PDA

View Full Version : Kobolds, An Escape from Slavery IC

Averagedog
2010-07-14, 06:11 PM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8923786#post8923786)

Somewhere in the far deep of unassailable mountain ranges, under tons of rocks, volcanoes, ancient civilizations and who knows what else, the sounds of pickaxes can be heard tinkering away at the rock to reveal valuable veins of........ Agate.

For many generations upon generations, The Orcs have led a mining operation deep under the Chadron mountain range, enslaving Kobolds and other diminutive races to do all the mining. The Orcs themselves govern this mining business as administrators to the Kobolds, giving them food, water, and pain, just for a day's "easy" work. Listless, many Kobolds gave into despair and lose everything, their name, their memories of home crawling out of their little leathery egg shells, and their culture of making devious traps and running.... a lot. But a few, younger and hot blooded/and or crazy Kobolds hoped for a better life.

One day, the Kobolds working in one of the deeper mines squinted their eyes at the torchlight as an old creature was shoved in. None of the Kobolds ever saw such a creature before and thus shied away from it. For a while the creature spouted gibberish at them and at some times started running around in circles flailing and even taking a light pickaxe and smashed it on the door in a vain attempt to escape.... Until the burly Orc guard came in and smote him across the face with a torch.

The crazy man fell into deep despair, then one day started talking to the Kobolds in a language they could understand. The man claimed that he was like them. A Kobold that was magically transformed into a man, whether this is true or not, all the Kobolds agreed that he is most definitely insane. The old crazy man however offered knowledge in exchange for a promise that they would try to escape using this knowledge. The few that agreed whether out of boredom or real hope, learned much from the person, mainly in the ways of how to fight when they need to. He even taught a fair few how to use their innate magical talents in a more devastating and a more productive manner.

One day, the unnamed man said that it was time. Whether the few Kobolds agreed or not, it didn't matter. The Old man dual wielded their small pickaxes and rapped on the door again. The Guard came back in, this time, not pleased at all, then smote the crazy man across the face again... twice. The Man fell down twitching but alive, and was dragged away by the guard. The guard however forgot to close and lock the door behind him...... The Kobolds waited for a few minutes before.........

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-14, 06:38 PM
Chaka

Gathering his courage (and not wanting anyone else to get beat, in case a guard is just outside), Chaka slips up to the door and peaks out...

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-14, 07:14 PM
Chupo

Chupo sidles up behind Chaka, nervously gripping (and nearly fumbling) his pick. Furtively glancing from side to side, he whispers as quiet as he can, Do ya see them?

AtS
2010-07-14, 07:36 PM
Kintinkar

Kinny tentatively looks up from his corner. While he's no stranger to shirking work, he's not sure it's a smart idea to anger the guards. However, seeing his two coworkers peer out the door gets him wondering - it's not long before his curiosity gets the better of him and he sidles up behind the other two.

zimmerwald1915
2010-07-14, 08:18 PM
Tulukhaz

Tulukhaz lets his pick fall towards the ground, its tip sinking a little into the comparatively soft stone of the cave. He keeps his grip on it with his right hand and wipes the dust off the brow with his left so it does not get into his eyes. His nictitating membranes don't work as well as they used to. Seeing the others in the group gather by the door, he lifts his pick out of the ground and goes to join them.

"Kinny, can you see what's going on?"

AtS
2010-07-14, 08:52 PM
Kinny stretches up on his legs until his tendons strain with the effort, but he's still unable to see past Chaka's imposing frame (for a kobald, at least).

"Not sure, Tuluk... but I have a bad feeling about this. Normally, I'd be the last to suggest this, but maybe we should just go back to work?" Kinny gulps nervously. "Them guards seemed pretty mad."

"Unless it's safe. Chaka, what do you see? Is they's gonna hit us like how they hit the fleshy guy?"

Averagedog
2010-07-14, 09:39 PM
The Kobolds creep to the door and look out into the hallway most of them have never seen before. The hall was taller than their tunnel they literally knew from infancy and it seemed to stretch for a long while in both direction. There was another door in front of them, barred securely about 4 feet off the ground and latched on the top with a lock. The sounds of picks hitting on rocks can be heard from within. There are no signs of any guards or the fleshy kobold that taught them so much.

zimmerwald1915
2010-07-14, 10:02 PM
"If there's work to be done, Kinny, you know what I would say..." Tulukhaz trails off. "But we did promise Shabeth" - Tulukhaz's pet name for the tall, soft one - "that we would leave here when the time came. If there are no guards and no locks, perhaps it has come."

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-14, 11:18 PM
Seeing no guards, Chaka steps out into the hallway and examines the other door.

