PDA

View Full Version : Isle of the Black Sorcerer - Part 2 IC

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Firebeard
2011-01-18, 09:14 PM
The light suds coating Halvir's body helped the dwarf squirm out from beneath the bloodhulk giant as Aranis and Tobias hefted one side of the thing up from the ground. The dwarf rolled onto his back once he was freed and stared at the mist-shrouded sky above as he fought to breathe. Tobias and Aranis let the corpse fall back with a thud that rocked everyone on their feet and sent small ripples rushing outwards from the water's edge.

Once the dwarf had regained his feet, the five of you set out once again following the path. It was becoming harder and harder to see, and several times you had to backtrack to pick it up again. Amazingly enough, you meet no further opposition for over an hour, though you do have the feeling of being watched.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-01-19, 02:35 PM
Virgil, bow still in hand, holds up a hand.
"I hear something... I believe we're being followed. Keep a sharp eye out..."
If they were in more hospitable terrain, he might be inclined to hunt the hunter, but in the mire of the swamp, they were better off sticking to the trail... and that meant being stalked, whether they liked it or not.

Firebeard
2011-01-19, 05:20 PM
"Followed. Yes, you might say that." said a voice from the mist. Around you the clacking sound grew louder and louder. Shapes appeared in the mist and fog, resolving themselves into dozens of skeletons and zombies - the remnants of last night's horde. Directly in front of you stepped two figures, screened behind the skeletons and zombies there.

"I do think Master Perrak will like these, Darius" said the female figure.

"I doubt he'll like what they've done to his guardians though," drawled the male. "The bloodhulk alone took almost 3 dozen bodies' worth of blood to fill. I doubt we'll get that thing remade before year's end. Either way, these should keep him off our back for a while." He smiled wickedly at the female. "Well, me anyway. I understand you rather enjoy..."

"Shut your mouth, Darius! Or, I'll sew it shut. Deal with these now and maybe I'll overlook that last comment."

Here's the map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/swampEncounter5a.png)

Rolling for initiatives...

Aranis: [roll0]
Tobias: [roll1]
Jacelyn: [roll2]
Aditu: [roll3]
Virgil: [roll4]
Halvir: [roll5]
creatures: [roll6]

Round 1 initiatives...

Aditu 22
Virgil 21
Halvir 21
Tobias 19
Jacelyn 16
Aranis 15
creatures 6

Enjoy!

Nox Lupus
2011-01-19, 10:12 PM
Tobias looks around at the surrounding horde... "Thank you, Firelord. Tobias says to himself. Quickly, he works a spell.

"I am one with the sacred flame, I am of the eternal fire, so I shall fear no flame and know no pain from its touch.

Casting- Protection from Energy (Fire)- 72pts, 60min duration

"I'll handle this group, try to keep your distance :smallamused:" He says gesturing to the [upper right-hand corner of the map... sorry not sure which way is North :smallbiggrin:].

CockroachTeaParty
2011-01-20, 08:01 PM
With this many targets, Virgil could only think of one valid tactic. He pulls out his holy symbol, and prays that Oghma will help him and his companions in their time of need...
"Away, abominations!"

Spending an IP on Opportunistic Piety to try and turn some undead! (within 60 ft./12 squares)
Turning Check: [roll0]
Undead of up to 10 HD are affected (up to 4 HD are destroyed!)
Turning Damage: [roll1] HD of undead turned (or destroyed?).

Then moving to K9.

Knowledge Devotion:
Knowledge (religion): [roll2]
Anything else present other than undead?

Fuzzies
2011-01-21, 08:58 AM
@GM
Before I choose which spell to use, is there any way of finding out what Virgil's turning did? I'd hate to blow a huge spell, only to find out half my targets are already destroyed.

Firebeard
2011-01-21, 09:35 AM
An orangish glow surrounds Tobias as he calls upon his Lord's power to protect himself from the powers he is about to unleash. the glow is surmounted though by a harsh white light that fills the area, driving back the fog and mist, and hurting the eyes of everyone. Virgil stands, his symbol of Oghma held high in his hand, calling upon the powers of his god to drive away this undead horde. The wall of undead cringes away from the light, and several of the weaker ones fall where they stand, unmade by the radiance of the holy light.

The map is updated with the casualties (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/swampEncounter5b.png), but I forgot to move Virgil. Ah well, I'll get that fixed in the next update. Hope this gives you an idea what to do Fuzzies.

adamantite
2011-01-21, 11:07 AM
As soon as Virgil makes his way to the group, Halvir pulls a small pouch from his belt. Untying the pouch, he sifts a silver dust into his hand. "Back to back, then. This should help." The dwarf pours the dust on the ground in a smooth motion, making a small circle around them. Then, holding his axe aloft, he calls on Clangeddon to seal the circle. A nimbus of light surrounds the group, holding the evil creatures at bay.

Casting Magic circle against Evil. 10' radius around K9 in the new map.

Jade_Tarem
2011-01-21, 03:25 PM
Aranis wordlessly brings his greatsword around to a high guard, and wades out to meet his opponents.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the water tiles reduce movement to half speed and forbid charging, right? If that's still true, then Aranis will double move to Q13

Firebeard
2011-01-21, 04:07 PM
@Aranis

That is correct.

Fuzzies
2011-01-21, 06:19 PM
Jacelyn stood inside Halvir's circle and pulled the components for one of her best area of effect spells from her pouch. She called out "Tobias, I don't know what you're planning, but it better be good" as she gathered her materials. Then, with a thought that invoked the arcane magics, she hurled a small blue white ball away from her. The ball grew as it soared towards the 2 figures behind the horde. It impacted in the ground between them, throwing up a gout of frigid vapor and frozen chunks of peat.

Casting scintillating sphere at R16.
[roll0] damage, Ref DC20 for half

Firebeard
2011-01-21, 07:31 PM
@Jacelyn

I need a SR roll from you please :)

Firebeard
2011-01-24, 01:10 PM
Jacelyn's blast sends the zombies and skeletons nearby crumpling to the ground. the two figures behind them moved with exceptional speed, dodging from the blast area and appearing unharmed as they moved to attack. Balls of eldritch energy appeared in their hands, and as one, they hurled them at Aranis. The balls of green/black energy crashed into the knight at about the same time, rocking him in his armor. Aranis felt a sick sensation from the blow, as if the energies did more than just pure damage.

Around the fellowship, the zombies and skeletons continued to close in. One managed to swing at Aranis, but the knight beat it back with his greatsword.

Aranis takes 15 damage and 12 damage before DR.

Aranis needs to make me 2 Will saves.

Here is the updated map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/swampEncounter5c.png)

Round 2 initiatives...

Aditu 22
Virgil 21
Halvir 21
Tobias 19
Jacelyn 16
Aranis 15
creatures 6

CockroachTeaParty
2011-01-24, 06:22 PM
Virgil kept his holy symbol aloft, continuing to channel as much positive energy he could manage into keeping the undead swarm at bay...
"Dust to dust!"

Let's try this again, shall we? Burning an IP to turn some more undead.
Turning check: [roll0]
-Undead of up to 10 HD are turned, up to 4 HD are destroyed.

Turning damage: [roll1], whoops, that should only be 15 HD of undead affected.

Firebeard
2011-01-25, 11:54 AM
More undead crumple at the light spewing from Virgil's amulet. The factotem's faith in his god's understanding that sometimes you just have to call in some help was just too powerful for the weak minded skeletons and zombies before them.

The 7 closest skeletons and zombies fall

updated map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/swampEncounter5d.png)

Nox Lupus
2011-01-25, 01:16 PM
"Move to the other side of the circle, I'm not wanting to roast any living flesh here...
Tobias says, looking towards Aranis.

Whether the others act immediately or not, he begins to walk toward the side of the island nearest Aranis. He chants in Ignan as he goes, hoping to give them enough time to move.

He stomps hard on the remnants of the zombie as he presents the holy symbol engraved on his gauntlet. With that he utters the final syllable of the spell...

@GM

Action- Move to M7
Complete spell on Initiative count 16, after Jacelyn has moved.
Energy Vortex (Fire)-[roll0]
*- double dmg by taking dmg.

Spellcraft DC 13

ENERGY VORTEX
Evocation [see text; Fire only]
Level: Cleric 3, druid 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 20 ft.
Targets: All creatures within a 20-ft.-radius burst centered on you
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes
Energy wells up inside you and explodes outward in a furious burst. When you cast energy vortex, you choose one of four energy types: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. A blast of that energy type bursts in all directions from you, dealing 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +20) to nearby creatures (20')other than you. If you are willing to take the damage yourself, you deal twice as much damage. You don’t get a reflex save, but spell resistance applies, as do any resistances and immunities you have to the energy type. The descriptor of this spell is the same as the energy type you choose when you cast it.

adamantite
2011-01-26, 01:36 PM
"Move lass, lad!" called Halvir as he grabbed Virgil and Jacelyn by the elbows and hustled them to the far side of the warding sphere. He had an idea of what Tobias was about to do and had no intention of getting his beard singed.

The dwarf raised his axe high and called out "Clangeddon, Lord of War! Prepare this Blade of yours for righteous cleansing, that together we might prevail." The blade of the axe glowed a pure golden white, bathing the companions in a warm light and causing the nearest undead to flinch away.

Move to I8 and "encourage" Jacelyn and Virgil to move to H7 and H8.

Cast Undead Bane Weapon. Let's go hunt some undead.

