PDA

View Full Version : Isle of the Black Sorcerer - Part 2 IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Firebeard
2010-07-14, 01:02 PM
Alliston's use of the tools in his kit was successful, and he extracted a wicked looking dart tip from Solas' neck. The barbs were coated in some sort of sticky brown substance that the blood in the wound did not quite dilute.

Sliver
2010-07-14, 01:10 PM
Alliston examines the dart for a moment and then stretches his hand, offering the dart to Jonathan.

Wohoo, first post!

Nox Lupus
2010-07-14, 01:19 PM
"Thats much better, thank you!" :smallsmile:

Fuzzies
2010-07-14, 03:29 PM
Jacelyn looked at the wicked dart, shuddered and said "Ugh! Glad that came out okay. It looks nasty." Nervously she scanned the skies for more wasps. "Perhaps we should get in out of the open, before more wasps show up."

Firebeard
2010-07-15, 12:10 PM
Listening closely, none of you hear anything out of the ordinary in the jungle. No drone of wasp wings, calls of creatures on the hunt, or lizardman howls of battle. There is nothing but the sounds of the jungle, slowly reawakening after the silence wrought by your combat.

Sliver
2010-07-16, 02:16 AM
"Could you do something about the corpses?" Alliston asks as he sets a mat under the cover of the trees to pray. As he finishes, Alliston stands up and returns his possessions into the backpack, nodding for the rest that he is ready.

Fuzzies
2010-07-16, 06:58 AM
"I guess we should get them out of sight at least. It might keep anyone out here from immediately jumping to the wrong conclusions...or even the right ones. Here, someone help me with this."

Jacelyn went to the first lizardman corpse and, wrinkling up her nose a bit at the dry reptilian smell of it, began to drag it off towards the tree line.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-16, 09:21 AM
Solas drags the next body off into the deeper forest nearby...

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-16, 10:21 AM
Aranis grabs the two archers and moves them out of sight. He doesn't give a formal blessing, but simply nods to the bodies and says, "Go in peace."

Firebeard
2010-07-16, 10:33 AM
You manage to get the lizardmen hidden without further incident, and though Jonathan is still hearing a buzzing in his head and Jacelyn is weaker than usual, everyone is in good health.

The morning air is crisp and slightly cool still, though the heat of the day is starting to creep in.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-20, 08:22 AM
As the party relocates the bodies, Solas takes a moment to look over the finer items the party has found thus far. See Jonathan takinga breather he walks over to him and asks "Jonathan, would you mind taking a look at these to see what is magical and what is not. I fear we will need every advantage we can get going into this infernal place."

Firebeard
2010-07-20, 06:43 PM
As Alliston prayed for spells and the others kept watch, Jonathan spread out the new items they received on the ground. H pulled out his monocle and cast Detect Magic. Immediately, he discerned that there were several potions, a scimitar, a bit of armor, and a cloak that exhibited magical auras. Some concentration later and he said "Well, it appears that this scimitar and armor are finely made, with a small amount of magic that improves their capabilities. These 3 potions are cure moderate wounds, and this one is another cat's grace potion. Probably didn't need the spell to figure that out. Oh well. This cloak is interesting though. It offers a resistance to magic bonus. I think I'll take this earring, as the party's resident stealth expert. It'll help me move more quietly." That said, he placed the earring in his ear, and looked at the others, as if inquiring if they wanted anything specific.

+1 scimitar
+1 studded leather
2 CMW potions
1 cat's grace potion
cloak of resistance +1
earring of move silently +3

Nox Lupus
2010-07-20, 09:07 PM
"I would like to claim the potion of cat's grace and one of the potions of moderate healing, if no one objects...?" Solas says having picked up the potion and is rolling it between hands.

Fuzzies
2010-07-21, 08:01 AM
"I could use the cloak, if no one else needs it more. I am still fairly susceptible to things like those darts." Jacelyn rubbed her neck in grim memory of the darts that the lizardmen had used on them.

Firebeard
2010-07-22, 10:21 AM
The loot divided, the party carefully makes their way up the steps to the pinnacle of the temple, watching carefully for any sign of more lizardmen or their wasp mounts.

As they approached the top, they could see that a set of massive stone doors was set into a cupola-type structure at the pinnacle of the temple. Small beetles with jewel-like carapaces swarmed around the top landing. The doors were closed and to the left was a wheel of symbols, with a handprint set into a disc in the center. At the top of the handprint was an arrow. Obviously, the handprint was used to rotate the arrow to one or more of the symbols.

The symbols - going counterclockwise from the top - are: a stylized sun, a line with two circles over it, a serpent bent in right angles, a triangle with a line on top, a centaur stick figure, a circle sitting in a bowl, a squared off circle with a second circle inside it, a trident, a scarab beetle, a heart shape with a circle inside, a spiral, and a square with a triangle inscribed.

Fuzzies
2010-07-22, 10:51 AM
"What do you think the beetles are doing here?" Jacelyn asked, a bit nervously. "They don't appear to be threatening us. And that," she said pointing at the symbols. "Is that supposed to be some sort of combination lock?"

Sliver
2010-07-22, 11:54 AM
Alliston shrugs as he approaches the wheel and places his hand there. Speaking a word of prayer, he tries the first thing that comes to his mind.

Using Touch of Healing.

Firebeard
2010-07-22, 12:00 PM
Jonathan, who had been studying the wheel and thinking that it seemed familiar, saw Alliston move past the scarabs and place his hand on the wheel. "Wait!" he started to shout, but it was too late.

Alliston released his power into the wheel, but nothing happened. Nothing involving the wheel, that is. Something definitely happened on the ground at the cleric's feet. The gem scarabs, for that is indeed what they were, sensed the magic and began buzzing agitatedly. they began milling about Alliston's feet. not quite touching him, but certainly a lot closer and more...vigorous than they had been a few moments ago.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-22, 12:08 PM
"This place seems kinda familiar... Solas says to himself as he follows the others to the pinacle.

He turns a keen eye to the jewel-like scarabs scuttling about the top.

@GM

Watching for any encroachment from the bugs/aggressive behavior
QR-
Spot- [roll0]
Listen- [roll1]

Edit- sorry that took so long to post. Work is keeping me busy up on the front desk, :smallredface:

Sliver
2010-07-22, 12:17 PM
Alliston looks back and down, as if noticing the jeweled bugs just now. "Huh?" he looks puzzled as he hunches lower. "What are you? You seem nice, energetic... Is something bothering you? Is it magic? You look upset..." Alliston continues talking to himself as he looks over the scarabs. He turns his head slightly to look at the scarab beetle symbol on the wheel and looks back at the beetles.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-22, 12:32 PM
Solas stands ready to start doing a little bug-stomping...

Fuzzies
2010-07-22, 12:41 PM
"Easy, fellas. These little guys won't bother us unless we do something to piss them off. Let's avoid that, shall we?" Jacelyn watched the bugs apprehensively. She knew they could easily crush the scarabs, but she hesitated to kill these creatures if there was no need. they were too beautiful.

Jonathan, did you have some idea?

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-22, 02:50 PM
Aranis checks the wheel out. "I don't have any advice about the beetles, but if the lock - if that's what this is - proves to be too difficult, then I could simply cut through the door. It would take a while, but it could be done."

He looks at the stone obstacle and grimaces as he pictures the time, noise, and effort involved. "I would rather work out the combination, though."

Firebeard
2010-07-22, 02:54 PM
"I don't know," Jonathan said "I feel like I have seen these symbols before somewhere, but I can't think where."

"As for cutting through the door, we could always go that route, I suppose...but it will make an awful lot of noise"

welcome back, Jade!

Sliver
2010-07-23, 06:35 AM
Alliston stands up from the beetles and turns back to the handprint, placing his hand over it again. Slowly, he rotates his hand so the arrow would point at the beetle symbol.

Firebeard
2010-07-23, 06:50 AM
As Alliston rotated the wheel to point at the beetle symbol, everyone held their breath, waiting for the results, but nothing happened. Jonathan was still staring at the symbols, muttering to himself "Where have I seen these symbols before?"

Sliver
2010-07-23, 06:53 AM
Alliston shrugs, "A map of some sorts, perhaps?" as he turns the arrow to point back at the sun on top.

Sliver
2010-07-23, 06:59 AM
"GAH!" Alliston hears what he says and pulls out the map from where it was, pointing at the symbols under the temple marking.

He starts spinning the arrow by order: Serpent trident, circle in a bowl, a triangle with line on top, a line with two circles over it.

Fuzzies
2010-07-23, 06:59 AM
"A map?" Jacelyn echoed? "The map! Who's got the map? Aranis do you still have it? All the places on the map had funny symbols by them." Jacelyn was excited now. Perhaps the map they had held the key to entering the temple.

Hearing Alliston come to the same conclusion simultaneously, she watched ass he pulled the map out and began dialing in symbols.

ninja'd :(

Firebeard
2010-07-23, 07:08 AM
As Alliston dialed in the last symbol, there was an audible thunk from within the doors, and they swung partly open. The air inside was redolent with the dry musty smell of reptiles. The interior was dark, but not completely so. A torch flickered at the other end of a small landing, similar to the one you stood on from the outside. At the end of that landing, a set of stone steps wound down into the interior of the temple.

"Perhaps I should go first, and check for traps." Jonathan said. With that, he grasped his talisman and sent his stick out probing for anything dangerous to the group. Not finding anything after a minute of this, he called back quietly "All clear!"

Sliver
2010-07-23, 07:13 AM
Alliston clicked his fingers and an orb of light started floating by his shoulders Perhaps we should loot Jonathan before he dies somewhere we can't get to his body? He's the only one with the easy appraise item Alliston thought as he stepped inside.

"Hey Jon, mind if I keep the monocle for a while?" Alliston smiled innocently. He looked back for a moment "Do you know what these things eat? If we can lure them to go with us, they might aid us in battle"

Nox Lupus
2010-07-23, 07:55 AM
Solas follows caustiously behind Jonathan.

Firebeard
2010-07-23, 09:39 AM
Jonathan glanced at Alliston, the look on his face a clear "You wish", before heading down the winding circular staircase, carefully checking for traps as he went. About 20 steps down, he halted and raised his hand. He whispered back to Solas "Tell everyone to step over this one. No one should touch it at all." he waited for Solas to confirm, then continued on his way down.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-23, 09:53 AM
Solas looks back to the others; pointed at the next step infront of him and shook his head. He then stepped over that next step onto the one beyond.

Fuzzies
2010-07-23, 12:25 PM
Jacelyn waited for Solas and Aranis to pass before her, then took her place behind the big Knight as they went down the stairs, leaving the more heavily armored Alliston to guard the rear. When Jonathan stopped, she tensed, ready to fling a bit of magic down the stairway if necessary - lightning would bounce all the way down, wouldn't it? - but he merely indicated a step to avoid. First Solas, then Aranis passed over the step. When her turn came, she stepped wide over the offending step and motioned back to Alliston to do the same.

Firebeard
2010-07-25, 02:05 PM
The group made it to the bottom of the winding staircase without incident, only to find another impediment. There was a portcullis separating the stairwell from the hallway beyond. Torches were spaced at odd intervals in the hallway, leaving pools of shadow and darkness between the illuminated areas.

Looking closely, you can see that the portcullis is rusted slightly, but not badly enough to keep it from performing its appointed duty - that of keeping people out...or in.

Firebeard
2010-07-26, 08:13 AM
@Solas and Aranis

Looking over the portcullis, trying to see how you can open it without undue noise, you happen to see a small bell tied to the gate about 8 feet off the ground, almost hidden in the gloom.

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-26, 10:04 AM
Aranis points out the bell to the others. "What do you think, Jonathan? Opening mechanism or sucker-bait?"

Nox Lupus
2010-07-26, 10:26 AM
Solas stands there for a few moment, looking up and pondering the bell's purpose...

@GM

Int- [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-07-26, 10:28 AM
"Sucker bait, definitely." Jonathan whispered back to the Knight. "Look up there." Pointing to several spots in the darker recesses of the illumination, Jonathan showed the others that there were more bells tied to the portcullis. "An extremely blunt, but effective warning system. Well, it would be effective if no one saw them. If you hoist me up, I can probably untie them without making any noise."

Fuzzies
2010-07-26, 12:22 PM
As Jonathan prepared to disable the bell trap, Jacelyn made some preparations of her own. After all, if the bells were there to alert someone, and Jonathan accidentally dropped one, she wanted to make sure that she was ready to take care of the responders.

Ready components to cast Scintillating Sphere or lightning bolt from the staff, depending on the response.

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-26, 01:44 PM
Aranis gives Jonathan the requisite boost. He tries to think of a decent bell-oriented pun, but comes up blank.

Firebeard
2010-07-26, 02:00 PM
Standing on Aranis' rock steady shoulder, Jonathan begins to disable the bells. He pulled a wad of wax from a pouch and ore off a small piece. He fixed this to the bell's clapper, and then carefully cut the bell's tie string free. Finally, he placed the bell in a pouch. He did this with 7 bells, clearing the last with a small sigh of relief.

"Okay, it should be clear now," he whispered, as he motioned for Aranis to set him down. "I looked it over and didn't see any more bells or traps. Of course, he said with a grin, the portcullis' opening winch is over there." he pointed to a crank set on the wall about 6 feet back fromt eh portcullis. "Looks like we - and by we I mean you - have to do this the old fashioned way."

To force open the portcullis, you need to make a strength check. Up to 3 people can get on the bars to help lift the gate.

