PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Transmutation Feats

Livingdead
2010-07-13, 07:07 AM
Greetings, I have noticed that the transmutation school of magic does not get as much love as the other schools. Do yall know of any transmutation buffing feats? I found one in the dragon compendium that's pretty nice but I cant for the life of me find anything else.

Hendel
2010-07-13, 07:13 AM
Complete Mage:
Toughening Transmutation - Get DR when you cast a Transmutation spell
MinorShapeshift - Get a physical benefit and +1 CL to Polymorph spells

Not much but they are out there.

Of course there is always Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus (Transmutation) as well.

gbprime
2010-07-13, 10:26 AM
Honestly, minor shapeshift is all you need. Swift action to charge up temporary HP equal to your hit dice. Combine that with Stoneskin or Heart of Earth, and you have a Transmuter that is pretty darn hard to kill. (Failed saving throws aside.)

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-13, 10:31 AM
I think there are some trans reserve feats.

Harperfan7
2010-07-13, 02:06 PM
I don't remember what book it was in, but there is a feat that increases any ability score bonuses from spells like bulls str by +2 (for +6).

Livingdead
2010-07-13, 03:06 PM
Dragon Compendium

PId6
2010-07-13, 03:27 PM
Greetings, I have noticed that the transmutation school of magic does not get as much love as the other schools.
Wait, what?

Transmutation is the best school out there, though possibly with the sole exclusion of Conjuration (it's arguable). Spell Compendium has more Sor/Wiz Transmutation spells than those of other schools at nearly every spell level. There aren't many Transmutation-specific feats, but neither are there many feats specific for the other schools, especially not ones worth caring about.

Just pick feats good for anyone like Extend Spell, Quicken Spell, Persistent Spell, Easy Metamagic, etc, then go to town.

Livingdead
2010-07-13, 05:26 PM
Wait, what?

Transmutation is the best school out there, though possibly with the sole exclusion of Conjuration (it's arguable). Spell Compendium has more Sor/Wiz Transmutation spells than those of other schools at nearly every spell level. There aren't many Transmutation-specific feats, but neither are there many feats specific for the other schools, especially not ones worth caring about.

Just pick feats good for anyone like Extend Spell, Quicken Spell, Persistent Spell, Easy Metamagic, etc, then go to town.

I beg to differ actually, conjuration, evocation, necromancy, Illusion, and Enchantment all have many more feats dedicated specifically to them than transmutation does.

But aye I do suppose I will have to mostly go with the general ones. Though I'm definitely going for those ones in the complete mage...I had looked at them before but didn't think they were that good I suppose I will need to try them.

Hague
2010-07-13, 05:28 PM
There are some. But as if anyone needed them what with the plethora of abilities and the like you get with PAO.

PId6
2010-07-13, 05:54 PM
I beg to differ actually, conjuration, evocation, necromancy, Illusion, and Enchantment all have many more feats dedicated specifically to them than transmutation does.
Ones that are any good? Most of the reserve/rider feats in CM are pretty terrible; Transmutation has one of the few good ones (Minor Shapechange). Minion-based schools (Necromancy and Conjuration) get a lot that improve their minion summoning techniques, but the other schools don't have all that many useful feats in my experience, though YMMD.

I suppose Transmutation may not have that many because of how varied the school is, though. Necromancy debuffs and makes minions. Evocation blasts. Enchantment beguiles people. Divination finds stuff out. Transmutation just does everything; you can buff, you can blast, you can save or suck, you can debuff, you can do whatever you want, so it's harder to make feats that would apply to the entire school without making it general enough to apply to other schools.

Erts
2010-07-13, 06:14 PM

But aye I do suppose I will have to mostly go with the general ones. Though I'm definitely going for those ones in the complete mage...I had looked at them before but didn't think they were that good I suppose I will need to try them.

I suggest you take a look at this. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God) Or the Batman Wizard.

When players first look at the game, evocation seems to be the most powerful. But time and time again, people have shown that transmutation is probably the most powerful. Situations can vary.

Here is more arguments:

At higher levels, enchantment sucks. You are almost guaranteed to be fighting things immune to mind affecting effects (undead, constructs.)

Illusion requires a failed will save to be effective.

Many things of evocation can be replaced with necromancy (ranged touch attacks and the like.)

nedz
2010-07-13, 06:23 PM
The best Transmutation Feat is probably Power Attack :smallcool:

Fortuna
2010-07-13, 06:26 PM
I suggest you take a look at this. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God) Or the Batman Wizard.

When players first look at the game, evocation seems to be the most powerful. But time and time again, people have shown that transmutation is probably the most powerful. Situations can vary.

Here is more arguments:

At higher levels, enchantment sucks. You are almost guaranteed to be fighting things immune to mind affecting effects (undead, constructs.)

Illusion requires a failed will save to be effective.

Many things of evocation can be replaced with necromancy (ranged touch attacks and the like.)

He wasn't claiming that they were more powerful, but that they have more feat support.

Erts
2010-07-13, 06:47 PM
He wasn't claiming that they were more powerful, but that they have more feat support.

Which does have a better argument, as metamagic usually works better for other schools than transmutation.

PId6
2010-07-13, 06:50 PM
Which does have a better argument, as metamagic usually works better for other schools than transmutation.
Eh, I wouldn't say that. Empower and Maximize, maybe, but metamagic feats like Extend, Persist, Quicken, Chain, and Heighten all work quite fine with Transmutation, sometimes even better than with other schools (especially Chain).

Erts
2010-07-13, 07:28 PM
Eh, I wouldn't say that. Empower and Maximize, maybe, but metamagic feats like Extend, Persist, Quicken, Chain, and Heighten all work quite fine with Transmutation, sometimes even better than with other schools (especially Chain).

Chain, extend, persist, and heighten I understand, but quicken? Usually, for buffing spells, you don't need to be fast.

EDIT: To clarify, I said buffing because the OP originally asked about them. I can understand for debuffing spells what you mean.

lsfreak
2010-07-13, 08:35 PM
Chain, extend, persist, and heighten I understand, but quicken? Usually, for buffing spells, you don't need to be fast.

EDIT: To clarify, I said buffing because the OP originally asked about them. I can understand for debuffing spells what you mean.

What's better than getting one buff spell off the opening round? Getting off two.

nekomata2
2010-07-13, 08:57 PM
What's better than getting one buff spell off the opening round? Getting off two.

What's better than getting off two buffs in the opening round? Having them all up already or getting them all up in the first round.

I like the Spell Matrixes....

Math_Mage
2010-07-13, 08:59 PM

Even better: Buff, battlefield control to buy you another turn = two more buffs. :smalltongue: