PDA

View Full Version : Judo monk - how would you make it work?

big teej
2010-07-13, 06:05 PM
greetings members of the playground

I have recently had the (maniacally laughter filled) pleasure of rolling up a monk. but not just ANY monk mind you. a JUDO monk, that's right, he throws people. :smallbiggrin:

the problem is, the grapple rules.... are not exactly in depth enough to cover what I want to do.

the rules we have to work with basically devolve in to 'okay I grab him' -opposed roll- 'okay I throw him'

I want MORE!!!

I want to be able to play a character who really does fight almost exclusivly through throwing, somethin that gives me the freedom to say something like

"I grab him by the lapels of his jacket, and chuck him over my shoulder"

and the rolls (and potential damage) to reflect this

so I cast my conundrum upon ye, in hopes that I may find a solution more consistent than
me: I throw him like this -insert description-
DM: okay roll x y z
me: success
DM: okay this happens. it deals this much damage

or some variation there of

please thankyou loveyoubunches in advance :smallbiggrin:

*if any further information is required about my monk ask and it shall be given, but I couldn't think of why feat selection and whatnot would matter much for this discussion, so I left it out on purpose... however, if that does come to have some impact on suggestions, I'll post anything required about my monk

So far I've thrown a man off a cliff.... I was helping him look for his warhammer that had been thrown off the edge by.... somebody :smallredface:

Keld Denar
2010-07-13, 06:07 PM
Obligatory Unarmed Swordsage focusing on Setting Sun manevuers mention...

Do a search around for Tome of Battle guides, and read that book if possible. Exactly what you want is done quite elegantly in that book. Good luck getting it outside of that book though...its kinda a rough mechanic.

lsfreak
2010-07-13, 06:09 PM
Tome of Battle. The Setting Sun discipline has some things that are exactly like this. But D&D is, by its nature, abstraction, so everything is pretty much "I do this, described in an awesome way, but that just comes down to a few dice rolls."

A way of getting something similar is Dodge + Improved Trip + Sidestep Charge and possible Defensive Throw. This doesn't actually throw people, but gets something similar.

EDIT: You can look up the maneuvers here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a).

Caphi
2010-07-13, 06:15 PM
Thirding the unarmed Setting Sunsage. I'd toss in Diamond Mind too.

Fortuna
2010-07-13, 06:28 PM
Further agreement on Tome of Battle, as if you didn't have enough. If you don't mind a bit of a magical feel, then you could try Shadow Sun Ninja.

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 06:29 PM
Check out the grapple rules in the SRD and decide what combat maneuvers could be appropriated to certain stages of the grapple.

Ie.

Momentous Take Down - As the opponent reaches for you, you back up and make a swift hooking round house kick to their backside, causing them to collapse.

Requires: Stage 1 of the grapple listing.

Mechanic: If the opponent misses their attack of opportunity, you may make a free unarmed strike against them that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If the attack deals damage, the opponent must make a balance check of DC equal to your attack roll + damage - 8 - size modifier over your size modifier (if your size is greater then the value is positive and adds in the equation, not negative and subtracting) - their strength modifier over your strength modifier (again, positive if your modifier is greater than theirs) or fall prone.

Or

Wrist Snag - You snag the opponent by the wrist and then lead them swiftly on their heels.

Requires: Stage 2 of the grapple listing.

Mechanic: On a successful touch attack to grab the target, make a Dex check opposed by the target's dex check. If you succeed, you may perform any combat maneuver or action that does not involve bull rushing, overruning, disarming, sundering or tripping the opponent. You can move up to your base speed, causing the opponent to move with you. You can fall prone causing the opponent to fall prone.

If you succeed over the opponent's dex check by 8 or more, you may lead the opponent without actually performing any action yourself. Thus, the opponent moves wherever you tell them move, but only half. You can cause the opponent to fall prone without falling prone yourself. Doing so in this way is a free action.

Judo Throw - With minimal body strength, mostly supplemented by your own weight and opponent's momentum, you divert your opponent into the air over your backside.

Requires: Stage 2 of the grapple listing.

Mechanic: After a successful touch attack to grab the target, make an unarmed attack versus the opponent's reflex save (does not provoke attacks of opportunity). If you beat the opponent's save, you may throw them in the direction opposite to the square they were situated in during the time of your grapple attempt. The opponent is hurled 5ft. + 5 for every 5 that they failed their reflex save to oppose your unarmed attack. The opponent must make a balance check equal to 10 + 2 for every 5ft. they have been hurled or fall prone. If they land in a space occupied by an obstacle, the balance DC increases by +6 and they both deal to the object and take damage from it.