Firebeard
2010-07-26, 03:59 PM
@Virgil

The last few days had been really rough, requiring all of your acquired skills to stay alive and make it to this temple. Your ship spotted the top of the temple sticking up through the tree canopy, so of course it was your first goal. You avoided most of the creatures you ran into, and killed those few that you could (those rat-sized wasps were nasty).

When you got to the temple, you saw that it wouldn't be as easy to enter as you thought. It was guarded day and night by lizardmen and flying patrols. Sneaking through would be difficult, and outright combat was out of the question. Besides, the interior was likely as infested with lizardmen as he exterior.

After watching the place for a day and a night, you were about ready to move on when a small party of adventurers smashed its way through the guards and made their way up, and into, the temple. This was your chance to go. The only question was whether to follow along behind them, or perhaps ally yourself with them?

During the fight, the monk kept shouting to Lathander, and the big guy was obviously a paladin of some kind, so it was likely they were good people. Perhaps even good people. You had been working solo for so long, perhaps it was time to join a group and do some proper adventuring. You know, that whole "travel to exotic places, learn interesting things about interesting creatures, and kill them" schitck.

Making up your mind, you ran across the clearing and up the steps to the entrance at the top of the temple. Taking only a moment to look at the locking mechanism at the entrance, you moved quickly down the steps into the gloom.

Jacelyn moved closer to the bars and Aditu slipped from her shoulder. Gently squeezing through the portcullis, she flew over tot he winch. She landed lightly, tripped the mechanism to reverse the winch's direction, and strained to turn the handle. It moved. Slowly, but it moved. The little mephit's strained and struggled to turn the crank, and the portcullis raised inch by inch. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the portcullis was raised high enough for everyone to walk through in a low crouch.

Before anyone could do so, however, Jonathan hissed "Wait!" Aditu's wings made the shadows flicker, which showed him something strange on the ground. Bending closer, he inspected the spot. Sure enough, it was another trap. "Sneaky little bug-eaters" he murmured as he pulled out his tools to disable the device.

Jonathan was still working on disabling the trap when a set of footsteps hurrying down the stairwell above caught the party's attention.

Jonathan shouldn't have looked up. He had been doing this sort of thing for long enough that he should have known better. Unfortunately, he'd been studying his magic much more than his intrusion skills lately, and that kind of lapse is rarely harmless. The scythe dropped from its hidden place in the ceiling and with an agonizing ka-thunk slashed deep across Jonathan's torso, nearly splitting him in two.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-26, 04:02 PM
Solas turns toward the sound and prepared for battle...

CockroachTeaParty
2010-07-26, 04:22 PM
It felt alien, approaching a group of heavily-armed strangers with anything less than total stealth. Virgil had to take pains to scrape his boots on the stone, and breathe slightly more heavily than normal, just to announce his approach. He didn't want to surprise these people, and wind up like the lizard folk outside.
Slowly, emerging out of the gloom, the party can see a human man descending the stairwell. He is clad in dark clothing, with a large bow slung across his shoulder. His face is solemn and serious, his expression a mask. His dark green eyes drink in the situation quickly, analyzing and scrutinizing with great speed. A dark gray leather headband is wrapped around his skull, keeping his close-cropped black hair in place. His equipment seems to be well-cared for, and well organized, secured to his lithe, athletic frame with professional precision.
For a few seconds he stands there silently; then the scythe falls out of the wall and cuts Jonathan from neck to navel. The stranger pulls out a wand from his belt and rushes to the dying man's side.
"That was a nasty one... quick, before we lose him..."

Use Magic Device to try and cast Lesser Vigor on Jonathan. DC 20
[roll0]

Nox Lupus
2010-07-26, 04:28 PM
Solas, ready to battle the direct potential threat of the newcomer, is shocked silent and still by Jonathan's abrupt and gory demise.

Even the Monk can't dodge the blood...

Fuzzies
2010-07-26, 04:36 PM
Jacelyn was ready for guards to pop out from the dark hallway ahead. She was even mostly ready for whoever those footsteps coming down the stairs belonged to. She was totally not ready to see Jonathan cut in two like so much steak before her eyes. She stifled a scream and looked frantically around for someone to do something.

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-26, 05:58 PM
"Soc ra-waynan!" [Elven (sun elf dialect) for "We will never return"].

Aranis's only warning was the red spray that shot past him and onto Solas, and he lets out the startled curse. There's nothing to be done.

Aranis scans up and down the hallway for further threats. For the first time, his voice has a powerful commanding tone. "Stay down and hold still!" He points to the newcomer. "Declare yourself."

Nox Lupus
2010-07-26, 07:35 PM
Solas ignores the new comer and staggers over to Jonathan's body. Solas slowly drops to his knees next to his friend, doubtlessly staining his gi in Jonathan's blood.

He reaches out to touch him and feel a heartbeat in his chest, as if in an attempt to disprove reality. At this, Solas' takes a shuddering, deep inhale and closes his eyes... a steady, deep exhale follows as he looks again upon the body of his fallen comrade and says "We cannot leave him in the dark place. We must take him back outside a-...

Solas pauses mid-sentence as even he isn't sure what to do after that point...

Firebeard
2010-07-26, 10:02 PM
The sound of the scythe trap engaging broke Girras out of his stupor. THe days had been boring and guard duty was a chore he was ready to give up on. If Salinitura wanted him to do it much longer, she was going to have to cough up a few more prisoners for his amusement.

But now, the long wait was over. Someone dared to enter this place uninvited! This place, once devoted to another god, but now wholly sanctified to Seymunara, and no outsider was to defile the temple with their presence.

Girras looked over to his fellow guard and nodded. He reached for a potion at his belt and watched Krinseth do the same. A cross the hall, he knew that the other two guards would also be preparing themselves.

Glancing across the way, he saw Slotheni give him a nod, then Girras gave into the rage that was building against these interlopers. In silence, but howling inside, he and the others charged into the gloom.

@Solas and Virgil

Virgil's wand touches the still, mangled chest of Jonathan just seconds before Solas falls to Jonathan's side. Neither felt the familiar sense of magic rushing into the body to provide healing magic. Neither noticed any sign of life to the body at all. It had become, in the blink of an eye, a sack of meat held loosely together by splitting skin and clothing.

@Jacelyn and Virgil

Something moving in the gloom deep in the hallway before you catches your attention. You steel yourself to act, but before you can call out aq warning to the others, you are attacked!

@everyone

Surprise round! The lizardmen are attacking, then Jacelyn and Virgil. I'll roll initiatives for the main rounds once the surprise round is over.

Map is up. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter2a.png)

They came from the darkness, quiet as shadows, scaled feet barely making a whisper on the stone tiles. It wasn't until they got within 20 feet that anyone spotted them, and by then it was almost too late.

The two in the lead each went after Solas and Virgil, stone and wood clubs smashing down with brutal force. The ones in back were content to throw javelins at those still behind the portcullis, their practice at this task negating the minimal cover the bars afforded.

Solas looks up in time to avoid the falchion that whips past his face with brutal force, but the newcomer isn't as lucky. The heavy blade takes Virgil across the chest, slamming the young man into the wall beside him.

Aranis and Jacelyn both tried to duck behind the bars for the minimal cover they offered, but the lizardmen had practiced throwing javelins through those bars for hours a day until they could place the shafts through the 4" openings with little effort. Both javelins found targets of soft flesh.

falchion @ Solas: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

falchion @ Virgil: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

javelin @ Aranis: [roll4]
damage: [roll5]

javelin @ Jacelyn: [roll6]
damage: [roll7]

Virgil takes 16 damage.
Jacelyn takes 8 damage.
Aranis takes 7 damage (before DR).

Nox Lupus
2010-07-27, 08:05 AM
Solas jumps up to his feat as quick as he can once the lizardmen are spotted...

CockroachTeaParty
2010-07-27, 08:22 AM
Virgil curses himself mentally as the lizardman's blade catches him by surprise. Careless. You'll wind up like the dead man if you don't keep your head on straight.
Ignoring the pain as best he can, Virgil gracefully tumbles out of the way with well-practiced acrobatic skill, putting some distance between himself and his attackers.

If Virgil's got a surprise round action, he'll tumble 15 ft. away from any enemies (auto succeeding with a +14 to the check).

Initiative? [roll0]

Fuzzies
2010-07-27, 08:48 AM
OOC
Oops, looks like everyone's waiting on me :smallredface:

Jacelyn watches as the lizardmen boil out of the tunnel and tear into her and her companions. Feeling the sting of the javelin as it nicks her side, she manages to concentrate on the staff and invoke its power. "Solas! to the side!" she shouted as she reached the staff through the bars and past Solas' head to aim it through the oncoming creatures.

Lightning bolt from the staff, CL5 DC15 Reflex for half

damage Solas: [roll0]
damage falchion guy: [roll1]
damage javelin guy: [roll2]

Nox Lupus
2010-07-27, 08:58 AM
Solas throws himself against the tunnel wall in a desperate bid to get out of Jacelyn's spell's way

@GM

Ref- [roll0]

Edit- YAY EVASION!

Solas successfully gets out of the way of the bolt...

Firebeard
2010-07-27, 09:05 AM
Virgil bounced back off the wall and rolled past Aranis and back onto the steps, where he recovered, breathing heavily and in great pain. An actinic flash lit the gloomy hallway as Jacelyn launched a lightning bolt from the staff she captured from Hotar. The lizards managed to dodge the brunt of the blast, but the electrical force still rocked them backwards and caused burns to erupt on their bodies. Solas threw himself sideways at Jacelyn's shout and managed to avoid any of the lightning bolt's damage.

Waiting on Solas' reflex roll to finish out the description.

initiative rolls
Aranis: [roll0]
Solas: [roll1]
Jacelyn: [roll2]
Alliston: [roll3]
Aditu: [roll4]
Virgil: [roll5]
Lizardmen: [roll6]

Round 1 Initiatives...

Aditu - 20
Aranis - 19
Jacelyn - 15
Solas - 14
Alliston - 14
Virgil - 10
Lizardmen - 3

Map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter2b.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-07-27, 09:28 AM
Solas turns and faces his opponents "Very well then," Solas flexes his fingers, and cracks his neck "lets end this quickly..." :smallannoyed:

Solas lunges forward at the opponents before him...

@GM

Flurry-
Attack1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack2- [roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

Sliver
2010-07-27, 09:33 AM
A bit busy, short on description. Alliston sets up Bless. If non of the opponents seem bloodied or dispatched of by their turn, Alliston sets up PD too.

Fuzzies
2010-07-27, 09:52 AM
Aditu flies above Solas' head and breathes a cone of ice shards down at his opponents, leaving them and the floor beneath them covered in frost.

Jacelyn meanwhile, raised her hands high and sent bursts of cold fire into each of the lizardmen hiding in the back, throwing javelins. The harsh blue light again lit the corridor and streaked towards the ranged fighters.

Aditu flies above Solas' head and uses her 10' cone of ice shards which should hit both lizards

damage 1d4, Reflex DC 12 half or take a –4 penalty
to AC and a –2 penalty on attack rolls for 3 rounds.
A9: [roll0]
B9: [roll1]

Jacelyn's Scorching Ray (frost) aimed at the two in back, ranged touch
A5: [roll2]

B5: [roll4]

CockroachTeaParty
2010-07-27, 10:58 AM
Readying his composite longbow, Virgil recalls the basics of reptilian humanoid anatomy, and draws an arrow from his magic quiver. As he knocks it, he can feel the blessings of one of the stranger's spells give him a slight boost to his morale, which helps him ignore the pain and concentrate on getting in an accurate shot. He lets loose, and the arrow flies towards his target with a whistling sound...

Firing at the guy in 9B.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
I'll go ahead and burn an inspiration point on the damage roll, for +4 damage; 17 total.

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-27, 02:53 PM
Aranis steps through the gate and begins swinging, keeping the blade high to avoid striking Solas.

Attack 1 (PA 3): [roll0]
Attack 2 (PA 3): [roll1]

Potential Cleaves:
Attack 1 (PA 3): [roll2]
Attack 2 (PA 3): [roll3]

Damage 1: [roll4]
Damage 2: [roll5]
Damage C: [roll6]

Firebeard
2010-07-27, 03:39 PM
Aditu flew high in the air, hovering above Solas near the ceiling and blew an icy cone of ice shards and frost at the lizardmen before them. With an agility that belied their reptilian nature, the attackers adroitly avoided most of the blast and its effects.

They were not so lucky in avoiding Aranis and Solas, however. The blade went high, and the fists went low, and though both of them missed in their first attacks, the follow ups connected soundly.

Jacelyn's aim at her first target was spoiled by Solas' maneuvers, but he second strike found its mark. Coruscating blue fire enveloped the javelin thrower on her right. Immediately after, Virgil's arrow found the same target, sending the lizardman spinning to the ground.

Behind all of the fancy maneuvers and loud bangs, Alliston can be heard chanting softly, giving his team members the strength to persevere. Almost as an afterthought, Alliston spoke a word of power and everyone felt their defenses increase.

In retaliation, the two leading lizardmen struck out heavily at the enemies before them. In the back, the remaining javeliner hesitated, then pulled a second javelin from his back and hurled it at Jacelyn.

falchion@Aranis: [roll0]
bite@Aranis: [roll2]

falchion@Solas: [roll4]
bite@Solas: [roll6]
damage: [roll7] + 6 (crit)

javelin@Aditu: [roll8]
damage: [roll9]

OUCH!

