PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help (AGAIN!)

Meirnon
2010-07-13, 05:22 AM
So... as we have figured out, I'm not savvy in anything but what school teaches me in the matters of computer technology. Unfortunately, I'm ignorant not due to the lack of trying to find courses, but because the courses are underneath the needed expertise with which to solve my problems. So, without further ado, I'm asking for any tech-savvy people to offer a fellow playgrounder some help.

Right now, I'm having trouble with my built-in webcam. I use an Acer AspireOne netbook for various reasons and do not wish to be suggested a different model: I'm happy with the little piece of crap despite the problems it gives me. Recently after I cleaned my hard-drive (which consisted of me removing many Window's Live/Office programs, eSobi, Granite Key, and other non-vital programs that were clogging up the works through the add/remove programs interface, a clean-up using the "Free up space on your hard-drive" area, and then a disk defragmentation that was horridly needed afterward, all through windows's "step by step even a molerat could do it" junk), I tried to use my webcam. At first I thought it was a hiccup when it said that the device could not be found... after all, it's a crap piece of equipment, and the webcam is right there.

So, I restarted my computer and tried again: the device was still not recognized/found. Recently, I tried once again to find an answer by looking into My Computer, as there is often a webcam icon there. To my dismay, it was not found. So I once again restarted my computer, taking note of a small icon at the bottom that said "USB device not recognized". I opened it and kept it open for if I needed it, as it seems to have trouble materializing on my startbar after startup. I looked in My Computer one more time, all the while praying to the Gods That Be for this sort of thing that I may once again allow my girlfriend to gaze upon my visage without having to move away from her own computer. That's why I installed Skype, after all, isn't it? Still, no webcam icon, and a taunting "USB device not recognized" sitting at the bottom of my screen.

So I looked into the USB device. It said that there was no driver. Recalling my previous experiences with drivers, I decided it was a pretty good idea that this unknown device was my webcam and that the driver that allowed it to work was destroyed by some horrible operational errors on my part. I'm terribly afraid that my attempt to get DDO to run faster (which it did, for what that's worth) by cleaning my hard-drive may have removed the driver from my laptop's data.

So, I did a mad rush to figure out the problem. It's 5 in the morning, after all, and I wanted to figure out what in the 9 hells is wrong with it so I may once again make use of it. I started out by troubleshooting instead of messing with things. Experience dictates bad things happen if I'm not patient. I followed the troubleshooting advice it gave me, only to be solemnly (and expectedly) disappointed. None of the options matched my problem. So I went online with my problem, asking google to find me answers to my dilemma. This is where I found what would have been a handy device had it not had a $30 price tag: Driver Inspector. It scanned my laptop quickly and successfully, recognizing all the problems my drivers had as the catalog it operated with was specifically designed for my laptop. I nearly exclaimed my joy! It knew what was wrong and it was going to install the driver for me! So I clicked on "fix problems", giddy with excitement and something FINALLY going correctly!

And then the "please enter registration code" popped up the moment a new page loaded in Google Chrome: a purchase page, asking me for my name, zip code and other things. I felt a pit of woe! It had guided me under false pretenses that it was all going to be fine and happy and, most importantly, free. To say the least, no profanity may suggest my attitude at this revelation.

So, I feel as though what would have otherwise been free had I not wished to delete power point and office planer, I feel as though I must pay for now... my ability to use a device driver that came included with my laptop. But I have not given up all hope for the little bits of green paper stacked neatly inside my closet: I thought "mayhaps my fellow gamers and readers could help me keep what I worked for instead of paying for what I shouldn't have to?"

So here I am. I am able to answer any questions you need in order to reach a resolution most satisfactory so long as proper instructions are given. All I can possibly produce in return for any help is an avatar or two (summer has been slow), and that I will be completely honest in my dealings with the computer cleaning. So, could there be a playgrounder generous enough to help me again with my computational dopery?

drakir_nosslin
2010-07-13, 05:33 AM
When this happens to me (which it does surprisingly often) I try to find out the model of the device that is not working, then google <device name> driver
And install that. ~90% of the time it works, but I've also experienced damaged hardware (remember correlation does not imply causation) and problems with the OS at large.

You can also try the Acer homepage, they might have a driver package for your computer.

Meirnon
2010-07-13, 05:40 AM
When this happens to me (which it does surprisingly often) I try to find out the model of the device that is not working, then google <device name> driver
And install that. ~90% of the time it works, but I've also experienced damaged hardware (remember correlation does not imply causation) and problems with the OS at large.

You can also try the Acer homepage, they might have a driver package for your computer.

I can't find any recognition of the device name. My computer simply "forgot" it entirely, and all that's left is an unrecognized USB device in Location 0. I have already searched for Acer drivers and installed two... Both of them asking me to plug in a webcam to my USB. Needless to say, I'm going to get some sleep before trying to tackle this again and let more people with constructive feedback (thank you very much, by the way!) pop their opinions in, seeing as how this is about the time people who work would check in to see if there's anything new and interesting on the forums while sipping coffee and being the blessed people one would be glad to associate with despite the anonymity of the internet.

KuReshtin
2010-07-13, 05:50 AM
What model is the netbook you've got? Aspire one is the family name of the netbook, but the specific model should be listed underneath it. According to the Acer home page, it should start with AO-something (ie. AO533, or AO751h or something like that).

After you've figured that out, go to the Acer home page HERE (http://support.acer.com/drivers_download.aspx) and choose the model to find the driver you need for your camera.

Reinstalling the driver should sort your problem, and drivers for branded machines are generally best found on their own home pages.

Meirnon
2010-07-13, 06:10 AM
What model is the netbook you've got? Aspire one is the family name of the netbook, but the specific model should be listed underneath it. According to the Acer home page, it should start with AO-something (ie. AO533, or AO751h or something like that).

After you've figured that out, go to the Acer home page HERE (http://support.acer.com/drivers_download.aspx) and choose the model to find the driver you need for your camera.

Reinstalling the driver should sort your problem, and drivers for branded machines are generally best found on their own home pages.

I will try that as soon as my laptop is done charging. Something wrong with the charger port makes it sink into my laptop, but that's a whole nother problem that I'm only half-assing the fix for while I wait on a friend's dad to use his hardware skills on it.

KuReshtin
2010-07-13, 06:38 AM
I will try that as soon as my laptop is done charging. Something wrong with the charger port makes it sink into my laptop, but that's a whole nother problem that I'm only half-assing the fix for while I wait on a friend's dad to use his hardware skills on it.

Or you could just have the netbook sitting on the table while you're doing the driver update so that you don't have to wait.

Just a suggestion, of course.

Meirnon
2010-07-13, 02:59 PM
So, here's the second batch of problems:

1) My laptop's model isn't an AO###. It's KAV10.
2) I installed all 3 camera drivers onto my laptop and used all 3 initialization wizards. I restarted my computer after two of them as prompted.
3) My USB device that is unrecognized is still unable to to find a driver when I choose "update driver". It simply says "the driver you have installed is the best one update could find" or something to that effect (forgive me, I'm terrible with rewording).

FinalJustice
2010-07-13, 05:29 PM
Did driver inspector at least give you a report of your devices or something more specific?

Acer drivers not working is very, very unusual. Have you tried other USB devices to see if you USB is working? It seems possible, albeit very, very unlikely, that the problem is with the USB Controller.

Meirnon
2010-07-13, 05:34 PM
Did driver inspector at least give you a report of your devices or something more specific?

Acer drivers not working is very, very unusual. Have you tried other USB devices to see if you USB is working? It seems possible, albeit very, very unlikely, that the problem is with the USB Controller.

The driver inspector said that there was something like 15 out of date drivers, one absent driver, 12ish up-to-date drivers and some other system drivers.

The USB controller is working fine: all my other devices are entirely dandy, and I can run an external webcam off of it (although it refuses to work in Skype like I need it to, but that's another problem). And yes, I like Acer because it is generally reliable... only until you start to rely on that reliability it seems. Although that's common for me.

IonDragon
2010-07-14, 02:41 AM
The first step for this is quite simple. Running windows XP as I assume you are go to
Start > My Computer > Right Click > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager > Right click on the yellow question mark (which should be your webcam) > Update Driver.

Tick the check box to scan online for the correct driver.

EDIT: If that does not work, see their support article http://netbooks-us.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/132/kw/KAV10.

P.S. I really wish I still got paid for this.

Meirnon
2010-07-14, 04:01 AM
The first step for this is quite simple. Running windows XP as I assume you are go to
Start > My Computer > Right Click > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager > Right click on the yellow question mark (which should be your webcam) > Update Driver.

Tick the check box to scan online for the correct driver.

EDIT: If that does not work, see their support article http://netbooks-us.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/132/kw/KAV10.

P.S. I really wish I still got paid for this.

Did all the instructions you gave me before I even came here. Whenever I tried updating the driver, it said that the current driver was the best one it could get (which is bullshnork) and all online searches turned up with the same result.

