PDA

View Full Version : Of Blood and Mists (IC)

un_known
2010-07-13, 03:56 PM
Track for while reading the Prologue cut-scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=1-J42NUrP9Q&feature=related
Shadows Descend, By Midnight Syndicate

The OOC Thread is here: OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8915093#post8915093)

Cut-Scene Prologue
Oland peered out through the window in the tower overlooking the north gate. He had a simple job that paid well. He would watch for people, monsters, or well anything that wanted to get into the town and if they were human let them in and if they weren’t, sound the alarm and hope that the guards could get to the North Gate in time.

The trees of the forest twisted and swayed in the non-existent wind. The flag didn’t move yet the trees swayed from side to side, twisting and turning. The rustling of their leaves was almost like voices calling out to hapless travelers, inviting them into the dark embrace of their forest. A forest filled with evil and darkness. Why someone so long ago had decided to start a lumber industry in this forest was nigh impossible to figure out. The lumber wasn’t that good and the forest was too much trouble. Even the mine just outside of town was a disaster. Day in and day out workers would mine away at the rocks only to find they’d dug into the lair of something and now people talk about a hidden temple that was found beneath the earth in the mine. Some say that the owner of the mine who never gets seen in town performs dark rituals in the evil that is whatever was found there. But that is just an old wives tale and Oland doesn’t gossip.

But he does like stories. In the forest creatures are said to stalk through the twisted trees and in the dead of night you are said to be able to hear the screams of travelers being mauled to death. Legends spoke of cities that had appeared before travelers in these dark woods and only after the travelers had checked in and went to bed did they notice they were simply being preyed upon by dream creatures. Their worst nightmares would be given flesh. But those weren’t the worst things in the forest. Even more obscured in myth and mists were ancient creatures, things that could drain the very life from someone.

Oland could imagine the creatures sinking their claws and teeth into his body. Whilst shivering a quick rap on the door to the guard post brought Oland back to the land of the wakeful. He seemed to have nodded off staring out that window. Quickly glancing at it he noticed what looked almost like a group of shadows moving across the field towards the town. But quickly dismissed it and opened the door. It was Justin Lefayne, the other night watchman and after exchanging some brief words Oland grabbed him cloak and drawing it around himself on the chilly autumn evening he strode out from his guard post at the south gate.

Oland was a middle aged human from a pure bloodline. Pure being that it had never mixed with any of the other race or those mysterious Vistani, the outcast gypsies. His wife Illandya and his two sons were out of town with the children at their aunt’s estate, near Vallaki, on the shores of Lake Zarovich. And so he was free to do whatever he wanted. He’d decided that it was best to go to the tavern tonight maybe the town bard Lyck Hon Nightsong would be there. Not that he liked the music as he told everyone, even though he did, but because he wanted to hear the gruesomely grisly tales of everything that went bump in the night.

He’d walked down the windswept streets of Berez many times during the night, but he could feel something different in the air. Maybe it was that the dark streets and shadowy alleyways weren’t illuminated by the light of the moon. Tonight there was no moon, it was a dark moon night or as astronomers called it, a new moon. He wasn’t afraid of the dark; here there were many things to be afraid of, but as a rule inside the town you were safe.

As he steadily strode towards the inn he could hear the sounds of wings flapping. He’d once heard about a group of flying demons that had attacked a town not far from here and a look of terror filled his eyes. Maybe he wasn’t as safe as he’d thought he’d always be. He skirted beneath the eve of a nearby house and looking above himself he saw nothing. No silhouettes in the night sky save the stars above and a few stray clouds. And then out corner of his eye he saw something land upon the belfry of the town chapel. The sight filled him with dread and then the light of the stars fell upon it, a cloud must have drifted away. For revealed with its head cocked to one side and eyes glinting maliciously was a raven; a sign of good luck. He clutched his chest the fear leaving him and he stepped out from under the eve.

