PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed arcane classes?

gallagher
2010-07-12, 07:07 PM
so i am running a game in the upcoming fall where the players are to homebrew a class, or at least use a homebrewed class if they dont have time to make one. there is, however, a guys girlfriend who wants to play, and wants to be a BOOM FIREBALL caster. they are starting at level 5 ish, and going hopefully to level 20 without needing to prestige class.

i do not have time to help her homebrew it, her boyfriend has never played a caster before, and she is right now learning how to play by watching a little and some interaction (playing a one-shot character for a dungeon every now and then, some RP sometimes), so none of us are really capable or reliable for making an arcanist.

does anyone have any knowledge of a good homebrewed arcane blasting class? these guys' goals are to be around tier 3 in terms of power.

for reference on what one of the characters will be in the game, here is what one guy will be playing (http://padfly.com/captain) (that has yet to be adjusted, for things like no leadership allowed and such)

Skeletor
2010-07-12, 07:09 PM
blasting characters are very boring in my opinion. Play a batman caster and be happy.

Boci
2010-07-12, 07:10 PM
Sorceror with energy substitution and some metamagic feats is a functional blaster. They would probably be tier 3. Alternativly, look for fixes to the warmage class.

blasting characters are very boring in my opinion. Play a batman caster and be happy.

A bit complicated for a new character though.

Fax Celestis
2010-07-12, 07:13 PM

They are also very very complicated to play. This is not something to start out with.

You can get away with a warmage for simplicity's sake. You could also try my cleric (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124934), with one of Fire, Cold, Storm, Magic for Domain, and any two others for devotions. Call it an arcane caster, switch the casting from Wis to Int, call it a day.

gallagher
2010-07-12, 07:14 PM

but she hasnt played before. a batman wizard will be very difficult, not to mention much more powerful than the rest of the party (they need to be around tier 3)

*.*.*.*
2010-07-12, 07:16 PM
does anyone have any knowledge of a good homebrewed arcane blasting class? these guys' goals are to be around tier 3 in terms of power.

If you don't mind tome~

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Fire_Mage_%283.5e_Class%29

gallagher
2010-07-12, 07:17 PM
They are also very very complicated to play. This is not something to start out with.

You can get away with a warmage for simplicity's sake. You could also try my cleric (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124934), with one of Fire, Cold, Storm, Magic for Domain, and any two others for devotions. Call it an arcane caster, switch the casting from Wis to Int, call it a day.

Fax, i must say i have looked through alot of your homebrew, and your posts are always incredibly helpful. someday i am gonna buy you a drink or something.

that cleric seems liek a good option. i am gonna bring the best of the options that i think would work from this board and present them to the player. since it is ultimately her decision on what she wants to play, i think she has the final say on the class

SurlySeraph
2010-07-12, 07:17 PM
Sorcerer or Warmage is really the easiest.

DragoonWraith
2010-07-12, 07:18 PM
A fixed Warmage, or perhaps better a Warlock, seems about right.

My Invoker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153863) would work out pretty well, if I'd gotten around to writing up new invocations for it... If you're interested in it, let me know, I can probably whip up a few blasty invocations over the next couple of days.

Skeletor
2010-07-12, 07:20 PM
could always go warlock.

jiriku
2010-07-12, 07:25 PM
Emberhaunt. Check the link in my sig.

Fax Celestis
2010-07-12, 07:34 PM
Fax, i must say i have looked through alot of your homebrew, and your posts are always incredibly helpful. someday i am gonna buy you a drink or something.

Awesome. I enjoy cider, rum, and various kinds of martini. :smallwink:

theos911
2010-07-12, 08:00 PM
I'll second the warlock idea. See if alignment and heritage can be refluffed if she dislikes evil. Also, if she can PrC out I recommend the evocant champ in my sig. The one important thing is that for evocation, the spells go down a "round time slot" essentially she can metamagic as a blasty sorcerer into full round casting time and swift evocation will take it to a standard. Personally, I believe that a sorcerer entry into my evocant champ is one of the best ways for new players to play a blaster sorcerer, have fun, be moderately effective, learn about metamagic, and also learn that the others schools are cool as well without them having to learn it through sucking at blasting. Only problem is the entry reqs; as a vanilla caster she'd need to be lvl 10 for BaB and waste some feats or dip something for the proficiencies. If you like we could alter it a bit to be more friendly to vanilla casters. I'd probably drop the BaB and weapons reqs. Make the reqs be CL 3 one metagmagic feat and able to cast 1 1st. lvl evocation spells. Drop the BaB to poor and drop martial arcanist. I'd move arcane boost up to level 5 and make it so that instead of the melee things you can sacrifice a spell slot to increase the effective caster level of another spell you cast by that sacrificed spells level. I'd also add you can't sacrifice a spell whose level is more than 4. Since level 3 is now empty I'd add in a bonus feat as a wizard. Overall it sounds good to me, but the arcane boost might still need some work. It seems a bit much at low lvl and then a bit less at high level; It needs some sort of scaling effect. Opinion?

And I hope my Wall O' Text was helpful somehow.

@jiriku
I just looked at the classes in your sig. In case no one has ever told you before; THOSE..ARE..FREAKIN..SWEET! I rest my case.

Evard
2010-07-12, 08:15 PM
Ok so as soon as I read the op I skipped to here...

Go druid (aspect of nature would be fun) then go blighter! Blighters get to make things light on fire :3

change the fluff and some class features there you go ;)

gorfnab
2010-07-12, 08:20 PM
How about the Blue Mage? (originally from New Class - Blue Mage (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19526914/New_Class_-_Blue_Mage!))

THE BLUE MAGE

As the intense battle rages on, the party all seeks cover behind the many support pillars in the citadel. "You cannot hide from me forever!" cackles the evil mage as he lobs yet another blast of the eerily unfamiliar spell.

"What can we do?!" the cleric hollers, "That spell is cutting through all of our defenses!"

Suddenly, the strange spellcaster, all clad in robes of purest Azure, stands with an odd smirk on his face. "What WE need is a spell like his!" He steps quietly from behind his pillar, brandishing a confident grimace.

"Fool!" the evil mage shouts as the blue hero is struck squarely in the chest with yet another mystery blast and knocked bleeding to the floor.

"You MORON!" the fighter bellows. "What we need is a spell like his, not a dead mage!" The blue one only laughs through his bloodied lips.

"What?" the rogue says, "Can you cast a spell that can save us?"

With a silent smile, and a clenched fist, the Blue robed mage mutters, "I can now..."

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Blue Mages have the following game statistics.

Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d6.

Class Skills
The Blue Mage's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (the Planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

The Blue Mage
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th| 9th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Blue Magic, Indigo Infusion|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Been there, Done that (+1)|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Creature Magic (+1)|4|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Been there, Done that (+2)|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Azure Awareness|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Been there, Done that (+3), Creature Magic (+2)|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|--|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Been there, Done that (+4)|4|4|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Creature Magic (+3)|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Turquoise Efficiency, Been there, Done that (+5)|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|--|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Been there, Done that (+6), Creature Magic (+4)|4|4|4|4|3|2|2|-|-|-

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|--|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+9|Been there, Done that (+7)|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+9|Improved Azure Awareness, Creature Magic (+5)|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|Been there, Done that (+8)|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|--|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Been there, Done that (+9), Creature Magic (+6)|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|--|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+10|Cerulean Reflection, Been there, Done that (+10)|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4[/table]

Class features
All of the following are class features of the Blue Mage.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Blue Mages are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a sorcerer’s gestures, which can cause his spells with somatic components to fail.

Use Magical Device: A Blue Mage's spell list is considered to be the spells he/she knows.

Spells: The Blue Mage casts spontaneously, as a Sorceror. His/her Charisma controls the level of the spells he/she is able to cast, spells' saving throw DCs, and bonus spells per day. Spells per day are shown on the table above.

Blue Magic (Ex): The only way a Blue Mage may learn new spells is to experience them. A spell that is saved for and the result is (Neg.), is not counted as experencing the spell. Once affected, the Blue Mage may make a Spellcraft check (DC 15+3 times the spell's level) to learn it.