Or

Scissor Hold - You snare the opponent in a choking pin.

Requires: Stage 3 of the grapple listing.

Mechanic: After a successful grapple check opposed by the opponent's, you and the opponent must make opposed Dex checks. If you are successful, you automatically pin the opponent for 1 round. To pin the opponent the opponent for further rounds, you and the opponent must make further grapple checks, however the opponent may only use half their strength modifier against you for this purpose, while you may use 1.5 times your strength modifier against them. Finally, you may make unarmed strikes as attacks against the opponent while they are pinned in this way, without provoking an attack of opportunity from the opponent.
Note however that other enemies targeting you do not roll percentage to determine if they hit your opponent you are grappling with instead, as you are clearly visible and immobile to them.

Body Club - With alarming strength, you heft the opponent into the air...

Requires: Stage 3 of the grapple listing.

Mechanic: On a successful grapple opposed by the opponent's grapple check, you and the opponent make opposed attack rolls. If the opponent's attack roll is greater than yours, they are allowed a free attack against you (does not count against their allowed attacks of opportunity in the round). If you succeed, you can lift the opponent, assuming their total weight does not encumber you higher than a medium load.

You can now use the opponent as an improvised weapon, factoring in their size category as size of the weapon, which is one category higher than their actual size (ie. a medium creature counts as a large two handed weapon or huge one handed weapon) - damage dealt with the weapon requires a reflex or fortitude save from the opponent (whatever is highest) to halve damage dealt to them.

Because you are still considered grappling with the opponent, the opponent can still make opposed grapple checks to escape, however their limbs are mostly free - thus, they double their BAB to escape checks and you halve your strength for the purpose of grapple checks to oppose their escape attempts. The opponent can perform other actions, but they take a -8 hazardous penalty on all skill checks, attack rolls and a -4 on attack rolls against you, etc.

As a full action (requiring at least two hands), you can hurdle the opponent a number of spaces equal to a strength check you roll. The opponent counts as a thrown improvised weapon with range 10ft. (assuming you are medium sized). Throwing the opponent in a regular attack roll uses only half your strength check for determining the number of spaces they fly.

If full action is utilized, damage dealt to opponent and other targets is your strength modifier multiplied by two. In either case, opponent must make a balance check equal to 1/2 damage suffered plus spaces they've have flown or fall prone.

Critical
2010-07-13, 06:36 PM
the rules we have to work with basically devolve in to 'okay I grab him' -opposed roll- 'okay I throw him'

I want MORE!!!

I want to be able to play a character who really does fight almost exclusivly through throwing, somethin that gives me the freedom to say something like

"I grab him by the lapels of his jacket, and chuck him over my shoulder"
Forgive me, but... Isn't it the same but worded differentely? :smallconfused:

Fax Celestis
2010-07-13, 06:39 PM
Obligatory Unarmed Swordsage focusing on Setting Sun manevuers mention...

Doesn't even have to be the Unarmed Swordsage variant. Just take IUS and maybe SUS and call it a day.

Alternatively, I've got a strange abstraction that I'm loving so far.

It's a Wilderness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogueVariantWilderness Rogue) Feat Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) with the Dungeoncrasher fighter substitution from Dungeonscape (acquired via Feat Rogue). Here's the character (http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=4521).

My feats give me AoOs equal to my Dex mod +1, let me replace an AoO with a 5' step, make any opponent I deal damage to take a 10' penalty to speeds until my next turn, allow me to not provoke from movement if I start within a threatened square, charge over difficult terrain and turn once, and augment my charging bonuses if I make a jump check while charging. Plus your typical power attack/shock trooper/improved bull rush stuff.

And this is all before the level of swordsage I just took.

gallagher
2010-07-13, 06:49 PM
you can ask your DM if you can play a warblade and retrain one of the disciplines (i suggest stone dragon) for setting sun

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 07:29 PM
So no one cares about my combat maneuvers I guess?

I was planning on designing tactical feat trees for each combat style for a street fighter d20 game. But I guess no one cares about that, now do they?

big teej
2010-07-13, 07:46 PM
Forgive me, but... Isn't it the same but worded differentely? :smallconfused:

That was my fault for being unclear.

I meant I would like the 'description' or 'type' of throw to actually matter as opposed to -i do this- roll- = damage

my example was poor... my apologies...:smallfrown:

I suppose a better example would be the example I gave my DM for a battle that we know is coming up next session...

I direct you to tekken and lei wu-long's squre+x throw

he grabs his opponent by the shoulder, jumps up, and kicks them in the chest, flinging them back several feet, with him ending the move in a flying backflip

So no one cares about my combat maneuvers I guess?

I was planning on designing tactical feat trees for each combat style for a street fighter d20 game. But I guess no one cares about that, now do they?

I'm interested! -raises hand- and I would more than likely start bugging the heck out of my DM with such a list.

on a related note to the numerous people who have suggested....... things I've never heard of

here is my monk's character sheet, and (I'm sure I'll catch flak for this) aside from the one level of fighter I have, I plan to go straight monk, so perhaps aside from something found in the tome of battle, I guess I'm looking for a workable houserule fix or something....

Character name: William Player name: Tyler Jones
Class and level: fighter1/monk4 Race: human
Alignment: Lawful good Deity: Tymora

Size: medium Age: 27 Gender: male Height: 6 Weight: 255 lbs
Eyes: black Hair: black Skin: white
Theme song:

Hit points: 55 - 9 = 46
AC: 17
BAB: +5
Strength: 18 [+4]
Dexterity: 18 [+4]
Constitution: 18 [+4]
Intelligence: 13 [+1]
Wisdom: 15 [+3]
Charisma: 13 [+1]

Saving throws
Will: +7
Fortitude: +10
Reflex: +8

Speed: 40 feet

Backstory feats/Special bonuses:

Feats taken
Combat Expertise
Improved Disarm
Improved Feint
Improved Trip
Improroved grapple
Stunning fist
Flurry of Blows (+1/+1)
Evasion
Still Mind
Ki Strike (magic)
Slow fall (20 feet)

Skills
4 ranks in intimidate
4 ranks in climb
4 ranks in jump
4 ranks in spot
4 ranks in sense motive
4 ranks in escape artist
4 ranks in listen
4 ranks in move silently

Weapons in use
My Fist! = d8

Equipment/gear:

Items and possessions –temporarily missing
Ring of sustenance
Ring of jumping + 5 - still have
Handy Haversack – recovered
Elixir of Fire Breath – recovered
Elixir of hiding - recovered
Elixir of sneaking - recovered
Elixir of swimming - recovered

Lore

Languages: common, Ignan

XP: 10,000 of 15,000

Money: 150 – missing

Heroic achievements:

To do list
Kill loki – get ring back
Kill wolf – get ring back
Free Odin

Notes

Plot notes

Shopping list
Boots of Striding and Springing

in a similar vein, the resources I have to work with are as follows
3.5 DMG
4E monster manual (mistakenly purchased :smallfrown:)
the dnd wiki/SRD
the hypertext SRD
the playground
my imagination

note: I plan on directing the DM of this monk here to see what he thinks

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 07:51 PM
4E monster manual (mistakenly purchased )

You have two choices.

1. Sell

2. Burn

3. Play a revised monk from this board. There's already plenty. One of them uses sublime disciplines from ToB. There's even a variant for every martial class that involves sublime disciplines (I think the best one made the paladin have sword sage disciplines with the addition of devoted spirit to make it different from the crusader; an interesting idea, having a divine agile bringer of justice).

he grabs his opponent by the shoulder, jumps up, and kicks them in the chest, flinging them back several feet, with him ending the move in a flying backflip

Okay, wow.

Shoulder Grab Flying Burst Chest Kick (HIYAH!)

Requires: Stage 2 of grapple listing.

Mechanic: After a successful touch attack, make a tumble check opposed by the opponent's AC - their Dex modifier. If successful, you may make a free bull rush and unarmed strike against the opponent without provoking attacks of opportunity for either maneuver. You do not need to move with the opponent to push them farther then five feet. Depending on how far you push them, you may move up to half that value in the opposite direction, landing wheresoever you choose and ignoring terrain and obstacles (except boundaries such as walls and tall obstacles that elevate above 1 space). The opponent must make a balance check of DC equal to your bull rush check or fall prone.

NOTE: You can ignore elevated boundaries with a jump check as a free action. The check determines how high you manage to elevate vertically before landing. You are considered to have made a running jump for this purpose. Failure to ignore an elevated boundary you pass through means that you fall prone adjacent to the boundary.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-13, 07:59 PM
They have a feat in Crystal keep.
Martial Throw- If you hit an opponent up to your size with an unarmed strike, you can initiate a Dexterity-based Grapple check that doesn't draw attacks of opportunity. If you win, you and your opponent swap positions.

Something like that, worth looking up.

Mr.Moron
2010-07-13, 08:08 PM
on a related note to the numerous people who have suggested....... things I've never heard of

They're talking about the book Tome of Battle, which is really tops for Melee . Thanks to the multi classing rules, it even works well with existing characters.

One of the fighting schools available in the book "Setting Sun" actually focuses on throws and other techniques that play with positioning of you and your opponent.

While it's not enough to play with, you can find a list of the maneuvers from the school here:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/tob5a.zip

I'd honestly suggest looking into acquiring that book if melee characters (and especially monk-like ones) are your thing.

If you wanted to use the above maneuvers without actually getting the book, you could look to trade one feat for one maneuver with a level equal to roughly one third your level.

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 08:08 PM
Martial Throw- If you hit an opponent up to your size with an unarmed strike, you can initiate a Dexterity-based Grapple check that doesn't draw attacks of opportunity. If you win, you and your opponent swap positions.

More like an improved grab than a grapple though.

If you wanted to use the above maneuvers without actually getting the book, you could look to trade one feat for one maneuver with a level equal to roughly one third your level.

There's a feat in the book that already allows you to take up a maneuver and learn from a discipline that you otherwise wouldn't know (I think).

Lhurgyof
2010-07-13, 08:10 PM
More like an improved grab than a grapple though.
Indeed, but it does have a judo feel to it. Pick up someone, throw them behind you.
I'm just trying to give him more options, something he can get in addition to the stuff you guys said. :P

Fax Celestis
2010-07-13, 08:10 PM
You could try my monk. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98238)

Mr.Moron
2010-07-13, 08:11 PM
There's a feat in the book that already allows you to take up a maneuver and learn from a discipline that you otherwise wouldn't know (I think).

There is, but the rules wouldn't allow the posting of that feat since it's content from a book they'd otherwise have to buy. What I suggested was just a easy to use guideline for somebody not interested in buying the book at all.

DragoonWraith
2010-07-13, 08:24 PM
There is, but the rules wouldn't allow the posting of that feat since it's content from a book they'd otherwise have to buy. What I suggested was just a easy to use guideline for somebody not interested in buying the book at all.
To be honest, this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=3) covers most of it for anyone who understands how Initiator Level works. Martial Study is the feat in question.

big teej
2010-07-13, 09:26 PM
Imp

You have two choices.

1. Sell

2. Burn

3. Play a revised monk from this board. There's already plenty. One of them uses sublime disciplines from ToB. There's even a variant for every martial class that involves sublime disciplines (I think the best one made the paladin have sword sage disciplines with the addition of devoted spirit to make it different from the crusader; an interesting idea, having a divine agile bringer of justice).

Okay, wow.

Shoulder Grab Flying Burst Chest Kick (HIYAH!)

Requires: Stage 2 of grapple listing.

Mechanic: After a successful touch attack, make a tumble check opposed by the opponent's AC - their Dex modifier. If successful, you may make a free bull rush and unarmed strike against the opponent without provoking attacks of opportunity for either maneuver. You do not need to move with the opponent to push them farther then five feet. Depending on how far you push them, you may move up to half that value in the opposite direction, landing wheresoever you choose and ignoring terrain and obstacles (except boundaries such as walls and tall obstacles that elevate above 1 space). The opponent must make a balance check of DC equal to your bull rush check or fall prone.

NOTE: You can ignore elevated boundaries with a jump check as a free action. The check determines how high you manage to elevate vertically before landing. You are considered to have made a running jump for this purpose. Failure to ignore an elevated boundary you pass through means that you fall prone adjacent to the boundary.

my options, I am aware, I intend to trade it for a 3.5 as soon as possible (I'm calling the book lady every week to ask if she has new books in)

I love your little.... "insta-homebrew" stuff
I am so running all of it by the DM to see if he's okay with it.

Mr. Moron

They're talking about the book Tome of Battle, which is really tops for Melee . Thanks to the multi classing rules, it even works well with existing characters.

One of the fighting schools available in the book "Setting Sun" actually focuses on throws and other techniques that play with positioning of you and your opponent.

While it's not enough to play with, you can find a list of the maneuvers from the school here:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/tob5a.zip

I'd honestly suggest looking into acquiring that book if melee characters (and especially monk-like ones) are your thing.

I intend to acquire every sourcebook for 3.5 I can get my hands on actually so I'm way ahead of you there :smallwink:

and I will most certainly look into that, but I'm trying to stay away from sourcebooks this time around, because I don't know how the DM feels about players pulling from the ENTIRE PUBLISHED library of WOTC

Indeed, but it does have a judo feel to it. Pick up someone, throw them behind you.
I'm just trying to give him more options, something he can get in addition to the stuff you guys said. :P

Options are good, I like options, they are ALWAYS appreciated.... well okay, almost always, whenever people say "or you could do this" when I've clearly stated what I'm after... that usually just irritates me

*the spoiler is directed at a player in my group, not at any of you.

but anyways, options are always good,

Mr. moron again

but I AM interested in buying the books..... all of them >=] -maniacle laughter

Fax Celestis

You could try my monk. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98238)

that is very intriguing.... and I may pester my dms to see if I can run that at some point. (and I also saw mention of a paladin you did which I am now curious about)

however, this doesn't help me at this time for ) reasons.
1) the monk given (during my quick browse) is still very strike oriented. I wish to throw people around like ragdolls, with vehemence.... I don't see myself making actual strikes that often.
2) I have already created this character and I'm very..... "set" on the mentality of "okay, I've created this character, I'm stuck with him pending major things I discover" (such as not 'technically' being able to take a "demon" bane weapon).... I'm not interested and have no desire to completely redesign my monk.

however, as I stated before, I will probably(read: definitely) bug my DM's about letting me run that in the future. when I'm not after a judo throw-oriented monk

I think...... I got them all.

Fax Celestis
2010-07-13, 09:28 PM
(and I also saw mention of a paladin you did which I am now curious about)

Check here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33551)

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 09:51 PM
I am so running all of it by the DM to see if he's okay with it.

If you do, I suggest asking the DM to help you merge them into tactical feats. Each feat would open up a few of those combat options. So maybe 6 options for two feats (with one feat as the prerequisite for the second feat containing the more powerful options), I'd suggest.

big teej
2010-07-13, 09:55 PM
If you do, I suggest asking the DM to help you merge them into tactical feats. Each feat would open up a few of those combat options. So maybe 6 options for two feats (with one feat as the prerequisite for the second feat containing the more powerful options), I'd suggest.

what do you mean?

(if I'd have to be a complete idiot to miss what you meant... I'm sorry, it's late, I'll kick myself tomorrow :smallwink:)

Check here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33551)

awesomesauce....
Again, something I'm probably going to take to one of my DM's and go 'HEY CAN I PLAY THIS?! HUH? CAN I? CAN I? HUH HUH?

DragoonWraith
2010-07-13, 10:26 PM
what do you mean?

(if I'd have to be a complete idiot to miss what you meant... I'm sorry, it's late, I'll kick myself tomorrow :smallwink:)
Feats with the [Tactical] descriptor were introduced... I dunno, at some point. Point is, each feat gave three "tactical" options that were supposed to make for a little more interesting play and give you abilities you didn't have before. Like for a Ninja-y character, there's one that lets you treat people who miss you as flat-footed (they have ways of gaining miss chances and sneak attack), along with a couple of other similar things.

Typically, they involve some kind of condition being met (like being missed, up above), a skill check (generally trivial), and then gaining some bonus. Usually there are three different conditions that allow you to do different things on different checks.

For the most part, like many other things in 3.5, they're a good idea poorly implemented. In particular, the conditions on most of them make them worthless, because they just don't come up all that often (like above - that class can get a 20% miss chance, but only by using the move that gives it to them instead of other moves, and even then they only have a 20% chance of being missed - not really a great use of a feat). But that doesn't mean they have to be poorly done; these kinds of things that Imp suggests are a pretty good idea for Tactical feats.

