PDA

View Full Version : To the Streets! (3.5 D&D Setting and Homebrew rules)

AtwasAwamps
2010-07-14, 02:21 PM
Okay, so, I had a setting in mind I wanted to try and mess around with. It’s a heavily modified D&D 3.5 E6 system. I need some help from you guys on what could be reasonable and what couldn’t be.

SETTING BASICS

A standard Greyhawk-style metropolis with above average crime and poverty and significant classism and barriers. Players would take on the role of young (15-18) street urchins/criminals that have banded together and formed a street gang out of mutual respect, need, friendship, survival, whatever. Together, they face off against other street gangs, the police, local authorities, and other dangers as they fight at first for survival…and then to make their lives something more than they were to start with.

MECHANIC BASICS

Standard E6 rules

Players take no penalties for utilizing improvised weaponry. Improvised weaponry can deal non-lethal damage with no penalty.

Prepared spell-casting (Arcane and Divine) classes are banned.

TOB classes are banned, but TOB itself is not. All classes with full BAB have full Initiator Level progression for the purposes of Martial Study and Martial Stance.

ALL CLASSES: Bluff, Tumble, Sleight of Hand, and Intimidate are always class skills.

Automatic Bonus Languages are no longer granted with intelligence bonus. Skill points must be spent to learn bonus languages.

Monk: Renamed “Brawler”, alignment restriction removed, gains fighter BAB.

Ranger: Animal Companion granted as Druid, Medium size only.

Paladin: Renamed “Bodyguard”. Smite Evil = Smite (non-alignment related) and is now per encounter. Mount class feature replaced with Charging Smite gained at level 3.

Samurai: Adapting Ronin PRC as base class. Samurai does not exist.

Fighter: Unchanged, due to extra feats and full IL adding versatility to the fighter in comparison to other martial classes.

This is about as far as I’ve gotten, but I just wanted some feedback on what I’ve started and if anyone has some interesting ideas about this type of setting or game, I’d love to hear ‘em.

Darkxarth
2010-07-14, 03:13 PM
Sounds pretty cool. Monk is still a little underpowered in E6, as far as I can tell, so I offer you my old version of the E6 Monk. All of its abilities are as normal (bonus feats, still mind, etc.) unless stated otherwise.

Monk

{table=Monk]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Flurry|Unarmed Damage|Unarmored Speed Bonus
1|+0 |+2 |+2 |+2 |Bonus Feat, Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike, AC Bonus |-2/-2 |1d4 |+5 ft.
2|+1 |+3 |+3 |+3 |Bonus Feat, Evasion |-1/-1 |1d6 |+10 ft.
3|+2 |+3 |+3 |+3 |Still Mind, +1 AC |+0/+0 |1d6 |+10 ft.
4|+3 |+4 |+4 |+4 |Ki Strike (magic), Slow Fall 20 ft. |+1/+1 |1d8 |+15 ft.
5|+3 |+4 |+4 |+4 |Purity of Body |+2/+2 |1d8 |+15 ft.
6|+4 |+5 |+5 |+5 |Bonus Feat, Slow Fall 30 ft., +2 AC, Quickened Flurry |+3/+3 |1d10 |+20 ft.[/table]

AC Bonus When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 3rd level. This bonus increases to +2 at 6th level. These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Quickened Flurry At 6th level a Monk is a truly prodigious martial artist. Monks may use their Flurry of Blows ability as a standard attack action instead of as part of a full round attack action.

I decided to alter the Monk’s Unarmed Damage column so that it actually scales. I also altered the Unarmed Speed bonus column for the same reason, but I started Monk with a +5 ft. bonus to speed. I feel that this balances out the Monk a little more, making it perhaps a little more powerful at each level, and without the long waits between ability advancement. Also, the change made to the Flurry of Blows class feature is not overly powerful. It simply gives the Monk a quicker iterative attack than the Fighter, albeit at a lower attack bonus.

EDIT: With Fighter BAB, your Brawler is probably fine, don't know how I missed that on first read-through.