PDA

View Full Version : To moddify a phylactery...

flabort
2010-07-14, 11:58 AM
To create a lich, the immortality seeking wizard has to go through a dark, evil ritual in order to create it's phylactery. However, by making changes to the ritual, certain effects can be achieved.

Note: NONE OF THESE MAY BE USED FOR THE SAME LICH!

Lich Bound (template):
By incorperating others into the dark rituals which grant the powers of imortality, the lich binds them to himself, bringing servants, friends, and (im)mortal enemies from mortality with him.
"Lich bound" is a template that may be applied to any intelegent, living humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
A Lich bound creature has all the base creature's statistics and spectial abilities except as noted here.

Size and type
The creature's type changes to undead. Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice
Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d20s.

Armor Class
A lich bound creature has a +5 natural armor bonus, or the base creature's natural armor, whichever is higher.

Attack
A Lich Bound Creature retains any ability to use weapons, and all natural weapons the base creature may have had. Unlike a lich, it does not gain a touch attack, allthough it retains any that it had before.

Special Qualities
A lich bound creature retains all the base creature's special qualities, and gains those described below:

Turn Resistance (Ex)
A Lich bound creature has +4 turn resistance.

Damage Reduction (Su)
A Lich bound creature's undead body is tough. It gains Damage resistance 10/bludgeoning and magic. It's natural weapons count as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Immunities (Ex)
Lich bound creatures have the same imunities as liches, being cold, electricity, and polymorph, although they are NOT immune to mind-affecting attacks.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: +2 str, +2 Cha. Being undead, a lich bound creature has no Constitution score.

Skills
Lich bound creatures have a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks. Otherwise same as the base creature.

Organization
Solitary or troupe (1 lich, plus 1d8 Lich bound creatures)

Challenge Rating
Same as the base creature +2

Lich Bound + the Lich's Phylactery
When creating a phylactery, the Lich can make up to a number of HD in Lich Bound, by multiplying the material and experience costs of the phylactery by the number of HD of Lich Bound, plus one. These Lich bound function similarily to the lich in regards to the phylactery, regenerating 1d10 days after being destroyed if the phylactery is not.

All subjects to be turned into Lich Bound must be present during the entire prosscess. The maximum number of HD a lich can turn into Lich bound creatures is equal to his caster level, minus 13. The lich cannot create more lich bound after the phylactery is finished. His personal Challenge rating increases by 1 for every lich bound creature he makes.

If the lich's phylactery is destroyed, but more than one lich bound that are bound to him remain, he retains the ability to regenerate as if his phylactery was still intact, but his lich bound lose this ability. A single lich bound does not contain a strong enough fragment of the lich's soul to regenerate him, but two are capable. He must regenerate near where one or more of the lich bound or his phylactery are, as long as they remain intact.

Lich bound tend to be melee type characters.

Organic Phylactery Graft
To create an "Organic Phylactery", a potential lich requires a helpless victim, a caster level 15, ability to cast 9th level spells, and other requirements to create a phylactery. Also required are any prerequisites to creating grafts. The lich replaces a part of the victim's body with a part of his own usually a rib or a limb, turning the body part into his phylactery. they also replace thier own part with the part they removed from the victim. Both the victim and the lich obtain immortaility this way. The proccess requires a DC 21 heal check, using the Victim's constitution moddifier as a bonus, and 8 days beyond what would normally be required.

While the lich's apearence remains gaunt and skeletal, the part they remove from the victim remains vibrant and full of life, and while the victim never ages, the part replaced by the lich apears to be gaunt and skeletal. The victim does not need to be any particular alignment, although thier grafted part will show up as Evil on a detect alignment spell or similar.

The victim does not gain the ability to regenerate, but if thier body is slain, they may make a DC 10+the number of times they have been killed fortitude check to be resurected in 1d10 days. If their body is burned or otherwise comepletely destroyed, they cannot be resurected, and the lich's phylactery is effectively destroyed.