All that said, an Unarmed Swordsage from Tome of Battle focusing on the Setting Sun discipline is a much better answer, I'm afraid. Sorry Imp.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-13, 10:31 PM
http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Feats.pdf

There, they have all the 3.5 feats...
I suggest: Fear No Binds, Martial Throw, Scorpion's Grasp, and Stone Monkey (Most are under unarmed strike feats/stunning fist feats)

Lhurgyof
2010-07-13, 10:39 PM
Character name: William Player name: Tyler Jones
Class and level: fighter1/monk4 Race: human
Alignment: Lawful good Deity: Tymora

Size: medium Age: 27 Gender: male Height: 6 Weight: 255 lbs
Eyes: black Hair: black Skin: white
Theme song:

Hit points: 55 - 9 = 46
AC: 17
BAB: +5
Strength: 18 [+4]
Dexterity: 18 [+4]
Constitution: 18 [+4]
Wisdom: 15 [+3]
Charisma: 13 [+1]

Saving throws
Will: +7
Fortitude: +10
Reflex: +8

Speed: 40 feet

Backstory feats/Special bonuses:

Feats taken
Combat Expertise
Improved Disarm
Improved Feint
Improved Trip
Improroved grapple
Stunning fist
Flurry of Blows (+1/+1)
Evasion
Still Mind
Ki Strike (magic)
Slow fall (20 feet)

Skills
4 ranks in intimidate
4 ranks in climb
4 ranks in jump
4 ranks in spot
4 ranks in sense motive
4 ranks in escape artist
4 ranks in listen
4 ranks in move silently

Weapons in use
My Fist! = d8

Equipment/gear:

Items and possessions –temporarily missing
Ring of sustenance
Ring of jumping + 5 - still have
Handy Haversack – recovered
Elixir of Fire Breath – recovered
Elixir of hiding - recovered
Elixir of sneaking - recovered
Elixir of swimming - recovered

Lore

Languages: common, Ignan

XP: 10,000 of 15,000

Money: 150 – missing

Heroic achievements:

To do list
Kill loki – get ring back
Kill wolf – get ring back
Free Odin

Notes

Plot notes

Shopping list
Boots of Striding and Springing
Ah, sweet. Why the penalty to HP with the high con?
And I hope you do find a suiting theme song soon. May I suggest the Mortal Kombat theme? xD

Keld Denar
2010-07-13, 10:40 PM
Technically, if you could become size Huge or larger (PsyWar with Expansion would work, and combined well with Monk and the Tashalatora feat), you could take Snatch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#snatch), from the Monstrous Manual. It has a mechanic for throwing people. Its mostly intended for dragons and other large flying creatures, but it works out well for a really big grappling character as well.

Also, you aren't taking things from EVERY suppliment, just Tome of Battle. :smallcool:

SethFahad
2010-07-14, 12:50 AM
FEATS:
Martial Throw
Defensive Throw (OA 3.0)
Great Throw (OA 3.0)
powerfull build + Fling Enemy (SS 3.0) (but use the requirements of the 3.5 version - house-rule it )
Throw Anything

big teej
2010-07-14, 01:01 AM
Feats with the [Tactical] descriptor were introduced... I dunno, at some point. Point is, each feat gave three "tactical" options that were supposed to make for a little more interesting play and give you abilities you didn't have before. Like for a Ninja-y character, there's one that lets you treat people who miss you as flat-footed (they have ways of gaining miss chances and sneak attack), along with a couple of other similar things.

Typically, they involve some kind of condition being met (like being missed, up above), a skill check (generally trivial), and then gaining some bonus. Usually there are three different conditions that allow you to do different things on different checks.

For the most part, like many other things in 3.5, they're a good idea poorly implemented. In particular, the conditions on most of them make them worthless, because they just don't come up all that often (like above - that class can get a 20% miss chance, but only by using the move that gives it to them instead of other moves, and even then they only have a 20% chance of being missed - not really a great use of a feat). But that doesn't mean they have to be poorly done; these kinds of things that Imp suggests are a pretty good idea for Tactical feats.

