PDA

View Full Version : I Need A Charisma mechanic

For Valor
2010-07-12, 04:33 PM
I'm trying to work Charisma into not being a dump stat, and I don't know how.

Wisdom has a Will Save
Intelligence has skill points

So what does Charisma have? Nothing. Nil. It benefits magic (occasionally) but doesn't do crap for anything else. This makes it a dump stat for everyone except the guy who uses it for casting, and optimized groups look really stupid with everyone except the party leader having 8-3 charisma.

Ideas I've got for a Charisma mechanic:

Healing Surges

expend a Healing Surge to roll half your HD (10d12 for a level 20 barbarian)
expend a Healing Surge to increase your HP by 1/4 max
Heal yourself from your Healing Surge Pool

The first two ideas for a Healing Surge work off of some flat value (based on your class) plus your Charisma modifier--this makes your Healing Surge Value. You can use these surges a certain number of times per day equal to your Healing Surge Value.

The third idea runs off your Charisma modifier and works by adding your flat value to your Charisma modifier and adding that to your current Healing Surge Value (eg. A barbarian has a flat value of 10 and a ChaMod of -2. At level 1, he has a Healing Surge Pool of 8. At level 2, he has a Healing Surge Pool of 16, etc. If he takes a level of Druid (flat value 4), his Healing Surge Pool at level 3 is 17. At any given point, as an Immediate Action, he can heal as much of his HP as he wants by subtracting those points from his Healing Surge Pool.).

Alternate Attack Bonuses

This is pretty simple. Any time you perform a bullrush, covering fire, disarm, feint, or grapple check, add your ChaMod. I dislike this idea (not that I like my first idea any better) because it only applies to combat and has limited use. Skills and Will Saves are still more prioritized.

-----------
So what ideas would make Charisma a useful stat... or at least one that people don't want to drop?

Temotei
2010-07-12, 04:52 PM
If you have less than 9 Charisma, everyone you meet is hostile. Done.

I'm not serious.

For Valor
2010-07-12, 04:58 PM
heh... makes me laugh.

imp_fireball
2010-07-12, 05:26 PM
Charisma supplements a bonus with certain items. Such items have a minimum Cha requirement - if you don't meet this, the affects of wearing said items becomes negative (ie. people are hostile towards you, or they won't listen to you or take you seriously, or they have a bonus on intimidate checks versus you, or you take a penalty on diplomacy checks, etc.).

Most of these items are outlandish and ridiculous - however your charisma makes wearing them seem cool.

The items can be anything - ie. shades. Or a mohawk. Or multiple body piercings. Or a punk leather jacket with spikes. Or a bikini.

Finally, a reason to dress up as excessively as a character from final fantasy.

Other idea: Charisma supplements certain feats, besides leadership. Heroic surge (if you want to add that feat) can be supplemented by charisma.

DMBlackhart
2010-07-12, 05:35 PM
If you have less than 9 Charisma, everyone you meet is hostile. Done.

I'm not serious.

Im taking this and making it into a workable mechanic now. :smallbiggrin:

Ashtagon
2010-07-12, 05:41 PM
Best one yet is to have Charisma modify the number of action points. This even matches all the relevant tropes, as the star of the story in any action movie tends top be charismatic - its why the movie is about him after all.

Of course, this solution does assume you use action points.

For Valor
2010-07-12, 05:46 PM
@Imp Fireball: I like that idea, but it requires bookkeeping. Unless you can think of a way to make it simple, I'm disinclined to follow through.

EDIT: On the topic of action points... well, I sort of like that idea, but the system is bothersome to use--it's hard to get good mileage out of it without encouraging going nova and then resting after each fight. Daily is too close, as is weekly.

pyrefiend
2010-07-12, 05:48 PM
For a while I toyed with the idea of making Charisma the source of luck bonuses in general and the prerequisite for luck-based feats. You could change Charisma from "interactions with people tend to go your way" to "things in general tend to go your way". I'm not sure of the mechanics of it, but you need a big flavor change like that to justify any meaningful mechanical changes.

Zeta Kai
2010-07-12, 07:44 PM
I've always though that Charisma should be the modifier for one's Will save. Running on the assumption that Charisma signifies one's force of personality & strength of character, it just makes more sense to base Will off of it, rather than Wisdom. Wisdom has little to do with Willpower, IMO. One could be wise, but weak-willed, or foolish but will a lot of conviction. Charisma is not mere physical attractiveness, or the power to charm people into your bed, so basing Will off of Wisdom seems like a mistake on WotC's part.

