PDA

View Full Version : the village burning black knights

super dark33
2010-07-12, 05:10 PM
just give your suggestion for an evil knight party
which include:
a leader
3 fighters (one has granade weapons as specilty and one is quick with ropes and stuff)
a cleric
a mage (sorcerer or wizard)

thay all ride on a beast of some sort, but not a horse.
can you make them?

Skeletor
2010-07-12, 05:12 PM
can you give us any more information on your setting?

super dark33
2010-07-12, 05:13 PM
thay suppose to be evil and each of them has his own pros and cons,
thay work togheter to win and burn stuff

Another_Poet
2010-07-12, 05:13 PM
Also, if you're looking for builds, we need to know what level you want.

Or just google "d20 npc wiki" and grab whichever stats you want.

Boci
2010-07-12, 05:14 PM
As skeletor said, we need more information. Unless the title makes a RPG unknown to me obvious, we need to know what game you are playing and what material is allowed. Based on your requirements I am guessing it is either 3.X or 4.0 D&D, but I could be wrong.

super dark33
2010-07-12, 05:16 PM
thay are level 10+
all have at least one level as the knight prestige class
the 3.5 edition

Boci
2010-07-12, 05:24 PM
Leader could be Bard 1 / Knight 1 / Warblade 8 using white raven song. Requires ToB, but can mostly be accessed online.

Quick with ropes fighter could be crusader 9 / Knight 1 using spiked chain and thicket of blades (requires ToB). Grenadier fighter could be an artificer (requires ECS/EPH) and the third one could be, well anything. Say iron heart focused warblade.

Cleric could go bone knight. Cleric 4 / Knight 1 / Bone knight 5. Requires Five nations.

Mage could be a dwarf using that prestige class to cast in heavy armour, but the name escapes me right now.

super dark33
2010-07-12, 05:28 PM
well its 3.5 and im not quite sure if warblade or cruseder are 4.0 edition or not

oh and i think i forgot the bows guy, a fighter expert with bows

Boci
2010-07-12, 05:32 PM
well its 3.5 and im not quite sure if warblade or cruseder are 4.0 edition or not

Both are 3.5.

Swift hunter could be used for this, but you will need savnok's tooth if you want the knight to wear heavy armour.

Touchy
2010-07-12, 05:33 PM

warblade is 3.5, compared to a fighter, he's much stronger, but he has little-to-no access to ranged combat.

But what's the party you're sending them against, because of the way you don't seem you to know what they are, I assume it's not very optimized.

Yorrin
2010-07-12, 05:47 PM
Why does this sound to me like he's trying to make the Rhino Rough Riders from the Avatar tv show?

If so, your sorcerer is a blaster type who specailizes in fire. There are lots of ways to increase your CL with fire spells, such as Bloodline of Fire (Player's Guide to Faerun) and Elemental Spellcasting (Planar Handbook). Then go to town with Fire Evocations and/or the Orb of Fire line, with various metamagic to fill all your slots.

If not- this is rather sub-optimal, so dont do any of that :P

super dark33
2010-07-12, 05:47 PM
bullseye!
thats EXECLTY what i meant!
the rhino riders but better!

Boci
2010-07-12, 05:57 PM
bullseye!
thats EXECLTY what i meant!
the rhino riders but better!

Do you want the leader to actually provide a mechanical benefit to his troops, or do you just want him to give the orders and fight alongside his men?
Do you want the mage to specialize in fire? I ask because you can burn villages with just torches.

Also, what is their function? To cause terror amougst the enemy and destroy potential supply dumps for rebels?

super dark33
2010-07-12, 06:01 PM
yeah pretty much. the leader helps in fighting but he also support his troops, giving orders and lowers the morale of the enemy by taunting at it
the mage specializes in fire and protection buffs for his allies

thay are the evil raiders who kill the protagonists loved one (black ravens ehm ehm)
and raid the villages by the evil kings command, thay attack refugee camps and rabels who oppose the king.

