PDA

View Full Version : How to kill a will-o-wisp

Half-orc Bard
2010-07-13, 08:26 PM
My Dm told me that my dnd group will face a will-o-wisp, and he allowed us to look at the stats it has 29 Ac and is immune to magic. My question is how can a group of lvl 6s beat it?

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-07-13, 08:28 PM
...depends on the group. If its immune to stuff...use everything except that and you will kill it.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-13, 08:29 PM
Spells that bypass Spell Resistance.
Buffs.
Aid Another.

tyckspoon
2010-07-13, 08:32 PM
Glitterdust (or similar invisibility-negation) plus Magic Missile spam is the intended method, I think. If you can keep it from going invisible and running away from you you can also just keep swinging at it until you roll enough 20s to hit it.

Prime32
2010-07-13, 08:34 PM
Cast magic missile at the lightness.

NelKor
2010-07-13, 08:36 PM
This begs for Orbs, if its magic immunity is similar to a golems.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-13, 08:54 PM
This begs for Orbs, if its magic immunity is similar to a golems.

Slightly weaker

A will-o’-wisp is immune to most spells or spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance, except magic missile and maze.

Optimystik
2010-07-13, 09:01 PM
As Prime and tyck said Magic Missile is what you want here. Orbs can work, but WoWs have horrendously high touch AC (29!).

Use either Glitterdust or See Invisibility to keep it from escaping, and let loose.

Mr.Moron
2010-07-13, 09:02 PM
You could also just cast Mass Resist Energy[Electricity] and flail your weapons at until it dies or goes away. With only 40hp, it'll run out of hp by getting hit by 20s before you run out of hp vs it's single 2d8-10 damage melee jolt.

Glimbur
2010-07-13, 09:03 PM
Just grapple it with the whole party. Sure, that high touch AC might be scary, and the AoO might hurt a bit, but it doesn't have combat reflexes and even the wizard has decent odds of beating it in a grapple check. Once you have it in a grapple, just overpower it. It can fly, but its only attack is a melee attack so you should be able to reach it since it also lacks Fly-By Attack. Invisibility gets annoying, but you should have Glitterdust ready anyway.

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-13, 09:33 PM
Just grapple it with the whole party. Sure, that high touch AC might be scary, and the AoO might hurt a bit, but it doesn't have combat reflexes and even the wizard has decent odds of beating it in a grapple check. Once you have it in a grapple, just overpower it. It can fly, but its only attack is a melee attack so you should be able to reach it since it also lacks Fly-By Attack. Invisibility gets annoying, but you should have Glitterdust ready anyway.
It can still make escape artist checks.

Darrin
2010-07-13, 09:40 PM
My Dm told me that my dnd group will face a will-o-wisp, and he allowed us to look at the stats it has 29 Ac and is immune to magic. My question is how can a group of lvl 6s beat it?

Torch Bug Paste. Complete Scoundrel p. 120, 25 GP. It has a 5' burst radius, so you just have to hit a square next to the wisp. This automatically covers it with a non-magical faerie fire effect which negates all concealment and pinpoints its location.

From there... I'd probably try alchemical items with splash effects. 40 flasks of acid, for example, might work. 20 flasks of Acidic Fire (Eberron) would be quicker.

Several sprayers (Arms & Equipment Guide p. 25) filled with Alchemist's Fire, Frostfire, or Alchemist's Frost should also work. This creates a 5' x 10' cloud as an area effect, no attack roll and no save for anything in the cloud.

A bag of about a dozen Firestones (Dragon Compendium p. 117) might take it out in one shot (throwing/breaking a Firestone in a square does 1d6 fire damage to everything in that square, no save).

Thurbane
2010-07-13, 09:44 PM
One way I found effective (at least in the ToEE PC game) was to sneak attack them...their flat-footed AC is only 20.

Also, spells with no SR - maybe even combine the two - a Rogue sneak attacking with a Wand of Acid Splash.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-07-13, 10:26 PM
Dragonfire Adepts also work wonders.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-07-13, 11:41 PM
I will also advice Glitterdust to make it visible.

Now one glaring weakness aside from grappling for the wisp is its fortitude save and its low strength. If you poison it, its 1 strength can easily be reduced to 0 by say large scorpion venom.
A true strike can insure the poisoned weapon hits its mark.

Stinking Cloud ignores SR should almost certainly nauseate it for several rounds.

But here's an simple way to eliminate the wisp, after making it visible with glitterdust cast summon swarm[bats] aside from the distraction, the bleeding wound it inflicts insures that the will-o-wisp will die.

Half-orc Bard
2010-07-14, 01:21 AM
If it goes to 0 str does it die?

PId6
2010-07-14, 01:25 AM
No; it just becomes paralyzed and can't move, allowing you to coup-de-grace it.

Tar Palantir
2010-07-14, 01:27 AM

No, but it becomes unable to move and helpless, rendering its death inevitable.

Edit: swordsaged

HunterOfJello
2010-07-14, 01:28 AM

of course not.

"Strength 0 means that a creature can’t move at all. It lies helpless on the ground."

~

The lvl 2 spell Shadow Spray is a great spell to accomplish this with. Will-O-Wisps only have +3 fort and if they fail a fort save against the spell, they lose 4 points of strength, putting them at 0 and helpless.