Fuzzies
2011-01-27, 08:36 AM
Jacelyn allowed Halvir to guide her aside from the area of Tobias' blast radius as she prepared her next spell. From her shoulder, Aditu fired off a set of magic missiles at the nearest undead. Jacelyn activated her left glove and the crystal inserted in the back of it and launched her own larger set of missiles.

Move to H7. Aditu cast MM CL3 at F4 [roll0]

Jacelyn's missiles, hitting the closest until it is dead and working down the line.
[roll1] x 1.5 = 3
[roll2] x 1.5 = 3
[roll3] x 1.5 = 6
[roll4] x 1.5 = 4
[roll5] x 1.5 = 4

Firebeard
2011-01-28, 08:23 AM
Between them, Jacelyn and Aditu drop a pair of the shambling undead closest to them, the blue-white balls of their magical missiles striking unerringly into the places on the skeletons to cause maximum damage. Aranis cuts down a skeleton with his greatsword, then spins off to engage the casters that had blasted him previously. As he moved, Tobias sighed and released the pent up energies he had been storing. A vortex of fire blasted out from the archon, shredding all in its path with violent energies and burning flame. Remnants of armor and bone on the skeletons and zombies nearest him burst into flame and smoked evilly. Head thrown back, Tobias let his god's power flow through him unchecked, trusting in the Lord of Fire to restrain the flames from damaging him...if it was his will.

As the flames died out, there was calm in the swamp for a few moments. "Lord of the Undead" whispered the male figure, cradling a ball of eldritch energy in his hand. He shook his head and said "Sister, dear. I think we may have a problem." Blinking his eyes, he looked down at the ball of energy still held in his hand, shrugged, and then hurled it at Aranis. Seconds later, the female did the same. Both balls of green-black energy slammed into the knight once more, staggering him. The two looked at each other and then began walking backwards into the mist, determinedly watching Aranis and the rest of you, but just as obviously trying to leave.

The remaining skeletons and zombies converged on the trio left on the western side of the island. Halvir, axe still raised met their shambling charge with the full faith in his god, and a song on his lips. While bone and rotten flesh slammed into his shield and armor, but the stout dwarf withstood it all and took a deep breath to retaliate.

Aranis takes 12 damage and 9 damage before DR.

Aranis needs to make me 2 more Will saves.

Here is the updated map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/swampEncounter5e.png)

Round 3 initiatives...

Aditu 22
Virgil 21
Halvir 21
Tobias 19
Jacelyn 16
Aranis 15
creatures 6

adamantite
2011-01-28, 08:59 AM
Hah! The Lord of War sees your blight and has sent us to end it, foul beasts!" Halvir shouted as he waded into the lesser undead. The axe flashed left and right as he hacked away at them.

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

attack: [roll3]
damage: [roll4] + [roll5]

Nox Lupus
2011-01-28, 09:06 AM
Whisps of smoke & steam, and waves of heat still surrounded Tobias as he emerged from the malestrom of flame untouched.

Slowly, he lowered his head and smelled deeply the air, taking in the scent of his Lord's work. The power of the spell was all he had hoped for and more. He had felt its presense in his mind like a itch needing to be scratched. Unleashing it was a long awaited experience, and the recipients of his lord's cleansing flames had never been more deserving or needing of it :smallamused:.

Tobias looked about and noticed Aranis being struck by dark bolts of what he presumed to foul spells, and his other allies engaging the remnants of the undead horde.

"Aranis! Withdraw and return to us, we cannot fight with you out there." Tobias shouted. There was an edge of pleading in his voice, for be knew Aranis was a sitting duck, wading through all that muck, for whatever was pelting him with spells.

Certain the others could handle the remaining undead, Tobias prepared himself to move to Aranis' aid should he need it... or ignore his request and press on :smallannoyed:.

Fuzzies
2011-01-31, 12:15 PM
Seeing that their enemies had been greatly reduced, Jacelyn decided to conserve her arcane magics. Spying the male caster in the far distance, she let fly with another barrage of magical missiles, this time aiming for him.

I think he is in LOS range, you did say MORE than 90 feet is total concealment, yes?

SR: [roll0]

[roll1] x 1.5 = 6
[roll2] x 1.5 = 4
[roll3] x 1.5 = 3
[roll4] x 1.5 = 7
[roll5] x 1.5 = 7

Edit: a 1 on the SR? Grr, guess not

Firebeard
2011-02-01, 08:12 AM
Halvir's axe ripped through his attackers like a scythe through wheat, lopping off body parts and nearly bisecting one of the zombies. Two of their number fell, leaving only 2 more in the immediate vicinity. Jacelyn's magical missiles flew out to home unerringly in towards the male figure. A foot away from him they simply dissipated, vanishing completely.

The figure lifted a hand in a mocking salute and called out "Ta ta for now, dear lady. I imagine I'll be seeing a lot more of you soon." With that parting shot, he and the female disappeared into the mist.

Here is the updated map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/swampEncounter5f.png)

Round 4 initiatives...

Aditu 22
Virgil 21
Halvir 21
Tobias 19
Jacelyn 16
Aranis 15
creatures 6

adamantite
2011-02-01, 08:30 AM
Seeing that their foes are almost destroyed, Halvir redoubles his efforts to clear away the dross so that they can pursue the fleeing undead casters.

Jade_Tarem
2011-02-01, 01:40 PM
Aranis sighs and moves back toward the remaining undead.

Firebeard
2011-02-02, 08:21 AM
Halvir easily chops down the last two undead as Aranis sighs and breaks off his pursuit of the two figures that just disappeared into the mist. As the knight slogged back through the muck to reach the rest of you, you sit back and take stock of your situation. You know the direction the figures were moving through the mist, and it just happens to be in the rough direction that the path is heading as well.

You killed a bunch of squibs, no XP there, but you did drive off the casters so 480XP for the level 8s and 560XP for the level 7s!

adamantite
2011-02-02, 09:07 AM
"Aranis, lad, are you okay? Those spells look like they did a world of hurt on you." Halvir hooked his still-glowing axe on his belt and walked over to Aranis to look him over. Pulling his wand from its pouch, he tapped the big elf twice.

22hp back at you. Need any more?

"Well, do we continue after them? Or follow the trail? It looks like they might be heading in the same direction. Not sure I want to be following someone so good at hit and run tactics in this mist though. Especially not if they are as resistant to magic as it seemed." Turning to Jacelyn, he said "What did you hit them with , lass? It looked less than your usual effectiveness."

Nox Lupus
2011-02-02, 09:47 AM
"Do we have any spells that might help disperse this thrice-damned fog?" Tobias asks.

Jade_Tarem
2011-02-02, 02:47 PM
Aranis leans heavily against a tree before falling noisily. "A world of hurt? A curious expression, but apt..."

Aranis can uses his Lay On Hands to cover for some more - but I think he's still short some hp.

Also, Aranis is an elf.

adamantite
2011-02-02, 03:40 PM
"Aye lad, my old teacher used it to describe our battlechief's head after a planning session. He said it be 'a world's worth of pain and hurt' going on in there, some from the ale and most from the talking'. It got shortened to 'a world of hurt' after the 5th one. You seem to still have a few wounds left. Let me try this again."

Sorry about the human name calling. All you tallies look alike to me.

2 more taps from the wand takes you up another 22hp. You must have gotten hit for more than I thought.

Fuzzies
2011-02-02, 04:33 PM
"I don't think so Tobias. I imagine this isn't a magical mist. And if it is, I am not sure I could counter it. I mean, I certainly can't think of any spell that would make a mist this thick and widespread."

K. Arcana: [roll0]
spellcraft: [roll1]

Firebeard
2011-02-04, 08:42 AM
@Jacelyn

Nope, it's just a dense bank of mist or fog generated from the warm moist air of the swamp meeting with colder air coming from the ocean.

And because it looks creepy:smallsmile:

CockroachTeaParty
2011-02-04, 10:22 AM
Virgil pockets his holy symbol once more, wiping his brow in an attempt to rid his eyes of excess condensation, ultimately in vain.
"We've little choice but to press on. Those bastards are going to have to try a lot harder than that to bring us down, and I'm looking forward to a rematch."

adamantite
2011-02-04, 10:42 AM
"As am I lad, as am I." Halvir put a hand on his still-glowing axe. "Shall we follow then? I think Aranis was near where they disappeared. Was it straight back along that hummock there, Aranis?"

Nox Lupus
2011-02-04, 10:44 AM
"Lets be off, following them is a good a direction as any given where are." :smallannoyed:

Firebeard
2011-02-04, 01:17 PM
Slogging across the stretch of water and mud, the companions followed the direction of the casters. Halvir grumbled about the muck and water in his armor as he had been doing all day, but it was obvious that the dwarf was ready to do what it took to hunt down the undead warlocks.

As the companions stepped onto solid ground again, they saw a building emerging from the mists. The building was squarish, with steps leading up to a single open doorway. The roof of the building was a small dome, with vines and moss covering the walls. Standing beside the stairs, to either side of the building were two figures in heavy armor. Shields held in one hand, and longswords in the other, the two figures were obviously set to guard. Their weapons and armor showed signs of abuse, tarnished by untold years in the swamps, but just as obviously were still deathly effective.

Here is the map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/swampEncounter6a.png)

Rolling initiatives...
monsters [roll6]

Round 1 initiatives:

Jacelyn 22
Aditu 11
Aranis 11
Halvir 11
Tobias 10
monsters 9
Virgil 7

Nox Lupus
2011-02-04, 01:38 PM
"Hmmm..."

Tobias stared intently at the appearent abominations...