Anyway, gonna look at the support articles. And the only thing I can pay you in is art and cookies (::). They're cookiethulhu brand: insanely delicious (also non-euclideanly bite-sized, but that's not as catchy).

thubby
2010-07-14, 04:39 AM
stupid question. have you tried another usb port?
in all seriousness, they sometimes just crap out.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-14, 05:26 AM
Have you tried actually uninstalling the unknown device and then scanning for new hardware? I've had success rediscovering bedraggled devices this way.

Another course of action is to note where the drivers you downloaded are being stored (typically easier if you just pick a location like "C:\Downloads\WebcamDrivers" or something. Then when you're updating/installing the drivers, instead of letting it search, tell it specifically which driver you want to use by browsing to where you've previously expanded them.

Meirnon
2010-07-14, 01:03 PM
@thubby: it's a built in webcam. I can't really switch which USB port it's tied to without opening my laptop and moving cords and splicing wires.

@Zeb: already tried searching in specific areas. I have not, however, uninstalled the hardware and re-installed it. I wanted to wait for a suggestion and instructions on how to do it safely before I tried that cause... experience says not to uninstall things in device manager (I learned that on a computer that was just about dead anyway while I was messing with it... :smallconfused:).

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone, the problem's still going.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-15, 01:13 AM
Okay, more specifically then, have you tried the "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." option?

Meirnon
2010-07-15, 01:15 AM
Okay, more specifically then, have you tried the "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." option?

Yes, for every driver I installed. (edit): downloaded.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-15, 01:31 AM
Okay. As I reread this thread, I see that it looks like you get stopped at each point with it saying "The currently installed driver appears to be the most appropriate driver for this device" or something similar, right? But that should only happen if you're doing a search for better drivers. What does it tell you when you choose the "Use the one I tell you to use" option?

IonDragon
2010-07-15, 02:28 AM
Are you sure that you have the correct drivers? You said the model number is wrong and the link I gave you gives the correct model #.

Meirnon
2010-07-15, 02:56 AM
@Zeb: It doesn't have a driver on it. I've looked and looked, and, for further confirmation, when I ask it information on the driver, it says "there is no driver installed". I have no idea what the Fharlanghn is wrong with it.

@Ion: the model number was off, but I checked the webcam model, and I think it is a Crystal Eye. All of the acer netbooks have the same webcam drivers, so I used them.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-15, 03:22 AM
@Zeb: It doesn't have a driver on it. I've looked and looked, and, for further confirmation, when I ask it information on the driver, it says "there is no driver installed". I have no idea what the Fharlanghn is wrong with it.I feel I may be miscommunicating my question. When you try to update the drivers and choose the "Don't search" option, then browse to the folder where you have the drivers downloaded, select the driver file, and click "okay" but it doesn't work, what is it telling you is the reason it doesn't work?

IonDragon
2010-07-15, 04:07 AM
If you're sure you've got the right driver and it's still not working, then it's either a hardware problem (connection or damaged hardware) or it's a larger software problem. I'd start with the usual suspects; Hijack This!, a decent antivirus, CCleaner, Spybot S&D. See if you find anything. Then, I'd try a 'repair' install of windows, though that part will be more difficult on a netbook due to the lack of a CD drive.

Assuming you've got the right driver then you've got a pretty serious problem.

Meirnon
2010-07-15, 04:46 AM
@Zeb: it says that the current driver is the best that windows could find.

@Ion: I don't think it's a larger problem. I do think it was a mistake on my part while cleaning my disk, as the webcam was fine before but not after. I doubt cleaning caused any spyware/malware to become active, and I'm pretty observant of the sites I go to. I use google chrome and aside from GiTP, Facebook, and quite a few too many comics I read and follow, I don't visit much else. When there is malware on a site, though, Chrome alerts me and asks me to go back, as well as stopping any downloads without my confirmation. I trust it in that much and I trust the sites I visit.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-15, 04:56 AM
@Zeb: it says that the current driver is the best that windows could find.This is odd. I'm at work so I can't go through the motions on my computer here, but if memory serves, you should never get that error unless you're telling Windows to actually search for a driver. With the "Don't search" option, you should get a different set of dialog boxes. It even says underneath, before you proceed, that "Windows may does not guarantee that the driver you choose will be the best match for your hardware." I may be mistaken though.

Meirnon
2010-07-15, 05:07 AM
This is odd. I'm at work so I can't go through the motions on my computer here, but if memory serves, you should never get that error unless you're telling Windows to actually search for a driver. With the "Don't search" option, you should get a different set of dialog boxes. It even says underneath, before you proceed, that "Windows may does not guarantee that the driver you choose will be the best match for your hardware." I may be mistaken though.

