PDA

View Full Version : The Queens Cup IC

Chambers
2010-07-13, 02:51 PM
The Queens Cup
OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159949)

The Queens Cup attracts people from all walks of life. For two weeks nearly everything else in the Kingdom is put on hold. The government even gives out free food and shelter to those that otherwise couldn't afford to miss work so that they may attend. In years past even ongoing wars have been temporarily suspended with contestants from the rival nations joining in the competition. It's the biggest celebration of the year and Queen Arela makes sure that it's done right.

Some competitors form their own specialized teams and enter together while others register solo and are matched up with teammates. You three have been selected to compete together in the Mages category, as the competition is grouped by skill type. Some teams are warriors, others magical or skilled. The less experienced teams face a watered down version of the challenge while the tough heros enter a deathtrap.

Your test will be somewhere in between.

It's morning, the day for your challenge. It's the fifth day of the competition and all the lower brackets have finished their challenges. A low number of deaths this year, only 2 died on the Gauntlet. 5 more didn't come back from the Fire Swamp while a record low 12 perished against the Guardians. Those who died in the Queens Cup were buried with full state honors the day before yesterday, and yesterday itself was marked as a day of mourning for their sacrifice and celebration of their courage. Today starts the first day of the next bracket and your team is the first one up.

The Gauntlet itself is built each year in the Royal Coliseum which holds nearly 50,000 spectators. Waiting in the underground passages beneath the Coliseum, a steward comes by and knocks on your room. "10 minutes, Sirs."

First - you can start right now with any 10 minute, hour, or 24 hour buffs already cast. If there's something you would have down the previous night or early morning just tell me in OOC and it should be fine.

Rules for the Gauntlet. [These only apply to the Gauntlet, not the rest of the competition]

1: No flying of any kind.
2: No teleportation of any kind.
3: Traps on the Guantlet may be disabled.
4: You may begin the Gauntlet with spells cast provided that their durations are longer than 1 round per level.
5: The object is to complete the Gauntlet in the least amount of time. [i.e. least number of rounds]

Description of the Gauntlet.

First obstacle is a descending ramp that must be walked/run up.
Second is a set of monkey bars spanning a spiked pit. There is a ladder in the pit allowing you to climb up and attempt the bars again if you fall into the pit.
Third are three spinning logs spanning a water pit. There is a ladder in the pit allowing you to climb up on the other side of the logs if you fall into the pit.
Fourth is a cargo net that must be climbed.
Fifth is a zipline that you may ride down. Jets of random energy will blast you as you ride down the zipline. Alternatively you may jump off the ledge or climb down (no ladder) and crawl under the jets.

The last part of the Gauntlet is the Elimination Arena.

Elimination Arena.

A 30ft guard tower made of force is in the middle of the arena. 5ft walls of force are randomly placed in the Arena. The objective is to get to the other side and through the closed door.

The top of the guard tower is an enclosed room with murder holes all around it. Inside are archers that will shoot anyone out in the open. The 5ft walls of force provide total cover from the archers.

Here's a picture. Don't laugh.

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/unnamedhero91/gauntlet.png

Final note: The above description of the Gauntlet is what you observed from watching the earlier competitions. Your group will face a more challenger version, though the basics remain the same.

jiriku
2010-07-13, 03:38 PM
Steward at the door. I hear him before he knocks. I smell him. Faugh. He smells of rosewater, and women's perfume.

A whispered prayer, and the odors fade, lose their clarity. Time to dress.

Cheap boots, they don't really fit. How many pairs have I had to buy this season? Loose clothing, for movement. A chain shirt covers the vitals. A heavy jacket covers the chainmail. A low-brimmed hat and a long coat cover the rest. It's hot. I'll sweat. But it covers my skin...and I don't like it when they look at me. They can say what they wish, taunt as they wish. Just...don't stare.

Valentin is ready, and leaves his room at the appointed time. He fingers his rosary, but it is merely nervous habit. The Beast is quiet for now. He is in control. I am in control.

He takes his place with his companions when they arrive.