Spell Resistance totally blocks the spell from reaching the Blue Mage. This is tantamount to not being affected, even more to a point than saving versus a (Neg.) spell. Under no circumstances may a Blue Mage learn a spell that has been stopped by Spell Resistance.

Spells cast through Blue Magic require a somatic and/or verbal component as the original version of the spell, but never require a divine focus or material component worth less than 1 gp. (Material focus components, such as for the Fire Seed or Analyze Dweomer spells, or costly material components as for Identify, are still required.)

The Blue Mage may also learn spell-like abilities, provided that the spell like ability mirrors a spell. For instance, if a creature can naturally cast Fireball 3/day, the Blue Mage would be able to learn this 3rd level spell. Spell-like abilities are cast by the Blue Mage with components and casting times equal to the sorceror/wizard (or a class specified by the DM) spell duplicated. If a creature ability does not duplicate a spell effect (such as Mind Blast for an Illithid), the Blue Mage cannot learn it.

A Blue Mage can know a number of spell levels equal to five times his/her class level plus his/her Intelligence modifier. For purposes of calculating spells known, a 0-level spell counts as half of a spell level. As long as he/she is conscious, a Blue Mage may voluntarily forget a spell at as a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

If learning a spell causes the Blue Mage's spell levels known to exceed his capacity, he must make a Will save each round or lose 1 point of Wisdom for each spell level known above capacity, beginning with the round in which the spell is learned. The DC for the save is equal to 10 plus the number of spell levels above capacity. Wisdom lost in this way persists until the Blue Mage's spell levels known fall below his limit, at which point it may be recovered naturally or magically. The DC for the Will save increases by +1 for every consecutive round.

A Blue Mage may only learn a number of spell levels in a day equal to his/her level plus his/her Int modifier. For instance, a 10th level Blue Mage with an Int of 16, in one day, may learn a total of 13 spell levels. 0 level spells count as 1/2 for purposes pertaining to this limit.

At first level, a Blue Mage may select 2 0-level spells and 1 1st level spell, from any spell list.

Creature Magic (Ex): A Blue Mage possesses the ability to sense inherent magical ability in creatures. By observing a creature carefully, a Blue Mage can identify magical or supernatural qualities present in a creature. The Blue Mage must be able to observe the creature for a full round. At the end may receive the listed Creature Magic bonus to any Knowledge check made for identifying creatures' special abilities and/or vulnerabilities, per the PHB listing of this skill (PHB 78). This bonus does not apply to any other use of a Knowledge check, and unlike most Knowledge checks, the Blue Mage may retry the check (after spending another full round observing the creature). The Creature Magic bonus, which is a competence bonus, is equal to +1 at level 3, +2 at level 6, and increases by by +1 every three levels thereafter (+3 at 9th level, +4 at 12th, etc.).

If a Blue Mage successfully identifies a creature's spell-like ability through the use of Creature Magic, he/she receives a +2 insight bonus to his/her Spellcraft rolls to learn that ability. This bonus lasts for 1 minute per level.

Indigo Infusion (Su): A 1st level Blue Mage has the ability to change any garment/equipment he/she is wearing/wielding to the match his color affinity. This takes 1 minute of undisturbed concentration to complete. This change is not permanent; when the item in question leaves the Blue Mage's person or when the Blue Mage who infused it chooses to dismiss the infusion, it returns to its normal colour in 1d4 rounds. As an example of how this looks, a Flametongue sword might be wreathed in blue fire. This has no other effect than altering the item's appearance.

The title "Blue Mage" (and the named abilities of this class) only refers to the most common spellcaster of this type; casters with other color affinities exist and, though uncommon, are not rare. (Color affinity is selected by the player when Indigo Infusion is acquired, and my not be changed thereafter. Nontraditional color selections are under the purview of the DM.)

Been there, Done that (Ex): A Blue Mage of 2nd level gains a +1 competence bonus to a saving throw against any spell he currently knows through the Blue Magic ability. This bonus increases by +1 for every two additional Blue Mage levels (+2 at 4th level, +3 at 6th, etc.).

Azure Awareness (Ex): Upon reaching 5th level, the Blue Mage has become more sensitive to the feel of magic. The Blue Mage may now learn a spell even when its effect is negated by a successful save. However, learning a negated spell is more difficult, and the Spellcraft DC is 15+4 times Spell Level.