Volthawk
2010-07-15, 02:02 AM
Lodeg-Petisse

Lodeg-Petisse, Insane Kobold in Draconic, rushes past the others, smashing into the door with all his force.

Strength check: [roll0]
Roll(1d20)+7:
6,+7
Total:13

Averagedog
2010-07-15, 10:08 PM
With a horrendous crashing sound, the angry kobold braces and crashes against the door. He made it through.... well... some of him made it through. The Kobold nearly hangs off the ground, his toes on their tippy toes to support his weight, as his head broke through the door making a Kobold head sized hole. Unfortunately, he is rather stuck....

Lodeg-Petisse

Besides the little imaginary birds and stars floating around your head, you see your fellow kobold breatheren, all dead an emaciated on the floor. The air here smells like it has been stagnant for years. You see something glimmer far in the back of the small tunnel. It glints, then disappears momentarily to appear again briefly. The sound of picks can be heard, but it surely isn't coming from the bodies.... the sounds seem to be coming from that strange object...

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-16, 08:06 AM
Chupo (after nearly jumping several feet in the air from surprise) walks over to the other door. He shakes his head as he grabs Lodeg's feet and tries to pull him out. He mutters grumpily Just got outta the stinkin' door, don't wanta get in another one...

Hilariously bad Strength Check

Roll(1d20)+-1:
7,+-1
Total:6

Averagedog
2010-07-16, 08:30 AM
Chupo pulls with all his tiny might, and only succeeds in getting a strangled yelp from Lodeg

Volthawk
2010-07-16, 08:33 AM
Lodeg barks back to Chupo in Draconic "Get off me!"

He then tries to get through the door even more.

Strength check:

Roll(1d20)+7:
6,+7

Averagedog
2010-07-16, 09:18 AM
Outside the door, the rest of the kobolds see Lodeg's feet push against the door in vain.

inside however......

Lodeg

The glittering thing making the pick noises appears to be coming closer and closer at the very limits of your dark vision you see what looks to be a grasping claw like skeletal hand. A glow seems to appear in the distance, a dark malevolent glow

AtS
2010-07-16, 09:31 AM
Kinny runs up to the door and tries to pry off a piece of wood to make the hole that's trapping Lodeg bigger. "C'mon, guys! We can get him out this way!" he squawks.

Strength check that puts Chupo's to shame:
Roll(1d20)-4:
3,-4
Total:1

Unfortunately, his tiny frame keeps him from getting much of anything accomplished. Hopefully the other kobalds will catch on to the plan, however.

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-16, 09:52 AM
Chupo follows suit, trying not to scratch up Lodeg (too much) in the process.

Wheaties-empowered Strength Check
Roll(1d20)+-1:
16,+-1
Total:15

Averagedog
2010-07-16, 01:49 PM
Chupo pulls with all the strength his little body can muster and with a popping sound, Lodeg slides out.

zimmerwald1915
2010-07-16, 04:41 PM
"Good job, Kinny, Chupo. Lodeg, what did you see?" Tulukhaz regrets that his age - OOC: my work - had prevented him from being at the door in time to help.

Volthawk
2010-07-17, 07:00 AM
"I saw a shiny. A bony hand too."

zimmerwald1915
2010-07-17, 09:09 AM
"But no guards? We might be able to flee down this tunnel. Did it look dangerous?"

Tulukhaz goes up to the hole that Lodeg had made in the door and looks through.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Bardic Knowledge about bony hands: [roll2]

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-17, 09:56 AM
Careful Tulukhaz.. :smalleek:

Chaka quickly examines the neck of Kinny in case of injury

Heal Check As a move action. No propper equipment= -?
Roll(1d20)+9:
10,+9
Total:19

Averagedog
2010-07-17, 10:43 AM
besides some loose scales and a few scratches Lodeg has suffered no real injury.

Tulukhaz

Tulukhaz sees no bony hand within his dark vision vision but does see the emaciated dried out husks that used to be kobold miners. Curiously the sound of mining picks can be heard from the places where the Kobolds were. there is a rustling sound and now Tulukhaz too can see something glimmer.

His Bardic instincts tell him not to enter this room. The thing that could have killed these kobolds, if perhaps something killed them other than food and water deprivation, could still be lurking about, waiting to strike. Come to think of it. Moving bony hands could mean undead...

zimmerwald1915
2010-07-17, 10:48 AM
"I see no bone, and nothing shiny, Lodeg," says Tulukhaz slowly. "I do see a lot of our dead cousins*, and hear somebody mining." He clenches his jaw and swallows before continuing. "I have heard stories of the walking dead, skeletons that can work tirelessly and fight unthinkingly and without mercy. I have a bad feeling about this room. I don't think we should go in".