Aranis takes 16 damage before DR
Solas takes 30 damage!!

map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter2c.png)

Round 2 Initiatives...

Aditu - 20
Aranis - 19
Jacelyn - 15
Solas - 14
Alliston - 14
Virgil - 10
Lizardmen - 3

Sliver
2010-07-27, 03:49 PM
Alliston sighs as he calmly steps forward. In the chaos of combat, he found it pointless to rush things up. He was still whole, there was an opening, and he didn't have anything else to do. What would he do, anyway?

Mid step, Alliston turns around and moonwalks his way to B11, spinning around, he raises his hand and slaps the monk on his back.

Touch of Healing for 12hp. (Should put Solas at 30HP, if his sheet is updated until the latest damage)

Nox Lupus
2010-07-27, 04:14 PM
Solas feels Lathander's holy energies knitting his wounds and reinvigorating him. With nothing else for it, he renews the fight...

@GM

Flurry-
Attack1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack2- [roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

CockroachTeaParty
2010-07-27, 10:45 PM
Virgil was impressed by what he was seeing. Despite the visceral danger of it all, he was able to take in the fight and see these people operating as a unit. Sure, they could afford to be a bit more tight, a bit more quiet, a bit more professional, but they were getting the job done, and taking some hard knocks. Virgil pondered all of these things as he let loose another arrow with surgical precision.

Virgil will shoot ideally any standing lizardmen in the front line, shooting the javelin guys if they are the only remaining targets (and suffering a -1 to attacks and damage, since they're beyond Point Blank Shot range).
He'll burn another IP to up the damage by 4, bringing it to 13 damage.

Fuzzies
2010-07-28, 07:25 AM
Aditu, her chill breath exhausted, flitted back to Jacelyn's shoulder and clung to the robes there as the young mage prepared her next spell. "I'm sorry, that was the best I can do at the moment," she panted.

Jacelyn smiled at her familiar and gave her a quick bump with the side of her head to let the mephit know it was okay, and continued her spellcasting. She pulls a diamond from her belt pouch and whispers a word of power. The diamond dissolves into a fine glittering power. reaching out, she poured the diamond dust on Solas' head and back, speaking another phrase of power.

Solas felt a cold hardening sensation run from his head and back to encompass the rest of his body. For a moment, it seemed as though he was going as stiff as a statue, but then the feeling left him. He had a feeling of invulnerability running through him, like nothing could harm him.

Taking a bit of license with the DM's material components policy, but I hope that's okay. If not, let me know and I'll redo the actin.

I needed the dust to cast stoneskin on Solas. It gives him DR 10/adamantine for 70 minutes or until 70 damage is prevented, whichever comes first.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-28, 08:03 AM
The frosty touch of Jacelyn's magic sent a secondary chill down Solas' spine after the spell had taken hold. This caused him to inhale sharply

He felt the slight stiffness in his skin, but could tell it would not impede his mobility. He gave the mage a quick glance back and exhaled a frosty cloud of vapor before :smallsmile: and turning his attention back to the fight.

@Jacelyn

YOU ROCK!!!!
(No pun intended :smallbiggrin:)

Firebeard
2010-07-28, 08:32 PM
Aranis shrugged off the blows and lashed out again at his attacker. 4 feet of honed adamantine weaved through the air with power and agility, striking at the Champion in front of him

DMPCing Aranis' attacks to move things along.

Potential Cleaves:
Attack 1 (PA 3): [roll2]
Attack 2 (PA 3): [roll3]

Damage 1: [roll4]
Damage 2: [roll5]
Damage C: [roll6]

Firebeard
2010-07-28, 08:42 PM
Solas and Aranis continue to pummel their opponents, fists and sword taking a toll. Smoothly inserting himself into their attack patterns, Virgil manages to launch an arrow between the two men to strike Aranis' target full in the chest. The raging Champion snaps off the arrow and snarls, but the sound seems weak and the creature staggers slightly as it prepares to attack again. It is obviously in great pain.

Those dreaded falchions come back into play, their honed edges and heavy blades making them a terrible threat for the two men fighting in the front lines. Left and right, the blades swept into the men. Both avoided the blows, but Aranis was too slow to avoid the jaws that swept in behind the blade to score a light hit on his cheek.

The lizardman in the back pulled his last javelin from his pack. Weighing his targets carefully, he once again let fly at the mage, sending the thin spear whistling in towards Jacelyn. The mage ducked and the javelin soared ovedrhead to bounce off the step behind her.

falchion@Aranis: [roll0]
bite@Aranis: [roll2]

falchion@Solas: [roll4]
bite@Solas: [roll6]

javelin@Jacelyn: [roll8]

Aranis takes 6 damage before DR

map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter2d.png)

Round 3 Initiatives...

Aditu - 20
Aranis - 19
Jacelyn - 15
Solas - 14
Alliston - 14
Virgil - 10
Lizardmen - 3

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-28, 11:13 PM
Sorry!

Aranis keeps swinging. "Get out of my face!"

Attack 1 (PA 2): [roll0]
Attack 2 (PA 2): [roll1]

Damage 1: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Potential Cleaves:
Attack 1 (PA 2): [roll4]
Attack 2 (PA 2): [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Fuzzies
2010-07-29, 07:48 AM
Jacelyn's hands burst into cold blue fire again as she lanced out attacks against the lone javelineer and Aranis' target. She concentrates all her mind on making the shots count and dropping the beasts before any more damage is done to her friends.

Aditu hold for now. Nothing for her to do.

Scorching (freezing) ray on targets in A5 and A9.

ranged touch@A5: [roll0]

ranged touch@A9: [roll2]

Nox Lupus
2010-07-29, 08:36 AM
Solas fights on...

@GM

Flurry-*
Attack1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack2- [roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

*-reference my OOC post about charging if the two infront of me are killed

CockroachTeaParty
2010-07-29, 11:21 AM
These lizadfolk were quite the tough targets. With each arrow expended, Virgil grew increasingly impressed and mildly irritated. There was nothing for it, however, but to try and eliminate the threat as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Virgil will attack the more injured elite frontliner, or else target the other barbarian beside him if he goes down.

Firebeard
2010-07-29, 11:27 AM
Aranis' blade lashed and sliced into the Champion before him. The brute fell to the ground with a deep gash in its chest, and bleeding from the multitude of wounds it had received. His second stroke leaped out at the Champion to the Knight's left, who ducked the sword only to meet a combination of fist punches and knee strikes from Solas.

The javelineer in the back saw the Champion fall and turned to run. It made half a step before Jacelyn's cold fire lanced into its back, sending a frosted corpse tot he ground. Her second bolt of blue fire hit the remaining champion and dispatched it as well.

The corridor rang with the silence of the aftermath of battle, but it was unlikely that the commotion remained unheard. If this temple was as populated as it appeared to be, the inhabitants must surely know the companions were coming.

Sliver
2010-07-29, 11:39 AM
Alliston pushed people aside as he stepped to Jonathan's body, dumping his pack besides it. He quietly took out a small kit and soaked a piece of cloth in some water from his waterskin. He began cleaning the body as the others took care of the looting. When that part is over, Alliston requests aid in taking the body outside.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-29, 11:44 AM
Solas, still reinforced by jacelyn's spell, moves quickly down the hall (50') then comes back. He trusts his companions can handle looting and disposing of their opponents bodies... that and being near Jonathan was a bit much for the young monk at the moment.

@GM

Move out 50'
Move back 50'

QR- Spot- [roll0]
Listen- [roll1]

...further reactive spots and listens as needed...

Spot- [roll2]
Listen- [roll3]
-
Spot- [roll4]
Listen- [roll5]
-
Spot- [roll6]
Listen- [roll7]

Firebeard
2010-07-29, 01:08 PM
@Solas

About 30' forward, Solas finds two darkened doorways on opposite sides of the hallway. Looking in, in the dim light he can see the obvious signs of a guard station, with cots and stools for the guards to lounge on, and the detritus common to any extended stay in a small room while performing boring duties.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-29, 01:17 PM
Once Solas has completed his lap and returned unscathed, he says "There are two clutched, but unoccuied guard stations down the hall, likely where these came from..." Solas nudges one of the lizardmen with his foot "However, that appears to be all thats in the immediate area. If the rest of the 'hive' is coming for us, it looks like they've got only two avenues of attack."

Having given his report, Solas turns to the groups new found ally "Light be with you friend, I am Solas Nightbane of Lathander's holy temple in Waterdeep. Your timely arrival was most helpful in that fight. Personally, I'd like to thank you for attempting to heal our fallen comrade. What is your name and what brings you here?" :smallsmile:

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-29, 02:49 PM
While Solas talks with the newcomer, Aranis helps Alliston move Jonathan's body.

Fuzzies
2010-07-29, 05:40 PM
"Aranis, Alliston, what do you plan on doing with him? Perhaps it would be better to place him in one of these guard rooms, rather than allow his body to be found outside."

Sliver
2010-07-29, 05:44 PM
"I will not leave his body here to be tainted while this island is still corrupted, out of divine sight. We shall burn it, pray for his spirit, and carry on his effort in cleansing this island."

CockroachTeaParty
2010-07-29, 08:56 PM
Virgil was just about to let another arrow fly when the last of the lizardmen go down. He straightens his posture as he carefully places his weapons back in their proper places, and dusts himself off a bit. He fidgets with his wand a bit until he can feel the energy within slowly knitting his wounds back together. He looks up at Solas, his expression passive.
"I hope you'll forgive my sudden entrance. I saw your group outside with the perimeter guards. You saved me a certain amount of trouble, truth be told. I'm a... professional explorer, you might say. I came to this island primarily for research purposes. I'm compiling my experiences delving into dangerous locales, with the ultimate goal of publishing my findings and advice for future generations of explorers. I've typically worked solo in the past, but things are dangerous enough here that it might be time if I attached myself to a group of competent individuals such as yourselves. You seem to know what you're doing; if you'll have me, I think you'll find my skills more than adequate for a variety of tasks."
He rambles all of this in a matter-of-fact way, keeping a carefully practiced air of neutral professionalism.
"The name's Virgil, by the way. Virgil Doubleday. I'm, uh... sorry for your loss."
He rubs the back of his neck, clearly not comfortable given the recent development with Jonathan.
"Comes with the profession, though..."

(Virgil burns a charge of his wand and recovers 11 hp over the next minute.)

Sliver
2010-07-30, 03:58 AM
As they find themselves outside, Alliston pulls out his prayer book, looking up at the newcomer, he manages a smile "Welcome aboard, Virgil. I'm Alliston, Alliston Verger. I'm sure an explorer like you should recognize this" Alliston points at his holy symbol, still smiling.

As he begins to remove Jonathan's equipment, he takes no joy in that, but he manages to talk calmly with a smile to Virgil "Odd, don't you think? Losing our skill master, finding a new one right away? A more cynical man than I would imply you had something to do with this. It's a good thing I'm an optimist, right?" Alliston wipes his hands with the wet piece of cloth and scratches his head, then reaches out to shake Virgil's hand.

Fuzzies
2010-07-30, 07:23 AM
"I didn't mean we just leave him here forever. Simply that we place his body in one of these rooms while we clear out the temple. Your divination spoke of redemption didn't it? What better final resting place for a friend that a cleansed temple. I am just afraid at this point that if we go back outside, they will have time to put together something really nasty for us. There's no way that fight went unnoticed. If there is any chance of surprise or even just pre-emptive striking we should take it."

"I understand that he was a good companion, even though we only knew him for a few days. But this is a risk that I am not sure we should be taking. Please, let's prepare him quickly in one of these rooms and then come back for him when our task here is finished."

Sliver
2010-07-30, 08:01 AM
Alliston looks at Jacelyn, considering her words, but shakes his head "No. This needs to be done. I have already compromised my belief before, and concluded that it was a mistake. If this is a mistake, I'm making it. But you are right, there is little time to waste. I shall do this quickly and return to you, so you should advance for now." And with that Alliston turns, carrying the body alone.

OOC:Just change the last post to be inside instead of outside.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-02, 10:09 AM
"Alliston, is it better to help the living or the dead?" Solas asks pointedly "If you go outside and burn Jonthan's body, you will only give our enemies another way to find us, not to mention putting yourself, our only cleric, in greater danger. Need you be reminded of the wasps and what they and their riders almost did to me... :smallfrown:. Please brother, which will do the greatest good, while risking the least?" Solas says, paraphrasing part of Lathander's dogma/statement of faith.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-02, 11:29 AM
Virgil said nothing, intrigued to see how these people would handle the situation. Solas made some excellent points, but servants of the gods could be stubborn in their own ways...

Sliver
2010-08-02, 11:30 AM
Alliston lowered his glance, but eventually smiles "Thank you, brother." he said quietly and returned to look at the monk, ready to follow.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-02, 11:35 AM
"Come, let us secure out fallen friend in one of the guard rooms. I doubt any of the other temple's occupants will bother to search an empty room for a body... With that Solas (swallowing his feelinsg about Jonathan's demise) helps alliston bring him to the guard room.

Thanks to the 'healing' effects that closed the wounds on him, bleeding was now minimal. Wrapping him in whatever sheets or cloth they had available, Solas slides Jonathan's corpse under/behidn whatever obstruction will best hide him. "We will mourn him later my brother, but for now we must survive in order to do so. Solas manages a smile for Alliston.

Fuzzies
2010-08-02, 07:56 PM
Jacelyn was about to launch into another argument with Alliston when Solas spoke up. His words seemed to help Alliston come to his senses. She was glad the monk was there, as she would never have been that diplomatic. It just wasn't in her nature.