All that said, an Unarmed Swordsage from Tome of Battle focusing on the Setting Sun discipline is a much better answer, I'm afraid. Sorry Imp.

gotcha, must be in a supplement I don't have access too.... I'll look into that

Ah, sweet. Why the penalty to HP with the high con?
And I hope you do find a suiting theme song soon. May I suggest the Mortal Kombat theme? xD

Provided you're talking about what I think you are (the minus 9)

thats not a penalty, that's damage I took from the chap who's warhammer I threw off a mountian.
now granted, Being the helpful guy that I am, I helped him go get it back >=D

and if anyone is curious why I have such obscenely high stats we rolled high power + a..... d4? point buy

I just finished reading "finder's bane" and it's 2 AM.... I am going to go to sleep now... if anything spectacularly unintelligent was posted here by me, please ignore it for now... I'll fix it

Math_Mage
2010-07-14, 01:10 AM
Class and level: fighter1/monk4
[...]
[...]
Skills
4 ranks in intimidate
4 ranks in climb
4 ranks in jump
4 ranks in spot
4 ranks in sense motive
4 ranks in escape artist
4 ranks in listen
4 ranks in move silently

All talk of judo grappling aside, you should probably do something about this skill list. As is, you're going to be 'meh' at sneaking, 'meh' at perceiving, 'meh' at getting around, and really 'meh' at intimidating. Focus more on some skills like Spot, dump others more (Escape Artist). Move Silently without Hide is...strange. And UMD Balance is probably a better secondary skill than Climb or Jump, since without 5 ranks in that you're flat-footed whenever you have to make a Balance check, which sucks.

Side note: if you take the Monk level first, you get an extra 6 skill points (though only 6 hp instead of 10 at 1st level). A matter of preference.

big teej
2010-07-14, 09:32 AM
All talk of judo grappling aside, you should probably do something about this skill list. As is, you're going to be 'meh' at sneaking, 'meh' at perceiving, 'meh' at getting around, and really 'meh' at intimidating. Focus more on some skills like Spot, dump others more (Escape Artist). Move Silently without Hide is...strange. And UMD Balance is probably a better secondary skill than Climb or Jump, since without 5 ranks in that you're flat-footed whenever you have to make a Balance check, which sucks.

Side note: if you take the Monk level first, you get an extra 6 skill points (though only 6 hp instead of 10 at 1st level). A matter of preference.

I was asked to take my skills from the class lists, monks don't get hide...
after that, I just picked what I wanted. my group has yet to need a single balance check soooo.... yea...and for me, I'm already putting jump to use for chasing people carrying damsels in distress :smallwink:

Lhurgyof
2010-07-14, 01:54 PM
FEATS:
Martial Throw
Defensive Throw (OA 3.0)
Great Throw (OA 3.0)
powerfull build + Fling Enemy (SS 3.0) (but use the requirements of the 3.5 version - house-rule it )
Throw Anything

It never actually gives a description for Great Throw in the book, unfortunately. :(

Alejandro
2010-07-14, 03:23 PM
I would just get the GM to let you combine Improved Grapple with Throw Anything. :) Just about anything is possible with player/GM cooperation. Just expect the GM to have NPCs that can do the same thing.

Hague
2010-07-14, 03:44 PM
Tactical Feats were introduced in Complete Warrior I believe. There are also a few in Heroes of Battle, PHB II, and elsewhere.

If you want to throw someone a large distance pick up Hulking Hurler (if your DM doesn't ban it first :P) Touch, grapple and pin your foe and then throw them up to 100 ft.Hulking hurler gives you "Really Throw Anything" as a class feature. You must be able to lift them as a light load to throw them and you have to be large size or larger to acquire the class. Really it's not judo, though.

Otherwise you gotta get Tome of Battle and the Setting Sun school. Lots of neat maneuvers for throwing doodz in there.

imp_fireball
2010-07-14, 04:25 PM

Well of course. It's just that if the OP wants to remain a monk, then he can take these tactical feats I suggested instead.

big teej
2010-07-14, 08:41 PM
I would just get the GM to let you combine Improved Grapple with Throw Anything. :) Just about anything is possible with player/GM cooperation. Just expect the GM to have NPCs that can do the same thing.

Thats fine, though I don't see him doing that, we've been transported to norsca/the americas (vikings vs aztecs)

but I'm okay with NPCs being allowed to do it.... after all, that means I CAN :smallbiggrin:

Tactical Feats were introduced in Complete Warrior I believe. There are also a few in Heroes of Battle, PHB II, and elsewhere.

If you want to throw someone a large distance pick up Hulking Hurler (if your DM doesn't ban it first :P) Touch, grapple and pin your foe and then throw them up to 100 ft.Hulking hurler gives you "Really Throw Anything" as a class feature. You must be able to lift them as a light load to throw them and you have to be large size or larger to acquire the class. Really it's not judo, though.

