PDA

View Full Version : Yet another dread necromancer thread

Werdna
2010-07-13, 08:14 PM
ok, hi everyone. im getting ready for a 3.5 game and im playing a dread necromancer. any advice at all would be appreciated, but what im really looking for is equipment. we are starting with the standard 13,000 for 6th level. Thanks for any and all help.

Lord Vampyre
2010-07-13, 08:17 PM
I don't know if you can afford it at 6th level, but I would probably buy a ring of wizardry.

Tyger
2010-07-13, 08:29 PM
Well, you can't afford that ring of wizardry (and don't really need it that much with all your spells per day) at 6th level. :smalltongue:

You might want to check out, if you haven't already The Dread Necromancer's Handbook. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872470/New_Dread_Necromancer_Handbook)

As for gear, what sources are you allowed? What role are you going to be playing? Are you going the Necropolitan route?

Werdna
2010-07-13, 08:30 PM
Shoot... i can't afford a ring of wizardry. if nothing else I'll need a cloak of charisma.

Werdna
2010-07-13, 08:36 PM
All sources are allowed.

I will be playing an undead army leader. (you know as many and as big as i can get them)

and yes ill be going with the netropolitan (need to make sure with my DM if templates are allowed with character creation, im sure he'll say yes) and quite possably spell stitched, but im not married to the spell stitched. (yet)

Tyger
2010-07-13, 09:02 PM
OK, so your real budget is 10K, as Necropolitan is going to cost you 3,000.

A Cloak of Charisma isn't a bad idea, bonus spell and +1 to the DC of your spells is never a bad idea. That's 4K.

A Hat of Disguise, to avoid getting pitchforked by the villagers for being evil undead, not to mention the sheer versatility of it, goes for 1800 GP.

If you are going to be in the front lines (and at 6th level you have DR 2, your fear aura, and the ability to heal yourself at will so you should be), some armor is a good idea. A mithril breastplate +1 would go a long way to helping that role, but its not cheap at 5400 GP. So maybe stick with the chainshirt for now. +1 Chainshirt will set you back 1250.

A weapon wouldn't be a bad idea if you are in the lines.

For tactics, if you are going undead leader, for now you are stuck with the Command Undead spell. You can't quite create your own, but any undead the DM sends at you should be instantly targetted with this spell. And remember that the mindless ones get no save. That's right. Instant slave for 6 days. Remember to recast it again before the spell expires. :)

You might want to save some of your gold to pick up a Rod of Undead Mastery (10,000 GP which will make your DM cry) and a Deadwalker's Ring (4K) but both don't really benefit you until level 8.

Akal Saris
2010-07-13, 09:06 PM
I really like armor with the Fearsome enchantment from Drow of the Underdark. It lets you intimidate as a move action, and then you can cast a fear-inducing spell with your standard action and also use your free action fear aura.

A +1 fearsome mithril breastplate should cost around 11.3k, while a +1 fearsome chain shirt would cost about 6.3k.

Otherwise, you could just grab the usual cloak of charisma, vest of resistance, and maybe a lesser rod of extend spell or something.

Werdna
2010-07-13, 09:11 PM
oh hohohoho... great idieas keep em flowin' this is all great :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

OldTrees
2010-07-13, 09:14 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154158

Here is most of the imformation on building truly staggering armies without resorting to infinite Undead cheese.

Also most of the undead scale with the level of the Highest Animator (The PC) because they are controlled with the command undead spell.