He moved into the town square looking at the lone raven and then something caught his attention. The sound of a shuffling in the alley beside the chapel and a strange shadow had momentarily been there in full vision. He moved closer to the alleyway. The shadows cast down by the chapel and tall townhouses on either side blanketed the alley in darkness. The alley was dark and there was no one there, but being of a curious nature he took a step into the darkness of the alley. But no one was there; he felt wind brush his shoulder and flutter his cloak. It was picking up, and clouds were gathering. A storm was brewing and so he decided to move along at a quicker pace.

Turning out from the ally he could see the Tavern’s sign swinging in the breeze. Strolling towards the tavern the wind began to rise even more. The soft breeze ripped up into a gale tossing the colouring leaves from the autumn trees a chill permeated into this wind and suddenly Oland felt he was being watched. He turned to look behind him but no one was there and then he saw it. A shadow flickered across his vision. The visage of a cloaked man flitted across the shadowed street, towards him.

Without looking back he turned and ran; barrelling past the tavern just intent on getting away from whatever was now chasing him. He scooted down through an ally and came to the courtyard of his house. The windows were dark. Striding forward he walked past the small brook that gurgled next to his house.

Putting the key into the lock two hands reached out and gripped him from behind. He attempted to scream but the sound caught in his throat and wouldn’t come out. He had been trained to fight rogues and he quickly utilized his training flipping his assailant over him but as tried to the assailant simply wasn’t their. Oland tumbled forward crashing into his door before jumping up and staggering towards where he though his assailant was, blood flying from his nose.

He saw a dark shape standing behind a crate and he lunged crashing into the crate. It should of made a sound, the cracking of wood. But it was silent like this assailant. He struggled to rise from the wooden debris but then a foot came down upon his chest and from the shadows in front of him stepped a cloaked figure holding a sickle. Next to this cloaked was another one both wearing long dark cloaks. He looked at where the face of his assailants should be and he simply saw darkness; fear enveloped him. He attempted to scream as the sickle came down but couldn’t. So the only sounds in the night were the lone raven’s call in the distance and then utter silence. The silence of a New Moons dark night stained with blood.

From the tall bell tower of the town chapel one would have a spectacular view of the entire town including the Square with its fountain sitting right there in the midst of it all. Looking out from the chapel it would seem that the square was designed like a star. And to be true it was designed like a star. The main road going to the North and South cut along the far side of the square and right in the center of that road was another going east. These three roads where the only avenues that cart or wagon could fit through. The road going north and south would reach the walls and go on through the tall iron gates but the one to the east just rambled on past the few shops there was and simply ending at the wall. The other two points of this five pointed star were the north-western alley and south-western one. It was here at the north-western alley that the crowd was gathering. The sheriff had blocked off the area and a white sheet was lying across a body. The fact you could call the sheet was white was a miracle in itself since the poor person who’d died had been ripped or sliced right open through the stomach.

Sheriff Desmond had the town Crier of to one side. Their hushed whispers the few details he was prepared to share. The look of disgust and terror on the Criers face was a testament to just what had happened to the individual. As they part ways the Crier looks at the Sheriff his eyes alight with morbid fascination as he saw the Sheriff raising the white sheet for a moment but then his face fell. His look became that of a man who had lost his own child, the Sheriff walked back to him and from the snip someone in crowd caught they heard the name, ‘Annabeth’.

The Crier calls out from the steps of the Chapel for those there to gather before him and as they do he speaks, “My friends and colleagues a dreadful thing has happened here last night. You all knew Annabeth the apothecaries apprentice or at least of you who got sick during the recent bought of Scarlet Fever did. She… she is no more.” The cries and gasps of shock from the crowd are heart wrenching. But the Crier continues, “I am sad to say this but we do not know what has killed her and in the manner that she died it is quite possible we never will. I only hope that all of you will pay your respects this afternoon as we bury her next to her mother’s grave.”

A man cries out, “No my daughter! Why?” He crumples to the ground and an old priest who no one had noticed was standing there steps forward.

“Come my child, in the arms of the Morninglord you will solace. And on a much lighter note be happy with this death, for our town will not suffer again today. For this fateful day the Collector will be coming and you know he does not take money,” the old priest says unemotionally.