She understood where the cleric was coming from, and could see things from his - disturbing to her - point of view, to some extent. But there was just no sense in it. Ah well, Solas had made him see reason and that was what was important.

In amelioration she said "I understand your concerns Alliston, I really do. When this is over I pledge to come back here with you, to do what is right and worthy for his sacrifice."

As Solas and Alliston moved the body, she turned to Virgil and looked him over. "Thank you for coming to our aid. I don't know what god sent you here, or if it was just the universe laughing at us, but your arrival was most timely. I am Jacelyn, and this is my companion Aditu." She indicated the ice mephit at her shoulder. "If you are looking for a group of stalwart adventurers, capable of handling anything this island can throw at them, I'd say you found them." She glanced back at Jonathan's body being hauled away by the two Lathanderites. "Well, almost anything. If you continue to be as useful as you were back there, I for one would be more than happy to have you along."

Glancing down at the dead lizardmen at her feet, she said "What say we see if these guys have anything useful on them?" She began to search the bodies.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-02, 08:15 PM
If there was one thing that drew Virgil's gaze the most, it might have been the mephit. He continues to eye the elemental creature with interest.
"I've been considering acquiring a familiar of my own. They strike me as being profoundly useful in a variety of situations. Hopefully I'll continue to pull my own weight... I'll be watching the dynamic between you and your familiar with interest, lady Alliston."
Virgil does not smile, his expression remaining rather inscrutable.

Firebeard
2010-08-02, 08:39 PM
Jacelyn, Aranis, and Virgil busy themselves with removing any valued items from the lizardmen, while Alliston and Solas lay Jonathan's body out in state. The proceedings take place with an air of hurry, as no one wants to be caught unawares in this stronghold of the enemy.

The good news:

On the lizardmen, you find a high quality maquahuitl, 6 decent javelins, a potion of bull's strength, 2 potions of cure moderate wounds, a nice suit of studded leather, an extremely nice suit of studded leather, 2 high quality falchions, coinage totaling 23g, and exceptionally clear blue gem, and 2 earrings.

On Jonathan, Solas and Alliston remove the items mentioned in the OOC thread.

The bad news: You don't have time to do much more than toss the junk in a bag, because...

Unawares, unfortunately, is exactly how they were caught when a flight of arrows flew in from the darkness at the end of the tunnel.

arrow@Jacelyn: [roll0]

arrow@Jacelyn: [roll2]

arrow@Virgil: [roll4]

arrow@Aranis: [roll6]

Seeing as you are flatfooted...

Jacelyn takes 9 damage
Virgil takes 5 damage
Aranis takes 5 damage before DR

Firebeard
2010-08-02, 08:52 PM
Round 1 initiatives:

Alliston: [roll3]
Virgil: [roll4]
Aditu: [roll5]

Round 1 initiative order...

Virgil - 23
Solas - 19
Aranis - 18
Jacelyn - 17
Aditu - 14
Alliston - 14
Lizardmen - 9

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter3a.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-08-03, 07:49 AM
Solas looks for in the direction the arrows came from. Seeing his companiosn injured from the arrows sparked him to action. "Lady Jacelyn," anger plain behind his voice "please mark my charge..."

With that Solas sprints off down the hall after the assailants. With a grunt of exersion, Solas leaps into the air (as high as the ceilings will allow), and come smashing down upon the first archer in his line of attack...

@GM

Charge-... however far is needed
Jump- [roll0]
Attack- [roll1] (+2 Charge, + any other bonuses you deem to still be in effect)
Dmg- [roll2]
Gloves- [roll3]

Edit: add 1 more to attack for Jump result

NOTE- Reposted after Allistons Daylight spell

Sliver
2010-08-03, 08:17 AM
Alliston rushes to the doorway as he hears the arrows hitting flesh. The hallway fills with light from the small orb floating by Alliston's shoulder, but the enemies aren't in view. Except for Jacelyn, seeing further with the aid of the shadowy light (you have low light vision, right?).

Alliston points into the dark hallway, "There," he shakes his head, as he decides to do something different. Suddenly, Alliston's morningstar brightens and emits powerful light, and he stretches his hand to light the hallway.

Yeah, using daylight. 120ft of bright illumination, 120 of shadowy illumination and counters darkness spells of spell level 4 or less.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-03, 08:40 AM
Hearing the grunts of his companions Solas says "Whats going on, is everyoen okay?"

As he does this he reaches for a potion and rushes to the first injured person he can find.

@GM

MA- pull out Potion of Cure Moderate
Move- to E5

Make sure potion is easily accessible to Jacelyn.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-03, 02:35 PM
Moments before the hall is filled with daylight, Virgil ducks into the side room, cursing under his breath. Removing a wand from his belt, he taps his temple. He can feel subtle magic tingle behind his eyes. As the daylight filled the hallway, Virgil ground his teeth. He should have cast the Darkvision spell as a precaution before even entering the temple. He had just wasted valuable time, and he was all about efficiency. They had dallied too long in the hall, talking too loud... the distractions of meeting new people, Virgil told himself, attempting to justify their lack of precaution or vigil. If they were facing an alerted, organized resistance from within this place, they would need to approach the exploration of the site significantly differently from Virgil's typical operating procedure. He was an explorer, not a commando; he knocked an arrow to his bow, resigned to his current situation despite his own reluctance.

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-03, 06:47 PM
Aranis raises a hand to his newest injury. Minor...

When light fills the hallway, he charges straight for the new threat.

Attack (PA 3): [roll0]

Fuzzies
2010-08-03, 08:38 PM
The first arrow thudded into her leg and Jacelyn staggered a bit. She had just finished pulling a nice looking pair of earrings off one of the bodies and was straightening up to talk more with Virgil when the arrows flew in. The second hit her high in the right shoulder, just below where Aditu was perched. The thought of the vile creatures harming her familiar was maddening.

Jacelyn saw Solas running towards her, cure potion in hand, but she was to livid to accept it yet. Fingers flashing she cried out "ventus servitus!" and sent a ball of electricity hurling down the corridor to explode amongst the archers. She saw Aranis charging past her, headed that way as well, and prayed that her spell detonated before he arrived in its blast area.

scintillating sphere, ref DC 18 for half. detonating right in the middle of the archers to catch as many of them as possible.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Firebeard
2010-08-03, 08:55 PM
As Aranis hurtles past her, Jacelyn let loose her spell. It raced past the running knight and exploded in the midst of the archers. Two of the lizardmen were flung to the floor, skin crackling with residual energy and quite dead. The other two were still dazed and rubbing at the scorch burns on their skin and scales when Aranis arrived.

As the Knight approached, so too did Virgil's arrow. The shaft thudded into the rightmost creature's chest, the fletching quivering. The lizardman gasped something and slumped to the ground, no longer a threat. From the corner of his eye, Aranis saw something just beyond the hallway's corner.

Aranic couldn't charge, since he had friendlies in the way. He also can't get there and attack, since they are about 70 feet from where he started. Does Aranis make a normal double move anyways? I assumed that, with the above post. That leaves him about 10 feet away from the remaining archer.

Firebeard
2010-08-04, 07:06 AM
The remaining archer shifted his aim, and sent an arrow winging towards Aranis. Almost at the same time, another lizardman stepped around the corner. He was bigger than the archers, and his clothes were of finer cut and quality. He gave one look at your group and made a squeaking sound, before disappearing back around the corner.

arrow @aranis: [roll0]

Round 2 initiative order...

Solas - 19
Alliston - 14
Virgil - 14
Jacelyn - 14
Aranis - 14
Aditu - 14
Lizardmen - 9

there is no map. Aranis is 10' away from the archer, the rest of you are about 55 feet away. The archer is against the back wall of the tunnel, which turns to the left (from your pov). The other lizardman ran down the left hallway, but Aranis can't quite see down the hall from where he stands.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-04, 07:54 AM
Seeing that Jacelyn was well enough, Solas smiled with relief. That smiel was short lived as the 'captain' of this unit appeared. Solas turned to face this new foe. "Lady Jacelyn, please mark my charge."

With that Solas flew down the hall at the threat...

@GM

If I can charge the big guy I will, otherwise, whoever I can get to...
Charge-
Jump- [roll0]
Attack- [roll1](+2 Charge)
Dmg- [roll2]
Gloves- [roll3]

Edit-extra +1 to attack for Jump result

Firebeard
2010-08-04, 08:32 AM
Solas flies does the hall at a dead run, leaps into the air and slams his clenched fists down on the archer. The lizardman crumpled under the blow and lay sprawled on the floor. Now Solas too could see the other lizardman, not moving as fast as he would expect, making its way towards a torch-lit doorway at the end of a long hall.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-04, 08:43 AM
"Come and get me you over grown handbag!" Solas shouts and follows it up by shaking his head slightly side to side while sticking his tongue out :smallyuk:and "hissssssss"'ing

Solas then realizes he still has the potion of cure moderate in his hand. This realization makes his already achy body ache again... "Perhaps drinking the potion first would have been the wiser course of action here..."

He then begins to pray that someone else isn't too far behind him in attacking this monster, and that Javelyn's magic holds strong against this things blows...

Fuzzies
2010-08-05, 07:38 AM
Jacelyn ran down the hallway to where Solas and Aranis were fighting the last of the archers. Solas' shout had brought to her attention the fact that there was another lizardman down the hallway, apparently trying to get away. She prepared to sling a spell at it before it could get away.

double move to end of corridor and ready to throw a lesser orb at him when my turn next comes up

Aditu launched from Jacelyn's shoulder and flew high over the Lizardman's head, spraying a cone of icy shards as she got there.

damage: [roll0] cold, DC 12 half. If fail, -4 AC, -2 attack for 3 rounds

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-05, 03:01 PM
Aranis charges the nearest enemy.

Sorry for the complete lack of flavor, but I'm still a bit turned around on who's where.

Firebeard
2010-08-05, 03:57 PM
OOC

Sorry for the lack of maps, but this is kind of a running fight and it was difficult to set it up. For the record, the lizardman is about 30 feet away from you, standing on the left side of the hall. The hallway ends in a set of doors to the left about 30 feet past the lizardman.

There are no other living targets in sight.

Firebeard
2010-08-06, 07:24 AM
Aranis charged down the hallway towards the lizardman making its way slowly and carefully along. In the dim light in the hallway, Aranis did not see the reason for the lizardman's caution. He did, however, feel the sharp poke of the tiny spike through his boot, just barely missing his foot. The second stab actually punctured his heel, but did not make it through the skin. The third one, however, lanced through his boot and deep into the ball of his foot, causing immense pain. Aranis stumbled to a halt, but was still close enough to lash out with his sword.

The lizardman looked at the ground by his feet as Aranis came in swinging. His face blanched and he tried to scramble away from the Knight, but the caltrops were still hindering his movement. As Aranis made his final step, both he and the lizardman heard a "click" and the air around them was filled with arrows. The Knight's blow went wide as both he and the lizardman ducked away from the arrow swarm.

arrow @ Aranis: [roll0]
arrow @ Aranis: [roll2]
arrow @ Aranis: [roll4]

arrow @ Lizardman: [roll6]
arrow @ Lizardman: [roll8]
arrow @ Lizardman: [roll10]
damage: [roll11]

Aranis takes 2 damage and 13 damage before DR
Lizardman takes 8 damage total

@Aranis

You might want to call out about the trap and the caltrops, which you can see now cover the hallway for about 50 feet in front of you and 15 feet behind. You managed to pass through 2 squares on your charge, but stepped on one in the 3rd square. Your DR prevented the damage, so your charge went through, but for flavor I included the text above.

Firebeard
2010-08-06, 07:36 AM
The llizardman looked at Solas taunting him, and looked at the Knight so very close. He glanced at the arrow shafts sticking from his thigh and shoulder. Making up his mind, he moved away from the Knight, accepting the blow that must come, but desperate to get through the caltrops and tot he end of the hallway. As he moved, he began shouting "Kist theh chamarish! Kist theh chamarish!"

AoA (PA 3): [roll0]

The blade missed, and the creature moved off down the hall slowly in a weaving pattern, obviously trying to avoid the caltrops. The hallway is longer than it first appeared, nearly 100 feet long.

Round 3 initiative order...

Solas - 19
Alliston - 14
Virgil - 14
Jacelyn - 14
Aranis - 14
Aditu - 14
Lizardmen - 9

map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter3b.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-08-06, 08:05 AM
Solas downs the potion. He then runs at the lizard man...

@GM

Potion- [roll0]

Checking to see if I heard/saw Aranis grunt/stumble
QR- Spot- [roll1]
Listen- [roll2]

If I do, I'll jump from diagonally behind Aranis, recognizing the danger.
If not, He'll launch after he first feels the caltrops scrape against his Stone Skin.

Jump- [roll3]
This jump is for length more than height.

...Solas launches himself into the air at the lizardman

@GM

The jump carries me 20', and my move of 50' puts me exactly in the lizardman's square. That would put me at the full length of my move. Being as once I'm airborne I really don't have a hell of a lot of control I'm not sure how you want to adjudicate this...

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-06, 11:00 AM
Virgil follows the others as they make chase, keeping his bow close at hand.

Virgil will move closer, but if he sees the caltrops he will refrain from stepping on them. Not sure if that brings him to within Point Blank Shot range; if so, his attack and damage rolls should be 1 higher.
Spot: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
I'll burn an Inspiration point on the attack roll, making that a 16 before PBS. Still likely a miss, but that's a good enough damage roll not to at least try.
Double move to join the rest of the group.