Also, if done this way, Wisdom doesn't suffer much. Many of the most important skills (Listen, Spot, Sense Motive, & Survival) still are keyed to Wisdom, & CoDzillas still need it for their spellcasting. But not every meatshield will need to have the Wisdom score of a Zen monk in order to avoid domination. I've played a couple of one-shot games where we used Charisma for the Will save modifier, & other than making characters slightly MADer (which was counteracted with a slightly higher point-buy), it worked pretty well for all concerned. My players afterward agreed that it made a lot of sense (vindication of a theory is always nice).

imp_fireball
2010-07-12, 07:49 PM
I've always though that Charisma should be the modifier for one's Will save. Running on the assumption that Charisma signifies one's force of personality & strength of character, it just makes more sense to base Will off of it, rather than Wisdom. Wisdom has little to do with Willpower, IMO. One could be wise, but weak-willed, or foolish but will a lot of conviction. Charisma is not mere physical attractiveness, or the power to charm people into your bed, so basing Will off of Wisdom seems like a mistake on WotC's part.

Also, if done this way, Wisdom doesn't suffer much. Many of the most important skills (Listen, Spot, Sense Motive, & Survival) still are keyed to Wisdom, & CoDzillas still need it for their spellcasting. But not every meatshield will need to have the Wisdom score of a Zen monk in order to avoid domination. I've played a couple of one-shot games where we used Charisma for the Will save modifier, & other than making characters slightly MADer (which was counteracted with a slightly higher point-buy), it worked pretty well for all concerned. My players afterward agreed that it made a lot of sense (vindication of a theory is always nice).

Wisdom still suffers because of this change.

Also, clearly they did intend for wisdom to relate to will power.

Force of personality does not equa pluckyness. Wisdom indicates the ability to controls one's own emotions, hence exert will over themselves, hence will power.

or foolish but will a lot of conviction.

Conviction in D&D is morale. Because most people have morale +0, most people are possessed with equal conviction unless they are intimidated or whatever. In fact, opposing intimidation is a will save, thus the wise are more convicted.

The charismatic only make it seem like they are convicted. They are using charisma to make it seem this way, see?

The wise person is weak because he hasn't gotten off his arse in years.

Charisma is not mere physical attractiveness, or the power to charm people into your bed, so basing Will off of Wisdom seems like a mistake on WotC's part.

Charisma isn't physical attractiveness at all. If anything, it's purely mental.

Also, I believe TSR declared that wisdom would relate to will. Or I could be wrong - I remember in 1st edition that there were like 7 different saves that everyone had (saves versus wands, poison, projectile etc. - of course that was less universal).

Gensh
2010-07-12, 08:49 PM
The problem with Wisdom correlating to willpower is that it doesn't necessarily make sense. Being exceedingly wise doesn't help prevent mind control; it might help one understand when s/he is being manipulated but there's no method of comprehending and subsequently avoiding direct domination. In fact, that's what force of personality is really about, and that's what Charisma is described as being. Nevertheless, since willpower = Wisdom, Charisma is more often than not misinterpreted as physical attractiveness, since it sees little more use than that in-game.

Since it will inevitably come up anyway, the TTGL scenario:
When Lordgenome - shown to be a good leader, capable of great acts of self-control, obviously having a high Wis - is charmed into fear of the Spiral Nemesis by the Antispiral, he kills his entire army and forces humanity underground for 1,000 years. When Simon - shown to be a poor government official, lazy, obviously having a low Wis - is confronted with the same challenge, he plows through it with sheer force of will.

It's not unique to just that one show, though; it's probably as old as fiction. Charismatic idiots who repeatedly fall into stupid traps, get duped by unskilled conmen, and generally make a mess of strategic battles are often the only ones left standing when worst comes to worst and all their allies have given into the fear effect or charm or whatnot. Just because tradition says that Wisdom represents will doesn't mean that it makes sense.

Kuma Kode
2010-07-12, 09:05 PM
In fact, opposing intimidation is a will save, thus the wise are more convicted. Opposing intimidation is a level check, modified by any bonuses against fear. Will has nothing to do with it (beyond any bonuses to fear you may have), neither does Charisma. Which I find unfortunate.

imp_fireball
2010-07-12, 09:37 PM
The problem with Wisdom correlating to willpower is that it doesn't necessarily make sense. Being exceedingly wise doesn't help prevent mind control; it might help one understand when s/he is being manipulated but there's no method of comprehending and subsequently avoiding direct domination. In fact, that's what force of personality is really about, and that's what Charisma is described as being. Nevertheless, since willpower = Wisdom, Charisma is more often than not misinterpreted as physical attractiveness, since it sees little more use than that in-game.

Since it will inevitably come up anyway, the TTGL scenario:
When Lordgenome - shown to be a good leader, capable of great acts of self-control, obviously having a high Wis - is charmed into fear of the Spiral Nemesis by the Antispiral, he kills his entire army and forces humanity underground for 1,000 years. When Simon - shown to be a poor government official, lazy, obviously having a low Wis - is confronted with the same challenge, he plows through it with sheer force of will.

It's not unique to just that one show, though; it's probably as old as fiction. Charismatic idiots who repeatedly fall into stupid traps, get duped by unskilled conmen, and generally make a mess of strategic battles are often the only ones left standing when worst comes to worst and all their allies have given into the fear effect or charm or whatnot. Just because tradition says that Wisdom represents will doesn't mean that it makes sense.

