PDA

View Full Version : NonVancian casting: help balancing Clerics, Druids and Wizards (et al) [3.5]

Aotrs Commander
2010-07-14, 08:15 AM
For some time I have been working on removing Vancian casting and tweaking the magic system to one based more on a mana-point basis (which I feel better fits my preferred magical flavour; more sort of Mercedes Lackey/Tamora Pierce/JRPG-y).

(Note that this will be working in conjuction with psionics.
Note also and I am aware of the spell points variant and how much it sucks..!)

The short, short version is that all spell-slots are converted into Mana points (at a rate of 1:1 for 4th level slots and 2:1 for higher level slots). The mana is divided into two pools, one of which may only be used for 4th or lower level spells. (There's more to it, but I this is itself not the issue, merely a causable factor I can expand on this if anyone is interested.)

(In addition, many of the most abuseable spells are being revised, removed or increased in level, plus noncasters being buffed so this change is not in isolation!)

The big issue I want to tackle is with this is dealing with clerics, druids, for whom giving the flat advantage of using their entire lists is a bit too much. For wizard and archivists, the problem is partly related to that and also to the fact they are not having spellbooks, and I'm trying to diverge money from mechanics.

I've tried several things. For clerics and druids, I looked at making them "ready" spells (like manouvers) and look anything else up in a prayerbook1. Then I looked at using an erudite-like system of only having a number of unique spells per day.

For wizards, I looked at the former and then at making them learn spells via XP cost like an erudite.

I was happy with neither result in either case. (I don't like XP costs.)

Then, as I was trudging home from my last session, a thought occurred; how about making it a bit more skill-based.

To whit:

Divine Casters
Clerics and druids can only remember so many prayers at once. They can only memorise X number of spells at once. Thses spells can be cast as normal.

(Let's say, for the sake of argument three per level plus Wisdom modifier. Feebdack on this number is requested!)

The character can replace their currently memorised spell list at any point, provided they have a suitable source (i.e. a prayerbook that contains the cleric or druid spell list.)

If a cleric or druid wishes to cast a spell not memorised, they can make a Knowlegde (Religion of Nature)2 check as approriate as a Move Action at DC 15+ three times spell level (i.e. 18-42).

If the check is failed, the caster may attempt it again on their next action.

If they suceed, they can cast the spell on their next action. They casters may hold the spell by concentrating as Move action that does not provoke an attack or opportunity, in the same manner as concentrating on an active spell; however, as mental concentration is not quite as delicate, reduce the check DCs by 5). If the caster casts a different spell, under takes another action of significant mental activity or fails to maintain concentration, they must start again.

Erudite Casters
Wizard and archivists may cast any spell they know at any time, but they can only learn up to a certain number of spells. Excluding those spell granted from class levels (i.e. six at level 1, two every level thereafter), they may only know a number of additional spells equal to their Spellcraft (and/or Knowledge (Arcana)?) score. They may spend one skill point to gain 1 additional slot (two additional slots?)

(A feat for this seems too harsh.)

The character may learn a new spell to fill their empty slots, provided they have an appropriate source (e.g. scroll) in the same manner as scribing a spell into a spell book (e.g. 24 hours and Spellcraft check). (This does not cost any money.)

Obviously, Sorcerer will need a boost (I'm thinking either +50% mana and faster recharge); the rest are okay as they are.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

1The flavour of divine magic is basically the cleric makes a prayer and supplies the requiste mana, and the god casts the actual spell (at the same subconcious level as they normally grant the in normal D&D). In effect, it goes something like "Dear Dark Lord, I beseech you to smite my enemies with holy fire in a 10' cylinder 40' high, 30' to my north and 20' to my east. Here is the mana, ta muchly, chief." Obviously, the actual prayer would be in the language of magic, but you get the idea.

2Arguable, you could use spellcraft, but the knowledge skills fit the flavour better.

Eldan
2010-07-14, 08:27 AM
Regarding erudite casters:

Skill points are cheap, especially for intelligence-based casters. At higher levels, you can expect a wizard to have a dozens of skill points per level, and even after taking every knowledge skill out there, they have a lot left. So I wouldn't make it buying them with skill points directly along with another skill also giving more.

Perhaps make a table: X skill in Spellcraft (which really should be the skill for this, from it's name alone) gives Y bonus spells known.

For sorcerers: sorcerers, as I envision them, have limited, but strong magic. You don't dispel a sorcerer, the attempt gets you mentally browbeat.

So what I would do is giving the sorcerer a few class features that make his magic better. Free Eschew materials/still spell, though that puts him close to the psions, which he is already given the point system. The ability to punch through elemental and spell resistances. Something like that.

Aotrs Commander
2010-07-14, 08:45 AM
Regarding erudite casters:

Skill points are cheap, especially for intelligence-based casters. At higher levels, you can expect a wizard to have a dozens of skill points per level, and even after taking every knowledge skill out there, they have a lot left. So I wouldn't make it buying them with skill points directly along with another skill also giving more.

Good point, sort of.

However, thinking about it, as Wish is being moved to Epic (so no inherent bonuses) and magic items being rare and mostly replaced by level-based flat bonuses (so no tomes or + bonus Int items), a Wizard's Int would cap out at 18+5 level plus a +6 enhancement bonuses (also from levels), gives you about 29 so a +9 bonus (give or take) 11-12 skill points, plus a few if you have a higher Int starting race. Still quite a few.

Ah, the other thing that ocurs, that I didn't mention is that the skills are nearly Pathfinder (so in theory, you can actually have non-class skills than actually mean something). It's a bit more likely that a character will pick up nonclass skills (as they'll only be 3 points plus stat difference behind the classes who have it as a class skill). More likely, but of course by no means certain!

Anyway, I don't forsee it being so much a problem at high level, since I don't think it makes as much difference; 9th level spells (bar the worst offenders, which will be Epic; e.g. Gate, Time Stop, Wish Miracle et al) are still 9th level spells, so I don't think knowing more would be as unbalancing as it would at lower levels.

Maybe it should be 1:1 skill points to extra spells, though, at any rate. Maybe even 2:1 (like skill tricks).

Analytica
2010-07-14, 09:21 AM

Not to derail, but could you please elaborate on that? If by higher levels you mean something like 16-20, something like a human wizard/incantatrix with a starting INT of 18 and all increases to INT would have 1+2+6=9 skill points per level. Are you assuming skill-point-heavy full casting-advancing classes? I don't want to nitpick, rather I find I never have enough skill points, so...

Aotrs Commander
2010-07-14, 09:37 AM
Not to derail, but could you please elaborate on that? If by higher levels you mean something like 16-20, something like a human wizard/incantatrix with a starting INT of 18 and all increases to INT would have 1+2+6=9 skill points per level. Are you assuming skill-point-heavy full casting-advancing classes? I don't want to nitpick, rather I find I never have enough skill points, so...

If you add another +6 from of [stat] I can't recall off the top of my head if you can get more than a +6 enchancement item pre-Epic) and another +5 inherent from [I]wishes of tomes (not that I think it's actually that easy to get those!), you could get to Int 34, which is a +12 bonus (so 1+2+12 = 15) skills points. Over a dozen; but I think Eldan was speaking more hybolically than literally, when he said "dozens".