Fuzzies
2010-08-06, 08:30 PM
Jacelyn watched as Aranis charged the attacker, and saw the barrage of arrows hit him as he approached. Her hands were in motion, grabbing the spell pouch from her waist and the words of an arcane spell were on her lips when Solas launched himself down the hallway towards the lizardman. Quickly she changed her mind and drew forth the wand of magic missiles. The missiles wouldn't accidentally hit Solas, and might be enough to drop the lizard anyways.

damage: [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-08-07, 08:21 AM
With a shout, Solas runs and leaps from behind Aranis, the move easily carrying him over 20 feet of caltrops and landing right next to the very surprised lizardman, who flinched as if he were expecting a blow. Solas felt the caltrops on the ground dig into his feet, but Jacelyn's spell easily held them at bay.

caltrop attack: [roll0] no shield, armor, or deflection bonuses allowed. +2 for footwear.

No damage.

When none came, the creature relaxed slightly, just in time for the blue force bolts of Jacelyn's spell to slam into it. Rocked by the blows, the lizardman nevertheless managed to keep its feet and continued to call out loudly.

Sliver
2010-08-07, 08:22 AM
Alliston moves to stand next to Aranis, ready to heal.

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-07, 03:55 PM
Aranis charges at the injured lizardman, ignoring the caltrops. "Watch out for traps!"

Damage (PA 3): [roll1]

Firebeard
2010-08-07, 05:42 PM
Aranis, knowing his magically-toughened skin will keep him from being harmed by the small spikes sticking up from the floor, charges forth to stop the fleeing lizardman. Five feet of razor adamantium lashes out at the reptilian humanoid, slashing it deeply across the back.

At the same moment, the floor beneath his feet gave slightly and the air was filled with arrows once again.

arrow@Aranis: [roll0]
arrow@Aranis: [roll2]
arrow@Aranis: [roll4]

arrow@Solas: [roll6]
arrow@Solas: [roll8]
arrow@Solas: [roll10]
arrow@Solas: [roll12]
damage: [roll13]

arrow@Lizardman: [roll14]
damage: [roll15]
arrow@Lizardman: [roll16]
damage: [roll17]
arrow@Lizardman: [roll18]
damage: [roll19]
arrow@Lizardman: [roll20]
damage: [roll21]

Looks like Aranis takes 2 damage, 3 damage, and 4 damage before DR
Solas takes 1 damage before DR (remember to subtract it from your DR total

And it looks like the lizardman is well and truly dead

The blow from Aranis was almost certainly fatal, but the arrows that slammed into the falling lizardman put it beyond question. Amazingly enough, despite the shouts and the sounds of the arrow traps, no one came to investigate.

Solas and Aranis are about halfway down the hall, with Alliston hobbling behind. About halfway between them is a door in the right hand side of the hallway, with another just beyond where Solas and Aranis are now. The lizardman appeared to be making his way carefully through the caltrops and traps to a set of double doors set in the right hand side fo the hallway, about 70 feet beyond where Aranis and Solas are now

Here's the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter3c.png)

The doors are in squares 8B and 16B.

The double doors are in 24B and 25B

Nox Lupus
2010-08-07, 09:39 PM
Solas, relying on his toughened skin, searches the captain...

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-08, 02:09 PM
Virgil carefully picks his way past the caltrops, having spotted the arrow trap. He slings his bow over his shoulder and removes a bundle of tools from his backpack. As he crouches near the wall, carefully scrutinizing the area, he whispers to his newly found companions, "Cover me."

I'ma disarm the trap!
Search: [roll0]
Disable Device: [roll1]

Sliver
2010-08-08, 02:55 PM
Alliston will begin treating his caltrop wounds.

Take 10 if I can, otherwise [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-08-08, 03:32 PM
OOC
Okay, moving through this hallway, I need you to be specific about where you step and what squares you are searching. Please use the coordinates on the last posted map.

Not to give it away or anything, but you know there are at least 2 trap triggers in the hallway.

And Alliston's heal check was enough to temporarily assuage the pain in his foot.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-08, 07:01 PM
"Does anyone need these..." Solas holds up the studded leather armor and maquahuitl...

Fuzzies
2010-08-09, 10:26 AM
"Just put them in the pack with the rest for now." said Jacelyn, bending to search the bodies at her feet. As she worked, she watched Virgil from the corner of her eye. He appeared to be working out just fine, and if he could find and disarm those traps that nailed Aranis, she'd be more than happy to have him continue working with them.

Firebeard
2010-08-09, 10:42 AM
Virgil called out for the others to be still, while he checked for traps. He knew there were at least 2 triggers on the left hand side (Aranis had hit those already), but was fairly certain there were others on the right side. Carefully he move forward, avoiding the caltrops and looking for any signs of trigger plates.

He found one almost immediately, about 15 feet in from where the caltrops started (B7 on your map). He looked at Alliston, only a fews steps from that area, and grinned at him. With his tools, he managed to lever up the false stone covering the trigger plate and disarmed the trap.

He found another a few steps forward on the west wall (A9). Again, he used his tools to safely disarm the device and moved ahead, drawing close to Aranis and Solas. He motioned for Aranis to carefully step back. As the Knight moved a barely audible "click" could be heard by the factotem, who was on the alert for any such sounds. "The trap rearmed itself. that's interesting" he said to no one in particular.

He moved forward, searching and pausing to probe the occasional stone. He found one more trigger plate, about 10 feet in front of Solas (A13) and disarmed it. The rest of the hallway appeared to be clean of traps all the way down tot he double doors at the end. Neither of the single doors leading to the left were trapped at all.

Firebeard
2010-08-09, 10:51 AM
On the archers, Jacelyn finds the usual assortment of broken bow staves, scattered arrows and torn armor. She did find that each of the archers had 2 arrows that were of higher quality than the others, with golden fletching. There are 2 potions of cat's grace, 1 of lesser restoration, and a golden ring that looked to be small enough to fit on her tiny hands.

The most curious thing was a seal or amulet of sorts, covered with grime and defaced with deep slash marks across the front. The defaced side appeared to be a stylized sun, rising over a stream and a field of growing things, but it was so badly scarred that it was hard to make out.

Fuzzies
2010-08-09, 01:55 PM
Jacelyn gathered up the items that she thought they could use, leaving the mundane things behind. The arrows would go to Virgil, seeing how he used that bow of his to such good effect int hat last battle. Looking at the amulet, Jacelyn said "This is interesting, a sun over a stream and fields. Isn't that a symbol of Lathander? Alliston, what do you make of this?" Walking carefully to where Alliston was waiting in the hallway - avoiding the traps that Virgil had been disarming, Jacleyn brought him the amulet.

I'm assuming it's a religious item, and it sounds like the symbol of Lathander.

K. Arcana, just in case [roll0]

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-09, 02:06 PM
Aranis studies the marking for a moment before returning to watch duty, using the last of his healing abilities to close his wounds - although the healing runs out too soon to completely close the vicious maquahuitil strikes from outside.

K. Arcana: [roll0]

Using the last 11 points of Aranis's Lay on Hands to bring his HP up to 38/50.

Firebeard
2010-08-09, 02:24 PM
Looking at the amulet, Alliston couldn't make out all that much. It seemed like a symbol of the Morninglord, but the scarring was too heavy to be sure. Reaching out, he took the amulet from Jacelyn to peer at it closer. The cleric nearly dropped the amulet in amazement when the gouges and markings disappeared before his eyes. In less than a minute, the amulet was whole again, clearly showing a rising sun over a flowing stream with verdant crops in the foreground.

Alliston can make another k. knowledge check now.

Sliver
2010-08-09, 02:26 PM
Alliston draws the amulet closer and examines it again, trying to recall anything about it, maybe it will be more recognizable now..

[roll0]

Nox Lupus
2010-08-09, 02:27 PM
Solas approaches and presents the items of note from the captain...

Firebeard
2010-08-09, 02:43 PM
@Alliston

As the amulet repaired itself, Alliston was struck by a memory of an artifact that he had read about, but had never before seen. It was called a Morning Light, and was an amulet presented to champions of Lathander, imbued with a little of the Morning Lord's own power. They were purported to protect their bearers against the powers of the Undead, and provide them resources to call upon to defeat those powers.

Because the medallions were given to active champions - men and women who fought against the Morninglord's enemies - many were lost or destroyed. Many more were damaged, but the tome had said that in the hands of a true follower of Lathander, the medallion would heal itself.

Furthermore, Allsiton recalled that the book had said that certain rituals were required to unlock the powers of the medallion. The book had only mentioned one, however. The one who would bear the amulet must first devote himself to an ideal of the Morninglord - Good, Healing, Protection, or Sun aspects - and show his devotion through sacrifice of worldly wealth

Game Statistics:

The Morning Light is a silver holy symbol of resistance +1. As long as it is worn openly, it grants the bearer +1 to all saving throws.

Additional powers can be granted through performing certain rituals.

Least Legacy Ritual: you must have one of the following Devotion feats from Complete Champion: Good, Healing, Protection, or Sun. Cost: 1850 gp. Feat Granted: Least Legacy (Morning Light)

Sliver
2010-08-09, 03:09 PM
Alliston clutches the amulet as he closes his eyes and mouths a silent prayer. "I'm afraid," he finally says "That true champions of Lathander had died here before.." he slowly puts on the amulet, together with his old one. "I shall carry this, for now... You don't mind, do you?" His voice isn't happy, when talking about this rare find.

Firebeard
2010-08-09, 03:16 PM
As soon as Alliston puts on the amulet, it glows faintly with the light of dawn. the illumination is roughly the equivalent of a small candle flame.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-10, 09:01 AM
With a :smallsmile:, Solas says "It likes you brother."

Fuzzies
2010-08-10, 09:12 AM
Jacelyn ignores the banter between the Lathanderites and goes to Virgil as soon as he completes his sweep. She hands him the bundle of arrows and one of the potions of Cat's Grace. "Just in case" she says.

Aditu flies back to her shoulder and the two look at the nearest single door. "Shall we open it?" she asks Aranis and Virgil.

Sliver
2010-08-10, 09:15 AM
Alliston shrugs "It's not mine to keep..." he says as he pulls out the monocle and hands it to Jacelyn "I'm sure you are better with the art of the arcane than me, you might be able to use it..."

Fuzzies
2010-08-10, 09:25 AM
"Thank you Alliston. Can you and Aranis keep watch while I evaluate these items? I think I remember how Jonathan used this thing."

That said, she takes the monocle and puts it on, then cast Detect Magic and began concentrating, first on the hallway around them, and then on the items in their possession.

"Do you want me to look at that amulet while I am at it?"

Firebeard
2010-08-10, 09:39 AM
To Jacelyn's eyes, the hallway around them is quite normal, with no radiance of magic that she can discern. Her companions are another story, each glowing with magical essence, mostly focuses on their weapons and clothing.

The items they acquired from the lizardmen are mostly mundane, with a scattering of magic in their midst. Primarily the arrows, two sets of studded leather armor, a maquahuitl, and an earring.

I'll give you the potions for free, because you've used most of them before.

The magical items you found (since arriving at the temple) are:

3 potions of cat's grace
1 potion of bull's strength
4 potions of cure moderate wounds (Solas drank one)
1 potion of lesser restoration

8 +1 arrows
2 +1 studded leather armors
earring of move silently +3
+1 maquahuitl

Sliver
2010-08-10, 09:40 AM
Alliston shakes his head "It's fine, thanks for offering."

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-10, 01:03 PM
Virgil dusts his hands off as he places his thieves' tools back in his pack. He looks at the modest pile of spoils, listening to the description of each item of note.
"I've disabled the remaining traps in this hall. We can proceed, but the alarm has obviously been raised; I'd expect heavy resistance if we push much further. I'll take those arrows if nobody wants them."

Fuzzies
2010-08-10, 01:09 PM
Jacelyn just shrugged at Alliston's response and handed the arrows over to Virgil. "We may still be good to go. These stone walls appear thick, and they can absorb a lot of sound. The fact that no one has rushed in on us yet is a good clue that no one else is aware of our presence. That lizardman appeared to be bypassing these two doors and heading towards the one at the end of the hall. Which begs the question: why there?"

Sliver
2010-08-10, 01:12 PM
"Shortcut? The other place had a hidden passage..." Alliston examines the others if they have any severe wounds in need to be treated.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-10, 01:12 PM
"There could be more lizardmen in that direction. For the sake of thoroughness, I suggest we explore the side passages first."
And with that, Virgil begins a careful examination of the side doors, checking them for hidden traps or other unusual features.

Search check: [roll0]
Search check: [roll1]
Would you rather those be rolled in secret? *shrugs*

Nox Lupus
2010-08-10, 02:25 PM
"Lets move then, I'm not sure how much longer this spell Jacelyn placed on me will last, but I want to make as much of it as possible count."" With that Solas fllows Virgil's advice and proceeds toward the first side passage.

@GM

QR- (as needed)
Spot- [roll0]
Listen- [roll1]

Firebeard
2010-08-10, 04:11 PM
Solas opens the first door on the right, and Alliston's light is enough to dimly illuminate what appears to be a storage room. Boxes and barrels are stacked in a haphazard fashion, many empty and some broken.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-10, 04:15 PM
Solas gives a cursory look to see if any of the containers look better made or secured than the others... or any other odd features in the room.