Those tropes don't pay attention to logic unfortunately.

And it does make sense for wisdom to = will power. If you can realize that you are being manipulated, you can overcome it. Chances are you have practiced this. The same is true of real life. Meditation teaches self control. Meditation require awareness of one's self and surroundings. It's wisdom.

But if you want to imitate the plucky dumb hero - combine iron will with heroic surge. Helps for succeeding on will saves with low Wis.

neither does Charisma. Which I find unfortunate.

I don't know why everyone is so inspired to buff charisma by cheapening wisdom. Wisdom is actually one of the greatest assets attainable in the real world. Shouldn't D&D remain so too?

Find some other way to buff charisma. Use my items idea - it only requires the creation of new items. Not even a rules variation (which would have to consider balance alot more).

Just because tradition says that Wisdom represents will doesn't mean that it makes sense.

I like how you are trying to make sense of fiction.

Wis = will makes sense because that's how it works in real life. The mature adult has a lot more will power then the little kid. Adults, by age alone, have a wisdom bonus over kids.

Don't give me the 'D&D is fantasy' argument. Real life (at least a standard outline) is a lot more easy to go by then fiction, since fiction is so apart from itself according to venue and how the writer chooses to write it.

Gensh
2010-07-12, 11:06 PM
But the thing is that we're not talking about something so simple as mundane manipulation, though; we're talking about magic that actively compels you to perform in a certain manner, regardless of any sort of reservations that you might have. I can understand having the save to oppose an unthinkable order might be Wisdom, but not to resist it initially. After all, no degree of understanding the inherent methodology of charming someone will protect you from alien mind control. That's what mad belief in the power of tinfoil's for:smalltongue:. And of course, as part of force of personality is concerned, that's Charisma.

As far as adults gaining a Wisdom bonus, they also gain a Charisma bonus, so it's kind of moot. On the other hand, I agree with you that using "it's fantasy" as an argument is both cheap and resolves nothing; it's a way of avoiding admitting a mistake. What I was referring to was D&D tradition. Open Lock. Seriously?

Zeta Kai
2010-07-13, 12:02 AM
I don't know why everyone is so inspired to buff charisma by cheapening wisdom. Wisdom is actually one of the greatest assets attainable in the real world. Shouldn't D&D remain so too?

The wisest people tend to live like paupers. The most charismatic people tend to live like movie stars. Gee, what's the appeal? :smallamused:

Temotei
2010-07-13, 12:16 AM
You could punch everyone in the face (except classes that rely on both Wisdom and Charisma, like the paladin and sometimes the cleric) and say Wisdom modifier plus Charisma modifier divided by two equals Will save.

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 04:42 AM
The most charismatic people tend to live like movie stars.

Many of those movie stars were ones that were spotted amidst a crowd of wannabes who ended up thrown in a ditch. They were all quite charismatic.

and say Wisdom modifier plus Charisma modifier divided by two equals Will save.

Now you're just making spells that require will saves more powerful by increasing MAD defense.

The wisest people tend to live like paupers

That's stereotype. Not every wise person is Ghandi. Not every wise person is yoda either. And not every wise person is good even.

An example of a wise famous person that is none of those might be Les Claypool or the artists of Tool (a band). Both tend to create very funky, introspective music.

As far as adults gaining a Wisdom bonus, they also gain a Charisma bonus, so it's kind of moot.

In real life, would you consider an adult's maturity a result of their wisdom or their charisma? Do you get it now?

Charisma is the ability to win a beauty pageant as a little girl by putting on a good performance for the judges and indicating your love for the audience.

like the paladin

The paladin's divine grace gives them massive saves in everything... we'll ignore the paladin since they also can't feel fear.

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-07-13, 04:47 AM
Keying off of Zeta, I think that one of the mechanical things that 4E got right was making will boosted by the higher mod between Wis and Cha.

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 04:50 AM
Keying off of Zeta, I think that one of the mechanical things that 4E got right was making will boosted by the higher mod between Wis and Cha.

Still makes no sense. Unless they decided to make Fortitude the higher between Str and Con.

If you put a gun to a celebrity's head, I'm sure they'd pee their pants. Do the same to a yoga master who has trained themselves, through introspection and meditation not to feel fear or pain, and see what happens.

If you guys are arguing charisma, then I think Wis should apply to reactive initiative checks and reflex saves. After all, both those things require self control and judgement to an extent. Initiative checks made after you surprise somebody would use your dexterity rather then wisdom (that way rogues can still go for iterative sneak attacks).

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-07-13, 05:04 AM
They did.

-and using a movie celebrity vs a yoga guru is more than a little unfair methinks. I think a better Cha candidate for comparison would be someone like a field commander. This is force of personality we're talking about after all. I mean, an equally unfair inversion would be to take that officer and compare him to a bird watcher. :smalltongue:

-and^2 I completely agree with you on using Wis for those reactive checks.

