PDA

View Full Version : Lich Archaeologist

Window459
2010-07-13, 12:14 AM
I want to make a lich archaeologist for my pcs to run into while there exploring an ancient tomb of a hero i want him to to at first look human to hide that hes a lich and be all happy go lucky friendly with them till they find the big maguffin in the at the end, then go total ******* I'm gunna kill you all and take, he is also going to the father to one the pcs cause he said that his char never knew her father and that I can manipulate that any way I see fit, so give me some ideas class wise plz thank you ahead of time.

Skeletor
2010-07-13, 12:15 AM
stay alive for a few thousand years and then when you start to do archelogy you know everything about what you find because you lived through it! :smallsmile:

Window459
2010-07-13, 12:18 AM
stay alive for a few thousand years and then when you start to do archelogy you know everything about what you find because you lived through it! :smallsmile:

I meant class wise but thats kinda what this guy did.

Siegel
2010-07-13, 12:21 AM
Archivist ?

Window459
2010-07-13, 12:22 AM
Archivist ?

needs to be more Indiana Jones ish

Malificus
2010-07-13, 12:35 AM
Have him be a bard. That's close enough, right?

Window459
2010-07-13, 12:51 AM
Have him be a bard. That's close enough, right?

yeah but i need him to be an actual threat not just a bard

UnChosenOne
2010-07-13, 12:54 AM
Gesalt Wizard/Rogue?

Skeletor
2010-07-13, 12:55 AM
Take a look at the Loredelver from Races of destiny you can modify it to suit your character I think!

Malificus
2010-07-13, 01:01 AM
yeah but i need him to be an actual threat not just a bardsublime chord then?

Jergmo
2010-07-13, 02:40 AM
Rogue 3/Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster 3 with Practiced Spellcaster - if you're looking for bare minimum lich requirements. Voila, you have a lich, and it has Indiana Jones skills.

Wings of Peace
2010-07-13, 02:51 AM
Tainted Scholar or Primal Scholar? Both would lend him a reasonable amount of power and explain perhaps about the macguffin he's searching for.

Or if you want to get hardcore:

Wizard 3/Tainted Scholar 2/Incantatrix 10/Halruuan Elder 4/Loremaster 1

Tyrmatt
2010-07-13, 03:55 AM
Archivist with a Factotum dip would suit a knowledge seeking lich with a bit of Indiana Jones to it, especially as it gives him all skills as class skills, allowing him to use his skill points to achieve a lot of different things. Mechanically, it's probably not that useful though

Walker in the Waste might also fit or can be refluffed to fit as well. It's in Sandstorm and at 10th level of it, you become a dry lich.

Window459
2010-07-13, 09:49 AM
Well this morning my cousin called and since he used to be my old dm back when i was little, he said that if i wanted him to be Indiana Jones i could go duskblade focusing on using combat expertise feat tree he also reminded me that he wasn't sure a duskblade could be a lich but he also reminded me HEY YOUR THE DM SOMETIMES FOR A COOL PLOT TWIST YOU NEED TO BEND THE RULES, so what do you think of that idea?

Aotrs Commander
2010-07-13, 09:53 AM
Tsk tsk.

I can't believe you all let this thread go this far without mentioning he should be called Shindeankle Bones.

Boccobsblog
2010-07-13, 09:54 AM
You could use a Dread Necromancer. It have knowledge skills and they can wear armor and weild one martial weapon, that would completely cover the fact that he is a spell caster. I wouldn't get too hung up on the actual skills, you can cover that with roleplay.

Window459
2010-07-13, 09:57 AM
Tainted Scholar or Primal Scholar? Both would lend him a reasonable amount of power and explain perhaps about the macguffin he's searching for.

Or if you want to get hardcore:

Wizard 3/Tainted Scholar 2/Incantatrix 10/Halruuan Elder 4/Loremaster 1

the macguffins part of an ancient heros equipment, hes looking for it so his boss can use it to do an ancient ritual to unseal a gate so he become one with true darkness and pretty much become a god

Jergmo
2010-07-13, 11:33 AM
As an addition to my earlier post, you could take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Whip) feat, as well as taking the Whip Climber skill trick from Complete Scoundrel. :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2010-07-13, 11:41 AM
Mr. Period and Mrs. Comma want to know why you've stopped answering their phone calls and have blocked them on IM.:smallwink:

If at all possible, arrange to have the PC in question clinging by one hand to a ledge over a deep pit after the Mcguffin is found, so that the lich can say "No....I am your father."

yeah but i need him to be an actual threat not just a bard

You don't know bards very well, do you?:smallbiggrin:

Window459
2010-07-13, 06:17 PM
Mr. Period and Mrs. Comma want to know why you've stopped answering their phone calls and have blocked them on IM.:smallwink:

If at all possible, arrange to have the PC in question clinging by one hand to a ledge over a deep pit after the Mcguffin is found, so that the lich can say "No....I am your father."

You don't know bards very well, do you?:smallbiggrin:

me and mr period and mrs comma have never gotten along, they think i stole their pie and second, ive never been good at making bard unless there for support characters, buffing and curing along the with cleric/druid

Zeta Kai
2010-07-13, 06:32 PM
needs to be more Indiana Jones ish

Factotum. [/thread] :smallamused:

woodenbandman
2010-07-13, 06:33 PM
Badguy: This is the second time I've had to recover my property from you
Archaeologist: It belongs in a museum!
Badguy: So do you!

flabort
2010-07-13, 08:31 PM
Does it need to be a lich? I'm sure there are several more immortal spellcasting undeadout there...
Wait.

Several more intelegent immortal undead period?
Hmm, not really. Not that aren't locked into other stereotypes.

Your the DM, right? Why not homebrew something similar? He had a Caster friend preform the lich making ceremonies on himself, with changes to the ritual here, here, and why not here? And howabout making it a double-ceremony, turning the caster into a real lich at the same time? That would result in an intelegent undead, without being forced into a certain level, and without having to be a caster. Then, take some fitting ToB classes, or if you don't have ToB/are against it, other classes that fit the archeologist roll.

Keep him well clothed to "Protect against the desert wind/bitter cold/scorching heat of the volcano/traitorous rouges he employs", to keep the PCs from seeing his face, body, even hands. Mention his "gold embroidered gloves, that look like they are from an age gone by", and his "bone mask, carved with several runes used in ancient rituals", as well as his "vast knowledge of ancient weaponry and devices", and it should get the point across that he's very much into his archology role. Or, if their clever, the PCs might figure out his massively huge age.

If you take this route, I'd recomend classes like rouge and duskblade, and if you want to play on the Indiana Jones idea, weapon proficiency (Whip) should work great. Alternatively, to make it more badass, make it exotic weapon proficiency (Spiked Chain), and flavor his "Chain" as being an abnormally huge whip, with massive peices of metal embedded into it. Bend the rules a little, and let him use whip-based skills with it.

Actually, a "Lich bound" template sounds like a nice project for me.
*wanders off to homebrew*

Thurbane
2010-07-13, 09:52 PM
Archivist ?
Seconded.

If you're looking for a more Indiana Jones type, go for something like a Necropolitan Grey Elf Factotum...

Endarire
2010-07-14, 02:18 AM
Breaking Down Inspire Courage (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8334.0)

You can reasonably get +12 accuracy and damage AND +12d6 fire damage PER HIT if done right.

These bonuses also apply to your minions.

Window459
2010-07-14, 09:18 PM
Although i think this threads gunna die soon i had the idea of going cleric with the knowledge and death domains