Turquoise Efficiency (Ex): The Blue Mage has learned the art of thrift. Whenever a Blue Mage learns a spell, he or she can conserve the energy involved in its casting and gains a temporary spell slot for the sole use of the spell just learned. This spell slot is fleeting, and only remains for a number of rounds equal to the Blue Mage's level divided by 5.

Improved Azure Awareness (Ex): The Blue Mage is now a conduit between magical and physical existence. By interacting with a spell's effect for 1 round per spell level, the Blue Mage may attempt to learn "passive" spells. Spells without targets, such as Walls, Summoned Monsters, and Creation spells may be learned through this method. The Spellcraft DC for learning a spell in this way is 15 plus four times spell level (as a negated spell via Azure Awareness).

Cerulean Reflection (Su): Whenever the Blue Mage successfully counterspells a spell, it is reflected full upon the caster. If the counterspell is on a spell that normally could not affect its caster, the spell is simply countered normally. (Unlike the Arch-Mage ability, this does not take up a permanent slot.)

Starting Age: as Sorceror
Starting Gold: as Sorceror

New Blue Feats

SAPPHIRE SCHOOL MASTERY [General]
Prerequisites: Azure Awareness
Benefit: Choose a school of magic (Transmutation, Divination, etc). You gain a +2 to Spellcraft checks involving that school. You may also attempt to learn passive Blue Magic spells of that school as though you possess Improved Azure Awareness.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new school of magic. This feat overlaps (does not stack with) the Improved Azure Awareness class ability (though the Spellcraft bonus still applies).

FLEXIBLE MIND [General]
Prerequisites: Blue Magic, Combat Reflexes
Benefit: Your grasp of blue magic is like second nature; spell knowledge flows easily through your mind. Forgetting one of your spells known may be performed as a free action, as a Quickened spell, even at the very instant a new spell is learned via the Blue Magic class ability (thus potentially avoiding Wisdom loss due ot being over limit).
Normal: Forgetting a spell requires a move action.
Special: Note that under normal circumstances, only one Quickened spell may be cast per round; using this feat counts against this restriction just as though the caster had cast a Quickened spell.

IMPROVED BLUE LEARNING [General]
Prerequisites: Blue Magic
Benefit: The maximum number of spell levels per day that you can learn increases by 3.
Special: A character may gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

COBALT FORTITUDE [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on Fortitude saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
Special: This bonus stacks with Great Fortitude. This bonus is only against spells and spell-like effects.

BLUING INSTINCT [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on Reflex saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
Special: This bonus stacks with Lightning Reflexes. This bonus is only against spells and spell-like effects.

POWER TO BURN [General]
Prerequisites: Endurance, Ability to cast Arcane spells spontaneously, Int 13, Cha 13
Benefit: You can cast one of your spontaneous spells using a lower level spell slot than would normally be required for that spell, including any Metamagic effects. The spell's level remains the same. Other requirements must still be met (knowledge of the spell, sufficiently high casting stat).
For each level the slot is below the required level, you take 1d6 Intelligence damage and 1d6 Charisma damage. (This damage takes place after the resolution of the spell, and thus does not affect spell DCs, and cannot be healed by the spell cast.) If either Intelligence or Charisma is reduced to 0 by this damage, the shock to your system is immediately fatal unless you succeed at a Fortitude save, DC = 10 + 5 times the number of spell levels exceeded.
Normal: You can only use a spell slot to cast a spell of equal or lower level.

Epic Blue Mage
{table=head]Level|Special

21st|Creature Magic +7

22nd|Been there, Done that +11

23rd|--

24th|Been there, Done that +12, Creature Magic +8

25th|Bonus feat

26th|Been there, Done that +13

27th|Creature Magic +9

28th|Been there, Done that +14

29th|--

30th|Been there, Done that +15, Bonus Feat, Creature Magic +10[/table]

The Epic Blue Mage retains the same HD and skill progression and continues to advance in the Been There Done That and Creature Magic abilities. The Epic Blue Mage also gains a bonus feat at 25th level, and every 5 levels after that, chosen from the Sorcerer list, (minus the Familiar-based ones), and the new Epic Feats listed below.

