PDA

View Full Version : Curses! [3.5 Cursed Items]

Temotei
2010-07-13, 02:08 PM
Flaming Shoes

Shoes are invaluable to the common man. Fires are great warmers. The two come together for the first time in this footwear! Are you ready to feel the burn? Put on the flaming shoes and go!

These shoes appear to be ordinary travel footwear, though a slight magical power enhances the wearer's speed. Anyone wearing the shoes gets a +10-foot enhancement bonus to their land speed. If the wearer starts to run, however, the shoes start on fire, burning their feet and legs easily. The fire spreads as if the body is made of dry leaves, causing 1d6 fire damage every round until the shoes are removed with a remove curse spell.

Faint conjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, longstrider, produce flame; price 600 gp.

Helm of Infamy

This helmet functions as a helm of teleportation, and continues to do so until the wearer comes within 60 feet of ten people at the same time. The headwear then strikes everyone in the area with an overwhelming desire to harm the wearer because they have become a symbol of infamy and of danger. Others view the wearer as a threat that should be dealt with, regardless of alignment. From then on, every creature within 60 feet of the wearer is hostile, and that hostile status does not disappear, though the actual effect of the helm does, even if it is removed with a limited wish, wish, or miracle. Creatures may make a DC 22 Will save every round they are within the area of effect to resist the effects of the helm.

Strong enchantment; CL 18th; Craft Wondrous Item, teleport, dominate monster, bestow curse; price 40,000 gp.

Quiver of Nothing

This quiver looks like any other quiver on first sight. Magical detection reveals that an extradimensional space is present, allowing infinite items to be placed in the quiver without any encumbrance. However, when the possessing character is attacked by an enemy with a Challenge Rating equal to or greater than their level, all items in the quiver instantly disappear, never to be found again. From then on, any items placed in the quiver disappear, unusable.

Faint conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, bestow curse; price 400 gp.

Rusting Gauntlet

This gauntlet functions as a gauntlet of rust. Whenever the wearer uses rusting grasp or attacks with the gauntlet, however, their hand shrivels up just a little bit. This isn't noticeable until 20 attacks or castings have taken place, when the hand starts turning rust-colored and small bits of skin flake off. The rusting is generally painless, though the skin does constantly itch slightly. After that point, even if the gauntlet is removed, the wearer continues to suffer the effects of rusting, eventually losing their hand altogether. After 50 attacks or castings have taken place, the wearer loses their hand. The only way to reverse the rusting before the hand rusts completely and falls off is with a limited wish, wish, or miracle.

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, rusting grasp, bestow curse; price 4,500 gp.

Sandy Shoes

This pair of shoes acts as a normal pair of shoes until someone wears both. Upon being worn, the shoes fill with sand, forcing them into a rather uncomfortable situation. This imposes a 10-foot penalty to their land speed until the shoes are removed with a remove curse spell. Upon removal, the sand in the shoes disappears.

Moderate conjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, prestidigitation, bestow curse; price 50 gp.

Screaming Headband

This headband acts as a headband of intellect +2. If the wearer casts a spell, the headband immediately starts screaming inside their head, deafening them and forcing them to make a DC 20 + spell level Concentration check or lose the spell. The screaming stops 5 rounds after the caster ends their spellcasting. Any activity other than spellcasting that requires concentration requires a DC 20 Concentration check to be completed. After the screaming stops, the wearer's ears continue to ring loudly, causing them to suffer a -10 penalty to Listen checks for 1 minute. Removing the headband requires a remove curse spell.

Moderate evocation; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, shout; price 2,000 gp.

Symbol of Defective Turning

This religious symbol is one that changes shape to match the possessor's beliefs, making it seem like a symbol any religious person could use. When the possessor attempts to turn undead, they instead create undead as per the create undead spell. However, instead of the undead being under the possessor's control, the undead act of their own accord, usually attacking the nearest living creature. In addition, attempting to turn undead causes all undead in a 20-foot radius gain a +4 profane bonus to attack, damage, and saves, as well as +2 hit points per HD they possess, for 3 rounds.

Moderate necromancy; CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item, create undead, desecrate; price 200 gp.

zenanarchist
2010-07-13, 09:06 PM
Quiver of Nothing

This quiver looks like any other quiver on first sight. Magical detection reveals that an extradimensional space is present, allowing infinite arrows to be placed in the quiver without any encumbrance. However, when the possessing character is attacked by an enemy with a Challenge Rating equal to or greater than their level, all arrows in the quiver instantly disappear, never to be found again. From then on, any arrows placed in the quiver disappear, unusable.

Faint conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, bestow curse; price 400 gp.

Flaming Shoes

Shoes are invaluable to the common man. Fires are great warmers. The two come together for the first time in this footwear! Are you ready to feel the burn? Put on the flaming shoes and go!

These shoes appear to be ordinary travel footwear, though a slight magical power enhances the wearer's speed. Anyone wearing the shoes gets a +10-foot bonus to their land speed. If the wearer starts to run, however, the shoes start on fire, burning their feet and legs easily. The fire spreads as if the body is made of dry leaves, causing 1d6 fire damage every round until the shoes are removed with a remove curse spell.

Faint conjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, longstrider, produce flame; price 600 gp.

Helm of Infamy

This helmet functions as a helm of teleportation, and continues to do so until the wearer comes within 60 feet of ten people at the same time. The headwear then strikes everyone in the area with an overwhelming desire to harm the wearer because they have become a symbol of infamy, of danger. Others view the wearer as a threat that should be dealt with, regardless of alignment. From then on, every creature within 60 feet of the wearer is hostile, and that hostile status does not disappear, even if the helm is removed with a limited wish, wish, or miracle. Creatures may make a DC 22 Will save every round they are within the area of effect to resist the effects of the helm.

Strong enchantment; CL 18th; Craft Wondrous Item, teleport, dominate monster, bestow curse; price 40,000 gp.

You're trying to get some DM's killed aren't you Tem?

Temotei
2010-07-13, 09:09 PM
You're trying to get some DM's killed aren't you Tem?

The characters die first if it's the helm of infamy. Depending on their level, a character could survive the flaming shoes. :smallcool:

The quiver of nothing is just annoying. The worst part would be putting magical ammunition in there and losing it, but if someone loses their ammo in the quiver, I doubt they'll put more in there.

Cursed items need more love hate. :smalltongue:

Roc Ness
2010-07-13, 09:12 PM
<Cool Cursed Stuff>

Oh god. Imagine all three of them on one guy... first a random powerful stranger attacks him for no apparent reason. Reaches for bow to defend himself, can't find arrows. Tries to run away, burns and dies in the process...

:smallwink:

Temotei
2010-07-13, 09:16 PM
Oh god. Imagine all three of them on one guy... first a random powerful stranger attacks him for no apparent reason. Reaches for bow to defend himself, can't find arrows. Tries to run away, burns and dies in the process...

:smallwink:

Or rather, runs into a city for protection while on fire, then realizes everyone is attacking him...:smallbiggrin:

flabort
2010-07-13, 09:27 PM
Hah, hah!
Awsome.

going to add more soon?

if needed, I could provide inspiration....
Jaw of Chattering (Graft, replaces jaw, haw, haw!), Arrow of bouncing (usefull if used right), ghostloss <weapon> (applied to ghosttouch), <item> of antigravity, ring of rapid aging

Temotei
2010-07-13, 09:54 PM
going to add more soon?

Not a bad idea.

if needed, I could provide inspiration....
Jaw of Chattering (Graft, replaces jaw, haw, haw!), Arrow of bouncing (usefull if used right), ghostloss <weapon> (applied to ghosttouch), <item> of antigravity, ring of rapid aging

I'm not too familiar with grafts, so I'll probably stay out of that territory. The arrow of bouncing would be kind of fun. Ghostloss...I imagine you mean to have the weapon automatically fail in that territory? Antigravity items would be fun, but really, really cruel. I'm not sure I want to be responsible for that.

