PDA

View Full Version : Druid v. Druid [PF + 3.5]

Runeclaw
2010-07-12, 08:22 PM
My Druid 11 / Nature's Warrior 2 is likely going to be dueling an NPC Dark Druid for control of a Circle.

We're apparently not allowed to being with any active spells.

I know nothing of the NPC's build, beyond that he's a Druid. I'd guess he's my same level but that's just an assumption.

I won't have time to purchase any new equipment or anything like that, most likely, so what would you suggest in terms of spells to prepare and tactics to employ? Critiques of my build won't be especially helpful. I'm usually a self-buffing meleer, but that may not work well in this case.

Character Sheet

Dalerick

Druid 11 / Nature's Warrior 2
Race: Elf
Patron: Mielikki
Caster Level: 1 +2 v SR

Strength: 15 +2
Dexterity: 16 +3
Constitution: 12 +1
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 18 +4
Charisma: 12 +1

Skills (Total of Ranks, Ability Score and Bonuses)
-----------------------------------------------
Acrobatics 8
Appraise 0
Bluff 0
Climb 7
Craft 0
Diplomacy 0
Disguise 1
Escape Artist 3
Fly 7
Handle Animal 13
Heal 8
Intimidate 1
Knowledge (Local) 12
Knowledge (Nature) 10
Knowledge (Planes) 4
Knowledge (Religion) 2
Linguistics 1
Perception 15
Perform 1
Ride 10
Sense Motive 4
Spellcraft 5 +2 to Identify
Stealth 12
Survival 14
Swim 6
Use Magical Device 3

Fortitude 15
Reflex 8
Will 13 +2 v Enchantment

Base Attack: 10
Armor Class: 25
Barkskin AC: 30
Move: 30
Hit Points: 104
CMB: +12
CMD: 25

Feats
Augmented Summoning
Craft Magical Arms/Armor
Fast Wildshape
Foe Hunter [Orcs]
Initiate of Nature
Leadership
Luck of Heroes
Militia
Natural Spell
Power Attack
Spell Focus [Conjuration]
Survivor

Class Abilities
Command Animals/Plants 4/Day
Nature Bond
Nature Sense
Resist Nature's Lure
Trackless Step
Venom Immunity
Wild Empathy
Wild Shape 5/Day
Woodland Stride

Traits
Uncivilized

Nature's Armaments
Wild Growth Fast Heaing 1

Languages
Common, Druidic, Sylvan

Racial Abilities
Low Light Vision
Immunity Sleep

Equipment
Greatsword +3, Undead Bane
Greatsword +3, Giant Bane
Elven Court Bow +4
Bracers of Armor +2, Death Ward
Helm of Balduran (+1 Untyped to Attack, AC, Saves, +10% HP)
Ring of Summoning Large Air Elemental (1 /Day)
Healing Belt
Sacred Scabbard of Keen Edges
Wand of Cure Light Wounds (x32)
Crystals
Greater Energy Assault [Fire]
Lesser Energy Assault [Cold]

House Rules

House Rules:
Pathfinder with all 3.5 splatbooks allowed
Every 2 ranks of Knowdge [Local] grants a free Faerun Regional Feat or allows you to add a new Region to your list
Class-Based Defense from UA
Bracers of Armor provide an Enhancement Bonus to Class-Based Defense

Prodan
2010-07-12, 08:24 PM
If he went straight druid, he will have 7th level spells.

EvilJoe15
2010-07-12, 08:35 PM
Why aren't you Druid 5 / Planar Shepherd 8?:smallconfused:

PersonMan
2010-07-12, 08:37 PM
I would advise starting with summoning/pet attacking, giving you some time to buff yourself.

Runeclaw
2010-07-12, 08:44 PM
I would advise starting with summoning/pet attacking, giving you some time to buff yourself.

Assuming animal companions are included, which I'd imagine they are, he'll presumably have one as well.

Also, I think I failed to note that this is Pathfinder, with all 3.5 splatbooks allowed.

Jack_Simth
2010-07-12, 08:54 PM
1) Quick Wildshape into something with Pounce (preferably also Large or larger), and Charge. Meanwhile, have your Animal Companion lay into him.
2) Quick Wildshape into something big (as big as you can manage), and Grapple. Meanwhile, have your Animal Companion lay into him.

See, if your opponent is a pure Druid, he'll have a (slight) disadvantage in raw combat power. And a grappled spellcaster has problems casting (no Somatic components, decent DC concentration check, issues with material/focus components). If you're lucky, your opponent won't have Fast Wild Shape, which means that the tactics above have a decent chance of putting you one round ahead on damage. Maybe. Just make sure to be really, really familiar with the rules on Grappling first.

sofawall
2010-07-12, 08:56 PM

That is similar to asking "Why aren't you a Beholder Mage?" or "Why no Dweomerkeeper?" or even "Why no Pun-Pun?". Some things are just not done.

Prodan
2010-07-12, 09:03 PM

Because he has not taken levels in Planar Shepard.

PId6
2010-07-12, 09:24 PM
If he's a straight druid of equal level, then it might be tough since he'll have 7th level spells and a higher CL, but oh well, that can't be helped. You'll have to beat him via superior tactics.

Bite of the Werebear (SpC) is an awesome buff spell for a druid. Definitely cast that early on, especially if you plan on meleeing yourself. Load up on Dispel Magics, since in a caster duel, dispelling is king. Definitely prepare no less than three of them, and more if you don't have anything better to use 3rd level slots for. Barkskin is also a great buff if you fear melee, as is Stoneskin. Superior Resistance (SpC) is wonderful against spells. You might want to double prepare some buffs in case he is packing Dispels too.