Under no circumstances can a Blue Mage learn Epic spells through Blue Magic. The Blue Mage must take the Epic feat "Epic Blue Spellcasting" and/or learn Epic spells normally.

New Blue Epic Feats

EPIC BLUE SPELLCASTING [Epic]
Prerequisites: Ability to cast 9th level spells, 27 Ranks in Spellcraft, 27 Ranks in Knowledge: Arcana, Epic Spellcasting, Blue Magic class ability.
Benefit: When an Epic spell is cast upon you, you may attempt to partially learn it. The DC for this is equal to 15 + Spellcraft DC of the spell. This patially learned spell takes up ten spell slots until it is either forgotten or researched. A partially learned spell may not be cast, but only requires half as much time, gold, and experience to research as would normally be required for that Epic spell.
Normal: You may not learn Epic spells through the Blue Magic ability.

INCREASED BLUE KNOWLEDGE [Epic]
Prequisite: Ability to cast 9th level spells, Blue Magic class ability.
Benefit: The limit on the total amount of spell levels the Blue Mage may know increases by 10.
Normal: A BM may know a number of spell levels equal to his/her class level times five, plus Int modifier.
Special: This feat may be taken more than once. Its effects stack.

HEIGHTENED INDIGO INFUSION [Epic]
Prerequisite: Indigo Infusion Class ability
Benefit: Using the Indigo Infusion ability is now a free action. Additionally, all spells/spell-like abilities you can cast may take on your color, which giving them a +8 DC to identify with spellcraft checks unless the one making it is a blue mage himself (regardless of color affinity). The Blue mage can choose when casting a spell wether he chooses to use this ability or not, at no additional casting time cost. He can also use this ability on spell effects produced by magic items as a free action; a Wand of fireball could shoot a blue fireball, and have a +8 DC to identify it.
Normal: Indigo Infusion only affects worn equpiment.

BLUE MIMICRY [Epic]
Prerequisite: Ability to cast 9th level spells, Blue Magic class ability, Spellcraft Ranks 25.
Benefit: You may now learn spells with certain metamagic effects applied to them. For Blue Magic considerations, the spell is considered to be the level of the slot expended by the original caster (so a Maximized Fireball is a 6th level spell). The only Metamagic effects that are learnable in this way are ones that change the numeric data of the spell. Heighten, Maximize, Empower, Extend, and Energy Admixture are examples of this. Quicken, Still Spell, Silent Spell, Twin Spell, Repeat Spell and the like are not learnable through Blue Mimicry. If a spell has both types of metamagic applied to it, those effects not applicable are ignored, and the spell level is adjusted as necessary. For example, a Maximized, Stilled Fireball Heightened twice costs its caster a ninth level spell slot (3+3+1+2) but is learned and cast by a Blue Mage as an eighth level spell (3+3+2).
Normal: A spell learned with Blue Magic is learned as the base spell.
Special: Since the spell is learned with the metamagic feat already in place, it does not take a full-round action to cast. Normal rules for applying metamagic apply (Empower and Maximize do not affect each other, etc.); see the metamagic feat descriptions for more specific information.

EXTENDED AZURE AWARENESS [Epic]
Prerequisites: Blue Magic and Improved Azure Awareness class abilities, Spellcraft 24 ranks, one of the following; Alertness feat, Blindfight feat, or Uncanny Dodge class ability.
Benefit: You may use the Blue Magic ability to learn spells or spell-like abilities taking effect up to 5 feet away at a penalty of -5 to your Spellcraft check. As with other spells a blue magic user is not directly affected by, the DC to learn the spell is 15+4 times the level of the spell to be learned.
Normal: You must directly interact with a magical effect to learn it.
Special: This feat can be taken multiple times. Each time this feat is taken, it increases the distance a spell can be learned from by 5 feet. When this ability is used, a penalty of -5 for each 5 feet between you and the effect applies. Turquoise Efficiency may not be used in conjunction with this feat.