Eldan
2010-07-13, 05:33 AM
As for the will save issue:

The problem is that will saves cover two things in D&D, really: resisting mind control and seeing through illusions. For the second part, wisdom makes sense.

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-07-13, 05:45 AM
-which only goes to show that illusions should be opposed by listen and spot checks. :smallbiggrin:

Skycroft
2010-07-13, 05:47 AM
I don't see what charisma has to do with healing.

You could do something like Fantasycraft, where having a higher charisma increases your capability to acquire and retain wealth. Or it provides other, similar benefits, like discounts in stores (which makes sense, actually). Of course, that still might mean only the party leader 'needs' it, but it would make charisma more useful. Just a suggestion.

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-07-13, 06:09 AM
I don't see what charisma has to do with healing.

:smallconfused:

Will saves and skill checks are not one and the same.

Ashtagon
2010-07-13, 06:22 AM
Will no one think of the action points?

Peregrine
2010-07-13, 06:33 AM
Still makes no sense. Unless they decided to make Fortitude the higher between Str and Con.

If you put a gun to a celebrity's head, I'm sure they'd pee their pants. Do the same to a yoga master who has trained themselves, through introspection and meditation not to feel fear or pain, and see what happens.

Good call on both counts. I remember once reading (on these forums) a comparison between physical and mental stats. To put it in my words: Int = Dex (Mental "agility", adroitness, ability to reason and work out -- or around -- problems) Wis = Con (mental steadiness and stability; intuition, perceptiveness, and hold on reality) Cha = Str (mental force, personality, forthrightness, conviction) I hope these descriptions make it clear why I support Wis mod to Will saves. I can understand the argument for Cha to Will saves, but I think it's suitable for a feat (which I'm positive exists -- can anyone think of what it was called?) rather than the default.

-and using a movie celebrity vs a yoga guru is more than a little unfair methinks. I think a better Cha candidate for comparison would be someone like a field commander. This is force of personality we're talking about after all. I mean, an equally unfair inversion would be to take that officer and compare him to a bird watcher. :smalltongue:

Why? Field commanders would, in my opinion, have to have a good balance of all three mental stats -- and Cha would be a good candidate for the lowest. Many, many field commanders have been abrasive, unlikeable people who just happen to have the insight (Wis) and cunning (Int) to gain the upper hand.

A stereotypical celebrity is a great example of a high-Cha, low-Int, low-Wis character: ditzy, no higher education, but exuding confidence and personality that makes them adored and watched and imitated.

Bird watchers might have great Spot ranks, but aren't necessarily high Wis. Now, if an untrained person surprised actual bird watchers, by spotting a green parrot perched in a tree, or the fine details of a diving hawk's markings, then you'd say that they have good Wisdom. And then it makes more sense (to me at any rate) that they'd have the perceptiveness, unfazeability, and sense of reality that implies good Will saves.

lesser_minion
2010-07-13, 08:14 AM
As always, Charisma != appearance. The character who looks attractive but can't act her way out of a paper bag has a low charisma score, as does the stereotypical 'dumb blonde'.

In fact, how people react to someone's appearance is the really important bit here -- an attractive character with poor charisma will be perceived as something of a 'bimbo', whereas an attractive character with a halfway-decent charisma will be perceived as being a lot deeper and significantly more sophisticated.

Force of will doesn't really work brilliantly when attached to any mental stat, and I don't really mind the current "charisma == aggressive willpower; wisdom == defensive willpower" split that the game currently uses.

Iferus
2010-07-13, 08:46 AM
Will no one think of the action points?

I do.

In my games, players get 2+Cha Mod action points per level (min. zero).

Peregrine
2010-07-13, 08:53 AM
As always, Charisma != appearance.

And I never meant to suggest otherwise. :smallsmile:

The character who looks attractive but can't act her way out of a paper bag has a low charisma score, as does the stereotypical 'dumb blonde'.

Not the stereotype I was aiming for, though I can see on reflection how it read that way. Ultimately I think I can best express what I meant in one word: "Elan". :elan:

The kind of "ditzy" celebrity I meant wasn't the "*facepalm* Oh my goodness, why won't this person just shut up" sort. I more meant the ones who go on talk shows and do interviews that have pretty much zero depth, but still come across as likeable and entertaining.

lesser_minion
2010-07-13, 09:01 AM
Not the stereotype I was aiming for, though I can see on reflection how it read that way. Ultimately I think I can best express what I meant in one word: "Elan". :elan:

A character doesn't behave like Elan thanks to any particular charisma score, only because they have low wisdom and low intelligence.

In reality, Elan's behaviour is only tolerated because of his high charisma -- a lower-charisma character who acted that way would be perceived as incredibly annoying, whereas in Elan's case that same behaviour comes across as mildly endearing (at least, to some characters).

Essentially, a low charisma but attractive character inspires jealousy and generally comes across as a few bolts short, whereas an attractive, high charisma character comes across as a genuinely nice person.