@GM

QR-
Spot- [roll0]
Listen- [roll1]

Reactionary
Spot- [roll2]

Firebeard
2010-08-10, 04:17 PM
OOC

A cursory glance doesn't really give Solas any more information. A Search check is needed if you want to learn more.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-10, 04:32 PM
If Virgil is nearby...

"friend... er, Virgil wasn't it. Would you mind taking a look in here. I believe you have sharper eyes than I, for fine details" :smallsmile:

Fuzzies
2010-08-11, 02:24 PM
As Solas and Virgil check out the storeroom, Jacelyn says "Alliston, I think I could use some healing if you can. I don't feel too good."

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-11, 06:50 PM
Aranis continues standing watch, preferring to let the newcomer check things over. "I could use some as well, but I doubt that my need is as great. Take care of Jacelyn first."

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-11, 09:44 PM
Virgil steps into the storeroom, and gives it a quick-yet-thorough search. He keeps his ears trained on the hallway, though, in case more enemies approach.

(Search: [roll0] )

Firebeard
2010-08-12, 07:03 AM
Virgil takes a more thorough look at the room, but finds nothing more of interest than Solas did. Quickly levering the top off of a few crates and barrels, he found some smoked meats, dried fruits, and a barrel of nearly rancid water. This was obviously a larder or storeroom of some kind.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-12, 07:37 AM
After receiving assurances that there is nothing of further interest in the first room, Solas moves on to the next...

@GM

QR-
Spot- [roll0]
Listen- [roll1]

Reactive-
Spot- [roll2]
Listen- [roll3]

Firebeard
2010-08-12, 07:46 AM
A tumble of blankets, cots, broken furniture, and things that look to have been washed up on the shore of the island fill this room. Most of the items are made of wood, and there is evidence that some of the items have been broken up deliberately.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-12, 08:29 AM
Solas looks back at Virgil and nods him over to have a look.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-12, 03:37 PM
"Somehow I doubt we've found their main treasure chambers..." mutters Virgil as he quickly gives the next room a once-over.

(Search: [roll0] )

Firebeard
2010-08-12, 03:51 PM
Virgil sees very little of value in the room, other than the obvious. There is, however, evidence that some of the broken furniture was carved with religious symbols in it. One headboard in particular showed signs of sun iconography.

Sliver
2010-08-13, 01:07 AM
"Perhaps we should stock on some food while we have the chance? We don't know if we'll get the chance later, as we were already escorted outside once..." Alliston suggests as he glances at the dried fruit.

Fuzzies
2010-08-13, 07:22 AM
"Good idea Alliston. Perhaps we should stock up a bit." Jacelyn goes intot the food storeroom and picks about 5 pounds of the nicer looking dried fruits and meats and stashes them in a pouch in her haversack.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-13, 08:00 AM
Not needing provisions, Solas keeps watch for any signs of the enemy...

@GM

QR-
Spot- [roll0]
Listen- [roll1]

Reactionary-
Spot- [roll2]
Listen- [roll3]

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-13, 11:44 AM
Aranis also restocks, bringing himself up to 12 total days' worth of rations.

Fuzzies
2010-08-13, 12:35 PM
"I guess it's time to see what's behind door number 3. Since it's the only obvious way out, perhaps we should assume that there are more lizardmen on the other side? Also, if that was where the last one was running to, we probably don't want to announce ourselves before we are ready."

Nox Lupus
2010-08-13, 02:02 PM
Solas wil move to said door (without touching it) to see if he can detect any signs of more lizardmen...

@GM

QR-
Spot- [roll0]
Listen- [roll1]

Reactionary
Spot- [roll2]
Listen- [roll3]

Firebeard
2010-08-13, 02:16 PM
Solas sidles up to the door and manages to hear something through the obviously thick wood. It is not the sound of running feet, or shouts of alarm. Not even the violent sound of silence as someone lies in wait beyond. It almost sounds like a droning buzz of chanting in some language quite unlike common.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-13, 02:47 PM
Solas looks back and points to Jacelyn and Aranis. He gestures for them to come closer.

Solas, looking at Aranis, points to his eyes and then points to the door...

He then looks to Jacelyn... a puzzled look crosses his face for a moment as he considers his mime... Solas decides to again point at his eyes, then toward the door. As he finishes this gesture, he waggles his fingers mocking the somatic motions of a spell.

He then waits for their replies...

Nox Lupus
2010-08-13, 02:50 PM
Once Jacelyn replies, Solas looks at her, then points to his ears and then toward the door...

Fuzzies
2010-08-13, 02:59 PM
Jacelyn moved up beside Soals and whispered "I don't have any spells prepared that can listen or see through that door. I'm afraid all we can do is open it and be ready for what awaits on the other side. I do have a few spells prepard taht could help out of that front though." She steps back slightly and begins to rummage through her spell components pouch, grabbing some of this and a little of that.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-13, 03:03 PM
Solas shakes his head. He then points at Jacelyn, then his ears, then the door...

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-13, 03:06 PM
Aranis nods. "One moment." He says quietly, before his eyes take on a slight shine...

It's that time again!

Detect Evil, aimed at the door for 18 seconds.

Fuzzies
2010-08-13, 03:13 PM
Jacelyn whispered again. "Oh stop with the mimery! If they didn't hear the explosions, traps, yelling, and battle cries already, they aren't likely to hear a whisper." That said, she put her ear to the door and listened.

Listen: [roll0]

And to save time, some knowledge checks on what (if anything ) I hear.
k. arcana: [roll1]
k. history: [roll2]
k. the planes: [roll3]
spellcraft: [roll4]

Firebeard
2010-08-13, 03:23 PM
@Aranis

You send your senses beyond the door, looking for any evil presence. You detect nothing. You keep at it for a few more seconds, but still nothing.

@Jacelyn

You hear a faint murmuring sound, but cannot make out anything specific.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-13, 03:23 PM
Solas winces at Jacelyn's outburst...

Fuzzies
2010-08-13, 03:26 PM
Shrugging, Jacelyn indicated that she couldn't hear anything of import.

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-13, 06:25 PM
Aranis shakes his head. "I can't sense any evil auras beyond the door."

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-14, 01:50 PM
Virgil scrutinizes the door, just to make sure it too isn't trapped...

(Search the door! [roll0]
... and fail!)

Firebeard
2010-08-14, 02:27 PM
@Virgil

As far as you can tell, the double doors are unlocked and untrapped.

Fuzzies
2010-08-14, 08:59 PM
"So, do we try and open it a few inches and see what we can see? Or blast through it fast and take advantage of the surprise?"

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-15, 12:52 PM
Virgil nocks an arrow to his bow, and stands behind the rest of the group, with a good view of the door. "We've already lost the element of surprise. I say our close-quarters experts open this door, and we proceed beyond... hopefully not into a trap..."

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-15, 06:18 PM
"Alright then."

Aranis walks up to the door and readies his weapon. "Say when..."

Firebeard
2010-08-15, 09:33 PM
When all have assented, Aranis slams out an armored foot an kicks the double doors wide. The left one rebounds off a wall and closes about halfway.

Directly ahead of you, there is a lizardman, dressed in robes and decorated with bits of bone, skulls, and what appears to be a mantle of skin. He is holding a golden skull over his head and chanting loudly. Before him stands a large cauldron, but no fire is lit beneath it. Around him are piles of skulls that appear to be painted in different colors.

On the far side of the room is a set of double wooden doors. An enormous set of stone doors in on the wall to your right, nearly 20 feet high and 10 feet wide.
Standing in front of these doors is a group of 6 lizardmen, kneeling on the stone floor, staring at the stone doors expectantly.

Surprise round to the heroes!

Here is the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter4a.png)

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-15, 10:25 PM
Aranis gets his footing back after his kick and begins advancing on the shaman, wondering what the lizardmen were waiting on. Apparently not us.

Move to H2.

Fuzzies
2010-08-16, 07:13 AM
Looks like we are doing this the hard way then. Jacelyn stepped into the doorway where Aranis had stood seconds earlier. An aura of cold surrounded her as she began to speak arcane words. "Ventas frigidus!" she cried as she released a ball of freezing energy, which quickly expanded as it flew towards the kneeling lizardmen.

5' to B3 and cast Scintillating Sphere at N8. DC19 half

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Sliver
2010-08-16, 07:59 AM
Alliston quickly takes in the new image and makes a rash decision, and as soon as most of his companions clear the entry, he sprints into the room, drawing his weapon as he goes.

Run action to J10. He is within reach of those... Stone doors, right?

Nox Lupus
2010-08-16, 09:00 AM
Solas holds and prepares to move...

@Gm

Going at the VERY start of the next round...

Damn, I forgot to claim the potion of bull strength... whose got the stuff that wasnt claimed by anyone?

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-16, 10:30 AM
Virgil, noticing the chanting shaman, figures that he is the greatest threat, and considering the reaction of the lizardmen previously, picks him as the target of his first attack...

Attack vs. the chanting guy: [roll0]

Grr... I'll toss in an IP on the attack roll, making the attack roll 17.

Firebeard
2010-08-16, 11:01 AM
The lizardman cleric stops chanting as the door flies open and the group rushes in. Not taking the time to chat amiably, Jacelyn launches a ball of expanding frost at the kneeling lizardmen before the stone doors. the resulting explosion sends reptiloid corpses tumbling in all directions, with one 'lucky' soldier remaining upright but bloody.

Virgil's arrow glanced off the cleric's bone armor and clattered against the far wall. The cleric raised the golden skull in one hand and dropped it into the cauldron in front of him before drawing forth a massive spiked cudgel, glittering with flakes of red obsidian and jagged bone teeth.

Initiative rolls:

Aditu: [roll3]
Alliston: [roll4]
Virgil: [roll5]

Round 1 initiative order

Aditu - 20
Solas - 17
Aranis -17
Virgil - 12
Jacelyn - 10
Lizardmen - 6
Alliston - 6

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter4b.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-08-16, 12:50 PM
Solas bolts towards the chanting lizardman...

@GM

Solas bullrushes the cauldron-

Bullrush Str chk- [roll0]

GM Fiat- Solas is trying to knock the caudron over and spill the contents. Bullrush seems the most appropriate action... but since this is against an inanimate object, I'm not entire sure how this is going to go, especially with the AoO from the lizard-priest and the resulting 25% chance of him hitting the cauldron.

Firebeard
2010-08-16, 01:04 PM
Solas slams into the cauldron at full speed...and feels as if he has run into a brick wall. The cauldron does not budge, and Solas' pain toughened limbs instead feel as if someone had slammed them with an iron hammer. The priest lashes out with his maquahuitl and tries to cave in Solas' head while the monk is still reeling from the shock.

AoO@Solas: [roll0]

Solas takes 17 damage

The blow slammed into Solas' head, the jagged bits of bone and obsidian leaving bloody furrows down his neck and shoulders.

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-16, 07:12 PM
Aranis charges, thinking about hitting the cauldron himself until he sees Solas bounce off of it and get mauled by the shaman. When he reaches the shaman, he lunges forward, light shining very briefly from his sword and eyes as he shouts, "Back off!"

Charge directly at the shaman. Use smite attack at the end of it.

Attack (Smite, Charge, PA 5): [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-08-16, 09:22 PM
With a cry to the Seldarine, Aranis charges the Lizardman priest. Sword glowing with a holy light, he struck out with a looping cut that took the priest in the shoulder and exited just below his navel. The two pieces of the reptiloid slid to the ground with a meaty thunk as the lone soldier gaped in awe and terror.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-16, 10:02 PM
Satisfied to see the danger has almost completely passed, Virgil taps into the reservoir of lore and inspiration within his head as he nocks another arrow and fires at the last remaining lizardfolk, aiming for a quick kill...

I'll burn my last 2 IP, why not? Moving three squares east, then firing.

Firebeard
2010-08-17, 06:51 AM
Virgil's arrow took the stunned lizardman in the temple, blasting its way through the head, and partly exiting the other side. The lizardman soldier slumped to the side, eyes fixed and staring. Only seconds had passed since Aranis kicked in the doorway.

Suddenly, the other door in the same wall as the one the party entered through banged open. Two large lizardmen rushed through, one heading for Alliston and the other rushing Aranis. Four more soldiers filtered into the room, spreading out and pulling a collection of maquahuitls and bows from their straps.

The champion against Alliston swept his falchions across in a heavy 2-handed blow intended to swipe the cleric's head from his shoulders.

With a snarl, the other champion charged Aranis, intending the Knight to pay for what he had done to the priest. The heavy blade whipped through the air so fast it almost whistled.

@Alliston - should you choose to invoke your PD, do so before reading this block please

falchion@Alliston: [roll0]

Alliston takes 15 damage

falchion@Aranis: [roll2]

Aranis takes 35 damage before DR

Lizards came in during the lizardmen count. Alliston goes, then Round 2 starts. Sorry jacelyn, you missed Round 1 actions because your companions mopped up everything left in Round 1 :)

Round 2 initiative order

Aditu - 20
Solas - 17
Aranis -17
Virgil - 12
Jacelyn - 10
Lizardmen - 6
Alliston - 6

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter4c.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-08-17, 07:11 AM
Solas, shakes off the more-painful-than-it-looked blow from the priest, who was now only half the priest he used to be. Seeing Aranis take a stinging hit sets the monk's feet in motion. Circling around the threatening brute, Solas gets in behind it and attacks...

@GM

Move- O2 -> M2, M2-> L3, L3->L4, L4-> M5= 30'

Attack- [roll0] (plus any clerical bonuses)
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Sliver
2010-08-17, 10:08 AM
"Can't we talk th- OW!" says alliston is he is hit. Moving back, he begins chanting and drawing his weapon. "Feel the heat!"