@GM

Kn. (Arc)-[roll0]
Kn. (Rel)-[roll1]

Edit: Evidentally Tobias skipped out on most of his Undead Lore classes in school :smallmad:

Firebeard
2011-02-04, 01:43 PM
@Tobias

Um, hey look, undead!

adamantite
2011-02-05, 08:35 AM
Halvir racked his brain to see if his studies or experiences had taught him anything about these armored undead.

K religion: [roll0]

I'll edit in a shout to the others if I learn anything.

Reaching for the axe on his belt, the dwarf said "Aranis, I'll take the one on the right, you get the other." Without waiting for a response, teh dwarf burst into motion. With armor and shield, the short dwarf started his charge at a slow trot, but built up speed quickly. As he neared the undead guardian that was his target, the axe glowed even brighter, sensing the undead. Bringing the axe around in a sweeping blow, Halvir sought to rip the thing's chest open with a blow angled under its shield.

Charge to G12 and attack.

axe: [roll1]
damage: [roll2] + [roll3]

Jade_Tarem
2011-02-05, 04:44 PM
Aranis sprints toward the creature on the left (East), springing forward and slashing at the last moment.

Attack (PA 4): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Fuzzies
2011-02-05, 10:27 PM
Jacelyn moved forward as Aranis and Halvir attacked. She pulled a few components from a pouch, then pointed one hand at each of the undead guardians. A cold blue ray of fire lanced out from the palm of the each hand towards each of the armored undead.

move to G7 and send a scorching ray at each of the sentries.

ranged touch F13:[roll0]
damage: [roll1] cold

ranged touch K13:[roll2]
damage: [roll3] cold

Firebeard
2011-02-07, 02:36 PM
@Jacelyn

Might as well roll me a SR check every time for a while. I'll let you know when to stop :smallwink:

Just toss it in the OOC thread unless you want me to just roll it on my end.

Nox Lupus
2011-02-07, 03:47 PM
Tobias walks forward and makes ready to assist his allies...

@GM

Move- K9
Area effect spells and close combat do not mix well... :smallfrown:
Tobias is holding incase anyone gets hurt badly.
If no one takes any solid hits, Tobias will move to L11 in preparation to attack next round.

Firebeard
2011-02-07, 04:20 PM
Sword and axe flew forward to generate sparks from darkened armor as both Halvir and Aranis rushed their foes. In a short time, the dwarf and elf had learned to work together, and their blows fell hard and heavy on the undead guardians before them. Both of them were astonished, however, when their blows were turned by the heavy armor, doing some damage to the creatures, but not nearly as much as they would expect. The smell of the rank creatures increased as mirrored grins appeared on each of the undead warriors' faces behind their heavy helms.

The grin was burned from Halvir's opponents' face as Jacelyn's lance of cold fire blasted in. A shimmering wave radiated out from the creature where her ray had struck, but the cold light pierced the barrier and struck home with heavy force. The monster reeled, but the damage was not so great that it was slowed appreciably. Jacelyn's other ray flew wide of her intended target as she tried to avoid hitting Aranis as he charged in.

The undead lifted their weapons in concert and began a series of heavy strokes that lanced in at the two fighters with unexpected agility. Both Aranis and Halvir took a hit that slipped through their defenses, and both felt more weakened by the blows than they should have.

Aranis takes 6 damage before DR and 1 Strength damage.
Halvir takes 8 damage and 1 Strength damage

Virgil is up and then we move to round 2
Round 2 initiatives:

Jacelyn 22
Aditu 11
Aranis 11
Halvir 11
Tobias 10
monsters 9
Virgil 7

Here is the updated map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/swampEncounter6b.png)

CockroachTeaParty
2011-02-08, 08:17 PM
Uncharacteristically slow on the get up, and finding himself for once truly puzzled over what variety of undead they faced, Virgil approached cautiously, his bow in hand. Deciding to try the experimentation with one of his unused arrows, he draws an arrow with dark green fletching and a dark, almost black, head. Then, he lets the projectile loose at the monster in front of Aranis.

Moving to K7, and firing an adamantine arrow at the monster in K13.

Attack (spending an IP): [roll0]

adamantite
2011-02-08, 10:14 PM
Halvir grimaces behind his beard as the thing's blow saps his strength. The pain was nothing compared to the cold numbness spreading through him, making his armor and weapon feel heavier. The divine power of Clangeddon still coursed through him though, and he struck out again at the creature before him.

Fuzzies
2011-02-09, 07:56 AM
Again Jacelyn sent a line of blue fire at the undead warriors. She focused her will and her arcane talents into pressing her attack through whatever magical protections these creatures held.

casting scorching (frosty) ray. SR [roll0]

ranged touch F13:[roll1]
damage: [roll2] cold

ranged touch K13:[roll3]
damage: [roll4] cold

Firebeard
2011-02-09, 02:50 PM
@Tobias

halvir's blow will kill the one he is facing. your turn check might still be effective on the lone warrior, but I will allow you to choose not to use it if you think it would be wasted on a single target. let me know via PM or email

Jade_Tarem
2011-02-09, 03:23 PM
Aranis grimaces as the creature attacks his very strength. There's nothing to do but keep swinging, though.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]

Damage 1: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Firebeard
2011-02-09, 04:19 PM
As Aranis reels from the creature's blow, Virgil's arrow whistles in to strike the thing's chest with the characteristic 'pang' of an arrow punching through metal. The arrow does not penetrate very far, however, before it comes to a stop. The undead guardian reached up with its shield arm and snapped the arrow off.

Jacelyn's rays of frosty fire burned out again, setting the mist about them glowing with an eerie blue light. One bolt seared past Halvir's target, damaging a dead tree behind it, but not harming the undead creature at all. Aranis' target took a ray square in the stomach as it raised its shield to snap off Virgil's arrow. It staggered a bit, and the smell of frostbitten flesh rose heavy about it.

Aranis tried to follow up the arrow and ray with a pair of strikes, but his weakened arms could not bring the greatsword around fast enough to get past the undead warrior's defenses. Halvir took advantage of the distraction of Jacelyn's spell and slammed his axe heavily into the creature twice. An arm and half a leg went flying into the dead bushes around him as he hacked into the desiccated body. As he finished, he kicked the undead warrior's helm off to reveal orcish features on a withered face.

Tobias, seeing the trouble Aranis was having penetrating the guardian's armor and skin, raised his holy symbol high and called upon Kossuth to deal with these abominations. The fiery orange light that seared out from the flame in his hand lit upon the undead creature, which cowered back from the light. It flicked out its sword at Aranis, standing so closely as to be within grappling range, but the knight easily twisted the blows aside.

[spoiler]
Virgil is up and then we move to round 3
Round 3 initiatives:

Jacelyn 22
Aditu 11
Aranis 11
Halvir 11
Tobias 10
monsters 9
Virgil 7

Here is the updated map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/swampEncounter6c.png)

CockroachTeaParty
2011-02-09, 10:30 PM
It appeared his more martially-inclined companions had things well in hand, but the scholar in Virgil wished to test the resilience of the undead creatures while he had the chance. Two more arrows flew at the monster, one blue fletched and silver-headed, the other red-fletched and sporting a head of cold iron...

Fire 1, silver: [roll0]
Fire 2, cold iron: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Spending 2 IP, one for each attack.

adamantite
2011-02-10, 12:55 PM
Seeing Aranis struggling against his target, Halvir rushed over, axe leading the way. His glowing blade ripped out against the undead warrior in an attempt to end its vile existence forever.

Jade_Tarem
2011-02-10, 01:35 PM
Aranis repeats, still trying to get through the creature's defenses.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]

Damage 1: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Fuzzies
2011-02-10, 02:38 PM
Seeing the fighters converging on the lone remaining undead, Jacelyn holds her magics in reserve and strides forward to stand near Virgil...just in case.

move to J6

Firebeard
2011-02-11, 08:13 AM
Virgil's two arrows flew true to strike the undead warrior solidly in the chest. The silver arrow appeared to do no damage at all, though it pierced the armor easily enough. The cold iron arrow obviously penetrated a small fraction, but it was brushed away as easily as the first arrow had been. Those attacks were followed by Aranis' adamantine greatsword, but though the knight hacked solidly past the undead's defenses, he did as little damage as the arrows had. It wasn't until Halvir came running up with his battleaxe glowing with righteous fury that the undead guardian quailed. The battleaxe flashed in, driving deeply into the creatures side and out again. With an unearthly moan, the figure fell to the ground, it's stillness proclaiming victory.

Congratulations! Those guys are a hard fight, but you guys had the right tools.

The level 8s get 600 XP, and the level 7s get 800 XP.

On the bodies you find:

2 very high quality longswords
2 badly damaged breastplates
3 gems (blue, green, mauve)
ring

Nox Lupus
2011-02-11, 12:44 PM
Tobias walks up to the base of the steps of the "temple" and peers inside through the entry way the undead were guarding... :smallconfused:

@GM

Spot-[roll0]
Listen-[roll1]

Firebeard
2011-02-11, 12:59 PM
The steps lead up to what appears to be a small mausoleum. In the shadows inside, Tobias can see a square room with iconography carved into stone walls. In the center of the worked stone floor was an opening with stairs leading downward.

Nox Lupus
2011-02-11, 01:45 PM
Tobias relays this to the others...

