PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Dwarven Fighter Feat Build Suggestions

Hurlbut
2010-07-13, 03:57 AM
3.5 splatbooks are allowed in addition to the PF Core Rulebook.

I'm looking for a feat build that's very much the quintessential dwarf; stoic, stamina, resilience, perseverance. Probably focused much on defense; enduring blows and shrugging off magical attacks while still having several options for offense.

Of course, I did try come up with one, but I had trouble balancing between offense, defense, and social (Master Craftsman & Craft Magic Arm and Armor).

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-13, 04:25 AM
AFAIK, Master Craftsman gives the ability of craft a particular kind of magic item - you don't need to take the item creation feat too.

3.5 splats is quite generic.. what splats are allowed?

You need full fighter or you can multiclass? You prefer S&B, TWF, or THF?

Hurlbut
2010-07-13, 04:34 AM
Actually one of the benefits of the Master Craftsman is that it allow you to qualify for the feat Craft Magic Arms and Armor. It doesn't allow you to substitute Master Craftsman or any other thing in place of the feat Craft Magic Arms and Armor (or Craft Wondrous Item).

Official 3.5 splatbook are allowed.

I prefer going straight Fighter (it is fun in PF)
Fighting style dominantly S&B

My character's attributes are: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 6 (standard point buy)

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-13, 05:00 AM
Actually one of the benefits of the Master Craftsman is that it allow you to qualify for the feat Craft Magic Arms and Armor. It doesn't allow you to substitute Master Craftsman or any other thing in place of the feat Craft Magic Arms and Armor (or Craft Wondrous Item).

:smallconfused: True. I houseruled it and didn't remember.

Official 3.5 splatbook are allowed.

I prefer going straight Fighter (it is fun in PF)
Fighting style dominantly S&B

My character's attributes are: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 6 (standard point buy)

S&B is doable in pathfinder if you focus on bull rushes and similar control. Consider the dungeoncrasher variant for the fighter (dungeonscape). Now you can bash peple, splat them in the wall, and deal to them additional 8d6 + 3xstr damage.

Need moar strenght. Switch Str with Con.

Optional: switch Int and Wis and take the skill point each level. Now you reach 5 skill points/level. Not a skill monkey, but you can do something out of combat. Of course, the two things together drop your HP.

Take something on the line of grater fortitude/greater will or martial study: Iron Hearth Surge to pimp your resilient side of the PC.

Ask your DM to reformulate IHS, maybe :smallwink:

Remember to have the Dwarf burp an amount of times/day accordingly to your Cha modifier!

Hurlbut
2010-07-13, 05:09 AM
Actually the Attributes are after racial modifiers. if I switch the Str with Con as you say, it would be Str 14, Con 17. Same for Int and Wis (after switch: would be Int 12, Wis 15) :smalltongue:

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-13, 05:15 AM
In that case, just ingore my statements about stats.. 4skill /level, and make them be enough :smallwink:

Ask for buff to strenght and to-hit (remember that now bull rushes are attacks, and benefit from bonuses to the to-hit).

What level you start?

Hurlbut
2010-07-13, 05:17 AM
3rd level, but I want to plan a build to 20th level.

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-13, 05:44 AM
:smallconfused:...

I noticed tha you cannot take shield bash without TWF.. you need a way to raise dexterity up to 14-15, or ask your DM to ignore it as a prerequisite...

Hurlbut
2010-07-14, 12:41 AM
okay so the core feats should be Greater Fortitude, Greater Iron Will, Battle Hardened, maybe Shield Focus/Shield Ward?

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-14, 02:08 AM
I'm not sure Battle Hardened is worthy to be taken..

I suggested the "Great X" feats but remember that they are a long way to qualify for: if you find some other, out of core way to remove debuffs (I suggested IHS), the better.

I found Parrying Shield (Mords of Madness) better of shield ward.. it works for any shield.

IRRC, Person_Man wrote a shield guide... look it up in these boards.

Look up for the Shield Bash ---> Shield Charge --- > Shield Slam tier of feats (Core + Complete Warrior).

Trip and daze are good conditions to infilct to the enemy..

Hurlbut
2010-07-14, 11:23 AM
Eh, I get +2 initiative bonus out of it and a +4 bonus on saves vs Fear. :-/

You know I have been wondering. Why is it that nobody else have chimed in here? Do they really loath the dwarves that much?

Person_Man
2010-07-14, 01:33 PM
The key to this build is alternate class features (forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-906113.html) and careful feat selection.

At level 1, Fighters get the Tower Shield for free. This in itself is useful. Races of Stone also lets you trade it away for Exotic Shield Proficiency, which has several uses (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6848292). I suggest using it for a Gnome Battle Cloak, which is essentially a shield you wear on your back, which is essentially a free Animated shield. If you want a mounted build (which is one of your best core-ish options) then I suggest a Riding Shield.

At levels 2 and 6, Dungonscape lets you trade away feats for the Dungeoncrasher ability, which gives you massive damage when you Bull Rush an enemy into a wall or solid object. You can also get free Bull Rush attempts from the Shield of the Severed Hand (Complete Divine pg 102 or MIC) and/or Brutal Surge weapons (MIC). Or you can get flight from a magic item and Bull Rush them into a floor. It's also worth mentioning that Dungeoncrasher damage is so high that even a single mundane Bull Rush per turn can kill most enemies.