Antilife Shell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antilifeShell.htm) can be awesome, depending on what his animal companion is and what he can do. Living creatures can't come into the shell without a save, protecting you in case he or his animal companion tries to melee you (assuming they don't have long reach; watch out for summoned elementals though). Then you can proceed to blast him with spells like Call Lightning Storm and Produce Flame, or use the breathing space to just start loading up on buffs.

Keep a Spellstaff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellstaff.htm) on loaded with something awesome. It's permanent duration in an item, so it shouldn't count as a prebuff, and it basically gives you another slot of the highest level you can cast. Animal Growth is an amazing spell on your animal companion, and you should definitely cast that as soon as possible. Prepare some Resist Energies in case he's a blaster, or even Contingent Energy Resistance (SpC) if you want to do it first. Use Lion's Charge (SpC) if you intend to go meleeing, and Freedom of Movement if you're afraid of grapples.

For offensive spells, Moon Bolt (SpC) is absolutely devastating. With a few of these, you can easily drop him, and even one is a solid debuff. It works even if he saves, and is simply sick if he doesn't. Owl's Insight (SpC) can help you increase your save DCs dramatically if you want to go this route. Baleful Polymorph is a good save-or-die, but it's a Fort save and druids can be fairly good at those unless you increase your DC. For blasting, Cometfall (SpC) and Arc of Lightning (SpC) are both pretty good, ignore SR, and target Reflex, which druids tend to be bad at.

Runeclaw
2010-07-12, 10:51 PM
1) Quick Wildshape into something with Pounce (preferably also Large or larger), and Charge. Meanwhile, have your Animal Companion lay into him.
2) Quick Wildshape into something big (as big as you can manage), and Grapple. Meanwhile, have your Animal Companion lay into him.

If I choose something with Grab, I can possibly do both of thees.

And a grappled spellcaster has problems casting (no Somatic components, decent DC concentration check, issues with material/focus components).

I think the concentration check is easier in Pathfinder, but its still not a bad plan. Assuming we don't start adjacent, though, I don't know that I'll be able to wildshape (Move Action), close the distance and grapple/attack.

Bite of the Werebear (SpC) is an awesome buff spell for a druid.

I'm well aware of the Bite line (my bread and butter with this char), but I don't know about the idea of standing there buffing myself if he's summoning or blasting or what not.

Load up on Dispel Magics, since in a caster duel, dispelling is king.

Again, with no prior buffs, I don't know how much buffs will enter into the fight - but a good tip none the less.

Keep a Spellstaff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellstaff.htm) on loaded with something awesome.

I'd definitely like to, but circumstances may conspire against me. I don't know if I'll have more than one chance to prepare spells between now and then - and if I do, it'll be a day of active adventuring.

For offensive spells, Moon Bolt (SpC) is absolutely devastating.

I'll check it and the others out. Thanks.

Mojo_Rat
2010-07-13, 12:52 AM
Concentration checks in PF are alot harder in the case of being Grappled you have to beat the CMD of the person grappling you. Which in alot of cases is unlikely.

Runeclaw
2010-07-13, 03:31 PM
Concentration checks in PF are alot harder in the case of being Grappled you have to beat the CMD of the person grappling you. Which in alot of cases is unlikely.

Actually, it looks like its 10+CMB+Spell Level. Which comes out pretty close to the same, probably (depending on whether the grapplers Defense+AC bonuses are greater or lesser than the spell level).

His concentration is likely to be around 18 (13+5), I suppose. My wildshaped CMB is around 17, probably, without spell buffs, giving a difficulty of 27+Spell level. Which should make casting any higher levels spells iffy at best. A pinned opponent would be even more screwed over (but if I use all my actions maintaining a pin, I don't really make much progress of my own).

I'm currently thinking seriously of opening up by trying to use my Initaite of Nature ability to command animals (as per a Cleric's Command Undead ability) on his animal companion. Changing the odds from 2:2 to 3:1 would be a huge shift. Assuming he doesn't have the same or another ability to just reverse it again.

Runeclaw
2010-10-12, 12:40 PM
Ok, this duel is coming up, probably this week or next. I have a few thoudand gold and a chance to do some shopping or crafting (Wondrous or Arms/Armor). Any small items that would you'd reccomend?

Also if anyone is interested in making up a semi-optimized Druid 13 and dueling me for practice, that'd be fun. I've no idea the exact terrain/starting positions/rules for the duel so we'd have to just pick something.

Togo
2010-10-12, 04:53 PM
Ok, this duel is coming up, probably this week or next. I have a few thoudand gold and a chance to do some shopping or crafting (Wondrous or Arms/Armor). Any small items that would you'd reccomend?

Also if anyone is interested in making up a semi-optimized Druid 13 and dueling me for practice, that'd be fun. I've no idea the exact terrain/starting positions/rules for the duel so we'd have to just pick something.

Buy a bottle of camphor or other evil-smelling substance. Hold it while you wildshape. If you end up doing badly out of the grapple, then turn back into your normal form but disguised as your opponent using 1000 faces. The bottle will get smashed as you're grappled, and you then plead with his animal companion to rescue you, pretending you're him. Animal companions are loyal, but not all the bright.

I'm not saying this is a winning tactic, but it would be funny.

Runeclaw
2010-10-12, 05:51 PM
It would be funny, but I'm still a couple of levels from 1000 Faces, sadly, due to multiclassing.

Speaking of 1000 Faces, though, can you use it to transform into your original race with your own face just for the Strength bonus? I don't see why not, off hand.

Medium creature: If the form you take is that of a Medium humanoid, you gain a +2 size bonus to your Strength.

Which makes no particular sense, but I'll take it