Boci
2010-07-12, 06:16 PM
Okay, so you need to decide whether or not their monuts are a class feature. This is probably unneeded, so then you just need to decide what their mount is. Warbeast rhino sounds like a good bet.

Leader: debuffing is hard against non-adjacent targets, but there are some abilities that allow you to force enemies to make a willsave or be shacken whenever you charge. Crystalkeep has a regional feat that does just that I believe.

Cleric: Stright cleric can work, possible using DMM persist, or bone knight if you want some undead flavour.

"Quick with ropes" fighter: Is a spiked chain an acceptable level weapon for this one? Do you want them to go battle field control route?

Grenadier: Is the artificer an acceptable class for this one?

Archer: Is swift hunter (scout/ranger) accetable for this one?

Mage: Do you want them to wear heavy armour? If so, then dwarf / dwarven prestige class. If not, just go straight mage, haste at beginning of enounter, followed by empoered fireball, then some orb of fire spells.

super dark33
2010-07-12, 06:18 PM
cleric is no necromancer or even use animate dead,hes a healer (that he is and evil cleric doesnt mean he like undead!)
the mage can wear mithreal and have some fighter levels for the armor
spiked chains,whip with normal damage,all the better.
granadeer can be an one with some fighter levels
the archer is a fighter-ranger

all of tham have some fighter levels

Boci
2010-07-12, 06:28 PM
cleric is no necromancer or even use animate dead,hes a healer

If you do not mind wavering diety and alignment requirements, radient servant of pelor fits this.

No need for fighter, since knight also grants armour use. Go wizard 9 to still get 9th level spells.

spiked chains,whip with normal damage,all the better.

Okay, Battle field control works best for spiked chain, along with willing deformity (tall) to grant 20ft reach.

granadeer can be an one with some fighter levels

This is a bit harder, since mundane granding is hard to do well. SA is usually required to boost damage, which could be done via SA fighter levels.

the archer is a fighter-ranger

Okay. This isn't really my area of expertise, but you might want to consider mystic ranger to get spells sooner, or just forget spells altogether in return for some bonus feats.

super dark33
2010-07-12, 06:32 PM
archer is archer,no magic just archer.

the cleric is able to heal but hes evil

maybe thay will ride hypogriffs?

Boci
2010-07-12, 06:37 PM
archer is archer,no magic just archer.

Then depending on how many levels of ranger they have you may want to swap spell casting for bonus feats as described in CC.

the cleric is able to heal but hes evil

If he's focused on healing the the radient servant of pelor is a good PrC, but you will need to change the aligment and diety requirements.

maybe thay will ride hypogriffs?

Granting them flight would make them significantly more dangerous.

super dark33
2010-07-12, 06:40 PM
i made a god of lawfull evil:

domains:war,destruction,heal and evil
favored weapon:trident
alligment:lawfull evil
his name is primiban

Boci
2010-07-12, 06:42 PM
i made a god of lawfull evil:

domains:war,destruction,heal and evil
favored weapon:trident
alligment:lawfull evil
his name is primiban

Okay, so you can reflavour the RSoP for this diety to boost the clerics healing ability, or just have him as a striaght cleric. Which ever way you fancy.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-12, 07:05 PM
No need for fighter, since knight also grants armour use. Go wizard 9 to still get 9th level spells.

:smallconfused::smallconfused:

Wizard 9 will only get you 5th level spells.

Boci
2010-07-12, 07:08 PM
:smallconfused::smallconfused:

Wizard 9 will only get you 5th level spells.

Yeah, typo sorry. I meant 5th level. With level 10 characters a sorceror was an option as well, but if one level must be of knight then the sorceror would loose out on 5th level spells.

Devils_Advocate
2010-07-13, 12:26 AM
What were you thinking of using for grenades? The bombs from p. 145 of the DMG? I don't know much about alchemical items in 3.5...

I'd consider half-dragon warhorses if you'd like the mounts to be fairly dangerous (and impressive) in their own right. Hippgriffs should suffice if you just want to make the riders more dangerous (and impressive).

