PDA

View Full Version : On the cloning of devices (Tech help)

bluewind95
2010-07-14, 02:02 AM
Well... I'm on a long trip right now and won't be going back home for a long while. Now... there is something on the Nintendo WiFi Connection I'd really, really want to download... but the place I'm staying in doesn't have a compatible wireless. My laptop can connect just fine, but my DS can't. I've been wireless-hunting around, but ALL wireless hotspots have a welcome screen that does not allow the DS to connect.

I know I could technically connect the DS to the laptop, but this requires either a) sharing the LAN connection via wireless, or b) cloning the wireless card adapter and connecting the DS through the "second" adapter. or c) some other way I have not yet figured out.

Help please?

Edit: Oh, yes. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. Changing OS is not an option (especially not Mac!) and buying hardware is also a no-go, since I DO have appropriate wireless connections at home, and that's where I generally connect to. Trial software is an acceptable course of action, though.

IonDragon
2010-07-14, 02:59 AM
a) sharing the LAN connection via wireless, or b) cloning the wireless card adapter and connecting the DS through the "second" adapter.

I don't think either of those would actually work, unless you've got a hardwire connection and you're going to use your laptop as a repeater to broadcast it to your DS. Besides which, networking with Vista is extremely difficult (aside from the tasks that it's designed to do on it's own).

bluewind95
2010-07-14, 09:00 AM
I don't think either of those would actually work, unless you've got a hardwire connection and you're going to use your laptop as a repeater to broadcast it to your DS. Besides which, networking with Vista is extremely difficult (aside from the tasks that it's designed to do on it's own).

Thing is... it's supposed to be able to. I can create an ad-hoc connection. The slight problem is that it's not sharing the internet as it should, and I don't know what to do. I have access to the LAN network as well as the wireless.

I know Windows 7 has it natively. And I know Windows XP has a program for it. Therefore, there should be a way to have Vista do it.

IonDragon
2010-07-14, 11:39 AM
You're on the right track, I think. Try googling for 'how to set up an ad-hoc wireless network on Vista'?

bluewind95
2010-07-14, 12:48 PM
I set it up and saved it.

The problem is it doesn't transmit my LAN connection. So the device connects to the laptop fine... but it has no internet.