CockroachTeaParty
2011-02-12, 09:40 AM
Just about any other person in the world would probably be dismayed with the prospect of delving into some unknown horror beneath the earth, but Virgil was a special case. Anything would be better than the swamp, and dungeons were his preferred environment of operation. Returning his bow to his quiver, Virgil draws his rolled up thieves' tools.
"Give me but a moment, everyone. Let me inspect this threshold for any unpleasant surprises."

(Search checks are in order! Virgil's packing a +16 modifier, and would search anything particularly ominous, such as the doorway, the top of the stairs, etc. Do you want to roll those in secret, Firebeard?)

Firebeard
2011-02-12, 10:37 AM
Virgil sees no signs of danger on the steps, threshold, or the floor of the building. It looks like a standard mausoleum, except for the stairs leading intot he depths.

Fuzzies
2011-02-12, 02:46 PM
"Oh good, I hope it isn't flooded with swamp water. That would make Tobias' oh so happy." Jacelyn fired a grin at the fire priest, knowing that the mere thought of going underwater would likely send him into a tizzy. She moved towards the mausoleum carefully, not wanting to disturb Virgil's scrutiny. "Watch out for those warlocks. If they came this way at all, they are likely waiting for us below."

Nox Lupus
2011-02-14, 12:49 PM
Tobias does is best to stifle a grimace at Jacelyn's comment. Good natured or not, such a joke still gave the shivers.

Looking toward Javelyn, Tobias says "Shall I light the way?" :smallamused:

Fuzzies
2011-02-14, 03:08 PM
I think that would be fine, since Virgil didn't find anything. Aranis? Halvir? Are we ready to head down?

Jade_Tarem
2011-02-14, 05:02 PM
Aranis nods. "Ready."

Nox Lupus
2011-02-14, 05:11 PM
Tobias begins to gather the burning, divine energies within himself when a thought occurs to him. "...I know stealth is not this group's strong suit, but did anyone care to scout ahead before I announce our presence to anyone or anything below?":smallconfused:

Having seen that Virgil is a man of many talents, Tobias thought that this crypt might require a more delicate touch than his own... might being the operative word, :smallamused:

CockroachTeaParty
2011-02-14, 09:34 PM
Virgil folds his arm and taps a finger on his chin.
"I fancy myself a decent sneak. I could scout ahead, but there are many dangers I'd face. Granted, this is how I typically work, but my biggest concern is if I'd need to get in contact with you, my options would be limited. If we lack magical communication methods, we could operate under a time buffer; give me, say, twenty minutes, and if I'm not back by then, the rest of the group presses forwards, ideally to locate me and either help me, or prevent my corpse from being tampered with."
He says all this matter-of-factly, as if the thought of his demise does not perturb him.

Fuzzies
2011-02-14, 10:39 PM
Jacelyn looked at Aditu for a moment, and an unspoken word passed between them. Then, Jacelyn looked at Virgil and said "We have a better plan. Aditu can go with you, ride on your shoulder. She can empathically report back to me a signal to either come join you, or rescue you. If you need to relay more detailed messages, her flight and natural stealth will serve us well."

The normally quiet ice mephit spoke up "And I can be of other use as well, seeing as I have more brains than a bat or rat, or any of those other creatures you might be familiar with." She grinned.

Assuming Virgil consents, Aditu will fly over and land on his shoulder.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-02-16, 04:09 PM
Virgil nods. The mephit lands on his shoulder, bringing with it a strangely cool feeling, as if the air around him dropped several degrees in temperature.
"Sounds like a plan. I'll do a preliminary scouting run of the place, and let you know what I find out."

With that, he proceeds to the stairs, removing the wand from his belt and applying the tip to his temple before descending...

Activating the wand of Darkvision for some night-vision action.

Moving at half speed, and taking 10 on Move Silently and Hide, that will get Virgil a 31 and a 28, respectively.

Proceed to scouting!

Firebeard
2011-02-18, 12:55 PM
Virgil, with Aditu on his shoulder, slowly moved down the darkened stairs. The staircase went a lot further than he would have expected, sending them some 60 feet below ground. Every step was made with caution, and every hand placement carefully evaluated before the factotem moved on. This was exploring and dungeoneering the way that he preferred it, and he was good at it...so very good.

Nearing the bottom step, Virgil focused his attentions on the steps, knowing that if there was to be a trap it would likely be on the last steps or the place just past the stairs. Keeping a wary eye out on the room beyond, he searched the bottom of the stairwell. Smiling in satisfaction, he found the triggering mechanism on the second step up. His smile turned to a grim expression though, as he realized that he had no clue exactly what kind of trap the trigger initiated.

His head snapped up suddenly as he heard in the room beyond a skittering noise, as if from hundreds of insectile legs on stone.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-02-19, 03:23 PM
Virgil whispers softly to the mephit on his shoulder.
"...See if you can find out what's making that noise. I'll try and remedy the stairway situation."
With that, he carefully unrolls his set of masterwork thieves' tools, and begins to carefully examine the trapped stairwell for any mechanisms or magic sensors to disable.

Spending an Inspiration Point on Cunning Knowledge, Disable Device check:
[roll0]
Could take up to [roll1] rounds.

Firebeard
2011-02-21, 10:02 AM
Quietly Aditu leaped from Virgil's shoulder, her wings flapping almost soundlessly to keep her in the air. She flew over the trapped step, near the wall, and peeked out into the room beyond. She sees a long room spotted with alcoves to the left and right. Within the closest alcove on the left, where the noise is coming from, she can see red eyes burning bright. The rotting corpse of a minotaur contains those eyes, and a veritable carpet of centipedes crawls over its rotting flesh. The mephit stares at the sight for a moment before she realizes that the monster's glowing eyes were fixed directly on her, and had been since she flew to her scouting position. She carefully and slowly flew back to Jonathan and quickly let him know what she had seen.

adamantite
2011-02-21, 10:19 AM
Fretting, Halvir slowly bangs his axe on his leg as he waits for word from Virgil. Realizing what he is doing, he quickly stops and grounds his axe, leaning on it for support until the others return or call for aid.

Fuzzies
2011-02-22, 01:55 PM
Jacelyn felt Aditu's heightened emotions and immediately became worried "They are in danger! There's something down there that just scared the ice out of Aditu!" She began to move towards the stairs, not knowing whether to go in with magic blazing, or to creep quietly as she could.

Nox Lupus
2011-02-24, 09:36 AM
Having waited to act far longer than was in his nature to do, Tobias begins to move down the stairs, ready to roast anything that looked less than alive...

"Lets go then..."

Firebeard
2011-02-24, 12:45 PM
Around Virgil, centipedes begin to pour from tiny holes in the walls and the ceiling above. The factotem takes several small stings before he is able to stand from his work on the trapped step. Aditu gives a little shriek as several of the centipedes falling from the ceiling land on her and bite through her magical skin.

Aditu takes 2 damage

Virgil takes 2 damage

Both Aditu and Virgil need to make me some Fort saves.

Initiative rolls:
monsters: [roll6]

Round 1 initiatives...

Virgil: 23
Jacelyn: 22
Aditu: 20
monsters: 19
Aranis: 18
Halvir: 11
Tobias: 4

Everyone but Virgil and Aditu are at the top of a 120 ft long straight stairway. Virgil and Aditu are at the bottom.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-02-24, 03:37 PM
Well, this place certainly didn't waste any time.
Brushing off biting centipedes from his shoulders, Virgil stands, and begins hustling back up the stairwell.
"Aditu! We're leaving!"
Virgil cursed under his breath as he remembered he was out of acid or alchemist's fire, the preferred weapons against swarms. Had he brought any with him to the island? Had he used it already? It was difficult to remember, especially when his body was fighting off poison...

Double move back up the stairwell.
Spending an IP on the Fort. save: [roll0]

Fuzzies
2011-02-28, 08:01 AM
"Aditu, we're coming!" called Jacelyn as she ran down the stairs towards her familiar. She could feel the pain her familiar was feeling, though she didn't yet know the cause.

double move down the stairs.

Fort for aditu [roll0]

Nox Lupus
2011-02-28, 09:34 AM
At the first sign of a clear shot on... whatever is threatening his allies, Tobias thrusts out his hand and causes the floor/stairs to erupt in flames.

Fiery Burst
Damage- [roll0]

Firebeard
2011-03-01, 12:27 PM
As Aditu and Virgil move up the stairs, the swarm of centipedes withdraws. The shuffling footsteps can still be heard from the room at the bottom of the stairs, but nothing appears to be pursuing you at the moment.

Still in initiative rounds. Anyone doing anything else in round 1?

adamantite
2011-03-01, 01:42 PM
Halvir follows Jacelyn down the stairs, axe raised in preparation to defend her from any attacks.

Firebeard
2011-03-03, 08:42 AM
As Aditu and Virgil flew up the stairs - quite literally for the pained mephit - the others came thundering down the stone steps towards them. They met in the middle, Jacelyn and Tobias holding spells ready to devastate anything pursuing the others up the stairs. Nothing came. They could still hear the skittering noises in the dark distance, but nothing approached within their vision.

At this point, I think only Virgil and Aranis have darkvision (60'). Did someone else pull out a torch, or are the rest of you relying on the dwindling ambient light from above? If you pulled a light source, answer me in the OOC thread. It's important.

Nox Lupus
2011-03-03, 09:11 AM
With his allies now safely next to (or past him) Tobias unleashes a gout of flame...

@GM

15' down the stairs... see previous post for damage.