THE BLUE MAGE
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: Which happens first: learning the spell or the effects of the spell?
A: The two happen simultaneously. No benefits gained from learning the spell on the effects of the spell (such as the bonus to your wave from Been There, Done That) apply to the casting of the spell from which you learned it, and no benefits gained from the effects of the spell (such as the increase to Intelligence from Fox’s cunning) apply to learning the spell.

Q: Can I learn spells of any level, or only of levels I can cast?
A: Any level, as long as you can make the Spellcraft check and have enough spells levels learned per day remaining. You still can’t cast it, though (other than through Turquoise Efficiency).

Q: Can I learn divine spells, such as cure light wounds?
A: You can learn any spell as long as you experience it somehow (or have Azure Awareness and/or Improved Azure Awareness, depending on the spell) and can make the Spellcraft check. You still cast all your spells as arcane spells though.

Q: From what source do I cast these divine spells, and do I gain alignment restrictions?
A: You cast these spells as arcane spells (in other words, they emanate from the same source as your other spells: your personal power). You do not gain alignment restrictions.

Q: What happens if I learn a spell that has a metamagic applied to it?
A: You learn every spell at its unmodified level without any metamagic feats applied. You learn a maximized, extended, cold-subbed fireball as the 3rd level spell fireball without any alterations.

Q: How do I find out what level a spell-like ability is?
A: There a number of ways you could do this. The first option is to check the spell. If the spell appears on only one list (such as magic missile), then simple use that level. If multiple class lists are mentioned (and they are not all the same level of spell), then it becomes more complicated. If the spell-like ability offers a save, it will be listed, along with the name of the ability that modifies it. Subtract this ability modifier and an additional 10 from the save DC and number remaining is the level of the spell. If the spell-like ability doesn’t offer a save (or, for whatever reason, doe not list one), then simply treat the spell-like ability as a spell cast by the highest level list (so if a spell is on the Bard, Cleric, and Druid lists as levels 2, 3, and 4 respectively, treat the spell-like ability as a fourth level spell).

Q: But what if the spell is on multiple class lists and I learn it from a spellcaster?
A: In that case, you learn it at the level the caster casts it. Example: a Blue Mage who learns irresistible dance would learn it as a 6th level spell if it was cast by a Bard, but as an 8th level spell if cast by a Sorcerer or Wizard.

Q: If I learn a spell of a level above that which I can cast and I find a scroll or wand containing the spell, do I still have to make a caster level check to cast it?
A: Magic items such as wand use the spell trigger method and merely require the spell to be on your spell list. Example: a 2nd level Blue Mage may freely use a wand of fly if she knows fly. Items such as scrolls use the spell completion method, and are a bit more complicated. Even if you know the spell, you still must have a Charisma score equal to 10 + the level of the spell in order to cast the spell off the scroll, you must know the spell, and your caster level must be equal to or greater than that of the scroll. In other words, if you know the spell but cannot cast it, you cannot cast the spell off the scroll. In order to cast the spell off of the scroll, you must either make a Use Magical Device or a caster level check (choose beforehand).

Q: Is it true that the Blue Mage is allowed to make retries of knowledge checks?
A: Yes, but only for the purposes of ascertaining the special abilities or weaknesses of creatures. This is mainly because he is trying to “feel” the creature’s magical ability and isn’t linked as strongly to actual book study.

Q: I am rolling up a Blue Mage above 1st level. How do I decide which spells I know?
A: The question, like starting items when starting above 1st, is up to your DM. Other than your initial 3 spells (2 of which must be 0-level spells and 1 of which must be 1st level), every spell known must be a spell that you can actually learn. However you choose your spells, the DM is allowed to strike whichever spells he or she sees fit from your list of spells known beforehand.

Q: What about those first three?
A: Those first three spells can be whatever spells you like. Example: you could pick ghost sound, silent image, and read magic..

Q: Does the Blue Mage allow multiclassing?
A: Yes it does, just like every other core class. In its very early stages of development, it was forbidden to multiclass due to dipping problems, but the class has since been reworked upwards of 50 times and now allows multiclassing as normal.

Q: What about Psionic Powers? Can I learn those?
A: Like Psionics themselves, this is wholly up to your DM.