*Puts on ring of antigravity, not realizing that it's not a ring of feather fall*
Character: There...that should...whoa! Why am I falling up?
DM: *snicker* Your knowledge of the magics reveals to you that the ring is cursed. You will continue to fall up until it is removed.
Player: Removed!
DM: *snicker* Sorry, it doesn't come off without a remove curse spell.

Rope trick might counter that, however, if you've got it prepared.

Unless you meant anti-gravity as in just not staying on the ground, i.e. fly, but not able to control movement.

I thought about rapid aging, actually. I just didn't add it. :smallamused:

Anyway, I might add more. If I do, I'll post again, bumping it so everyone can see.

Froogleyboy
2010-07-13, 09:59 PM
If you don't mind, I'm totally gonna use these

Temotei
2010-07-13, 10:10 PM
If you don't mind, I'm totally gonna use these

Go ahead. That makes me feel all fuzzy inside! :smallamused:

Temotei
2010-07-13, 11:31 PM
I added the rusting gauntlet, a nasty thing that eventually makes you lose a hand. Are there rules for somatic component spell failure when you lose a part you're used to having and using?

Screaming headband added.

Symbol of defective turning added. This one's just mean.

Peregrine
2010-07-14, 09:11 AM
The thing to watch out for with cursed items is, what happens if the players find out they're cursed? Either they got lucky with identify, or the item is retrievable once its curse is activated. In that case, is it possible to (ab)use the item while avoiding or working around the curse?

Quiver of Nothing

Infinite space for arrows just sounds abusable, though I can't think of any specific uses off the top of my head. Perhaps limit how fast they can be retrieved, to prevent a rain of ten thousand arrows being dumped out all at once?

The curse itself is pretty absolute and hard to avoid, though. Especially since the DM could just contrive to have a high-CR enemy pop up if the players were abusing the quiver.

On the other hand, is the curse itself abusable? Instant irretrievable disposal of any item -- is it really limited to arrows only? (Can you just not place other stuff in there, or does other stuff not go to the extradimensional space/oblivion?)

Flaming Shoes

Dirt cheap untyped bonus to speed -- all you have to do is never use the run action!

Helm of Infamy

Doesn't look abusable. (Unless you slip it on the head of your worst enemy.) In fact it looks a little too harsh -- no way to be rid of the curse, ever?

Rusting Gauntlet

Doesn't look abusable. But you say that on the one hand (pun not intended), the hand will eventually be lost even if the gauntlet is taken off -- but on the other, you say that the hand is only lost once the gauntlet is used 50 times. So how and when do you lose your hand if you take the gauntlet off after 20 uses, never to be worn again?

Screaming Headband

Cheap Int boost for non-spellcasters (rogues might like it). Not so cheap as to look broken, though.

Symbol of Defective Turning

A neutral cleric who chose to turn undead, but who was not otherwise opposed to the creation or use of undead, could put this to good use. It's not clear whether the undead-boosting effect is constant or activated by a turning attempt; if constant, the item is even better! Definitely problematic.

flabort
2010-07-14, 09:14 AM
I thought <item> of anti-gravity would end up with an encounter like this:

DM: Walking into the next room, you see several things:
An obvious trip cord.
A mecanical crossbow mounted to the wall.
A human skeleton lying across the trip cord.
A massive sword sticking out of the roof.
An exit from the dungeon.
Player: I look for loot.
DM: All you find is the sword. do you want to make a strength check?
Player: Yah, natural 20. I yank it out of the roof. Oh, and 16+7 on apraise check.
DM:It seems to be a +3 burning dragons bane broadsword of Undead bane, although you have trouble holding onto it.
Player: I leave the dungeon.
DM: Make a strength check.
Player: 2+5
DM: You lose your grip on your sword. Whether it was it's irrisistable pull, or your sweaty palms, you can't tell, but as soon as you let go, it goes zipping into the air, never to be seen again.
Player: WHAT?!?!?!?! I. KILLLL. YOU!!!! That was a +3 burning dragons bane broadsword of undead slaying! And it's gone just like that?!