Melayl
2010-07-13, 09:59 AM
Wis = will makes sense because that's how it works in real life. The mature adult has a lot more will power then the little kid. Adults, by age alone, have a wisdom bonus over kids.

I'd have to disagree with this one. Yes, adults generally have more wisdom than children. Willpower, however, is something else. My own children, for example, are at least as stubborn as I am (and that's saying a lot). I've met many children with more willpower than their parents (every one of them spoiled rotten...). I've also met a lot of very weak-willed adults (who were, otherwise, quite wise).

Age and wisdom do not automatically equal willpower.

Peregrine
2010-07-13, 10:28 AM
A character doesn't behave like Elan thanks to any particular charisma score, only because they have low wisdom and low intelligence.

In reality, Elan's behaviour is only tolerated because of his high charisma -- a lower-charisma character who acted that way would be perceived as incredibly annoying, whereas in Elan's case that same behaviour comes across as mildly endearing (at least, to some characters).

That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying... so why does it still feel like you're disagreeing with me? :smalltongue:

(If it's because you think I'm saying that "Elan's annoying behaviour is because of his high Cha" or "Elan is representative of all high Cha characters", I'm not. Two characters with identical scores, even identical alignments, may still be very different. Elan just makes a good example of a high-Cha character, especially since I'm looking for an example of a character who, to me anyway, illustrates why Charisma should not be the [default] driving stat behind Will saves.)

Ooh, another way to sum it up: Low Wisdom = naive. Naive = easily taken in by deception, illusion... and mind-bending magic.

For Valor
2010-07-13, 01:57 PM
Ooh, another way to sum it up: Low Wisdom = naive. Naive = easily taken in by deception, illusion... and mind-bending magic.

I believe mind-bending magic is the biggest concern in this argument. A strong force of personality is what people would use to combat mind-bending. Someone here said that Wis=defense willpower and Cha=offensive willpower, and I think that seems to sum it up quite nicely.

On the subject of crunch...

Str: Damage, and physical to-hit (2)
Dex: Rfx, Init, ranged to-hit (3)
Con: HP, Fort (2)
Int: Skill points (1)
Wis: Will save (1)
Cha: Nil (0)

Each of the physical stats get 2 benefits, and it looks like the mental stats should get 1. For the sake of crunch, how does moving Will saves to Cha and moving Initiative to Wis sound? My only qualm is that Wisdom will stay prioritized in the future, since items can boost saves and emulate low skill points in, but can't really cover for initiative... speaking of which, maybe there should be initiative-boosting items...

Mulletmanalive
2010-07-13, 02:32 PM

So...Belkar then?

I'd posit that a lot of folks with a high charisma score come off as nice people, at least while they're steamrolling your lower charisma self with their personality. It's later that you damn his eyes!

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 05:40 PM
are at least as stubborn as I am

That's not will power dude, that's emotion. If you hit them upside the head, would they cry? Yes they would. If your wife hit you upside the head, would you cry? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not one to judge. Your kids are probably more likely to cry then you though, because they have less will power - as in, control over their own thoughts and actions and emotions. That's why compulsion spells require a will save, because it's attempting to override your own control over your thoughts and actions and emotions.

It's later that you damn his eyes!

True. Once you get to know someone, their charisma doesn't help as much against you. Unless you're trying to hold a contest of who can humiliate the other the most.

I've also met a lot of very weak-willed adults (who were, otherwise, quite wise).

You'd have to define 'weak willed' for me. If by that, you mean "I don't wanna get up and go for a jog today", that's probably a result of poor diet and adaptation to lazy living conditions (and partly constitution too). Even people with high will saves will be prone to do what they feel like - it's human.

People with high will saves can get something done if they really wanna do it though. For high charisma low-will people, that's heroic surge - or it's the fact that the person just seems like he has high charisma because he's being presented in the format that the medium feels is digestible for an audience - ie. Ash Ketchum from the poke'mon cartoon anime speaks really loudly is always incredibly enthusiastic and endearing - this translates to high charisma but compared to other characters, he doesn't accomplish much. The anime presents him as a high charismatic but plot-wise his charisma is actually low (the poke'mon are always teasing him; Charizard specifically burns him whenever it can). It's just the format of presentation.

Field commanders would, in my opinion, have to have a good balance of all three mental stats -- and Cha would be a good candidate for the lowest.

Exactly - field commanders are obeyed out of logic, not because they can lead followers. They don't need the leadership feat - merely tactical knowledge and the willingness to make tough decisions (which requires wisdom to perceive; wisdom helps in perceiving right and wrong, which adults generally have an easier time with than children, but it no way relates to alignment).

The technicians who obey the field commanders use their high Int to carry out said orders in the most efficient way possible. The assistants sketch out the most effective plans, which also require Int.
-------

As for the yoga master comparison - the yoga master has wisdom. They use it to supplement their willingness to endure pain, demonstrate patience, etc.

A strong force of personality is what people would use to combat mind-bending.

Um... I don't think so. Usually, the strong force of personality wins because the author doesn't like to kill off those characters that they 'worked harder' on creating.

speaking of which, maybe there should be initiative-boosting items...

There's already Dex boosting items.

Also, seeing as AC isn't really all that valuable later on, Dex should still apply to 'offensive intiative checks' - that is checks where you gain the surprise round and then roll initiative afterwards. This helps out rogues a fair bit since they don't usually buffer wisdom and aren't always inclined to dump charisma due to the fact that feigning requires bluff.

Wisdom helps mostly in reacting to changes and stimuli - so defensive initiative checks.

If wisdom will saves are 'defensive' (something I don't wanna agree on) that pretty much means will saves period since 'offensive will' would be casting mind magic and telepathy (which already uses charisma if you're a psion who took the telepathy discipline) and applying charisma to it - and perhaps in rare cases where creatures make opposed will saves.

Zeta Kai
2010-07-13, 06:22 PM
That's not will power dude, that's emotion. If you hit them upside the head, would they cry? Yes they would. If your wife hit you upside the head, would you cry? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not one to judge. Your kids are probably more likely to cry then you though, because they have less will power - as in, control over their own thoughts and actions and emotions. That's why compulsion spells require a will save, because it's attempting to override your own control over your thoughts and actions and emotions.

Your perseverance on this issue is certainly a display of willpower. :smallwink: I doubt the game's designers themselves are as invested in the way things are as you seem to be. Why can't you entertain the notion of there being another way of doing things?

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 07:16 PM
Your perseverance on this issue is certainly a display of willpower. :smallwink: I doubt the game's designers themselves are as invested in the way things are as you seem to be. Why can't you entertain the notion of there being another way of doing things?

Because you haven't given me a good reason why I should. Will is a very broad category of the mind - to will something is to express conscious decision. Will in itself is very general.

Will power is something else entirely. Just because charisma means you can assert your will on others does not mean that will is strong - you just know how to transmit it well.

My inability to convince people on this issue reflects my low charisma - hence the only people who can realize it are those who have thought about and figured it out themselves.

Temotei
2010-07-13, 07:25 PM
My inability to convince people on this issue reflects my low charisma - hence the only people who can realize it are those who have thought about and figured it out themselves.

That or, you know, they disagree. People can disagree and be right at the same time you're right or wrong.

I'm sure you didn't mean it like that, but, just in case. :smallamused:

Dust
2010-07-13, 08:01 PM
SHAZAM! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120530)

Knew I was keeping that in my favorites for some reason. Hope that solves your issue, mate!

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 08:29 PM
Those rules also have something about haggling. Attempting to buy low would be diplomacy, but I think for people functioning as salesmen trying to sell high, they'd be using intimidate, either to combat hagglers or just convince in general.

Note that a car salemen only seems friendly, but he actually is there to make you feel uncomfortable until you do what he wants. It's effectively intimidation.

Selling high with diplomacy would be PR - you use it to represent your company at a seminar or whatever. This is all to increase your reputation whereas intimidate affects it negatively, and that's why car salesmen usually work commission and not corporate side or whatever.

Melayl
2010-07-13, 09:04 PM

Stubbornness is not in any way related to being emotional. Many highly emotional people are also highly flighty and lack any sense of willpower.

A child will cry when hit because: 1) it hurts, and their history of dealing with pain is usually much less than an adult's, so their pain tolerance is usually less 2) they are not as mentally or emotionally developed as adults are, and so will react to many negative encounters with tears.

Beyond that, relating willpower to not crying after being hit is rather off the mark. How, in any way, do they relate?

You'd have to define 'weak willed' for me. If by that, you mean "I don't wanna get up and go for a jog today", that's probably a result of poor diet and adaptation to lazy living conditions (and partly constitution too). Even people with high will saves will be prone to do what they feel like - it's human.

It can be exactly that, especially if they are supposed to be getting up and running (part of a team, part of a new resolution, etc). That would not be related to diet or living conditions, or constitution at all. It can be doing anything they don't want to do, or not doing something they do want to do. As examples:

As a nurse, I've taken care of many patients like the following two:

Patient A is a 65 year old farmwife who had a total knee replacement the previous day. She is 5' 4" and weighs 100 pounds. Even though her pain scale level is a 7 (10 being the worst), she dutifully gets up for physical therapy and walks well, even though it makes her pain worse, because she knows she should.

Patient B is a 65 year old former college professor who also had a total knee replacement the previous day. He is 6' 2" and weighs 225 pounds and is in good overall physical shape. His pain scale level is also a 7, but he does not get up for physical therapy because he does not want his pain to increase. He knows that he must get up if he wishes to recover, but he doesn't want to, so he doesn't.

I don't know that any of this will change your mind, and quite frankly it doesn't matter. I just needed to speak my mind about those two points.

