PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companions as Transport

panaikhan
2010-07-13, 07:53 AM
OK, I've been considering this for a while now.
What can be considered the 'minimum' stats to allow an AC to be ridden?

The reason I am asking, is my current druid is considering changing his AC next level, and it might be cool to have a very unusual mount...

2xMachina
2010-07-13, 07:56 AM
Standard riding rules?

Large mount for a medium char?
Encumbrance weight not to go over light?

Mr.Moron
2010-07-13, 07:56 AM
1 Size Category larger than the rider (Medium for Small, Large for Medimum, etc.) and of a shape and disposition that generally allow riding. Since the disposition thing is taken care of by being an animal companion that only leaves shape. So long as they're is a way you could fit a saddle, even rather exotic custom one and you can sit in said saddle without turning yourself into a pretzel it's probably fine.

There are load concerns, but you're not going to be over the load for most creatures bigger than you anyway. If you want to fly generally (but not always) need to be a light load.

hamishspence
2010-07-13, 07:57 AM
If it's on land- it needs to be at least one size smaller than the PC. If humanoid, it should probably be 2 sizes smaller if you don't want "unusual mount penalty"

(Dragon Magazine suggests an ogre with a goblin "tailgunner" is OK though.)

If underwater- same size as the PC is feasible- Arms and Equipment Guide suggests that in water Medium porpoises can be ridden by Medium riders.

Strength- ideally should be high enough to carry PC and gear without penalty. Treasure can be carried by a second creature- a mule or nearest equivalent.

panaikhan
2010-07-13, 07:59 AM
I was considering a Large Viper, but was concerned about the low Str...

hamishspence
2010-07-13, 08:06 AM
Seems like it would be a bit tricky to ride- especially if it was only large by length rather than weight.

Even if it was friendly- can you imagine a Medium or even Small humanoid trying to ride on the back of an 18 ft long, 2 inch thick King Cobra? Poor cobra! :smallfrown:

panaikhan
2010-07-14, 07:11 AM
According to the monster manual, a 'medium' viper occupies a 5' x 5' space coiled. Now, I would amagine this was your 18' snake (kinda like real-world anacondas).

For a snake to coil, and still occupy a 10' x 10' space, I imagine this beastie to be quite a bit larger, and capable of sporting a saddle.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-14, 07:55 AM
According to the monster manual, a 'medium' viper occupies a 5' x 5' space coiled. Now, I would amagine this was your 18' snake (kinda like real-world anacondas).

For a snake to coil, and still occupy a 10' x 10' space, I imagine this beastie to be quite a bit larger, and capable of sporting a saddle.

In the REAL WORLD i have seen a 15 foot python coiled up that fit nicely into plastic tub i'd consider small sized. . . lets call it a 2.5 ft square for simplicity.

that python was however only as big around as my thigh. . . not ridable. if we were to keep the same proportions somthing that filled a 10X10 area when coiled would look like somthing out of a horror movie. . . estimate 60 feet long, and as big around as a man. . .

but as big around as a man is still not exactly ridable. . .by the rules you could ride a large snake. realistically, snakes are simply not designed for riding. . .they are all length and no width. That lack of legs means they pretty much dont get tall enough to carry a rider in any way that makes sense. As a Gm I would rule that you'de need a snake at least 3 sizes larger than you to ride effectively. simply cause snakes arent built for it.

panaikhan
2010-07-14, 08:00 AM
Ah well. It was a nice thought.
How about if it towed one of those american indian hammock-sled thingies?

2xMachina
2010-07-14, 08:04 AM
Sit on the hood!

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-14, 08:11 AM
if its just a flavor thing. . . ride a huge cobra that's been trained to move forward with its head up and sit on its big fanned out head. . .

hamishspence
2010-07-14, 08:30 AM
Titanoboa was decidedly bigger around than a man- basically between 3 and 4 ft thick, 50 ft long, and over a ton in weight.

If length is more important than weight- it might qualify as Huge- thus being big enough for a Small character to ride if you're taking "must be three sizes smaller" as a guideline

Wasn't poisonous- but a venomous version of Titanoboa might qualify as a "ridable snake"

However- as written, sufficiently chunky snaky creatures (the worm in Races of Stone, that Gnomes ride, or the Ashworm, in Sandstorm) are ridable by creatures close to their own size- maybe one or two sizes smaller, rather than 3.

So if a giant viper is based on one of the really fat species, like the Gaboon Viper, only scaled up, it might be ridable by a Medium character.

panaikhan
2010-07-19, 07:12 AM
I've been reading the MM over the weekend, and talking with my DM.
Basically, I miss-read the Large snake entry - they still only occupy 5' x 5', but have reach.
Huge snakes occupy 15' x 15' and have reach - and between us we have come to the conclusion this is the smallest snake a medium humanoid could 'ride'.

Thank you all, for your time and thought on this.

Townopolis
2010-07-19, 07:57 AM
See, you're doing it wrong. You don't "ride" snakes, you "surf" them, and the exotic "saddle" is actually more like the hitches on a snowboard for your shoes.

aivanther
2010-07-19, 08:19 AM
See, you're doing it wrong. You don't "ride" snakes, you "surf" them, and the exotic "saddle" is actually more like the hitches on a snowboard for your shoes.

+1 to this!

Incidentally, this same reason is why I like Dire Bats and Horrid Bats as AC

panaikhan
2010-07-20, 07:31 AM

Just.... wow.

I mean, WOW.

How come my brain can't come up with hoopy ideas like this?
I mean, I would even consider a druid riding 'bareback' (or barefoot, if you will) on a large enough snake, just for the cool factor!

hamishspence
2010-07-20, 08:45 AM
If the snake was a giant sea snake- you could surf with it in the most literal sense :smallbiggrin:

Rising Phoenix
2010-07-20, 09:07 AM
+1 to this!

Incidentally, this same reason is why I like Dire Bats and Horrid Bats as AC

+2 and I am stealing this most awesome idea~!

awa
2010-07-20, 11:13 AM
but surfing the snake would be more difficult hence the -5 penalty