PDA

View Full Version : Cleric domains and alignment?

Lyra Reynolds
2010-07-13, 08:00 PM
Question! My Cleric and I (the DM) are confused about something.

She's playing a Cleric of St Cuthbert; the alignment is Lawful Neutral. She picked the Protection and Destruction domains for her spells. Does her alignment affect the spells she can cast? Because several of the spells from the Destruction domain are Necromancer spells. One of our friends said she couldn't cast Chaotic spells (so one of them, Shatter, was out) but we're unclear as to whether she can cast necromancer spells. I think we're just confused. :p
*I* think she can cast Inflict Minor Wounds etc because there's nowhere in the description that it's an evil spell or anything so it wouldn't affect her alignment (if that matters anyway). Besides, St Cuthbert is associated with the Destruction domain and I can't imagine him being against spells he's associated with. My Cleric hesitates.

So who's right? :) Can my Cleric cast spells from the Destruction domain?

The-Mage-King
2010-07-13, 08:04 PM
It depends on the setting- in most, Clerics cannot cast any spell diametrically opposed to thier alignment.

However, Shatter is not a [Chaos] Spell, so you can cast it- it may be on the Chaos Domain list, but it isn't a [Chaos] spell.

Hope that helped.

EDIT: As for the ILW thing... I'm pretty sure you can cast them. Seeing as they don't have the [Evil] descriptor... Any cleric can cast them, much like any cleric can cast CLW

Felyndiira
2010-07-13, 08:06 PM
Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells

A cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.
This implies that the cleric cannot cast chaos or evil spells at all.

Shatter is, however, Evocation [Sonic] and not chaotic, so she can still cast shatter if she wishes. The inflict spells and harm are necromancy and not Necromancy [Evil], so they can still be cast (they're also on her spell list, so no need to waste a domain slot for it). The only thing that the cleric cannot cast, in fact, is Contagion.

EDIT: Ninja'd =p.

EDIT2: @V: ...fine. I've been shadow handed =x.

The-Mage-King
2010-07-13, 08:13 PM
This implies that the cleric cannot cast chaos or evil spells at all.

Shatter is, however, Evocation [Sonic] and not chaotic, so she can still cast shatter if she wishes. The inflict spells and harm are necromancy and not Necromancy [Evil], so they can still be cast (they're also on her spell list, so no need to waste a domain slot for it). The only thing that the cleric cannot cast, in fact, is Contagion.

EDIT: Ninja'd =p.

The term now is "Swordsage'd", actually.

Lyra Reynolds
2010-07-14, 05:19 AM
Thank you, that clears things up! :D