“No not my daughter, the collector will not have her blood. I don’t care about anything except my daughter. She was all I had. You said she would be safe there Priest! You said that the morning lord would protect us all! Look what you have done!” The man, presumably Annabeth’s father, screams. He turns towards the north and runs like a mad man, crying as he goes.

A heart wrenching scream fills the air like the wail of a banshee. To the east a woman stumbles out of an alley. She’s screaming and crying, and on her hands is blood...

What to do now?

This adventure begins with the thought that the characters would decide to investigate these brutal murders. Anything learned from the Prologue is not actually known by the characters. You can begin with anything. Introducing your characters would be the bestign thing to start with before searching out what happened.

Rannil
2010-07-13, 04:49 PM
Everyone who could have seen Skirya entering the instantly would have called her an adventure or traveller, she carried a backpack that looked quite filled and was armed with both a longsword and shield. She did seem to struggle with the weight of it all, but still had a steady pass, compared to other humans with that much weight.
But for an adventure she was small, not even reaching 5 feet in length. Her shoulder long dark ash, almost black, hair made her look smaller and hide most of her face. Her green eyes seemed bright and out of place compared to the all the other dark colors surrounding her face. As she continued on her hair seemed to dance, almost flow, around her head.
But there was something off-putting, something strange that you can't put her finger of. Almost as she was a half-blood, with a non human parent. Although it was hard to guess what kind of bloodline she had.
She was accompanied by a raven, who state on her shoulder. The raven had a strange dark look in its already black eyes.

"For a first impression of the 'human world' this is a terrible one." She thought as stood at the village square. A large crowd was gathered and they just announced someone got murdered that night. Judging from the reactions Skirya suspected it was a rare thing. Although when a man started crying and a priest said shooting, yet unemotional, words to him she got the feeling maybe it did happen earlier. It was the mention of a collector that made her doubt.

Her thoughts got interrupted by a scream. She looked around to see where it came from and saw a woman covered in blood. Curious as she was she decided to stay in the background for now, but suddenly her raven flew towards to woman. Skirya sighed, she couldn't leave her raven alone, and ran after her raven.

Koboldshroud
2010-07-14, 12:03 AM
He was a thin but muscular man with extremely pale skin, though you wouldnt know seeing as his body is completely wrapped in black and purple cloth, the only part of him that shows are his eyes which are a pale blue. Kakari was in his hut gutting a smallish boar when he heard a human cry. He frowned and threw sthe majority of the raw meat into a chest. The more sinewy ''unedible'' parts (by the other peoples standerds) such as hooves, ears, and bbits of fat and bone he threw into a couldren over a fire. The leather he wrapped over the top of the couuldren. He then proceeded to grab his sword and bow, ran out of his hut and to the more centre of town to where he had heard the scream, he stopped at the sight of a woman covered on her hands with blood, when he noticed the raven flying towards her he drew an arrow and aimed at it (im not rolling to hit because im assuming the ravens owner will stop me)

Croverus
2010-07-14, 10:26 AM
Phelandore Swiftrunner, called Bloodknuckle by those that have watched him brawling, was helping unload one of the caravans he'd been traveling with when he heard the screams. He set down the crate he was carrying and watched as the commotion attracted a bit of a crowd. He wasn't really one to get involved in the issues of small towns. He continued unloading the carts, but watched the crowds. He was still interested in hearing about what happened he just wasn't going to go offering his assistance when he didn't know what was happening. Though, if there was an opportunity to challenge his skills, maybe then he'd help out.

un_known
2010-07-14, 02:51 PM
“What do you think you are doing!” A boy screams at Kakari before coming to stand directly infront of the arrow aimed at the Raven. Before continuing in a blithe rage, “You were going to kill a Raven? You abomination, maybe I shouldn’t have stopped you and seen just how a lifetime of bad luck would have been.”