A nifty web ad on (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) gives you various buffs to your ability to Demoralize. The most important kicks in at 11th level, which lets you Demoralize as a Swift Action. This can be a powerful tool (http://boards-test-dev.wizards.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-911167).

Feat suggestions:

Dungeoncrasher I & II alternate class features: Improved Bull Rush damage to insane levels. Dungeonscape ACF.
Greater Bull Rush: Enemies you Bull Rush provoke AoO.
Shock Trooper: Allows you to direct Bull Rush and shift Power Attack penalty to AC.
Shield Slam (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/shield-slam-combat---final): Free Bull Rush when you hit someone with a shield.
Imperious Command: Demoralized enemies Cower (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Cowering) for 1 round. With the above alternate class feature, you can do this every round as a Swift Action. Drow of the Underdark.
Dazzling Display (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/dazzling-display-combat---final): Demoralize all enemies within 30 ft.
Intimidating Prowess (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/intimidating-prowess-combat---final): Add Str to Intimidate.
Karmic Strike: Extra AoO when enemy hits you. Take Combat Reflexes. Complete Warrior.
Robilar’s Gambit: All melee attacks against you provoke an AoO. PHBII.
Shield Charge: When you attack with a shield as part of a Charge, you get a free Trip attack. Requires Improved Shield Bash. Complete Warrior pg 105.
Shield Slam: When you charge an enemy your enemy must Save or be Dazed for 1 round. Complete Warrior.
Step Up (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/step-up-combat---final): 5 ft step as Immediate Action.
Mage Slayer: Casters always provoke AoO when casting. Comp Arcane.
Arcane Schooling: You’re treated as having one level of one arcane class for the purpose of activating spell trigger items (like Wands). Hello buff spells, good bye UMD! Player’s Guide to Faerun.
Combat Focus + Combat Vigor + Combat Stability: +4 Will Saves, +8 to resist bull rush/trips/grapple/etc, and Fast Healing 4. PHBII pg 87.

Hurlbut
2010-07-14, 02:51 PM
Um, my dwarf fighter has a Dex of 10. So he doesn't qualify for TWF which is needed for Shield Slam.

I forgot about the Combat Focus feat line, that'll fit in with the calm demeanor of the dwarven fighter.

LibraryOgre
2010-07-14, 03:14 PM
3.5 splatbooks are allowed in addition to the PF Core Rulebook.

I'm looking for a feat build that's very much the quintessential dwarf; stoic, stamina, resilience, perseverance. Probably focused much on defense; enduring blows and shrugging off magical attacks while still having several options for offense.

Of course, I did try come up with one, but I had trouble balancing between offense, defense, and social (Master Craftsman & Craft Magic Arm and Armor).

Our DM made a character almost completely focused on defense. He included Combat reflexes and the feat which lets you stop people's movement to make his character sticky. He was a sack of HP and AC that you couldn't get around. I don't remember the precise build, however.

Hurlbut
2010-07-19, 07:03 PM
Here is my attempt at a "Stout" build for the dwarven fighter :P
I need your advises on rearranging them in the order to be taken. Currently my character is at 3rd level.

1st Power Attack
F1st Combat Focus
F2nd Combat Expertise
3rd Skill Focus (Craft)
F4th Combat Stablity
5th Master Craftsman
F6th Improved Trip
7th Weapon Focus
F8th Endurance
9th Shield Focus
F10th Combat Vigor
11th Greater Weapon Focus
F12th Shield Ward
13th Active Shield Defense
F14th Diehard
15th Indomitable Soul
F16th Improved Initiative
17th Armor Specialization (Combined with adamantine heavy armor)
F18th Battle Hardened
19th Martial Study
F20th Intimidating Prowess

The Glyphstone
2010-07-19, 07:30 PM
What's your primary method of drawing the attention of enemies, and keep them from just blowing you off as a sack of HP they can't crack open while they feast on your allies? That was the big weakness of the core Fighter, and I'm not sure if Pathfinder's fighter fixed the issue.

Hurlbut
2010-07-19, 08:07 PM
My only 2 companions are rogues and they'll hide whenever we run into something, waiting for a chance to strike from shadows, leaving me to deal with the enemies initially.

klemdakherzbag
2010-07-19, 08:19 PM
Standstill feat seems like a good choice here

Hurlbut
2010-07-19, 08:31 PM
Standstill feat seems like a good choice hereOkay I finally found it. (as seeing I don't have Psionic sourcebooks normally) Where would you suggest I take it on the build?

Eldariel
2010-07-20, 04:12 AM
Hm, how set are you on Fighter? 'cause I could see a Crusader [ToB] being absolutely incredible for The Archetypal Stout Dwarf, and most definitely superior to Fighter, even PF, for this particular task. Between Delayed Damage Pool, all your Counters and healing Strikes, you are a real bastion of defense as far as that goes.

You'll of course have to look at some anti-mage tools if you truly want to withstand magical attacks but as the same is true for Fighter anyways, I don't see that impacting your decision. At least you could learn Iron Heart Surge as a Crusader (through Studies).

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-20, 04:31 AM
Okay I finally found it. (as seeing I don't have Psionic sourcebooks normally) Where would you suggest I take it on the build?

Are flaws allowed? If so, combat reflexes + standstill by level 1 (thanks to two flaws).

Remember that the pathfinder version changed in a Combat Maneuver throw.

@The_Glyphstone: I see just now the popcorn avatar! Awesome. I want some!