Firebeard
2011-03-04, 08:09 AM
Tobias released a gout of flame down the stairs. The stone steps were lit up by the bright flash of fire, showing an empty stairwell before the flames faded. The bright flash ruined everyone's sight in the dim light, causing the companions to blink furiously to clear the spots from their eyes. Stretching out all of their senses, the companions tried to discern any sign of pursuit up the stairs, but none seemed apparent. Aranis even concentrated on signs of evil in the area, and though he got a sense of lingering evil all around him, nothing specific showed itself.

Nox Lupus
2011-03-04, 01:54 PM
Not taking his eyes away from the stairs below, Tobias asks
"What happened?" :smallannoyed:

adamantite
2011-03-04, 04:36 PM
The dwarf listened to Aditu and Virgil's explanations and then said "Well, what now? We obviously aren't going to be surprising anyone, so I say we charge down these stairs and let whatever we find know we ain't happy."

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-05, 02:40 PM
Virgil glances back down the stairwell, his brow furrowed.
"I'm ill-equipped to be fighting swarms of tiny creatures. I thought I had some back up alchemical weapons, but I appear to be out... I haven't had regular access to shops or restocking opportunities... I'm afraid my usefulness in such a fight is limited. To make matters more complicated, one of the steps down there is trapped with some manner of pressure plate. I'm not sure if I was able to disable it, and if we're heading into a fight, I'm not sure if I'll be able to remember which one was the trapped one in time... should have marked it with chalk, but again, I was in haste. If we're heading back down, I'd probably be best in the back, and let those more capable remedy the situation."

Nox Lupus
2011-03-07, 02:12 PM
"Perhaps then, if you lead the way and rediscover the trap, we will cover you." Tobias steps to the side to allow Virgil to take the lead back down the stairs.

Fuzzies
2011-03-07, 02:28 PM
"The trap was on the second step up from the bottom." said Aditu with a wince. The mephit's wing had sustained a nasty bit from one of the centipedes, which made flight difficult. "I was watching carefully. In the room below, before the centipedes came, there was a large figure with glowing eyes that found me out even before I entered the room. It knew I was coming and was watching for my entrance."

adamantite
2011-03-08, 08:13 AM
"Alright, then. Me and Aranis in the lead, axe and sword blazing. Tobias and Jacelyn behind to provide the spells necessary to combat swarms, and Virgil in the rear with his bow. Perhaps someone could throw up a light for those what can't see in the dark. Sound like a plan?"

Assuming the others agree

Halvir took up his glowing axe and walked resolutely forward down the steps, keeping his dark-accustomed eyes scanning the stairwell for any signs of an enemy, swarm or not.

Fuzzies
2011-03-08, 11:10 AM
Jacelyn took her waterskin from her bag and poured a bit into her hand. "Sounds like a plan indeed, Halvir. Aditu, why don't you rest on my shoulder for a minute and hold this?" She concentrated a moment and the water in her hand became a block of ice. The mephit eagerly grabbed at the ice and held it soothingly to her wounded wing.

prestidigitation to create the ice. While touching the ice, Aditu gains fast healing 2.

Firebeard
2011-03-08, 10:12 PM
From below, you hear the shuffling footsteps again and Halvir sees a shape moving at the foot of the stairs. A sharp click echoes up the stone stairwell. You have just enough time to look at each other before the stairs beneath your feet flatten in a steep ramp, leading down to the room below. You each stumble, Aranis and Tobias falling to the knees, but remain relatively upright.

At least, until the floor suddenly became coated in a thin layer of a greasy substance. Immediately, the five people began to slide down. Aditu, with a slight advantage over the bipedal humans, elves, and dwarf, took to the air, dropping the piece of ice she was holding. Virgil managed to keep his feet, though he began sliding like the rest, taking small stuttering steps to keep his balance.

The others rolled, bounced, and slid down the slippery ramp. For those without the ability to see in darkness, it was a terrifying few seconds, as the unending tumbles disoriented and bruised them with no way of knowing which way was up. Down was easy. The problem was the spinning kept making down seem to change. Finally,the companions exited the chute in a tumble, falling over each other and getting bruised more from their companions' armor than from the stone floor and walls.

Virgil was doing good, managing to keep his feet all the way down the chute until he reached the bottom. He immediately cast his prepared Featherfall spell and slowly glided down the chute to the bottom, where he surveyed his fallen friends in part amusement and part concern.

It would be a good time for anyone to lay there for a few minutes, catching their breath and trying to reorient themselves, however the five companions - Aditu still flying down the shaft towards them - didn't have that luxury. The shuffling footsteps were all around them now, as were the skittering of thousands of chitinous feet - centipede feet.

Everyone takes [roll0] falling damage before DR.

Everyone is prone, except for Virgil, who also takes no falling damage.

Jacelyn and Aranis are disarmed, having dropped their weapons in the sprawl at the foot of the chute. Tobias' weapon is still clipped to his belt, and the dwarf still holds his glowing axe, having somehow both retained the weapon and avoided cutting anyone's arm off with it in the process.

Initiative rolls...

Aranis: [roll1]
Tobias: [roll2]
Jacelyn: [roll3]
Aditu: [roll4]
Virgil: [roll5]
Halvir: [roll6]
monsters: [roll7]

Round 1 initiatives:

Jacelyn: 23
Virgil: 20
Aditu: 19
Tobias: 14
Halvir: 9
Aranis: 6
monsters: 0

Post your reactions to the trap and the sudden stop at the end now and I'll get the combat map up in the morning.

Nox Lupus
2011-03-08, 10:50 PM
Remembering the last time he lit up the dark suddenly, Tobias speaks as he attempts to get up. "Can anyone see? What is that noise?"

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-08, 11:00 PM
Stupid, stupid, stupid. Why did we stop to chat on the trapped stairs?
Wait... it wouldn't make sense to make a chute trap at the bottom, unless that was the whole point...
As the group plummets through the darkness, Virgil floats down, gentle as a feather, landing deftly on his feet.
"I can see... Give me but a moment..."
He starts to quickly reach into his magical haversack, drawing a hooded lantern, a pint of oil, and a tindertwig...

I had Feather Fall prepared! Virgil is not prone, and takes no damage! Yes?

Firebeard
2011-03-09, 08:06 AM
@CTP

Prepared, but not readied. Unless you had a way to cast it as a swift action, you had no time to cast it before you started sliding, and no concentration to do so afterward. Of course, if you have a way to cast it as a swift action, by all means.

adamantite
2011-03-09, 08:24 AM
Cursing the whole way, Halvir thumped, bumped, and rolled down the chute. He clutched his axe tightly, the glowing relic giving just enough light to clearly see the walls flashing by. As he hit the ground, Halvir gave a great 'umph' and rolled to his back, trying not to hit anyone with his enchanted axe. He lay there for just a moment before realizing the sounds around them.

Firebeard
2011-03-09, 12:52 PM
If you have darkvision...

You see yourself in an oddly shaped room, with columns holding up a vaulted ceiling. Alcoves to the right and left hold statues, but that's not what you are focused on at the moment. Immediately before you stands a hulking beast, a rotting corpse the size of an ogre, with bull's horns on its head. The skin of the rotting creature seemed to bulge and twist weirdly, and there were centipedes crawling all over it. In the distance, you can make out a second of the creatures turning your way.

here is the map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/undergroundEntrance.png) It is only valid for darkvision 60' or more. The chute you fell down is to the top (north) of the map.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-09, 01:52 PM
Striking the tindertwig against the base of the lantern, Virgil offers some light to his companions, not that the view is particularly pleasant.

Move action: draw lantern from haversack.
Standard action: light lantern with tindertwig; 30 ft. bright, 60 ft. shadowy
5 foot step one square north.

Firebeard
2011-03-10, 08:33 AM
And with Virgil's action, everyone can now see the room.

Here is the map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/undergroundEntrance1a.png)

@Virgil - You can't 5' to the north because that's the last square of the greased chute.

Nox Lupus
2011-03-10, 10:13 AM
"Holy Flame! :smalleek:" Tobias exclaims. He gets to his feet as quickly as he can. Tobias searches his mind for how best to flambe these abominations... he decides to test their mettle first...

@GM

Move action: Get up
Standard- Fiery Burst on nearest minotaur-thing: [roll0]

Fuzzies
2011-03-10, 11:30 AM
Jacelyn groaned at the pain in her lower back and straitened her robe where it had hiked up her legs during the fall. Her head swam, and she could almost swear that Halvir's glowing axe had split in two. She closed her eyes for a few seconds and reopened them to find Virgil's lamp lit, and monsters all about them. Gasping, she got up on one knee and sent an orb of electrical fire flying straight at the nearest undead creature.

Move action to sit up and get to one knee.

ranged touch: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

adamantite
2011-03-10, 01:04 PM
Halvir took one gauntleted hand and banged his helmet back in place before getting a good look at the monsters facing them. The dwarf leaped to his feet and brandished his glowing axe. He moved up next to Aranis and stood in defiance of these foul creatures.

Can I make a K. religion check? [roll0]

move to D6.

Firebeard
2011-03-10, 02:13 PM
The area lit up once again as Tobias and Jacelyn both threw spells at the monstrosity nearest them. the air filled with an actinic smoke as the spells slammed into the undead minotaur. The beast rocked back a bit, but otherwise seemed to ignore the damage that would have felled other beings.

Aranis groped for his weapon on the ground, earning himself a nasty slam on the shoulder from the undead minotaur. As the thing's foot slammed into him, a dozen or more centipedes fell from it onto Aranis. The arthropods quickly found crevices in his armor and began to sting. Aranis twitched the pain away, and stood to do battle with the beast.