For the leader, you maybe you could use something like a Marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b)/Rogue/Blackguard. There don't seem to be as many ways to impose morale penalties as morale bonuses in 3.5, maybe because motivating your allies to perform acts of heroism is cool, but making your enemies under-perform by hurting their feelings just makes your enemies seem like sissies. Which isn't as cool as badasses fighting other badasses. Maybe you should rethink this aspect.

you can reflavour the RSoP for this diety to boost the clerics healing ability
Um, Primiban does not grant the Sun domain, and good thing too, as Sun basically doesn't work for negative energy channellers. Maybe some sort of analogous homebrew PrC could be constructed, but reflavoring and removing the alignment requirement are insufficient, as half of what the Radiant Servant of Pelor does is fundamentally incompatible with how Evil Clerics work.

cleric is no necromancer or even use animate dead,hes a healer (that he is and evil cleric doesnt mean he like undead!)
Well... In 3.5, Evil Clerics rebuke and command undead and spontaneously cast inflict spells that heal the undead rather than cure spells that heal the living. So they are set up, by default, to use undead minions. They can be played against type, of course.

So, an Eldritch Knight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/eldritchKnight.htm), or some similar prestige class? Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer) or Still Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#stillSpell) to avoid arcane spell failure?

all have at least one level as the knight prestige class
Which prestige class is that? Knight is a base class in 3.5, unless I'm horribly mistaken.

super dark33
2010-07-13, 03:49 AM
half dragon horses,how couldnt i think about it?
maybe the leader would be a marshal only.marshal base class opend my eyes..
knigt is a prestieg class in the full fighting book
battle sorcerer is good
forgot about the third fighter:hes a blackguard

Beorn080
2010-07-13, 03:56 AM
I'm seeing Druids riding dinosaurs into battle. Fire seeds, wild shape into dire polar bears or something for fighting, various debuffs on the leader, those manipulate plant spells for ropes, and firestorm and the like for the flame mage.

I'd run actual builds, but then I remembered, druid. 10 levels and call it a day.

super dark33
2010-07-13, 03:59 AM
hmmmm druids are ok but thay are supposed to be knights with shiny black armor that burn villages and if thay must thay burn forests.

Beorn080
2010-07-13, 04:00 AM
Black dragon Full Plate.

hamishspence
2010-07-13, 04:37 AM
Possibly the blighter PRC for Druids, in Complete Divine, as well?

Devils_Advocate
2010-07-13, 04:41 AM
Oh, so the third fighter you mentioned isn't the archer? Let me see if I've got this straight, now:

- 1 leader
- 1 grenadier
- a spiked chain battlefield control character, probably
- 1 Blackguard
- 1 archer
- 1 Cleric
- 1 gish (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicKnight)

7 bad guys total.

maybe the leader would be a marshal only.marshal base class opend my eyes..
That was my first thought, but then I noticed that the 10th and 11th levels of the class sorta... don't do anything. Of course, if you want the leader to be level 10 or 11, you could just swap in a Fighter level or two, if you were thinking about giving all of these characters Fighter levels anyway. Or that knight prestige class you mentioned.

When you said "thay are level 10+", did you mean the knights or the PCs? At first I thought that you meant the PCs, but in retrospect it seems more likely that you meant the knights. So, to clarify: What level are the PCs, and how many of them are there? And what level range(s) did you want for this party that you're designing?

knigt is a prestieg class in the full fighting book
I... see. What's the name of this "full fighting book"? :smallconfused:

Edit: A group of druids who want to burn down a village that they think is threatening nature could be interesting opponents, but that sounds a bit different from what the OP had in mind.

