PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Heirophant 'familiar' cheese...

panaikhan
2010-07-14, 07:22 AM
Ok, so I have a Druid aiming for AH... and I have been reading up what familiars can get up to, using the right feats.

One of the books (I think PHB2) has a feat where a familiar can hide within it's master's square, for a surprise attack. That's all that it says. No 'A familiar one size or more smaller than it's master' or 'A familiar of X size', just 'A familiar'.

Sinse it is quite possible for an AH to have Medium (or even large, possibly huge) familiars, how cheesy (by RAW) could we get here?
I know, any DM worth his salt is going to shoot this one down in flames - but I'm just asking what I could possibly argue for, according to the rules.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-14, 07:32 AM
The answer is really really. provided the GM is willing to go on the ambiguity of text and accept that a Familiar Companion is both familar and companion, rather than neither familiar nor companion.

things that help.

feat in dragon magazine that lets 1 divine casting class stack for purposes of determining level of your familiar.

Companion spellbond

nature bond

fleshrakers. . .

and the ever so wonderful abuse of share spell

Saph
2010-07-14, 07:36 AM
Well, Complete Warrior has a Hippogriff as a viable Improved Familiar. And you can play a Tiny wizard without much trouble (gnome/halfling with Reduce Person, say).

So you get a giant bloody eagle-horse thing the size of a minivan hiding behind something the size of a housecat, which is sort of amusing.

Morph Bark
2010-07-14, 07:37 AM
In case of Arcane Heirophant, it'd be debatable whether a Familiar Companion could still work for it, since it is Animal Companion first, Familiar second (otherwise you would have kept your familiar and dismissed the AC and your familiar would have gained AC benefits instead).

The Improved Familiar/Reduced Person trick works moreso though, by RAW.

BobVosh
2010-07-14, 07:42 AM
Well, Complete Warrior has a Hippogriff as a viable Improved Familiar. And you can play a Tiny wizard without much trouble (gnome/halfling with Reduce Person, say).

So you get a giant bloody eagle-horse thing the size of a minivan hiding behind something the size of a housecat, which is sort of amusing.

Better yet, be a beguiler. Something about a pikachu hiding a rapiddash behind him humors me.

panaikhan
2010-07-14, 07:51 AM
Better yet, be a beguiler. Something about a pikachu hiding a rapiddash behind him humors me.

My AH build just happens to be a druid/beguiler...

I find this doubly amusing, because it states in AH that your arcane class stacks with AH for determining your familiar abilities, and a beguiler doesn't normally get one

Morph Bark
2010-07-14, 08:11 AM

I find this doubly amusing, because it states in AH that your arcane class stacks with AH for determining your familiar abilities, and a beguiler doesn't normally get one

Don't you need a familiar to qualify for AH? Obtain Familiar feat, hello.

Prime32
2010-07-14, 08:30 AM

I find this doubly amusing, because it states in AH that your arcane class stacks with AH for determining your familiar abilities, and a beguiler doesn't normally get oneHe was referring to the beguiler race, not the beguiler class.

panaikhan
2010-07-15, 01:54 AM
Actually, I was refering to the beguiler class.
AH says nothing about the original arcane class needing a familiar, just the ability to cast arcane spells of a particular level.
It says your animal companion gains familiar benefits, and your levels in arcane class (not your levels in 'familiar') stack for the purposes of such.