PDA

View Full Version : Pimp your Fiends [3.5/PF]

Tanuki Tales
2010-07-12, 10:05 PM
When you design encounters concerning Devil, Demons and Daemons for your parties to go up against what kind of templates do you tend to use to spice them up?

Skeletor
2010-07-12, 10:12 PM
I always enjoy templates that aren't glaringly obvious, there's nothing quite like surprise when it comes to fighting enemies.

I remember once one of our characters was captured and placed in the center of the camp tied to a wooden stake and left relatively unguarded as he was weaponless and didn't seem anything more than relatively large or well muscled.

Later that night they learned he was in fact a lycanthrope. :smallsmile:

Tanuki Tales
2010-07-12, 10:17 PM
I always enjoy templates that aren't glaringly obvious, there's nothing quite like surprise when it comes to fighting enemies.

I remember once one of our characters was captured and placed in the center of the camp tied to a wooden stake and left relatively unguarded as he was weaponless and didn't seem anything more than relatively large or well muscled.

Later that night they learned he was in fact a lycanthrope. :smallsmile:

And he was what kind of Fiend? (I'm assuming the DM allowed trans-mortal infections).

Lhurgyof
2010-07-12, 10:18 PM
Templates? I usually don't bother... But, you could try Ghost Brute, Umbral, Winged, Half-Dragon, etc.

Xyk
2010-07-12, 10:19 PM
I think pimping is illegal in this country. And i thought that said "pimp your friends".

Tanuki Tales
2010-07-12, 10:26 PM
Templates? I usually don't bother... But, you could try Ghost Brute, Umbral, Winged, Half-Dragon, etc.

Only one of those can actually be applied to an Outsider.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-12, 10:29 PM
Only one of those can actually be applied to an Outsider.

Really? Ouch.
See, this is why I don't bother with templates. xD

I'd say pick up the fiend folio, as well as the other fiend-themed books to help give you more options.

Tanuki Tales
2010-07-12, 10:36 PM
Really? Ouch.
See, this is why I don't bother with templates. xD

I'd say pick up the fiend folio, as well as the other fiend-themed books to help give you more options.

Fiend Folio only has Half-Troll and Half-Fey, one is great, the other not so much.

The Fiendish Codexes have no templates as far as I remember.

And I was more asking for what others have done with their fiends since templates are the only way to make mechanically unique creatures without DM fiat.

dextercorvia
2010-07-12, 10:49 PM
I think pimping is illegal in this country. And i thought that said "pimp your friends".

I also thought it said pimp your friends. Something like, "I heard you like cheese, so we put some cheese in your friends..."

Icewraith
2010-07-12, 11:26 PM
Mechanically unique fiends = class levels.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-07-13, 12:17 AM
Yeah, I'd recommend giving them class levels, or prestige class levels.

Mortal Hunter
Soul Eater
Ur-Priest
Evil Incarnate/Necrocarnate
Hellfire Warlock
Binder
Warmind
etc. etc.

Skeletor
2010-07-13, 12:18 AM
Mortal hunters can be very cool.

Malakar
2010-07-13, 12:39 AM
There are already so many awesome fiends, combined with different class levels, I don't why you'd want to be throwing around templates.

Personally, when I have fun fiend encounters for my people, there is no need to do anything besides break out the fiends.

Evil Demon silently stalking mortals through disguise? Check.
Seducing them and soul sucking instead of violent murder? Check.
Mastermind who manipulates? Check.
Guardians of X, or Demon Lairs? Check.
Big Bruisers? Check.
Shock troops for an army? Check.
Flying invisible hunter sent to track down and assassinate? Check.
Ice Demon in a hall of Ice Mirrors with false images everywhere? Check.
Tiny pets and familiars that mislead or trick? Check.

What do you even need templates for?

AslanCross
2010-07-13, 01:03 AM
My recently-concluded RHOD campaign had a half-dragon Naityan Rakshasa increased to Large size. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8743173&postcount=281) With swordsage levels.

Mostly I just give them class levels and the Elite Array that comes with it. Most of them have really neat abilities to begin with.

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-13, 01:50 AM
Templates: Winged, Multi-Heaed (this one, surprisingly, more for flavour... it pimps other monsters more than fiends).

Class levels: Any.

But I tend to make them dangeorus for their hideous plans and vile acts, more than for the built.

Well, of course, since one can do both things.. :smallamused:

Danin
2010-07-13, 02:07 AM
Fiendish Codex 2 has alternate spell like abilities for devils (or demons) so they don't fit the usual mold. There are also alternative equipment lists somewhere (Like a +2 Unholy Wounding glave for pit fiends or some such)

Escheton
2010-07-13, 02:18 AM
Yeah, don't you hate it when the rest of the party sells your ass off after you pass out drunk?
Watch out with stating stuff like: I pay for my room and I binge till I pass out.

Ravens_cry
2010-07-13, 02:27 AM
Mortal hunters can be very cool.
With many fiends and most mortals, that's like shooting at baby seals with anti-tank rifles.
From a helicopter.