For Valor
2010-07-13, 09:24 PM
@imp_fireball concerning strong personality:

Imagine, if you will, that a man sits in his meditation room and sends his thoughts probing across the globe. When he finds someone he wants to control, he uses his mind-control tactics.

According to D&D, Charisma is force of personality and Wisdom is how well one is attuned to the world. In a battle of pure mental energy, force of personality is a better weapon than being attuned. Charisma is your raw power, and D&D mechanics even reinforce that by associating everything to do with personal magic (which comes from yourself. It is your personal power).

Therefore, when someone tries to take over your mind, you use Charisma to fend them off. That "main character" bullsh*t is about as valid as "it's a fantasy game".

Honestly.

And I'm going to ignore that strawman you made about Init-boosting items.

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 09:30 PM
Alright, 'personality power' is related to charisma because usually the person already has the power and all they need to do is convince it to work for them. It's not 'them' or 'their soul' that they are projecting. Their soul is all three of their mental stats plus their actual role played personality and nothing more (and maybe if using a soul to empower something it probably considers ECL).

Many highly emotional people are also highly flighty and lack any sense of willpower.

There is a very wide range of emotions. Stubborness is an emotion, sorry.

In a battle of pure mental energy, force of personality is a better weapon than being attuned.

Depends on what the rules say. Sometimes 'pure mental energy' is raw brain power, hence Int. Sometimes it's the ability to 'not lose it', hence Wis. Sometimes it's 'force of personality', hence Cha.

Your arguments are pretty strawman too, dude. I mean really. Your just wrapping words into supposed synonyms as if 'force of personality' and 'will power' were the same thing.

Did you know that charisma is a human quality that has hardly been studied? Wikipedia refers to it as a supernatural way with people.

Therefore, when someone tries to take over your mind, you use Charisma to fend them off. That "main character" bullsh*t is about as valid as "it's a fantasy game".

Someone who tries to take over your mind has already gotten into your mind (because they know how to do it; otherwise they wouldn't have done it (or they would have been interrupted by an effect like 'mind blank'). Now, they are warping your reality around you. How do you grow accustomed to this? By saying 'stop it!' really loud? Because that's what charisma is.

For wisdom, you are actually fighting through the pain and not trying to humiliate whoever is attacking you.

Kuma Kode
2010-07-13, 09:33 PM
There is a very wide range of emotions. Stubborness is an emotion, sorry. Yeeeaaahhh, no. I'm gonna have to disagree there. Stubbornness is a character trait. Stubborn is an emotion in the same way curly is a hair color.

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 09:35 PM
Yeeeaaahhh, no. I'm gonna have to disagree there. Stubbornness is a character trait. Stubborn is an emotion in the same way curly is a hair color.

No, it's an emotion brought on by a trait. Talk to a psychologist. The state of being stubborn is an emotional state. Just like curly hair is a hair state. Just like colored items can have texture that can be smoothed, stretched or made coarser.

I know that kidnergarten taught you that the human brain is as easy as pie to figure out and popular psychiatry reinforced this with easy to understand fictional characters, but emotions are actually more complex then happy and sad. There are what we call 'emotional layers'. Stubborn factors into a different layer then 'happy or sad'. It tends to remain until people casually begin referring to it as a 'trait'. And besides, a 'trait' just describes a person. It's not something that they were branded with at birth like a wisdom score is (note I'm not necessarily referring to D&D's traits).

The less perceptive among us, may not fully perceive every emotion that we are feeling except the most surface ones (ever heard of 'bottled up' emotions?).

I think the main source of confusion here is that people tend to believe that someone attacking you mentally is like them having a conversation with you in the recesses of your mind. It could be, but I consider it more like stabbing pain than an actual conversation. They are trying to override your senses - not just say hello.

For Valor
2010-07-14, 10:18 AM
I think the main source of confusion here is that people tend to believe that someone attacking you mentally is like them having a conversation with you in the recesses of your mind. It could be, but I consider it more like stabbing pain than an actual conversation. They are trying to override your senses - not just say hello.

And here's where we get to the point when I ask you, "So, you know what mind control feels like?" and you say "No". All of a sudden, realism is thrown out the window, and Charisma is viable for Will Saves!!!

Unless you've got a counter-argument to my "Mind control doesn't exist in real life" argument, I think the best strategy is to now award Will Saves to Charisma and translate either Rfx Saves or Init to Wisdom. Of course, the realism of both those decisions also bothers me...

Peregrine
2010-07-14, 11:13 AM
And here's where we get to the point when I ask you, "So, you know what mind control feels like?" and you say "No". All of a sudden, realism is thrown out the window, and Charisma is viable for Will Saves!!!

Unless you've got a counter-argument to my "Mind control doesn't exist in real life" argument [snip]

Sure it does, as brainwashing and other forms. But unless someone can tell us how real techniques to resist such things best map to D&D, your point stands: the "best" ability score is what makes the most sense to each of us within our individually-constructed game concepts.

