PDA

View Full Version : Contact information for Mr. Burlew

Johnbai
2010-07-13, 03:47 PM
While I'm a long-time reader of OoTS, I just signed up for the forums. I hope this thread doesn't break long-standing protocols of the forum. If this question has been answered, or if there's a better place to post this question, your advice is more than welcome. I searched the FAQs already to no avail.

I wanted to send an email directly to Mr. Burlew, but haven't found a simple "contact me" button anywhere. The purpose of my email would be to ask him if he is open to doing a small piece of commissioned art... a single panel that I was hoping would make a great present for a friend that I play D&D with, and who also reads OoTS religiously. And, if Mr. Burlew is interested, how much money would be an acceptable price?

If anyone can answer this... or advise me on how to contact the artist directly, I'd much appreciate it.

Keld Denar
2010-07-13, 03:52 PM
Probably the best way to go about this would be to pass along a PM through one of his most trusted henchmen admins. Try sending a PM via Rawhide or Roland. Both are easy to locate and VERY active, and in fact will probably have mind controlled responded to this thread by the time I finish typing this.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-07-13, 03:57 PM
The easiest and best way would probably to find out to which conventions he's going and try to see and ask him there.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-13, 03:59 PM
The easiest and best way would probably to find out to which conventions he's going and try to see and ask him there.

Does he still go to them?

You can send him a PM direct, but I don't know how often he checks it.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-13, 04:02 PM
Does he still go to them?

Yeah, I thought he was taking time off because of his illness.

Anyway, I'm sure sooner or later an admin or even Rich himself will see this thread and answer your question.

Mauve Shirt
2010-07-13, 04:17 PM
Perhaps you should take this request to the Arts & Crafts forum and find an artist to make it for free, without bothering Rich.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-13, 04:21 PM
Perhaps you should take this request to the Arts & Crafts forum and find an artist to make it for free, without bothering Rich.

Sounds like part of the reason for wanting it would be the fact that the author and artist made it themselves. As it's a present and all.

Johnbai
2010-07-13, 06:32 PM
Thank you for replies and suggestions thus far. I was aware that the artist is dealing with health issues... and also thought he was avoiding public appearances these days. I also appreciate the suggestion to find another artist to do something in the same style... but it wouldn't be the same.

The goal was to see if he would be willing to illustrate a scene from one of our recent D&D games... in which a crazed goblin is riding on top of a hurtling railroad cart inside a mining tunnel... the cart has been modified into a wooden cage with a feral wildcat inside.

It was an epic visual from our game session... and I couldn't help but see the goblin as one of Rich's stick figure goblins. In fact, OoTS has had such an impact on my D&D experience that I often visualize our scenes in Burlew's signature art style. Then it occurred to me that he might be willing to make some extra bucks doing a little commissioned piece of artwork.

I know he's very private and dedicated to following his own muse when it comes to OoTS. I don't know if he would feel odd about illustrating a panel in the OoTS style for someone else.

Deathslayer7
2010-07-13, 06:55 PM
I believe he doesn't accept money for his drawings (unless it is merchandise you are buying). From what I know people have wanted to donate him but he has not taken anything. In fact, he tells people to go to some Charitys which you can donate money there.

He does this because

a) he doesn't want to feel like he owes the readers anything for giving him money. It his comic and he makes his money soley off merchandise bought. That way when people cant say "I donated money so I should see some new comics."

I think asking him to draw for money would fit into this category but I could be wrong.

But as the others said: You can ask someone in Arts and Crafts to draw it. :smallsmile:

Roland St. Jude
2010-07-13, 08:53 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Obviously by having an account, The Giant can be sent a PM. No publicly available email address for him exists.