The minotaur complied, throwing out a fist the size of a large brisket at the knight. Aranis turned it with his magnificent sword, but the blow still clipped the knight, sending more centipedes to crawl onto him.

From the distance, a second minotaur lurched into view, making its way directly towards Halvir.

Aranis takes 21 damage after DR. He needs to make 2 fort saves (automatically passes).

Round 2 initiatives:

Here is the updated map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/undergroundEntrance1b.png)

Edit: please don't heal the hero I am trying to kill off... unless you want me to get really creative.

Nox Lupus
2011-03-10, 03:04 PM
"Alright you ugly, horned, sack of flesh..." Tobias says as he side steps and thrusts out his gauntleted hand again, causing another gout of flame to erupt from under the Minotaur.

@GM

5' to C5
Fiery Burst- [roll0]
Edit- same one as before

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-10, 06:21 PM
Virgil takes a step back, dropping the lantern on the ground and drawing his bow. He fires a tentative shot, seeing if they resist the piercing bite of a raptor arrow.

5 foot step to D3.
CUNNING SURGE: extra move action: drop lantern carefully like a newborn baby with BONES MADE OF GLASS :smallfurious:.
Move action: draw bow.
Standard action: fire at whatever minotaur is more injured.
Attack: [roll0]

Fuzzies
2011-03-11, 07:16 AM
Jacelyn shuddered as she saw the monstrosities before them. The centipedes crawling all over the creatures gave her the shivers and she wished she had prepared her burning hands spells this morning to have a good way of cleaning up the multi-legged critters. Nonetheless, she fell into a chant of arcane magics, holding her palm up high over her front line companions. Speaking the final words "Gervinas harjuth!" she let fly the last of her scorching rays.

scorching ray, 1 at each of them.

ranged touch at F7: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

ranged touch at C7: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

adamantite
2011-03-11, 09:20 AM
Halvir looked up at the giant creature and grinned. Gripping his axe tightly, he raised his shield to ward off any blows from above and began hacking ferociously at the thing's leg. The axe whistled through the air, drawn to the undead beast by the enchantment on it, and digging viciously deep when it struck.

Chopping down a tree
hit [roll0]
damage [roll1] + [roll2]

hit [roll3]
damage [roll4] + [roll5]

Firebeard
2011-03-11, 01:10 PM
Virgil's lightning fast actions made it seem like he was in two places at once, quickly setting the lantern down, drawing his bow, and letting fly an arrow in a sequence as smooth and quick as any elven bowmaster. The arrow hit the closest minotaur solidly and flew clean through the hollowed out cavity of its chest, doing little actual damage.

More spells flew in at the closest minotaur as both Tobias and Jacelyn let loose. Each of Jacelyn's rays hit its target and both caused severe damage, sending chunk of crisp undead flesh and charred centipedes to litter the ground about both targets. Tobias' burst of fire roasted more of the critters and sent the monster staggering backwards slightly.

Aranis took advantage of the minotaur's distraction to land a solid blow under its left arm, taking the limb off in a spray of ichor and centipedes. His second blow missed as the monster, not bothered at all about its missing arm, lashed out with a heavy blow that sent Aranis dodging to the side.

Halvir worked on his opponent's leg like a lumberjack, hacking away at the thing's thigh. The right leg of the beast finally sheared away, and the thing wobbled. It waved its arms for balance, and the right one clipped the dwarf solidly on the shoulder, bruising the flesh beneath and sending a spray of stinging centipedes into Halvir's face.

Halvir takes 6 damage and 4 damage, and needs to make me a Fort save.

Round 3 initiatives:

Here is the updated map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/undergroundEntrance1c.png)

The minotaur in F7 is looking ragged, with burns, holes, and its left arm missing.
The mino in C7 isn't much better, wobbling on only one leg.

Fuzzies
2011-03-14, 07:18 AM
Jacelyn winced as Halvir took the minotaur's leg off and then took a heavy blow to his head, but the dwarf was stout and could take a few little dings like that. Seeing the condition of the creatures, she immediately stopped forming one of her most powerful spells, in favor of the glove and arrow. At the last minute, however, she recalled that Virgil's arrow had gone right through his target without doing much damage, so instead she chose to bend over and reclaim her staff from the ground. You never know when a little lightning might come is useful.

As she stood back up, Aditu came to rest on her shoulder once more.

Nox Lupus
2011-03-14, 07:52 AM
Not willing to let up on the onslaught, Tobias lets loose another burst of flame...

@GM

Still from C5, :smallwink:
Fiery Burst- [roll0]

adamantite
2011-03-15, 07:59 AM
Halvir staggered a bit as the minotaur hit him, then came back up with his axe flashing.

Chopping down a tree
hit [roll0]
damage [roll1] + [roll2]

hit [roll3]
damage [roll4] + [roll5]

Firebeard
2011-03-16, 07:35 AM
As Jacelyn bent to pick up her fallen staff, Tobias threw yet another gout of flame at the already crispy minotaur zombie. The flames licked deep into the thing's chest, and the tortured skin cracked and burst apart. The minotaur crumpled to the ground, centipedes swarming all over the body as it came to rest.

A few feet over, Halvir ripped into the beast he was fighting with a vicious backhand blow, severing the other leg. As the beast fell, the dwarf reversed his axe and slammed it forward, driving it deeply into the thing's skull, right between the horns. Halvir yanked several times, trying to free his axe, grinning in triumph. His grin faded, though, as thousands of centipedes burst from the body cavity of the corpse, forming an enormous swarm of writhing, stinging bodies.

The swarms immediately rolled over the companions, biting, stinging, and generally causing pain and mayhem as the companions strove to get away from the millions of legs and thousands of pairs of biting mandibles.

Everyone takes [roll0] of swarm damage before any DR. If you take damage, give me a Fort save to resist the poison.

Also, at the start of your turn, you'll need a fort save DC13 to avoid the nausea.

Round 4 initiatives:

Here is the updated map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/undergroundEntrance1d.png)

Nox Lupus
2011-03-16, 07:43 AM
@GM

Fort save- [roll0]
...assuming I get past the Con dmg and nausea...(if not then I hold)
Casting- Balor Nimbus

BALOR NIMBUS- dmg [roll1]
Transmutation
Level: Abyss 4, Cleric 2, sorcerer/wizard 2
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
You smash the soot against your flesh and intone the ancient, dark words. Like the legendary balor, your body bursts into lurid flames. The flames created by this spell do not harm you or any equipment you carry or wear. Each round, the flames deal 6d6 points of fire damage to any creature grappling you (or any creature you grapple) on your turn.

Concentration Check- [roll2]
Edit: Since casting would provoke an AoO from the swarm I guess they get to deal more dmg to me and thats what the Concen chk goes against... just my thoughts.

A brief flash of horror passes over Tobias' face. Steeling his resolve, he clenches his gauntleted hand (crushing a few bugs in the process) and attempts to focus his mind... and begins to chant a long, dark string of syllables.

Firebeard
2011-03-16, 08:30 AM
@Tobias

Swarms never make AoOs. They can provoke them (which they should have done when they moved into all of your spaces, but since centipede swarms are immune to weapon damage, I didn't bother), but they can't make them.

Edit: I have decided that Balor's nimbus will do half damage to the swarm, since you are technically not grappling, but they are moving over your legs and such.

Fuzzies
2011-03-16, 08:42 AM
Jacelyn shrieked as the centipedes came crawling towards her, climbing her robe and her exposed legs underneath. The biting pain on her legs was very distracting and the sheer terror she felt for these arthropods was much stronger than against any of the undead they had fought. In a shaky voice she called, "Everyone get out of the way", as she scrambled out away from the swarm. A ball of frosty energy bgan to glow in her hand and the air around her crystallized into a soothing mist as she drew the heat from it. She tried to call arcane energies to mind to smash the things into so much goo, but the memories of those pinching, prickling chitinous legs crawling up inside her robes had her reeling with nausea.

Moving to E7, readying to cast scintillating sphere as soon as everyone is clear of the swarms. gagging and retching at the thought of the centipedes up her robes.

Nox Lupus
2011-03-16, 08:57 AM
As Jacelyn's spell fizzles, Tobias' body erupts into lurid flames, which illuminate room as they send centipede bodies up in ash. Tobias begins to slowly advance into the swarm. He pauses briefly before making a decision. With a nod to himself, tobias lays down, offering himself to the swarm in order to destroy it.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-16, 02:34 PM
First Fort. save vs. poison? [roll0]
Second save vs. nausea, spending last IP: [roll1]

Brushing off centipedes left and right, Virgil makes a dash away from the swarm, hoping his more magically-inclined allies can destroy the threat; he knows he is essentially of no use now.

Fuzzies
2011-03-16, 10:04 PM
Jacelyn took her staff in hand and angled it carefully. She spoke the words of activation, and a lightning bolt blasted forth, narrowly missing both Aranis and Tobias as it blasted into the two swarms.

Since I can't tell where anyone is, I'll just try and angle it to not hit anyone and get both swarms if I can. If need be, I can hold that action until someone is out of the way.

Damage: 5d6 x2 vs the swarm.

adamantite
2011-03-17, 01:50 PM
Halvir, shrugged off the mass of centipedes, and forced his way out of the pile using his shield to plow a furrow clear for him to walk through. He mostly ignored the stinging, biting creatures, but every now and then one bit down on a particularly tender area, causing the dwarf to wince and slap himself hard to crush the unfortunate centipede. Once clear of the pile, he called out "Okay lass, light 'em up."