Mine remains Wisdom, because I see it as mental groundedness and resilience. I see using Charisma instead as saying "the best defence is a good offence" -- a valid perspective, and (as I said) eminently suitable for a feat, but the default defence is still "a good defence".

For Valor
2010-07-14, 02:06 PM
Sure it does, as brainwashing and other forms. But unless someone can tell us how real techniques to resist such things best map to D&D, your point stands: the "best" ability score is what makes the most sense to each of us within our individually-constructed game concepts.

Mine remains Wisdom, because I see it as mental groundedness and resilience. I see using Charisma instead as saying "the best defence is a good offence" -- a valid perspective, and (as I said) eminently suitable for a feat, but the default defence is still "a good defence".

Alright, so you've decided that personal opinion is what is going to direct you. Now, as nice as that is, it's not as important as crunch.

My point was that you can't say what mental attribute is best for fighting mental control, so no one should argue about it. The only other thing to be concerned about, in the end, is the crunch. And the crunch says that Charisma is too weak.

zugschef
2010-07-14, 05:50 PM
dobu and me have designed a new skill system using skill groups (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160004), which makes every attribute a potential skill point source. this actually takes intelligence and charisma to the same level.

(you can still housrule wis and cha to will, dex and int to ref and str and con to fort, if you like...)

Peregrine
2010-07-14, 10:58 PM
Alright, so you've decided that personal opinion is what is going to direct you. Now, as nice as that is, it's not as important as crunch.

Beg to differ. :smallsmile: If crunch doesn't match up to expectations, it won't feel "right" or "realistic"*, and players will call the game designers on it. Which this thread ought to amply demonstrate!

* As these forums have taught me, it's not "realism", it's "verisimilitude".

I don't believe that the crunch of Charisma is really as useless as it's made out to be. It's actually comparable to Strength in some ways; useful for certain character classes, safe dump stat otherwise. (Though Charisma is huge when matching stats to roleplaying; Strength is not.) And nobody complains about the uselessness of Strength!

For this reason, I feel the list you posted earlier is misleading; physical attack/damage might look important, but it just isn't for a lot of characters. Let's try a more comprehensive table -- just for the core rules, mind you!

{table=head]Benefit|Str|Dex|Con|Int|Wis|Cha
Attacks|Melee, grapple|Ranged|--|--|--|--
Damage|Melee, some ranged|--|--|--|--|--
AC|No|Yes|No|Duelist only|Monk only|Incorporeal creatures
Saves|--|Ref|Fort|--|Will|--
Points|--|--|HP|Skill points|--|--
Skills|3|9|1|8|6|8
Ability checks|breaking, bull rush, overrun, trip|vs. overrun, vs. trip|vs. various hazards|spot scrying sensor, talk to ettin, vs. contact other plane, vs. maze|failed Decipher Script, failed scroll use, control subjective gravity, identify poison, remember lycanthropy|control golem, various planar binding aspects, resist corporeal instability, vs. all charms, vs. enthrall
Feats|7|17|0|5|2|1
Spells|--|--|--|Wiz|Clr, Drd, Pal, Rgr|Sor, Brd
Features|--|--|Rage|--|monk AC, quivering palm|divine grace, lay on hands, suggestion, smite evil, turn undead, wild empathy
Special attacks|Several|Few|Heaps|None|Few|Heaps
Misc|Encumbrance|Initiative|--|--|--|--
Roleplaying|Low|Low|Low|Very high|High|Very high[/table]

The "Roleplaying" line indicates an ability score's importance to how a character is roleplayed. Naturally this is highly subjective and based on my personal experience. But I think most people would agree that all the mental ability scores are important here and the physical ability scores are not.

The "Feats" line gives a tally of feats that either have an ability score as a prerequisite, or chiefly benefit from that score. It should be noted that almost every feat with such a dependency is for combat use.

This table (and the reading that went into making it) tells me three things.

One, Charisma is definitely underrated -- who remembers that you can make a Charisma check to resist out-of-the-ordinary commands when charmed? That's awesome!

Two, Charisma could still do with some shoring up. There are a lot of effects where your arguments about force of will are spot on: several things should use a Charisma check instead of a Will save. (Resisting intelligent items' Ego, for instance.)

And three, Wisdom cannot afford to lose Will saves, or it will become the new Charisma. One party member will take responsibility for the Wis skills, some characters will depend on it for spells or class features, and everyone else will dump it with glee.

For Valor
2010-07-14, 11:54 PM
On Your Points:
One, Charisma is rated pretty much where it deserves to be. Its use outside of spellcasting is situational at best. Honestly, golem control and resisting corporeal instability?

Two, you agree with my argument.. 'k

Three is a point I understand. However, the arguments given acknowledge that point and look towards putting Wis in Initiative or Rfx. I'm more of a fan of Initiative myself...

...however, I'm starting to lean towards action points now. I'm thinking about giving each tier of balance a certain number of action points per day, and adding Charisma to that number.