5ft step up. Casting Heat Metal on the three iguanas' armor below Alliston on the map and Divine Retaliation.

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-17, 07:52 PM
Aranis actually shrieks with the hit -

The wilhelm scream, to be precise.

- and somehow remains upright. He jerkily pulls his sword back into a guard position and starts swinging.

Fuzzies
2010-08-17, 09:46 PM
Jacelyn steps into the room to get a better look at the combat. The newcomers apparently learned from the fates of the others before them and had spread out so that she was unlikely to be able to get more than 2 of them together in a single blast.

Jacelyn felt a small pressure on her shoulder as Aditu raised herself up and breathed an icy cone of frost at the lizardman engaged with Alliston. Then, the mephit settled once more in the protection of her cloak.

Jacelyn fingered the crystal in the pouch on the back of her glove and made small gestures. Arcane words poured forth as she first activated the gloves, then the crystal, then finally threw blue-white bolts of force at teh new attackers.

5' to C3

Aditu's cone of cold at lizardman in D5. Ref DC12 or -4AC and -2 atk for 3 rounds.
[roll0] damage

Empowered magic missile with gloves (+2 CL) at Alliston's target
[roll1] x 1.5 = 28 damage

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-17, 10:46 PM
Feeling somewhat foolish for having expended so much of his spur-of-the-moment inspirational zeal, Virgil nevertheless moves into the room, picking from among the ample targets. He needed room to maneuver, in case they closed the gap... He nocks, looses, and draws another arrow in the blink of an eye...

Moving to E2, and firing at the lizardman at I4

Firebeard
2010-08-18, 06:41 AM
Reflex save for cone of cold [roll0].

Solas and Aranis split up, surrounding the champion and lashing blows at it from either side. Deciding the heavily armed and armored Knight was more of a threat, the lizardman focused his defense tot he front, leaving Solas free to slam a well-placed blow into its lower back. The lizardman hissed through sharp teeth but appeared to ignore the blow otherwise.

The cone of frost and ice chunks covers the dark talon champion, who twisted and writhed, trying to keep the freezing cold from his skin. The distraction, for that is what it was intended to be, kept him from noticing the speeding bolts of force that came from the wizard until it was far too late to do anything. In quick succession the missiles slammed into the lizardman, nearly knocking him from his feet.

Virgil's arrow skipped off the soldier's shoulder and whizzed past Solas' ear in its flight. The lizardman smiled a reptilian smile at Virgil - a smile that promised pain.

The scattered lizardmen broke into action then, converging on the two clusters of intruders with a skill not yet seen in the defenders of this temple. Two converged on Solas, jagged clubs smashing down on the monk.

The others attacked Alliston and Virgil, supported by the awesome fighting abilities of the champion in their midst.

@Sliver, if you are going to pop a PD, please do so BEFORE reading this

F1maquahuitl@Virgil: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]

E3maquahuitl@Virgil: [roll3] + charging
damage: [roll4]

champion@Alliston: [roll5]
damage: [roll6]

champion@Aranis: [roll7]
damage: [roll8]

M6maquahuitl@Solas: [roll9]
damage: [roll10]

L6maquahuitl@Solas: [roll11] + charging
damage: [roll12]

Edit: pathetic, just pathetic :smallconfused:

Lizardmen just went, Alliston's turn then begin Round 3

Round 3 initiative order

Aditu - 20
Solas - 17
Aranis -17
Virgil - 12
Jacelyn - 10
Lizardmen - 6
Alliston - 6

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter4d.png)

Sliver
2010-08-18, 07:19 AM
Alliston gets hit pretty badly as he moves back and heals himself, while throwing up his defensive aura.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-18, 07:35 AM
Solas launches into a flurry of punches, then says to Aranis"Aranis, shift!" :smallmad:

At that Solas slid out from between the two flanking lizardmen

@GM

Flurry-
Attack1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack2-[roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

5' adjust to M4

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-18, 10:53 AM
Virgil somersaults away from his scaly attackers. On one knee he fires an arrow at his previous target, before getting back to his feet, prepared to continue his acrobatic evasion techniques...

Auto-succeed on a Tumble check, moving 3 squares east, and attacking the lizardman I shot at last time. Also, I forgot to add in Knowledge Devotion last turn, making that attack roll 17 and the damage roll 11, in case that made any difference.

Firebeard
2010-08-18, 11:06 AM
@Virgil

Auto-succeed on a Tumble check, moving 3 squares east, and attacking the lizardman I shot at last time. Also, I forgot to add in Knowledge Devotion last turn, making that attack roll 17 and the damage roll 11, in case that made any difference.

KD didn't help, but I'm glad you reminded me. Did you add it to this attack roll as well?

Also, I only see a +14 on your tumble skill, which is fine to get past the first guy, but the second lizardman is a separate check at DC17 (+2 for each additional opponent)

Fuzzies
2010-08-19, 02:55 PM
Jacelyn step back with Alliston, knowing that his armor is a lot more effective against the melee abilities of the champion. As she does so, she calls on arcane powers to launch two fiery rays at the nearest lizardmen.

5' to C1, behind Alliston.

ranged touch@champion in D4: [roll0]

ranged touch@soldier in F1: [roll2]

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-19, 04:07 PM
Aranis sidesteps as well, rotating around the champion at the same time Solas does, keeping opposite the monk. He keeps swinging. No defense lasts forever.

Five foot adjust to remain flanking with Solas.

Attack 1 (PA 4, flanking): [roll0]
Attack 2 (PA 4, flanking): [roll1]

Firebeard
2010-08-20, 07:28 AM
Aranis and Solas dance with the 3 lizardmen n their side, trading somewhat ineffectual blows, but avoiding harm themselves. Aranis does manage to land a good strike on the champion, whose armor cracks with the blow.

On the other side of the hall, the lizardmen close in on Alliston and Jacelyn, backing them into a corner. One of the soldiers bleeds heavily from the wounds Jacelyn's spell gave him, and the champion pauses in his raging advance to pull a potion from his belt and quaff it down. Smoke rises from the lizardmen's armor and weapons as Alliston's spell begins to take effect.

Heat metal@D1: [roll0]
Heat metal@D2: [roll1]
Heat metal@D4: [roll2]

maquahuitl@Jacelyn: [roll3]
damage: [roll4]

maquahuitl@Aliston: [roll5]
damage: [roll6]

maquahuitl@Solas[roll7] flanking
damage: [roll8]

maquahuitl@Aranis[roll9] flanking
damage: [roll10]

falchion@Aranis[roll11] flanking
damage: [roll12]

Jacelyn takes 8 damage.
Aranis takes 16 damage before DR.

Lizardmen just went, Alliston's turn then begin Round 4 (see OOC for retaliation strikes)

Round 4 initiative order

Aditu - 20
Solas - 17
Aranis -17
Virgil - 12
Jacelyn - 10
Lizardmen - 6
Alliston - 6

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter4e.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-08-20, 09:16 AM
Solas continues his assault-and-shift tactics... :smallmad:

@GM

Flurry-
Attack1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack2-[roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

5' adjust to N3

Note: not that it made a difference but my last attacks should have been at +11 instead of +12.... Flurrying and all that, :smallbiggrin:

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-20, 01:04 PM
Aranis staggers under the new hit, close to going down. He attempts to eliminate one of the flankers before circling.

Attacking the lizardman behind him, then five foot adjusting to flank with Solas.

Attack 1 (PA 1): [roll0]
Attack 2 (PA 1): [roll1]

Damage 1 (PA 1): [roll2]
Damage 2 (PA 1): [roll3]

Warning! Aranis is at 4 hp.

Sliver
2010-08-20, 01:15 PM
I do not what retaliation you speak of. It's a 1 round spell...

Anyway, Alliston easily blocks the strike retaliates (hah!) with a useless attack of his own, which would surely not crit.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Damn, taunting the dice this time didn't work.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-20, 04:15 PM
Virgil fires again at the lizardmen harrying his allies in the corner, growing increasingly concerned by the fact that they are somewhat split, and fighting on two fronts. Still, he is confident he has enough tricks up his sleeve to see the battle through...

Firing at the lizard in D1, or else D2 should he go down.

Firebeard
2010-08-21, 08:53 AM
The lizardman before Jacelyn was licking his lips with a forked purple tongue, imagining what he was about to do to the wizard that had hurt him so much, when Virgil's arrow punched through his back. The red, wet head of the arrow pushed a few inches out through the reptilian chest, just enough for it to get a good look at his own life's blood on the steel tip before slumping to the ground, dead.

Jacelyn is no longer threatened by the lizardman in D1

Fuzzies
2010-08-21, 09:24 AM
Jacelyn breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Virgil's arrow drop the lizardman in front of her. Her heart beat rapidly and she knew that she was running out of spellpower. Jacelyn watched the champion throw back a potion adn some color come back to its face. If she didn't do something, it would be back in the fight in just a few seconds.

Dodging under the other lizardman's arms, she leaned out and sent another stream of magic missiles at the champion, hoping to catch it unawares and prehaps drop it before it could bring that wicked faalchion to bear against her or Alliston again.

Concentration DC16 for casting defensively [roll0] FAILED??!?!!?!?
Last spellshard use of the day
Magic Missiles: [roll1] x 1.5

Firebeard
2010-08-21, 10:10 AM
The lizards' armor began to really smoke in earnest as Alliston's spell took full effect. Slapping at their burning skin, the lizardmen's attacks were less effective than other wise. The soldier threatening Jacelyn gave a rasping cryand fell to the ground, succumbing to its burns.

Aranis was in dire straights, with the champion on one side and a soldier on the other. The knight was taking a beating and there didn't seem to be much they could do about it with Alliston trapped on the other side of the room.

The soldier's spiked club caught Aranis a blow on his unarmored head. The knight's vision flashed red and the everything went black as he tumbled to the stone floor.

Distracted by Aranis' fall, Solas did not see the Champion's massive blade until the falchion caught hin under the ribs, tearing through internal organs and doing massive damage on the way out

Heat metal@D2: [roll0] soldier dies
Heat metal@C3 [roll1]

maquahuitl@Jacelyn: [roll2]

falchion@Alliston: [roll4]

maquahuitl@Solas[roll6] flanking

If the first hit drops aranis, the champion will swing at Solas instead

maquahuitl@Aranis[roll8] flanking

edit: aranis down, so the champion moves to Solas, crit roll in the OOC
falchion@Aranis[roll10] flanking

Alliston takes 20 damage.
Aranis takes 9 damage before DR and falls to the ground unconscious and dying.
Solas takes 17 damage.

Lizardmen just went, Alliston's turn then begin Round 5

Round 5 initiative order

Aditu - 20
Solas - 17
Aranis -17
Virgil - 12
Jacelyn - 10
Lizardmen - 6
Alliston - 6

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter4f.png)

Nox Lupus
2010-08-22, 08:14 PM
Solas continues his assault...

@GM

Attack1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack2- [roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

Note: if that first hit drops the middle lizardman, the second hit is against the guy 'above' Solas.

Shift to M4

...Then sees his friend being pounded on Solas shouts "Aranis, get the hells out of here. I'll cover you as best I can. ... and then sees him fall "ARANIS!!!"

Fuzzies
2010-08-23, 10:23 AM
Jacelyn screams as she sees Aranis fall to the ground. She rushes towards him, hand digging for the healing wand in her belt when she realizes that however hurt Aranis was, there were still other threats in the room, specifically one preventing their healer from getting to him.

She turned as she slid to a halt beside Virgil and launched an orb of sparking energy towards the lizardman fighting Alliston, hoping to take it out of the fight so that the assimar could tend to their fallen friend.

Move to H1 beside Virgil. Cast Lesser Orb of Electricity at the champion in C3

ranged touch: [roll0]

@Firebeard
When is Aditu's magic missile ready again? She used it in the fight outside the temple.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-23, 11:44 AM
As Jacelyn moves up to unleash a bolt of electricity at the most dangerous enemy in the room Virgil decides it's time to focus fire: he too fires an arrow at the blood-stained lizard champion, in the hopes of bringing it down quickly. However, he fumbles with the arrow at his quiver, dropping it on the ground in an accidental moment of clumsiness.

I'll attack the champion in C3 as well, unless he's down by Virgil's turn, in which case I'll attack any other lizardfolk near Aranis. I'll also move to I3, bringing them into PBS range.

Sliver
2010-08-24, 09:45 AM
Sorry for delay

Alliston rushes past the bodies, trying to avoid the lizard attack, as his hands begin to glow halfway towards Aranis. He hurries and places them over the armor, channeling curative energy.

12 HP.

Firebeard
2010-08-24, 12:45 PM
Alliston ran for his fallen friend in an attempt to stop the blood flowing from Aranis' still form. He is sped on his way by a vicious back-swing from the lizardman champion's falchion, which crumples the armor over his left shoulder slightly and rips into the exposed flesh of the neck there.

Jacelyn took advantage of Alliston's distraction to put some distance between her and the lizardman. Jacelyn's spell, an orb of crackling electricity, slammed into the champion's body. It stood there for a moment, staring at the smoking hole its chest, before falling to the floor.

Solas, enraged by Aranis' fall, lashed out at the Champion before him with such fury that his blow actually caved in the chest of the creature. He spun with agile footwork and planted another vicious blow on the soldier behind him, which rocked the reptiloid back on its heels.

In response, the soldier swung at Solas with its jagged club, not quite as confident as it had been a moment before. The other remaining lizardmen looked at the fallen champions and then bolted for the door on the far side of the room.