Firebeard
2011-03-17, 02:56 PM
Halvir, Virgil, and Aranis came stumbling out of the mass of centipedes just as Tobias' spell turns him into a living torch. Casting himself onto the ground amid the swarms, Tobias offered himself to the creatures in order to burn them. Even though the heat from the flames pushed the centipedes back from the man, their numbers were too great to allow them to escape entirely. Chitin blackened and crisped, and tinny squeals of pain and pressurized juices escaping from chitinous bodies filled the air.

Jacelyn regained her composure and concentrated this time, not on a frosty ball of exploding destruction, but on the staff in her hands. A line of electricity shot from her staff straight into the writhing mass of centipedes. The electrical surge blasted the masses apart and just barely missed Tobias, who was still rolling back and forth on the floor in an attempt to burn as many of the arthropods as he could. The electrical discharges arced from tiny form to tiny form, destroying hundreds of the creatures, and sending many more flying apart to scatter all over the room.

The combination of fire and lightning worked to disperse the swarms, leaving a thousand or more shattered and burning husks on the ground around Tobias. The fire priest looked around him at the damage they had wrought and smiled to himself. Reluctantly, he let the fires die out and returned to his normal form.

Aranis, bleeding from the wounds he had taken from the undead minotaur and with dozens of bite marks on his face and arms from the centipedes, raised his sword arm in victory. Seeing a movement in the shadows behind him, Jacelyn called out a warning. The elf knight turned to see what had concerned her just in time to catch a ball of purple-black eldritch fire right in the face. The ball of energy tore the knight's formerly good looking face apart, shattering bones and melting away flesh. His armor clanged loudly in the sudden silence as his body hit the stone floor.

Okay, Aranis has left us after great battles and much thoughtful conversation.

Lvl 8s get 600XP, Lvl 7s get 700XP.

Shelve your grief, you have another enemy at hand, out of sight to the South.

Nox Lupus
2011-03-17, 03:11 PM
"Now thats my kind of stop,drop, and roll..." Tobias' inner musing is abruptly halted as Aranis' body thuds hard on the ground.

Tobias simply stares at the fallen Elf, not entirely certain how to react...

Fuzzies
2011-03-17, 03:46 PM
"Aranis! Nooooooooooooooo!" Jacelyn screamed as she watched the elf hit by the ball of energy. In her anger and grief, she didn't hesitate, didn't stop to think about what she was doing. The spell that had been foremost on her mind when the centipedes swarmed them now flared anew. A pea-sized ball of blue-white energy thrummed with cold as she hurled it down the hallway. She didn't know where the attacker might be, or even if they were still around, but she knew the relative distances of such blasts of eldritch energy and placed her spell accordingly.

Scintillating sphere go boom about 50 feet down the hallway.
[roll0] damage, DC20 Ref for half

Firebeard
2011-03-18, 12:43 PM
As the others started forward, Virgil noticed a crumpled form down the hallway. He couldn't quite make out from the mist and steam rising from the very stones, but it looked like it might be the male caster from outside the mausoleum.

adamantite
2011-03-21, 08:22 AM
Halvir grips his axe tightly and raises his shield defensively as he stalks down the room towards the passage where Aranis' killer had to be lurking. Jacelyn's explosive spell nearly knocked him off his feet, but the dwarf held his ground and continued to press on. He could understand the half-elf's grief, as he had found the knight to be enjoyable company in their short time together on the island, and he understood that the two were the only survivors of the original party sent to this island. He let all that fall behind them though, as he approached where the assassin had to be hiding in the darkness, his dwarven eyes easily piercing the dark.

Firebeard
2011-03-21, 09:58 AM
Halvir encounters no resistance as he moves towards the body that Virgil saw. The dwarf scanned th halls with his darkvision, but saw no sign of the female caster. Reaching the downed figure, the dwarf checked to ensure that it was truly dead before gesturing back to his companions. He could see that he was in a lengthened octagonal room with doors on the walls to both left and right.

Okay, decision time. Do you grieve? Move forward in righteous fury? Back out? Something else? I think a day of RP might be in order, especially as there is nothing immediately threatening you.

Nox Lupus
2011-03-21, 11:51 AM
Tobias stands next to Aranis. While he had traveled with the elf since his rescue several days ago, it was not hisplace to do or say anything in regard to the body. All he could right then was make sure this hive of undead had no untold effect upon what remained of their ally...:smallfrown:

adamantite
2011-03-21, 12:41 PM
Halvir ensured that the body on the ground was truly dead in typical dwarven fashion - he cut off its head. Then, he checked the room for further danger before returning to his companions. From their limited discussions earlier, he knew that the other cleric hadn't been traveling long with the sun elf, so it was not surprising that he had little to say in the matter of the elf's death. Likewise, it was just as obvious that Jacelyn had spent a goodly amount of time with him, and her grief was as apparent as fireworks on a dark night.

Having little to say himself, he helped arrange the knight's body in a state more fitting his station and honor. In a limited resource situation like they had on this island, looting your dead companions is only considered logical, but the dwarf still had no taste for it. He decided to wait until Jacelyn's grief had spent itself, since they weren't under immediate threat, and then he would only take what they needed for survival. He imagined that the fire priest could handle the cremation of the body and all its gear - but he intended to have a talk with that one about the ceremony beforehand.

Fuzzies
2011-03-21, 02:26 PM
As Halvir returns and describes the room beyond, Jacelyn drops to her knees beside Aranis and cradles his destroyed head in her lap. She cries unabashedly, tears falling from her nose and chin to land on Aranis' upturned face. She had grown quite close to the elf in the last few weeks, and his loss hurt her far more than that of the others in their group. First Lorus and Daenir had died in that wretched village. Then, Solas and Jonathan had died in the temple and Alliston had left them. It was almost too much for her to bear. Looking down at the once-handsome features, now in ruin, she couldn't help but despair.

She sat there for a few moments, shuddering with sobs she knew they couldn't really afford, holding the body of he who had become a close friend amidst the standoffish Jonathan and the naive Alliston. After what seemed like hours, but was probably only a few minutes, she felt the encircling arms of Aditu around her neck and realized that the mephit had probably been hugging her tightly for a while. With tear-rimmed eyes she looked up to see Tobias and Halvir standing nearby, giving her her space.

Jacelyn reached down and picked Aranis' greatsword up from the ground. It took both hands for her to lift, and there was no way she could wield the thing in battle, but she held onto it nonetheless. With difficulty, she shoved it into Aranis' haversack and slung the pack onto her own shoulders. To the others, she said "This sword was a family heirloom and he treasured it more than his life. When we return, I will make it my business to return it to his family. As for the rest of his things, burn them or take them, I don't care, but I am NOT leaving his body here to be savaged or used for some unholy purpose. Tobias, do you think you can cremate him in his armor? And none of that nonsense about Kossuth's glory when you do it. He was a follower of the Seldarine and only they should receive the commendation of his spirit."

Nox Lupus
2011-03-21, 03:15 PM
Emotionally numbed to the insult to his faith, Tobias nods at Jacelyn's request. "Lets make haste and take what will help to keep us alive and strong in here. We will not serve his memory well by dying becaus we refused to be practical." Tobias and whoever else, remove from aranis all items of value, magical or otherwise. Once satisfied, Tobias hold out both hands and causes burst after fiery burst to erupt from the cold stone until nothing but ashes remained of the elf.

"Farewell elf, where ever your soul fares" He thinks to himself.

Fuzzies
2011-03-22, 03:00 PM
Jacelyn turns away as Tobias and Halvir strip the body of its useful items, only turning back to plead with them to leave him his armor. She does turn back to face him fully though as Tobias burns the corpse. She could witness his funeral even if that was all that she could do for him now. When it was all over, she gripped her staff with one hand, and pulled out the extension rod with the other. A searing blue-white light appeared on the head of the staff, glowing like a lantern, but with a steady light. "Let's go" was all she said, and gestured for the others to lead on into the darkness.

Firebeard
2011-03-23, 07:52 AM
Virgil picks up his lantern and douses it once again as Jacelyn lights up her staff. The group takes one last look at the ashes of their companion and friend before moving off into the complex, anger driving them to punish the one responsible for Aranis' death. They stop at the beheaded warlock's corpse and pull from it a number of useful items.

In the octagonal room, you are faced with two exits, wooden doors banded by iron and locked.

For loot, you pick up

Nice looking light mace
very nice chain shirt, with no rusting at all
2 potions of cure moderate wounds
134gp
1 bitter smelling purple potion

Here is the room that you see (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/undergroundRoom1.png)

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-23, 02:26 PM
Virgil remains quiet, his face a mask. Since the day he had stepped down his chosen path, he knew the risks involved, and had made piece with that fact long ago. Nevertheless, it was always jarring to see someone lost. He had not known Aranis very long, but he fought well, and seemed a good soul. A nagging doubt once again wriggled in the back of his mind; so many people had died since he had joined the group... was he bringing with him some terrible luck?

adamantite
2011-03-24, 12:06 PM
Halvir hefted his axe in one hand and motioned at the doors. "So, which way? And do we let Virgil go in all quiet like, or should I use me axe and be a little faster about it?"

Fuzzies
2011-03-25, 08:18 AM
"It does not matter which door we go through, as I intend to scour this entire place with fire and ice. As for how you open it, it does not matter..." Jacelyn stopped to consider her words for a moment. "No, it does matter. We will not serve Aranis or ourselves if we rush heedless into danger and get ourselves killed in the process. Let the living honor the dead in their living. So, I guess it is the quit way for now. though, if you can open the door quietly with that axe of yours, feel free."

adamantite
2011-03-27, 01:32 PM
Halvir looked at Virgil, then at the others. When no one gave any hints of making a decision, he walked to the western door, whispered "shhh" to his axe, then slammed it into the part of the door where the lock was, the adamantine blade easily carving through wood and metal.