Also. Keep in mind that it is the DM asking for build advice here. Assuming that it's bad for monsters and NPCs to utterly slaughter the PCs and then violate their corpses, maybe we shouldn't be trying to construct horrifying engines of death and destruction who can murder things at high efficiency for their level, as unconventional as that may sound. :smalltongue:

(To anyone who may be confused by me saying that in response to the simple advice of just making the whole team single-classed Druids: You're not very familiar with what Druids are capable of, are you? :smalltongue:)

super dark33
2010-07-13, 08:08 AM
so let me get it streight:

captain leader:fighter/ marshal
black guard:fighter/blackguard or falladin/black guard
ropey: full fighter
bandage box:cleric/fighter
archer:fighter/ranger
warcerer:fighter/sorcerer

JeenLeen
2010-07-13, 08:31 AM
For the cleric, the Combat Medic PrC from Heroes of Battle gives some nice increasing to your healing and lets you spontaneously cast Heal. You'd need to waive the alignment, if I recall correctly, but that shouldn't be problematic.

There is also the War Weaver PrC in that book. You lose a caster level, but can put your buffs on the entire team for one casting. Very useful for things like Stoneskin (although you still pay for each casting), Protection from X spells, and other low-level one-target spells. It can also be used to quickly disseminate a series of buffs to the party in one turn (such as Haste, Stoneskin, Protection from Good, and whatever else you want), allowing you to quickly buff.

Boci
2010-07-13, 08:31 AM
black guard:fighter/blackguard or falladin/black guard

Consider just using a straight paladin, using an aligment variant such as LE or CE.

super dark33
2010-07-13, 10:15 AM
well, do anybody know a DND 3.5 ed charecter ganarator?

Ormagoden
2010-07-13, 10:33 AM
Boci! I gotta say I'm impressed with your dedication to help out!
I'll see if I can lend a hand!

Beorn080
2010-07-13, 12:21 PM
(To anyone who may be confused by me saying that in response to the simple advice of just making the whole team single-classed Druids: You're not very familiar with what Druids are capable of, are you? :smalltongue:)

Oh, I know what Druids are capable of. I presumed that, as the DM, he wouldn't go into horrible levels of overpoweredness when fighting the PC's.

Lets see, I picture the Leader on a T-rex, using his height advantage from sitting on the head to survey the battlefield.

The fighters on Megaraptors, preferably with a special saddle that would let the raptors pounce and let the fighters full attack as well.

The cleric, on an elasmosaurus.

The caster should be on a pterodactyl or similar.

super dark33
2010-07-13, 01:05 PM
sooo, does anyone know about a 3.5 ed charecter genarator?

Yorrin
2010-07-13, 01:29 PM
All the 3.5 charrie generators I've seen have sucked so bad that they're practically unusable.

warcerer:fighter/sorcerer

I had an idea for this. How open are you to Dragon Magazine? #283 has a prestige class called Flame Steward that gets some nice fiery at-wills, full BAB, and some Strength boosts. You'd have to ignore the alignment restriction (non-evil, unless you wanted this guy to be CN or something), and you might also want to fudge the skill requirements as well (Heal, Know:Religion, Know: Arcana). But once you're in it's exactly what you're looking for.

super dark33
2010-07-13, 01:48 PM
so umm can anyone make them for me?
i aint got all the books or charecter sheets.
put a link here for them ok?
cookies for the one who makes the best black knights!

Yorrin
2010-07-13, 02:21 PM
Since you asked so nicely here you go. (http://tinyurl.com/y8ufsnp)

No, but seriously, it's one thing to ask for build advice- but asking for a complete character sheet, much less five, using books you don't even own is kinda rude...

super dark33
2010-07-13, 03:40 PM
what is it supposed to be?
i dont see anything

Boci
2010-07-13, 03:42 PM
what is it supposed to be?
i dont see anything

It appears to be blocked for anyone outside the USA.

super dark33
2010-07-13, 05:34 PM
than will anyone make them and show tham to me?

Yorrin
2010-07-13, 06:52 PM
It was a rickroll :smallsigh:
Highlight the post for full message.

super dark33
2010-07-14, 04:16 AM
well damn....
so if anyone gonna make them PM me

super dark33
2010-07-14, 10:47 AM
then noone will make them......