Although feel free to interpret otherwise.
Mwah heee hee haa her... heh, heh....

Morph Bark
2010-07-14, 09:19 AM
The Quiver of Nothing makes me think there should be a "Quiver of Fear" that functions similarly, but when faced with an opponent of equal or greater CR, you have to make a Will save DC 10 + opponent CR or become shaken. If failing the save by 5 or more, you become frightened instead. If failing the save by 10 or more, you become panicked instead. If you ever become panicked while wearing the quiver, the arrows in the quiver disappear permanently.

Morph Bark
2010-07-14, 09:22 AM
Jaw of Chattering (Graft, replaces jaw, haw, haw!)

Skull joke!

Temotei
2010-07-14, 12:30 PM
Infinite space for arrows just sounds abusable, though I can't think of any specific uses off the top of my head. Perhaps limit how fast they can be retrieved, to prevent a rain of ten thousand arrows being dumped out all at once?

The curse itself is pretty absolute and hard to avoid, though. Especially since the DM could just contrive to have a high-CR enemy pop up if the players were abusing the quiver.

On the other hand, is the curse itself abusable? Instant irretrievable disposal of any item -- is it really limited to arrows only? (Can you just not place other stuff in there, or does other stuff not go to the extradimensional space/oblivion?)

Hmm...I'll reword it to say any items in the quiver disappear. For some reason, I didn't even think about that.

Dirt cheap untyped bonus to speed -- all you have to do is never use the run action!

Eh. It's a tiny bonus to speed. While helpful, I doubt it'll break anything. I might make it an enhancement bonus, though.

Doesn't look abusable. (Unless you slip it on the head of your worst enemy.) In fact it looks a little too harsh -- no way to be rid of the curse, ever?

Yeah...that's not how I meant to word it. Hehe. I meant that even after you take it off with one of those spells, the people are still hostile. I'll reword it, since that's pretty problematic.

Doesn't look abusable. But you say that on the one hand (pun not intended), the hand will eventually be lost even if the gauntlet is taken off -- but on the other, you say that the hand is only lost once the gauntlet is used 50 times. So how and when do you lose your hand if you take the gauntlet off after 20 uses, never to be worn again?

This isn't noticeable until 20 attacks or castings have taken place, when the hand starts turning rust-colored and small bits of skin flake off. The rusting is generally painless, though the skin does constantly itch slightly. After that point, even if the gauntlet is removed, the wearer continues to suffer the effects of rusting, eventually losing their hand altogether. After 50 attacks or castings have taken place, the wearer loses their hand.

Granted, if the player somehow figures out the gauntlet caused the rusting, they're going to try out a bunch of ways to get rid of it, but hey. At least it's not totally cruel.

Cheap Int boost for non-spellcasters (rogues might like it). Not so cheap as to look broken, though.

I noticed that, but the boost is small, and skill points per level don't go up from Intelligence boosts from items, so it's not really that bad. So, not abusable, but usable by some. Sort of like the net of snaring.

A neutral cleric who chose to turn undead, but who was not otherwise opposed to the creation or use of undead, could put this to good use. It's not clear whether the undead-boosting effect is constant or activated by a turning attempt; if constant, the item is even better! Definitely problematic.

When the possessor attempts to turn undead, they instead create undead as per the create undead spell. However, instead of the undead being under the possessor's control, the undead act of their own accord, usually attacking the nearest living creature. In addition, all undead in a 20-foot radius gain a +4 profane bonus to attack, damage, and saves, as well as +2 hit points per HD they possess.

I'll word it so the boost only happens after a turning.

If the players find a way to abuse these after the darned precautions, good for them.