PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about Battle Jump.

SuperCracker
2010-07-14, 02:02 PM
Is it a full-round action to do a battle jump? I don't have the text in front of me.

jiriku
2010-07-14, 02:04 PM
Depends on how far you jump. It's the jump part of Battle Jump that determines how much time you spend doing it.

SuperCracker
2010-07-14, 02:16 PM
Well, here's the specific thing I want to do with it. It may not be possible, but the possibility is nagging at my brain.

Dervish dance, and use movement mastery and an obscene jump check to battle jump each attack.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-14, 02:30 PM
AFAIK jumping is part of the move action so I think theorethically you could do a battle jump during the dervish dance

Snake-Aes
2010-07-14, 02:36 PM
The dance, however, says you can't end the movement in the same square you started, so you have to do a horizontal jump instead of a vertical jump. This means you have to jump 20ft per attack tto qualify for battle jump. This is not viable against smaller than Huge characters, against enemies that aren't far enough apart, or even to allow a full attack since you burn your move action before getting to attack again.

Unless you can do an attack mid-air, but then you'd only Battle Jump half of your attacks.

jiriku
2010-07-14, 02:44 PM
Well, here's the specific thing I want to do with it. It may not be possible, but the possibility is nagging at my brain.

Dervish dance, and use movement mastery and an obscene jump check to battle jump each attack.

I am pretty sure you can do that. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the number and arrangement of your enemies and the physical lay of the battlefield made the tactic unusable, or less effective than its theoretical maximum, in many fights.

That being said, being a dervish is all about being a leaping, jumping harbinger of death, so I support your goal.

SuperCracker
2010-07-14, 02:53 PM
I could actually get close to my current maximum. Level 11. Three attacks. And I don't twf. I two-hander power attack. The two-hander damage doubled would be way better than a single-handed attack.

Going to see if my DM allows this.

Starfols
2010-07-14, 03:26 PM

I think that works, vertical movement would should count, as far as dervish dance is concerned, and as long as you can jump 5 feet :smallsmile:

You could jump around someone, jumping 5 feet horizontally, leaving him still within reach. If they're medium or smaller, you could also just jump over them.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-14, 03:36 PM
I think that works, vertical movement would should count, as far as dervish dance is concerned, and as long as you can jump 5 feet :smallsmile:

You could jump around someone, jumping 5 feet horizontally, leaving him still within reach. If they're medium or smaller, you could also just jump over them.

The thing about jumping is that jumping vertically doesn't take you out of your square, and jumping horizontally puts you at the desired jumping height only halfways into a horizontal jump twice longer than tall.

SuperCracker
2010-07-14, 10:13 PM
So basically, it's situational, but doable?

true_shinken
2010-07-15, 09:26 AM
The dance, however, says you can't end the movement in the same square you started, so you have to do a horizontal jump instead of a vertical jump. This means you have to jump 20ft per attack tto qualify for battle jump. This is not viable against smaller than Huge characters, against enemies that aren't far enough apart, or even to allow a full attack since you burn your move action before getting to attack again.

Unless you can do an attack mid-air, but then you'd only Battle Jump half of your attacks.

Not at all, this is dervish dance after all. You don't even have a move action to spend, you are doing a full-attack while moving your speed and you must attack before each 5-foot step. I'd say it's completly doable; you just a very, very high Speed to pull this of.

Nice find!