Both champions are dead, one soldier remains to fight, and one is running for the door.

Alliston gets an AoO on the running lizard, if he chooses.

maquahuitl@Solas[roll0]

Lizardmen just went, Alliston's turn then begin Round 6

Round 6 initiative order

Aditu - 20
Solas - 17
Aranis -17
Virgil - 12
Jacelyn - 10
Lizardmen - 6
Alliston - 6

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter4g.png)

Sliver
2010-08-24, 01:29 PM
Alliston grabs his open wound on his way to Aranis and seems to have trouble breathing as he manages to clear his throat... By coughing blood on Aranis' armor. Concentrating, Alliston manages to swing his morningstar weakly, the injury taking it's toll, before conjuring the glow around his arms and creates enough healing energy to wake the paladin.

Touch of Healing for 12hp. Alliston is at 3 :smalleek:

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-24, 02:02 PM
Relieved to see the champions defeated, Virgil sends an arrow at the fleeing lizardman, in the hopes of preventing him from spreading the alarm elsewhere in the temple complex...

Attacking Mr. Scaredy Lizard.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-24, 02:11 PM
Solas charges the fleeing guard :smallfurious:...

@GM

Charge & Jump- U5

Jump- [roll0]

Attack- [roll1]
Dmg- [roll2]
Gloves- [roll3]

Solas clears six vertical feet and almost comes crashing down upon the fleeing lizardman.

Firebeard
2010-08-24, 02:34 PM
Solas leaps after the fleeing lizardman, barely avoiding the attacks of the lizardman beside him. He landed next to the reptile, but his blows fell wide. Fortunately, Virgil chose that moment to send a shaft winging across the room. The arrow's head barely missing the monk and slamming into the lizardman, pinning the lizard to the wooden door.

Alliston's healing energy flowed into Aranis, and the Knight opened his eyes and blinked slowly up at the asasimar cleric.

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-24, 05:01 PM
Aranis's voice is more groggy and sarcastic than you've ever heard it - you're not sure he's even aware that there are other people in the room. "Oh goody... I'm awake."

Fuzzies
2010-08-25, 07:44 AM
Jacelyn stepped towards the lone lizardman and pulled a glass lens from her pouch. Holding it in her hand, she chanted "classis dumare!" and a bolt of blue-tinged flame leaped from her hands to strike at the lizardman, wreathing it in flames.

ranged touch: [roll0]

DC16 Reflex of catch on fire, taking 1d6 points of fire damage until the flames are put out.

Firebeard
2010-08-25, 07:56 AM
The wreathing blue flames struck the last lizardman soldier and he fell to the ground screaming. His screams were short lived and soon the only sounds were the dull crackle of flames as the cold blur fire consumed clothing and flesh. The not-unpleasant smell of roasting meat filled the room.

The carnage in the room is complete, though there still remains an open door at one end of the room and two closed doors.

Sliver
2010-08-25, 08:00 AM
Alliston smiles as he messages his neck, letting the glow mend the wound. Then he alternates between healing Aranis and himself, 12hp at a time, until they are both at half or above hp. Then he spends a charge of lesser vigor on both of them. Any others who are below half hp will get 12hp charges until they are above too.

If anyone needs more vigor charges, shoot.

Fuzzies
2010-08-25, 10:12 AM
Jacelyn whistled softly as she surveyed the carnage in the room. Attacked by more than twice their number, she and her companions had not only survived, but had emerged victorious. Battered, but victorious.

She watched Alliston tend to Aranis and himself, healing their wounds with his faith and divine power. They were a good group of companions. Even the new guy, Virgil, had proven his worth, pinning that runner to the far door before he could escape to bring even more soldiers to them.

The room around her drew her attention the most, however. The cauldron, pile of bones, and large stone doors felt ominous. Jacelyn had the feeling that something big and nasty awaited them.

Turning to the door that was standing open, where the second group of lizardmen had burst out of, she cautiously stuck her head around the corner to see if anything awaited them in there.

Sliver
2010-08-25, 10:30 AM
As Alliston finishes patching up his companions, he looks at the cauldron, trying to figure anything about the ritual from the setting around them.

[roll0] k.religion.

Firebeard
2010-08-25, 10:43 AM
Now that the immediacy of combat has passed, you can see the room around you in more detail. Here, the ceilings are very tall, 20 or 25 feet high.

The large stone doors dominating one wall of the room are the predominant features. The glyphs and symbols on the door are a confusing mishmash of runes and markings relating to blood sacrifice and dark gods, carved and painted on top of defaced sun motifs and shafts of radiance. The doors themselves are made of stone, with bands of metal wrapping around them for support and connection to the hinging mechanism. A shield emblem sits on each door, a golden sun on a purple and black background. It is the only part of the door that does not have lizardmen glyphs and symbols defacing it.

The wooden doors at opposite ends of the room are the only other exits from this place, other than the door you came through. One stands wide open, providing the means by which the second group of soldiers attacked. The other remains closed, with Virgil's arrow still pinning the fleeing lizardman to the thick wood.

The cauldron and bone piles where the cleric was standing are the only other features of the room that are any immediate concern. The bone piles actually consist of skulls, that are apparently painted in different colors; gold, red, green, black, blue, and purple. The skulls appear to be of differing races. You can easily make out human, goblin, lizardman, and what appears to be gnoll. Other shapes are present, but not as easily identifiable.

@Jacelyn

Sticking your head into the open doors, you can see what is obviously a barracks of some kind. Pallets and cots line the walls and personal gear is strewn everywhere. There appears to be food piled in one corner and a couple of ramshackle tables. In the far corner of the room, you see two enormous sleeping pallets, each large enough to sleep you and 4 of your closest friends on.

There is nothing moving in here. Apparently all of the occupants rushed you in the combat.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-25, 10:45 AM
Solas tend sto his own wounds, letting alliston take care of the most badly wounded...

@GM

Wand-
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Edit- not needed

Nox Lupus
2010-08-25, 11:27 AM
After healing up, Solas looks around the room and notices the shield emblems...

@GM

Kn: Rel- [roll0]

Specifically for the sun and purple & black motifs. DEFINITELY need more info on what those look like...

Edit: personal opinion- the symbols of Shar and Lathander I would think would be common knowledge.

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-25, 12:32 PM
Aranis gets up slowly, testing the range of motion on his limbs and spine - despite the gravity of his injuries, he already feels almost as good as new, and feels that his old strength has returned - if not his divine powers. His sword, of course, appears completely undamaged.

"Many thanks. It seems we've killed the high priest and all of his closest friends, but I've no doubt there are more lizardmen about. I will help you purify this place when all is said and done - you have my word - but for now, a tactical retreat seems prudent."

Firebeard
2010-08-25, 12:42 PM
@Solas

All you can discern is that the shields appear to be symbols of a divine power associated with the sun. They do not look overly familiar to current divine symbols that you are aware of.

Nox Lupus
2010-08-25, 12:52 PM
Alliston, what do you think of these?" Solas gestures to the emblems...

Fuzzies
2010-08-26, 10:54 AM
"I'm not sure we did kill their high priest, actually." called Jacelyn over her shoulder. She was still peering into the barracks area. "Or rather, I am sure we killed a priest, but not that it was their only one. I mean, look at the way they were lined up when we came in. All facing the stone doors and on their knees as if worshiping or about to worship. What's behind the doors? Where's the sacrificial altar that these images show? Was the guy you sliced in two an acolyte or the main priest?"

She turned as she spoke to regard the big stone doors. "There are a lot of pallets and cots in there, including some really big ones. I don't think we've seen all this temple has to offer. " Musing at the doors, she wonders aloud "How do these doors open?"

Firebeard
2010-08-26, 01:04 PM
@Alliston

The shields appear to be symbols of a divine power associated with the sun. You recognize them as similar to an ancient representation of the power of Lathander or Amaunator. Sun shields, as they were called, usually signified holy places or areas of divine authority.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-26, 01:29 PM
Virgil takes a moment to fiddle with his healing wand, before approaching the doors. He looks at Jacelyn inscrutably before speaking.
"Something like these doors is my area of expertise. If we had some more time, I'd examine them thoroughly for anything amiss, but the possibility was raised that we execute a tactical retreat, and I would suggest the same. We've lost the element of surprise, and the deeper we go, the less certain I am we'll be able to pull through. They're getting more organized, and it's only a matter of time before we bite off more than we can chew."

A couple UMD checks until I can get the wand of Lesser Vigor to work.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Sliver
2010-08-26, 01:39 PM
Alliston ignores... Stuff... As he approaches the stone doors and reaches out, stroking the sun symbol. "These sun shields... Untainted, marking divine authority... Perhaps what is behind the door is untouched by the scaled folk, untainted, a sanctum..."

Nox Lupus
2010-08-26, 02:01 PM
"It would be a nice change of pace to find something truly sacred on this gods-forsaken island."

Hearing Virgil's claim solas turns to him

"Would you care to have a look at them, Virgil?" Soals says gesturing towards the doors.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-26, 02:04 PM
As the healing energy knits Virgil's wounds, he approaches the doors, unrolling his thieves' tools once again.
"I'll try to be thorough, but we shouldn't tarry."
He begins to scrutinize the doors, his jaw clenched tight in concentration.

(Search check on ze doors, using Cunning Knowledge: [roll0] )

Firebeard
2010-08-26, 02:27 PM
@Virgil

There is no obvious mechanism to open the doors. Searching a little more carefully, you can tell that there is no subtle mechanism either, at least not on or around the door itself. It appears that the doors are anchored by bolts that thrust up through the floor into the bottom of the door. There may be similar restraints at the top, but the 15 foot high doors are too tall for you to tell.

Either the opening mechanism is on the other side of the doors, or is else where in this room.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-26, 03:23 PM
Virgil stands, dusting off his hands and knees. His brow is furrowed in thought.
"These doors seem securely bolted; I won't be able to reach the mechanisms, not from here at any rate. Either they open from the other side, or there's another way of opening them somewhere else, perhaps in this very room."
He whips out his bow again, looking alert.
"We can have a look around, but I don't want to dawdle."

(Oh, did we find any arrows on the lizardmen? Virgil would take them to 'refill.')

Firebeard
2010-08-26, 03:55 PM
@Virgil

You guys have not slowed down to loot these lizardmen yet. There were a handful of arrows that Jacelyn gave you in the hallway, plus I believe Solas has a metric ton of them in his HHH

Fuzzies
2010-08-28, 11:32 AM
"What was in that cauldron then? What was the priest doing? It looked to me like everyone was expecting those doors to open."

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-28, 01:13 PM
In all of the confusion, Aranis had nearly forgotten the cauldron. He goes over to examine it, looking carefully at it, sniffing it, and if it seems safe, tasting a tiny bit of what's inside.

Wow, I didn't think this would actually come in handy in a game like this, but...

Craft (Alchemy) Check: [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-08-28, 03:48 PM
Aranis stared into the cauldron in amazement. It was obvious on his approach that there was no fire beneath it, and Solas' ill-fated charge attempt hadn't even budged it. But the knight had seen the lizardman cleric drop the skull into the cauldron...and nothing was there. No skull, no potion, no bottom...nothing. At the level where the cauldron's bottom should be resting on the floor, there was a dark emptiness.

ooc:

It didn't...sorry. :smallcool:

Jade_Tarem
2010-08-29, 12:01 AM
Aranis nods at the pot. "Ladies and gentlemen, this is not alchemy."

Sliver
2010-08-29, 12:05 AM
"I suggest we don't throw anything inside in a curios experimenting matter, and neither should we try chanting stuff in the process. Loot, retreat or try to open the doors?" Alliston paces around the room, glancing at the shields.

Firebeard
2010-08-29, 06:52 AM
OOC:

If you guys are going to loot the bodies, I'll put the loot list up in the OOC later. I've got a busy morning coming up.

Fuzzies
2010-08-29, 07:07 AM
Jacelyn said, "Aditu, can you fly up to the top of the doors and see if there's anything up there that would give us a clue as to how to open them?"

The ice mephit leaped from her shoulder, wings flapping, and flew tot he tope of the doors. She spent nearly a minute going over the top portion of the stone doors with impeccable care.

Take 20 on the search check for Aditu

Meanwhile, Jacelyn began rifling through the pockets and pouches of the dead lizardmen. Perhaps there was a key on one of them. "Somebody see if the priest had any kind of key on him."

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-29, 10:56 AM
For a few moments, Virgil stares into the gaping void in the bottom of the cauldron. Curious, he begins to rummage through his pack. He produces a candle, and lights it with his flint. Then with a wave of his hand, the candle begins to float in midair. Concentrating intently, Virgil makes the candle float over the cauldron, then proceeds to have it descend as far down into the void as he can.

Casting Greater Mage Hand to telekinetically levitate the lit candle into the dark void in the cauldron. Greater Mage Hand has a range of 170 ft., so I'll try to make it go to the limit of the spell, and see if I can still see the candle's light. If it hasn't hit any bottom by then, I'll move the candle to see if there are any walls or 'sides' to any chutes or chimneys. Finally, if all options are exhausted, I'll cease concentration and let the candle fall.

After observing what happens, Virgil turns to his companions.
"Can any of you cast a light spell on this arrow?"

(If anybody obliges, Virgil fires a lit arrow straight down the abyss, observing and listening for anything interesting to happen.)

Fuzzies
2010-08-29, 04:34 PM
Jacelyn edged closer to see what Virgil was doing with the candle.