PDA

View Full Version : How Visible are Magic Items?

HMS Invincible
2010-07-14, 02:56 PM
I found it funny that nobody recognizes magical items in oots world. They incarcerate Roy and belkar but they only take their weapons away.

My DM would always demand that everything was taken when you got incarcerated, but he stopped caring as we got higher level, probably for convenience.

mucat
2010-07-15, 12:09 AM
I'm confused...why do you think the EoB authorities didn't confiscate all their gear?

We know Azure City did, when they were captured there. (Belkar only kept his ring of jumping by hiding it in a way no one wants to think too closely about.)

Shale
2010-07-15, 12:23 AM
Roy is wearing his Belt of Giant Strength.

MoleMage
2010-07-15, 12:23 AM
I'm confused...why do you think the EoB authorities didn't confiscate all their gear?

We know Azure City did, when they were captured there. (Belkar only kept his ring of jumping by hiding it in a way no one wants to think too closely about.)

Well, from this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0693.html) comic that Roy's armor, at least, is magical. So, since he's still wearing it, they let him keep some magic items.

Gift Jeraff
2010-07-15, 12:39 AM
Either they're going to be taken away, or gladiatorial events are more exciting when the participants are capable of amazing feats.

Or maybe Tarquin is well aware that daring escape scenes are made less interesting when the protagonists have to reacquire ALL of their equipment.

Lecan
2010-07-15, 04:04 PM
Or maybe Tarquin is well aware that daring escape scenes are made less interesting when the protagonists have to reacquire ALL of their equipment.

Someone should have told Squaresoft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Trigger) that back in the 90s :)

SoC175
2010-07-16, 04:20 PM
Well, from this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0693.html) comic that Roy's armor, at least, is magical. So, since he's still wearing it, they let him keep some magic items. He was also wearing it in Azure City prison despite the claim of having all magic items taken away.

Maybe the Giant is too lazy to bother redrawing them with different clothes for prison scenes. :smallconfused:

denthor
2010-07-16, 04:58 PM
As to the question.

The magic item can be as simple as a heavy gold ring with no design to purposely mislead someone into thinking it is just a wedding ring.

The spell shield other uses two platinum rings worth about 75 gp each one is not useable without the other plus you need a cleric willing to cast the spell, so kill the fighter and not the cleric it is worthless.

As for most items they are made from materials that rare but not uncommon or unheard of. Without detect magic you may not be able to tell one plate mail from another.

Moriarty
2010-07-16, 11:04 PM
He was also wearing it in Azure City prison despite the claim of having all magic items taken away.

Maybe the Giant is too lazy to bother redrawing them with different clothes for prison scenes. :smallconfused:

the magic items wouldn't have worked anyway because of the antimagic cells.

The only point in taking belkars magic stuff was because he was incarnated elsewhere

iDM
2010-08-07, 12:35 AM
This may be a little off-topic, but is V's hairband magical? Maybe a Headband of Imtellect... Or would those not work when used to bind a ponytail?

cobaltstarfire
2010-08-07, 05:24 AM
Well, from this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0693.html) comic that Roy's armor, at least, is magical. So, since he's still wearing it, they let him keep some magic items.

I don't think he's still wearing it, considering the belt he is wearing right now is brown, and his belt of giants strength is green.

Unless you guys are talking about when they're thrown into a cell rather than in the gladitorial place.

Lord Bingo
2010-08-07, 05:31 AM
At present they are wearing a loin cloth and sandals, nothing more.

In Azure City it might have made sense initially to only take away their offensive capabilities pending their trial especially since we know it was all an elaborate scam orchestrated by Shojo.

Marnath
2010-08-07, 11:54 PM
Old thread is old. But no, i don't think V's headband is magical. He doesn't seem like the type to appreciate that, with his fascination with doing everything himself an int boost item might seem like cheating.

NerfTW
2010-08-08, 01:09 AM
I don't think he's still wearing it, considering the belt he is wearing right now is brown, and his belt of giants strength is green.

Unless you guys are talking about when they're thrown into a cell rather than in the gladitorial place.

The post you're quoting was made 3 weeks ago, before they were shown in the gladiator pits. It's referring to the trial.

DaveMcW
2010-08-08, 01:23 AM
Old thread is old. But no, i don't think V's headband is magical. He doesn't seem like the type to appreciate that, with his fascination with doing everything himself an int boost item might seem like cheating.

Ring of Wizardry (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html)

Shale
2010-08-08, 01:38 AM
Per the levels/stats thread, we know V's natural and effective INT, and the only way it works out is if s/he has an INT+4 item. Presumably the headband.