Otherwise you gotta get Tome of Battle and the Setting Sun school. Lots of neat maneuvers for throwing doodz in there.

I liiiiike..... unfortunately that will probably have to wait for my next 'large' character.

Well of course. It's just that if the OP wants to remain a monk, then he can take these tactical feats I suggested instead.

And I do, and I greatly appreciate your contributions, I'm showing my DM this whole thread next time I see him

Lhurgyof
2010-07-14, 08:55 PM
Oh, and a couple more feats that would help:
Eath's Embrace (Complete Warrior) - Deal an extra d12 damage when pinning a foe.
Choke Hold (Oriental Adventures) - If you maintain a pin for 1 round, the foe gets a fort save or goes unconscious.

They're both probably on Crystal keep.

big teej
2010-07-14, 09:05 PM
every sourcebook based suggestion in thread

I need more sourcebooks.....

Hague
2010-07-14, 09:30 PM
Yeah... good luck. Been pricing them. Complete Scoundrel's up to 'bout 30 bucks.

Optimystik
2010-07-14, 09:37 PM
I was asked to take my skills from the class lists, monks don't get hide...

Sure they do, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm) and Move Silently too.

big teej
2010-07-14, 11:13 PM
Sure they do, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm) and Move Silently too.

Okay FINE!! I'M BLIND XD
or I may not have wanted it for some reason (don't ask me why, if there was one I don't remember)

but I'm stuck with it because one of my biggest pet peeves (not inside gaming, its on my list of everything that bugs me)

is people -not naming any names- who roll up a character and not even a whole session goes by before -no name- starts saying "ya know, I really like my guy, but I want to change x"
/vent.

I may just need to start making ranting threads so I can actually vent steam instead of bottling it :smallfrown:

But thankyou for pointing out that they do in fact get hide, hopefully if I had a reason for not taking it I'll remember it by next session, otherwise, I'll take it in 5,000 xp

Yeah... good luck. Been pricing them. Complete Scoundrel's up to 'bout 30 bucks.

thanks. I'll need it.... I recall reading somewhere that a guy had purchased EVERY book.... it was worth more than his car

but that's okay, I'm willing to sink that kinda money into the hobby, because I love the game.... and I love books

Hague
2010-07-15, 12:08 AM
All things considered, a car can be pretty cheap. Now a decent projector set-up... that's expensive!

big teej
2010-07-15, 12:40 AM
All things considered, a car can be pretty cheap. Now a decent projector set-up... that's expensive!

college student...

SethFahad
2010-07-15, 04:40 AM
It never actually gives a description for Great Throw in the book, unfortunately. :(
Here it is: :smallcool:

GREAT THROW [GENERAL]
You can throw your opponents to the ground, choosing where they land and dealing damage in the process.
Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Dexterity 13+, Dodge, Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes.
Benefit: When you make a successful unarmed trip attack against a creature no larger than your own size, you can choose where the creature lands, within the area you threaten.
In addition, you deal your normal unarmed strike damage to the opponent.
The creature’s movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity, no matter how far you move it.
When you use this option, however, you cannot make a follow-up melee attack using the Improved Trip feat.

big teej
2010-07-15, 08:34 AM

hello next feat...

I LIKE IT :smallbiggrin:

Lhurgyof
2010-07-15, 11:16 AM

What? D:
Did I get shafted on my copy of Oriental Adventures? Because it's not in there!? D:
It's on the table, but not in the book. Dx

EDIT: Oh, and teej, Tumble would be a fine skill to put ranks into. Especially when you get it really high, you can do some crazy-ass neo stuff with it. xD

DragoonWraith
2010-07-15, 11:45 AM
What? D:
Did I get shafted on my copy of Oriental Adventures? Because it's not in there!? D:
It's on the table, but not in the book. Dx
Well, yes and no - yes, you have a deficient copy, but they're all deficient - WotC forgot to put it in the book. However, unlike many, many other books with similar problems, WotC made Errata (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/OAWeberrata_02062006.zip) for it.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-15, 11:55 AM
Well, yes and no - yes, you have a deficient copy, but they're all deficient - WotC forgot to put it in the book. However, unlike many, many other books with similar problems, WotC made Errata (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/OAWeberrata_02062006.zip) for it.

Really? Aww, sweet!
I've always been curious of that feat.