigors for healing) with some enemy screwing/battle field control. Our Barb is a DPS cheese machine and we have a bunch of tanks already.

@subject42: We have a Barbarian/Frenzied Beserker that puts out 100+ damage a hit with Lion Totem leaping cheese. I don't mind being broken as possible, and will mitigate it to make sure others don't feel left out. Hopefully buffing will help them keep up with the Barb.

subject42
2010-07-12, 04:18 PM
@subject42: We have a Barbarian/Frenzied Beserker that puts out 100+ damage a hit with Lion Totem leaping cheese. I don't mind being broken as possible, and will mitigate it to make sure others don't feel left out. Hopefully buffing will help them keep up with the Barb.

Convince your DM that you've found a Southern Magician Geomancer that had the scribe scroll feat. Now all Sorcerer/Wizard spells are also available for divine casting. There are a lot of great buff spells that you can get access to this way.

FatherMalkav
2010-07-12, 04:25 PM
I can convince him of that. So should I have changed the thread to 'Best Spells period' lol?

dextercorvia
2010-07-12, 04:31 PM
Streamers is a level 2 spell from Shining South. Maybe your Southern friend knows that one.

Optimystik
2010-07-12, 04:31 PM
A must-read for all Archivists - Lowest-level versions of spells (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872558/Lowest_level_versions_of_spells)

SurlySeraph
2010-07-12, 05:34 PM
Optimystik beat me to it. You can also do well using the Runescarred Berserker spell list, which has Air Walk, Cure Critical Wounds, Death Ward, Divine Power, Freedom of Movement, Greater Magic Weapon, and Haste at 3rd; Greater Invisibility, Righteous Might, and Stoneskin at 4th; and Antimagic Field, Heal, and Polymorph at 5th.

Mongoose87
2010-07-12, 05:47 PM
Try to grab as many Paladin versions of spells as possible, so you can autoQuicken them with Battle Blessing (Complete Champion).