PDA

View Full Version : Quick crossbow question

piemaester
2010-07-14, 12:45 PM
I have been wanting to do this for sometime, but can't find a way to do it. Is there a way to reload hand crossbows one handed so that one could effectively duel wield them?

unre9istered
2010-07-14, 12:48 PM
Quickloading from Magic Item Compendium might do it, but it would require a judgment call from your DM.

Yora
2010-07-14, 12:49 PM
That's what this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148242) is for.

Use that one first for short and basic questions.

Thajocoth
2010-07-14, 12:55 PM
Hand Crossbow is already "Load Free". For a Crossbow or Superior Crossbow though, the Swiftshot enchantment (AV) changes a Crossbow to be Load Free, and the Speed Loader feat (PHB2) also lets you load a Crossbow as a Free Action. You could also go with a Repeating Crossbow (AV) which gets 10 shots per load, but needs to be reloaded with a Standard action.

The Rogue feat Two-Fisted Shooter (MP) is likely what you want, as it lets you wield a Hand Crossbow in your off-hand, and lets you reload one-handed.

Tshern
2010-07-14, 12:56 PM
Hand Crossbow Focus from Drow of the Underdark?

Ferrin
2010-07-14, 01:00 PM
Hand Crossbow is already "Load Free". For a Crossbow or Superior Crossbow though, the Swiftshot enchantment changes a Crossbow to be Load Free, and the Speed Loader feat also lets you load a Crossbow as a Free Action. You could also go with a Repeating Crossbow which gets 10 shots per load, but needs to be reloaded with a Standard action.

Hand Crossbow still requires a move action unless you have Hand Crossbow Focus from Drow of the Underdark(or another feat which lets you load as a free action). I don't think you can dual wield them effectively though. At the very least I haven't found a way in which you can.

Optimystik
2010-07-14, 01:00 PM
Another way is if you're a Warforged - their Armbow component fits on one arm and reloads/fires mentally, thus you can use two of them. It functions as a +2 repeating light crossbow. Creating bolts is a free action, loading and firing is a standard action.

AtwasAwamps
2010-07-14, 01:01 PM
It is best to include a note as to what edition you are talking about. Thajo is giving you information from 4.0. The others are 3.5.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-14, 01:31 PM
I have been wanting to do this for sometime, but can't find a way to do it. Is there a way to reload hand crossbows one handed so that one could effectively duel wield them?
There are two magical enhancements that together will accomplish this. Quick loading (Magic Item Compendium; +1 enhancement cost) will put another bolt in place. Self-loading (Arms and Equipment Guide; +10,000 gp cost) will draw back the string for you.