The boy is about 18 years of age. His sandy brown hair comes down around his ears and accentuates his deep green eyes. His features are sharp and the look of pure seething anger only makes him look younger. He wears a travelers cloak and seems like he is about to say something before,

“Tristan get away from there you bloody idiot! Are you trying to get yourself killed?” A heavily accented voice speaks out. It comes from an older man in far nicer garb yells at the boy from across the square. The man looks to be in his late fifties. He has a brass topped cane and wears a tight embroidered cloak around himself. A scarf swaths around his neck is the light autumn breeze and as he walks towards you the leaves twirl around him as if to emphasize his entrance. “I am Calthos Vedowmere I am the Bürgermeister of this small town and that is my son Tristan.”

ninjaneer003
2010-07-14, 09:58 PM
Axle Libran, was a rather thin and frail looking man, with short brown hair and a long red coat. His eyes shown a fierce intelligence and a hit of weariness from his travel with the caravan. Looking at the large leather bound tome in his hand and the glasses in his front pocket most would assume him to be a scholar of some sort. As we was walking down the street he hear a scream from around the corner and (mostly out of curiosity and the startle the scream had gave him) he quickly turned round the corner to see what was happening. As he turned he saw a woman with her hands covered in blood and a raven flying toward her. Axle walks cautiously closer to get a better understand of what's going on in this town.

Koboldshroud
2010-07-14, 10:40 PM
Kakari gives Tristan a look as if to say, i could have hit you with this. He then turns to Calthos and bows his robed head slightly, motioning towards his hut on the outskirts of town. ''i know, i live here'' He then turns his head to look at the woman with bloodied hands and starts striding towards her, past the boy, his bow still in hand.

Croverus
2010-07-17, 06:44 AM
He hears more commotion and sets down the crate he was carrying, motioning to the driver.

"I'll be right back. I want to take a look at what all the commotion is about."

He nods and turns, heading towards Calthos, who loked like he had some authority.

"Excuse me sir, what's all the commotion going on? I heard some yelling. I'm Phelandore Swiftrunner. I'm known among the traders and caravan travelers as Bloodknuckle. If there's something I could help with."

un_known
2010-07-28, 01:55 PM
For Skirya Only

Blood… So much blood everywhere. The woman’s hands were covered in it and a distinct feeling was coming from Skirya’s Raven that this was innocent; the blood of an Innocent Victim.

Everyone

The woman wore plain clothes. The shades were nearly the same as everyone wore but slightly cut lower then most. The blouse of white cotton came down in a startling V that would take the breath of most men away. A small trinket dangled from the woman’s neck; a tiny rose petal shaped pendant. The womans skirt was also white but now is stained red. She looks up almost straight at the Raven with a look of hatred before looking to the Sheriff.

Before the woman could say anything the Sheriff asks, “What happened?”
“I was coming out of my house and I saw Oland lying beside the brook between our houses. The one that runs under the city and surfaces in some of the front and back yards.” With that comment the sound of a gurgling brook could be only just made out beneath the stones under your feet. It burbles along at an unseemly pace for such a small brook. Almost as if something quickened the water.

She continued, “I thought he’d fallen over drunk the night before and so I went over to him. I turned over and there was so much blood. To much blood for one person I’d think. His entire face was peeled off and his eyes were gone. I’ve never seen anything like this before.”

The Sheriff’s face betrays an inner thought; he wasn’t startled by this murder. It might just be that he’s seen so much here or maybe he’s seen more of this before. He touches the woman’s arm and helps her stand. “Get cleaned up and don’t talk about this till after the festival.” He slips her some coins before letting her go.

She stumbles away slowly the fear in her eyes. A haunted look filled her and as she stumbled forwards people backed away as if she were cursed or defiled. Death it seems is something that people take seriously.

The Mayor nears the Sheriff and whispers into his ear something just out of your hearing. And quickly the Sheriff begins to move people away; telling them to go back to their business before disappearing down an alley in the direction the woman had come from originally.

Rannil
2010-08-01, 01:46 AM
Skirya starea at her raven for a moment and then whispers in draconic. "Innocent blood?" She shakes her head and watches as the women explains what see saw, that must be a gruesome side indeed. Something out of curiosity whelms op and she peaks in the alley.

When looking back at the major she realized he knew a lot more. Again, as she thought that she was not getting involved, her raven flew towards the major. The bird starting cawing in draconic, asking the same questions she sort of wanted to know. She slowly walks towards the major.