Fuzzies
2011-03-28, 11:46 AM
Wryly, the mage smiled at the dwarf, shaking her head in bemusement at his antics.

Firebeard
2011-03-28, 03:39 PM
The door opens to show a long corridor running South. A few feet down the corridor is another door to the west. There are no immediate signs of danger.

adamantite
2011-03-30, 11:49 AM
Axe and shield readied, Halvir sticks his head further into the corridor and peers down it, hoping to see anything that might indicate that this was the right path.

Firebeard
2011-03-31, 07:28 AM
Looking down the hall, Halvir can see that th hallway continues south beyond his darkvision range, with the only break in the worked stone walls a wooden door about 10 feet down on the right. He can hear a light noise, sounding like a flock of birds maybe, coming from the area of the door.

adamantite
2011-03-31, 01:25 PM
"There be a hallway heading down this way. Only one room off the side nearby. Sounds like whatever is in there is making a huge noise."

Fuzzies
2011-03-31, 02:30 PM
Considering, Jacelyn said "Lead on then, Halvir. We are right behind you. Although make you you let Virgil check for traps before you go banging through doors again. He's the intrusion expert here, after all." That said, Jacelyn prepared herself for whatever came next. She was running low on spells, with the near constant fighting, but had enough big bangs in reserve to handle anything truly ugly. She would just have to limit herself to minor magics and items until then. "Tobias? Virgil? You ready?"

Nox Lupus
2011-03-31, 02:31 PM
Tobias nods

adamantite
2011-04-01, 10:12 AM
Halvir readies his axe and shield again and, with Virgil at his side checking for traps, moves cautiously down the corridor to the nearest door. he waits for Virgil to check the door over for traps and locks, then when the man gives the all-clear, Halvir kicks the door open.

Firebeard
2011-04-01, 11:30 AM
Virgil inspects and unlocks the door, then steps back and nods at Halvir. The dwarf planted a steel-clad boot onto the unlocked door, which flung open. Everyone immediately felt the need to cover their ears as a cacophony of voices assaulted them. The voices ranged in pitch and timbre across the entire audible spectrum, and sounded as if a hundred people can been crammed into the room, each speaking a different dialect.

In fact, all of the sounds came from a shapeless mass slumped in a far corner of the room. Eyes, mouths, and tentacles sprouted all over it, including one great mouth that was determinedly sucking on what appeared to be a giant bone of some kind. Skeletal remnants were strewn all across the room, looking thoroughly shattered and completely devoid of any organic material at all. As you take this in, a large tentacle raised itself over the dark, writhing mass and turns to peer at you with one enormous eye.

Everyone owes me a will save! (i'll make CTP's on the assumption that he isn't available yet.)

Initiative rolls...

Tobias: [roll0]
Jacelyn: [roll1]
Aditu: [roll2]
Virgil: [roll3]
Halvir: [roll4]
monster: [roll5]

round 1 initiatives (do not post until we resolve your Will saves)

Tobias: 17
monster: 14
Virgil: 12
Aditu: 12
Jacelyn: 12
Halvir: 10

Here is the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/gibberingRoom1a.png)

Nox Lupus
2011-04-02, 08:00 AM
Ignan

"Kossuth! He who is the well-spring of all flame, let forth your spark and veil what is before me in your purifying flame!
Tobias chants. Presenting his holy symbol, a wall of flame erupts in the room beyond.

@GM

Vertically through column D, w/heat projecting towards the mouther...
Wall of Fire-
Dmg in the Wall- [roll0]
Dmg out to 10'- [roll1]*
Dmg from 10' out to 20'- [roll2]

*- What the mouther we can see should take immediately.

Firebeard
2011-04-02, 11:36 AM
The amorphous blob came hurtling through Tobias' wall of fire, hissing and sizzling. Many of its eyes burst from the intense heat, and more than one mouth was seared closed, but it still had plenty to attack with. Lurching up to Halvir, the thing sent out a large pseudopod tipped with 2 razor sharp mouths. The dwarf caught the tentacle on his shield and turned the biting maws aside. A scritching sound of teeth on metal sounded as the mouths attempted to chew through the shield to get at the living flesh behind.

I can't easily get to my maps at them moment. The mouther is at 6F, with the fiery column in D column.

Everyone else can go in Round 1 in the init order posted above. I'll definitely make a map update before Round 2.

adamantite
2011-04-02, 07:18 PM
Halvir ducks behind his shield as the things attacks with what appeared to be a large tentacle with toothy mouths. He could feel the things trying to chew through his steel shield and smiled grimly. "That not be tasting as good as dwarf, I'm thinking. Not that you're gonna be tasting dwarf!" With that, Halvir launched a pair of heavy blows at the thing, attacking the pseudopod that had extending itself towards him.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

Edit: Dang! Too bad mouthers aren't crittable. At least it should be hurting now, between the fire and the axe.

Fuzzies
2011-04-03, 03:30 PM
Trying to remember what she knew about gibbering mouthers, Jacelyn pulled the raptor arrow from her pouch and held it in her gloved hand. It looked as if Tobias and Halvir had things under control and she really needed to conserve her magics. She spoke the release word and the arrow flew to sink into the fleshy mass.

K. dungeoneering [roll0]

arrow [roll1]
damage [roll2]

Firebeard
2011-04-04, 07:23 AM
Halvir's axe ripped through the pseudopod at its base, nearest where the mouthy tentacle met the main mass of the creature. An earsplitting shriek ripped the air as hundreds of mouths screamed in agony and the tentacle dropped to the floor. Ichor, blood, and something that looked like rotten pudding spilled out onto the floor from the gaping wound. A moment later, Jacelyn's arrow shot through the open wound to find something hard and vital deep inside the creature. It shuddered all over, and then sank to the floor, its amorphous mass spreading out in death to cover half the room.

adamantite
2011-04-04, 10:52 AM
Halvir shook his head, trying to get the ringing of the thing's death screams out of his ears. He banged his helm a few times and then looked at the spreading mass of flesh. "I dinnae think it's gonna be bothering us again." His accent, so far fairly restrained for a dwarf, seems to become stronger as he gets excited. "If you're fire dinnae burn everything up, Maybe there's something in here worth looking at?" As soon as Tobias dismisses the fire, Halvir tromps into the room, making sure to grind his booted feet on the creature as he walked over it.

Firebeard
2011-04-04, 01:55 PM
Moving into the room, you can see the signs of a lengthy imprisonment of the rapacious gibbering mouther. Carcasses lie everywhere, stripped of all flesh and sinew, bones cracked with the marrow removed. The far side of the room is scorched and blackened, and so are any remains and other items that may have resided there, courtesy of Tobias' wall of flame.

On the near side is a table built against the wall, made of heavy timber and iron. There is a significant amount of scarring on the wood, as if hundreds of teeth made a point to sample the wood's flavor and consistency before giving up. On the table are some scattered tools - mostly broken - and some empty and broken crates. The inkpens and paper scraps lying about the table suggest that the room once held a more prosaic position than holding pen for the mouther. One piece of paper, finer looking than the rest and mostly intact - caught your attention. In an educated script, lines in the common tongue read

Perrak,

I hope all is well with you and yours, though I know nothing seems to affect you at all. As you can see, this latest experiment was less than a stellar success. It may have its uses, but I am afraid that its abilities rather strain my resources here at the village. Would you be a dear and put it to some good use? Mayhaps you could slip it into Bron's bedchamber some dark night? Can you believe he is still whining about those thrice-damned gnolls? Anyways, you and your minions shouldn't be affected by this creature's howls, but they certainly make life miserable for any living creature. Use it as a guardian if you like. I guarantee it's effectiveness at raising the alarm, and the teeth should dissuade all but the most effective of intruders.

- Hotar

Fuzzies
2011-04-05, 08:28 AM
"Hotar! That's the name of that vile wizard I told you about in that first village we came to when we landed. He was the one that twisted all those poor creatures into abominations that were linked to his will. This thing must have been one of them at one point - or maybe more than one of them." She shuddered. "Well, I suppose any hope of surprise is gone now with that thing's shrieks."

Nox Lupus
2011-04-07, 07:33 AM
Tobias looks at Jacelyn then to the others for some confirmation as to the importance of this 'hotar' character...

adamantite
2011-04-07, 10:58 AM
"That the bird-beak guy in the village? He must've been on good terms with this Perrak that runs this place. though from the sound of it, he doesn't like 'Bron' very much...whoever that is. Anyways, doesn't look like it gets us any more useful info about this place, so let's keep going." The dwarf hefts his glowing axe and his shield and turns for the door. "C'mon Virgil, help me scout this hallway."

Nox Lupus
2011-04-09, 09:44 AM
"Lets make this quick. Whenever you'd like me to just start testing these halls by fire, let me know." Tobias says only half jokingly.

Nox Lupus
2011-04-09, 06:53 PM
But Tobias didn't diminish the fires. Suddenly, that half-baked idea in Tobias' head becomes a holy decree... FROM HIS GOD!!!

Feeling the pull of his Lord again,

"Well, it has been fun, my friends, but I am needed else where. May the fire lord take you all swiftly into his realm in your own due time.

He then casts a spell and then leaps into the wall of fire, and is gone.

Spellcraft DC 14

Fire stride