It does say that. But at the end of the search, that's what it gives me. All I know is that I'm a mix of worried and annoyed at it, as I only want my webcam so I may videochat over skype (my external webcam is not skype certified, and I do not have the funds to wantonly get a new one). My current substitute is windows live video chat... but... it's just not as good.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-15, 05:11 AM
It does say that. But at the end of the search, that's what it gives me. All I know is that I'm a mix of worried and annoyed at it, as I only want my webcam so I may videochat over skype (my external webcam is not skype certified, and I do not have the funds to wantonly get a new one). My current substitute is windows live video chat... but... it's just not as good.See, that's my point. It's not supposed to be searching it all. You just choose "Don't search..." Click Next, click Have Disk, browse to wherever you have the driver downloaded, and select it.

Meirnon
2010-07-15, 05:27 AM
See, that's my point. It's not supposed to be searching it all. You just choose "Don't search..." Click Next, click Have Disk, browse to wherever you have the driver downloaded, and select it.

Let me rephrase: after it's done trying to install what I tell it to. It gives the same animations as the search. I should have said it better the first time... I suppose a mix of lethargy and sleepiness. Anyways, it always ends up being unsuccessful no matter how it's put.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-16, 01:26 AM
Hmmm, I thought I responded to this already.

In any case, I'm going to recommend completely uninstalling the Unknown Device and trying to reinstall it.

IonDragon
2010-07-16, 03:10 PM
@Ion: I don't think it's a larger problem. I do think it was a mistake on my part while cleaning my disk, as the webcam was fine before but not after. I doubt cleaning caused any spyware/malware to become active, and I'm pretty observant of the sites I go to. I use google chrome and aside from GiTP, Facebook, and quite a few too many comics I read and follow, I don't visit much else. When there is malware on a site, though, Chrome alerts me and asks me to go back, as well as stopping any downloads without my confirmation. I trust it in that much and I trust the sites I visit.

It could have damaged the OS, however and a broad spectrum fix like a repair install of Windows would eliminate many options.

Meirnon
2010-07-17, 03:24 AM
So, good news and bad news.

Good news is, I don't think it's a software problem. :smallsmile:
Bad news is, I think my webcam is physically broke. :smallfrown:

Now, here's how I came about this conclusion. Recently, I picked up my laptop (about 20 minutes ago, really) while in an MSN chat. It previously showed that I had no webcam plugged in. Typical. I then bumped the top of the laptop on a wall on accident, and it started registering in MSN that there was a webcam. Miraculous! So, I tried to video call my girlfriend, only to have, right after the video call was accepted, a "USB device not recognized" appear at the bottom of my screen. Well... I was only half surprised.

I then went back to MSN and tried it there. It still showed that there was a webcam installed (by a little webcam icon on the side). When I tried to video call there, I was prompted by this little number:

To make a Video Call, you need to use a webcam. Plug in your webcam now. If you don't have a webcam, you can buy one here.)

Anyways, now I think it's a physical problem caused by me dropping this thing at one too many debate tournaments. It's not really my fault, it just doesn't stay on top of evidence tubs very well.
>.>
<.<
[/shifty eyes]

So, to finish this up with another bit of good news: if it really is just broken, then I can have my friend's dad fix it for free. So, thanks for all your help, and I do hope that it's at least karmically good for you having tried to help me.

Zom B
2010-07-22, 05:16 PM
Okay, maybe someone wants to tackle this one. Our router (D-Link 1310) needs to be reset at least once, but most times twice, a day. It will broadcast a wireless signal so you can connect to the network, but you can't connect to the internet wirelessly until it is reset. Also, my wife gets knocked off of her MMO every time I open my laptop (which is when it tries to connect to the network). Sometimes, the router can't be reset by logging in to it and doing so, as it pretends you have the wrong name and password and you have to unplug and re-plug it, but I read that that is a fault in this particular model.

Any theories on how to fix even part of this, aside from buying another router?

Erloas
2010-07-22, 05:53 PM
Well you could check for firmware updates, but considering what it is doing I think its just the hardware starting to fail and there probably isn't much you can do besides replacing it.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-22, 11:42 PM
I would try firmware updates first. I've had them fix far stranger problems.

Are you getting any error messages when you get kicked off the network? That might help us determine why it's happening and would give us a direction to go with trying to troubleshoot and remedy your issue.

Zom B
2010-07-23, 04:40 PM
I would try firmware updates first. I've had them fix far stranger problems.

Are you getting any error messages when you get kicked off the network? That might help us determine why it's happening and would give us a direction to go with trying to troubleshoot and remedy your issue.

When the laptops cease to get a wireless connection, there's no message except for the browser reporting that it is unable to load websites. The desktop displays no errors either, it just says that she was disconnected from the server.

I'll try a firmware update.