(semi)Psionic lich
if he otherwise meets the requirements to make a phylactery, and has a net Caster and Manifester level of 12, he may become a lich as normal, but using his psicrystal as his phylactery, negating any and all costs.
Should he be destroyed, he gains direct control over his psicrystal until he regenerates, being able to use any and all abilities it could use on it's own, with self propulsion being automatically activated. Self propulsion also gains unlimited use during this time. He may not cast spells during this time.

If he has spell casting, he may saccrifice a spell during preperation to gain an amount of PP for the day equal to the spells level. for spontanious casters, this means they can't use the spell that day. As well, he may use PP to cast a spell spontaniously, regardless of whether they were a spontanious caster, at a cost of one and a half times the spell's level in PP.

The majority of psionic lich's will not have any caster level, being fully psionic.

Nidogg
2010-07-14, 12:07 PM
hmmm, good template for the lich bound for creating martial megaheads (lich bound swordsage) But a lich can just cast the spell hoard gullet or modekaimens MM or even (for the cheapskate undead lord in all of us) rope trick to hide his phylactery for ever. But it is a VERY good trick for a horror campaign (i.e organic phylactry) especially if the lich bursts out of the subjects chest as he is regeneratting, it could be a Mad wichunt trying to destroy them all, all in all, pretty good.... however I would give the lichbound somthing else so they can be on a par with their casting counterparts.

Tanuki Tales
2010-07-14, 12:32 PM
Why does the Psionic Lich require Caster levels?

The Lichfiend requires a Caster level and certain kinds of SLAs but not actual spellcasting, so why would the Psionic equivalent require them (other than compensating for a free Phy of course)?

DracoDei
2010-07-14, 02:37 PM
"but more than one lich bound that are bound to him remain," so there have to be at least TWO lich bound remaining? I assume the lich re-forms near the location of one of the lich bound (probably of the lich's choosing) is/was at at the time of the lich's destruction?

You need to put in a clause about the lich bound having to be present for the entire lichifying process. As it is they can target anyone, regardless of range etc, and without a save (possibly without SR).

Should Organic Phylactery state a Heal check DC? Swapping ribs between two living individuals (and the process has to happen BEFORE the lich achieves undeath I should think) would require modern surgical techniques... unless you are going to have an assistant revivify the non-lich-to-be or something... You also should probably list out the requirements more exactly. If you don't have the correct books, I would just ask around here.

flabort
2010-07-15, 10:36 AM
@Nidogg: I could boost str & dex bonuses further, and give them something allong the lines of Negative Extract, being something like contact poison if they or thier opponent are unarmed... and able to coat thier weapons with they stuff coming out of them. would that put them closer to the true lichs? alternatively, I could drop the CR increase to 1 for the lich bound.

@Bendraesar: He requires caster levels for... I forget. Lets make it a net caster and mannifester level 11, regardless of whether they have caster levels, although without mannifester levels, it's not using the variant. He could... well, if he has caster levels, he could expend a spell slot for a number of power points equal to the spell level. (Can't use that spell for the rest of the day, period, for sorccerers). That way, we could have a 100% psion, or we could have a blend.

@DracoDei: Yes, there need to be two remaining. A single lich bound does not have a large enough fracture to maintain the lich's lifeforce.

Yes, I'll add a clause stating they must be present.

Yes, I sould have added a heal DC.

And, yes, I barely have any books. (does the hypertext srd count as a book?) thanks. I will ask around. (that's one reason I put this here. the other is for others to use them)

Nidogg
2010-07-15, 11:59 AM
@Nidogg: I could boost str & dex bonuses further, and give them something allong the lines of Negative Extract, being something like contact poison if they or thier opponent are unarmed... and able to coat thier weapons with they stuff coming out of them. would that put them closer to the true lichs?

Sounds good, liches are meant to be high level encounters and higher brawlers need more special abilitys to stop them being Disintigrated, maybe give them spell resistance?