Q: Do I lose out on spell levels known if I take levels in Prestige Classes that offer caster levels (such as Archmage)?
A: No. Add any additional Blue Mage caster levels to your Blue Mage level to determine spell levels known (but not caster levels from other classes. A Blue Mage 1/ Sorcerer 15/Archmage 4 casts Blue Mage spells as a level 1 Blue Mage and only knows a number of spell levels equal to 5 + Int modifier. But a Blue Mage 15/Archmage 5 would cast spells as a 20th level Blue Mage and knows a number of spell levels equal to 100(5 times 20) + Int modifier).

Q: What do you mean by “experience” a spell?
A: Generally “experiencing” a spell is what would happen to you if you failed the save, or if the save was only for partial. If something happens to you because of the spell, chances are you experienced it. At 5th level, the Blue Mage can learn spells even if he makes the save to negate, and at 15th level, he can learn spells which do not directly effect him (such as Summon Monster spells), although in both cases he needs to make a higher Spellcraft check than normal to do so.

Q: What about spells that don’t offer a save, but have the possibility of not effecting you either, such as Power Word Kill?
A: If the spell doesn’t offer a save in certain circumstances, treat it as if it had a save for negate and you made it. In other words: If someone tired to cast power word kill on you and you had more than 100 hit points, then the Spellcraft check to learn it would be 51. If you had fewer than 100 hit points (and the spell therefore killed you), then you still make the Spellcraft check but as DC 42 (and if you are ever resurrected, you return knowing the spell).

Q: I’m confused by “Improved Azure Awareness.” What do you mean by “interact with,” exactly?
A: “Interacting with” a passive spell is generally simple: touch it. In the case of a summon monster spell, you must effectively grapple with the monster summoned for one round per spell level. In the case of the wall of force, you must place your hands on the wall and concentrate for the appropriate amount of time.

Q: How exactly can a Blue Mage learn spells with a range of Personal?
A: He can make use of the Use Magical Device skill which was made a class skill for this very reason. Because he has such a small class list, Use Magical Device was added to ensure that he could use scrolls, wands, and other magic items occasionally.

Q: If I have SR and block the spell because of that, can I try to learn it?
A: No. Spell Resistance wholly blocks the spell and prevents you from learning it, although you can usually voluntarily allow your Spell Resistance to fail and let the spell though.

Q: If I am hit by a spell such as wish or miracle that was used to duplicate a spell, what Spellcraft check do I use, and which spell do I learn?
A: In this case, you learn the root spell and use its level to determine the Spellcraft check. Example: if Gerald the Wizard casts wish to duplicate magic missile, you must make a Spellcraft check of 42 in order to learn it, and the spell you would learn is wish.

gallagher
2010-07-12, 08:20 PM
Awesome. I enjoy cider, rum, and various kinds of martini. :smallwink:

shaken, not stirred? vodka or gin?

and when i typed out that message, i almost offered to buy you a drunk. imagine the market for such a product!

Fax Celestis
2010-07-12, 08:24 PM
shaken, not stirred? vodka or gin?

Shaken, vodka. And my first name is James...

mabriss lethe
2010-07-12, 08:49 PM
I'm going to second/third the idea of a homebrewed invoker.

To keep it simple, you could simply base it on the warlock, strip down the invoker's class features and give it a new invocation at every level.

If there's absolutely a spell that the party must have to save it's collective behind, but doesn't, require a spellcraft check of DC 20+2*spell level(arcane spells only) as a full round (or longer) action. She'd effectively be calling up a bunch of raw eldritch energy and then shaping it into a spell effect on the spot. Failure would cause backlash, Xd6 where X is the level of the spell being emulated. (I just made this up on the fly, DC may be a bit off, YMMV)

Give bonus feats every 5 levels, chosen from a general list that either improves EB usage or improves SLA usage (Examples, point blank shot, Improved initiative, precise shot, empower SLA, spell penetration, extra invocation)

Ilriyn
2010-07-13, 01:05 AM
I've always loved playing blasters, but I haven't found a good blaster from WoTC, so I made my own (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152238). It's called the Channeler, and it fits in perfectly with a group at a teir 3 power-level.