PDA

View Full Version : Warglory, Marines - a WW2 fantasy

Shirocco
2010-07-13, 07:32 PM
Why i'm posting this here

Because i want to see folks playing it! Lotsa work went into writing Warglory, i'd like it to spread. The main article is in Myth because of encoding differences with Giant, have a read and post there or here - i'm easy either way.

The thread is for those interested in running (or playing) a game like this. I'm the author, and if in reading the thread anyone's curiosity is piqued & interest stirred to run a game feel free; i've been running these for quite some time and hope to see it spread around.

The core concepts can be readily applied to other settings & wars in different eras; i have, many times. These rules and their earlier versions have done blackpowder, science fiction, trench warfare and the maneuver warfare that immidiately followed.

For questions or advise just ask.

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo81/Shirocco2/dday-001.jpg

Forward

Warglory is a game of soldiers, of fighting, of choosing either to follow the rules & survive or break them and earn a name, a reputation with life longer than yours.
Marines is set in Warglory’s fantasy universe, told not from the eyes of man but from those of the things he once believed in. It borrows heavily from old Norse, Slavic & German myth. Dvergr – the black elgi – are a formidable race often pitted against the wilder powers of man, fae, troll and monsters far across the many worlds of Yggdrasil linked by the spirit conduits of the World Roots. In this game it is the setting’s second Great War, fought with gun and bomb and bayonet, with armoured column and infantry, with air support and artillery. Strange magics bloody the mudfoot’s fight as players seek glory in the most terrible war yet between man & monster of a universe thick with peril.

This is an established game. I’ve been running it for over 3 years now; it has grown considerably from its bone-simple beginnings. There have never been hit points, nobody shrugs off bullet wounds and melee is as much about good writing as it is roll of the dice. Tactics revolve around fire and manoeuvre, with magic offering situational utility for those who pursue the sorcerous paths & ken the wielding of them.

Rules are simple and low on bookwork, designed always for forum play. Every shot can kill, every melee roll could incapacitate one or both combatants. Combat can be brutal and unforgiving; GMs are best to interpret events in a player’s favour when no mistake is made, but fools live fast and die young.

"Follow the rules to stay alive; to make a reputation, break them!" - The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell

Shirocco
2010-07-13, 07:35 PM
Main article (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?p=3355859#post3355859) showing Rules of 13th July, 2010

in-use version (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13422) Here.

Post any questions, thoughts & interest as suits you. Like i say in the spoiler at the start, my intention is that others give this game a go - i've spent a great deal of time writing this as the game rolls along, enjoyed it immensely at that, and would rather it spread than just stay with my players & myself.

Use and magpie what you will with due credit back to myself. I'll be happy to help you make a game of it!

imp_fireball
2010-07-13, 10:11 PM
This is pretty cool.

Mind if I set to work translating some of it to 3.5? Note that I'm already working on applying science fiction to the system.
-----

Also, your universe could easily encourage diesel punk since that fits the tech level (post second industrial revolution) - not a theme that's usually touched upon. Trucker adventurers?

"Big bear, this is pig pen, I've spotted them there dragon son of a gun."
"This is big bear, I read you pig pen. Initiate TRANSFORMATION."
*transforms into diesel powered mech with BFG*
*on megaphone* "Convoy!"

Shirocco
2010-07-13, 10:49 PM
Cheers :smallwink:

Wasn't intended for it but go ahead on 3.5-ing it.

I have a running science fiction edition which i'll post in another thread soonish, hectic game for the GM (can have a lot going on at once). You may find ideas in that useful in creating your own scifi with this stuff.

Edit - missed this bit

Also, your universe could easily encourage diesel punk since that fits the tech level (post second industrial revolution) - not a theme that's usually touched upon. Trucker adventurers?

lol

I have contemplated doing a bikeys game with this stuff. It would certainly support it, whether you stayed fantasy or went real world. Anyone interested is certainly welcome to take a crack at it.

Shirocco
2010-07-28, 04:18 AM
Science Fiction Warglory has been posted.

Rules are very similar between the two, with key differences (and the addition of a great deal more equipment) between the two. The settings are unrelated.

Gameplay? Well now. Same in principle, but Walkers is a bit like Marines on steroids instead of the magic mushrooms. There is a lot more to keep track of in Walkers.