PDA

View Full Version : Window help (not computer related)

SpiderMew
2010-07-13, 06:14 PM
Our condo unit is like 23 years old. There is a film that was placed over the windows for some sort of protection. Part of this came off on one of the windows, and we noticed with it off it was allot clearer.
Im not sure what its called or what to search for and we want to get this crud removed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dallas-Dakota
2010-07-13, 06:19 PM
For clearer views throughout window opening, I recommend hammers, big heavy objects and battering rams.

Also, google is your friend.

Tirian
2010-07-13, 07:28 PM
I'd ask some professional glass people in your area. They probably have the exact solvent that would make the process take five minutes instead of five weekends. It's possible that a big hammer actually is the right tool for the job, but in that case they'd be there to sell you the replacement glass.

Syka
2010-07-13, 07:43 PM
I know my ex's family used to put a film over their windows in the winter that helped insulate the house during either temperture extreme. It was just worst in the winter for them, so they took it down in the summer so they could open windows and all.

I dunno if it's the same stuff, but depending on your temperature environment, it might be handy for keeping electric bills down. I'd call a home improvement place, though, to maybe get more info.

Jack Squat
2010-07-13, 09:40 PM
I worked in the glass industry for a little over a year, and while we focused mainly on mirrors and interior glass, it's more or less the same.

It's probably an anti-UV film that has a slight tint to it.

The way to get it off is to use a razor blade or window scraper. Afterwords, hit the window up with some OOPS/other adhesive removal (works best if you remove the window from the frame and let it soak some, not always possible), scrape again, and use a glass cleaner to finish up. Windex-or any similar cleaner- will do the job, but I've found that Hi Sheen works a lot better at getting stuff up off of glass.

SpiderMew
2010-07-14, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the help, im going to try that out Jack.

Kneenibble
2010-07-14, 09:46 PM
This is great. I've noticed that it's been a lot easier to watch you through the parts where the stuff came off.

Rawhide
2010-07-15, 03:32 AM
You wouldn't have this problem if you installed Linux to run your house.

Xyk
2010-07-15, 03:48 AM
You'll want to be sure removing those is not against a law where you live as it is here. We have screens instead that have screws and not adhesive but the principle is the same. Granted, the inspectors tell us before they show up (which is only once every few years), and the screens to the main large windows are in the garage.:smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-15, 03:50 AM
It's illegal to remove your own window screens in Texas? :smallconfused:

And they check?

IonDragon
2010-07-15, 04:10 AM

At least he didn't install OS X, then he'd never be able to get it off!

Quincunx
2010-07-15, 04:27 AM

And they check?

Federal building codes, multi-story housing, suitability for housing subsidy, extra inspector on payroll, etc. etc.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-15, 04:30 AM
It can't be a federal thing. There's not a house on my street that has window screens.

Serpentine
2010-07-15, 04:33 AM
At least he didn't install OS X, then he'd never be able to get it off!
BOOM BOOM
http://www.anorak.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/basil_brush.jpg

Unless you own the place, I'd check with your landlord/real estate agent first.

SpiderMew
2010-07-15, 08:51 AM
This is great. I've noticed that it's been a lot easier to watch you through the parts where the stuff came off.

I that so, what am i wearing now :smallamused: :smallwink:

LMAO.
Well the building is old. I beleve it would have been Windows 2.0 actualy.

Xyk
2010-07-15, 09:13 AM

And they check?

Just Austin as a part of an energy saving green movement.