*OOC: term of endearment and solidarity, not necessarily kinship

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-17, 12:02 PM
At the word "shiny", Chupo's eyes lit up. That, and the piece of wood he tore from the door was giving him an idea.

"I think we should try it. There's five of us, we got picks, I got my science," Chupo smiled proudly, and continued, "Whatevas back there we can get it! And besides, who gonna look for us in there? I think I can fix up the hole like someone didn't put their head through it. If it's not a way out, at least it's somewhere safe."

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-17, 06:02 PM
But what if the come looking for us? we should get away while we can.

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-17, 08:56 PM
Chupo frowned. He really wanted to know what was inside the door, but being trapped in a tunnel with no way out was not very appealing. "Ah, that would be bad if that tunnel was a dead end. Maybe you're right. I can still fix up the hole, so they won't notice we're gone right away."

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-18, 04:14 PM
After a lengthy pause, Chupo coughed a little, and continued, "Anyone see which way the guard went? We might wanta go the other way."

zimmerwald1915
2010-07-18, 05:12 PM
OOC: Did we see which way the guard went?

IC: Tulukhaz tries to remember if he saw the guard favoring a certain side as he dragged Shabeth out of the door, as he casts around for any sign that the guard passed a certain way.

Listen:
Roll(1d20)-1:
1,-1
Total:1

Spot:
Roll(1d20)-1:
20,-1

Search:
Roll(1d20)+3:
12,+3

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-18, 07:14 PM
Chaka moves down the left passage a few yards, then kneels down and looks for the tell tale sings of where the guards dragged away the strange one

Tracking:

Roll(1d20)+7:
18,+7
Total:25

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-18, 07:42 PM
While the others started searching, Chupo patted down his rags and looked back in the room they just came from. "Nearly forgot my science-ing stuff."

He dashed back to his digging spot and pulled out an oddly-shaped rock, a few twigs, and a handful of indistinguishable bits. With a practiced motion, he manipulated the twigs and a few scraps of cloth into a makeshift pocket and stashed his cargo. To be more accurate, he stashed the rock, and most of the other scraps fell out of the poorly-made pocket. He joined the others as they hunted for signs, and gave the area Tulukhaz was searching a quick once-over.

Aiding Search Check
Roll(1d20)+3:
7,+3
Total:10

Averagedog
2010-07-18, 08:57 PM
Chaka finds a long scratch mark heading down to the right along the floor as if someone being dragged was scratching at the ground to slow the process of being dragged away. A little further down the hall, the rest finds a small short blade stuck into the ground. The Material is made out of the rocks you have been mining.... only it looks much more refined.

AtS
2010-07-18, 11:29 PM
Kinny runs over to the sword, trying to pull the blade from the ground in which it was stuck. However, he's hardly able to lift the blade much, and his efforts are fruitless.

"Is this what they're using the ore we've been mining for? I'd have hoped that our work would be made into something more... better. Plus, what good is it stuck in da rocks like this?" he pouts.

"One 'o you muscley guys should try to get the slashy-stick." Kintinkar gestures to Lodeg and Chaka.

zimmerwald1915
2010-07-18, 11:50 PM
"With all we've mined out for them, they think they can be careless with their stuff," shrugs Tulukhaz, gripping the handle. "Anyone want the fruits of their labor?"

Strength check
Roll(1d20)+3:
12,+3

extra +1 from Musclebound trait

Volthawk
2010-07-19, 12:20 AM
If Tulukhaz can't pull it out, Lodeg will try to pull out the blade. If he can pull it out, Lodeg will go forwards a little bit, having a look around.

Strength check for pulling out the blade:
Roll(1d20)+7:
19,+7
Total:26

Spot:
Roll(1d20)-1:
8,-1
Total:7

Listen:
Roll(1d20)-1:
13,-1
Total:12

Search:
Roll(1d20)-1:
19,-1
Total:18

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-19, 09:47 AM
...Maybe if we all pull it together?

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-19, 10:04 AM
Chupo braces himself against the wall with his back to the hilt (being careful to stay away from the sharp bits) and tries pushing while the others pull.

Aiding Strength Check
Roll(1d20)+-1:
5,+-1
Total:4

AtS
2010-07-19, 11:39 AM
Kinny also joins the line of struggling Kobalds, trying his best to make a difference amongst his straining, squawking friends.

Aid another Strength Check
Roll(1d20)-4:
17,-4

Averagedog
2010-07-19, 03:58 PM
With a combined effort, the Kobolds pull the blade out and land in an unceremonious heap. The Kobolds marvel at the blade and the craftsmanship, which really isn't good by upper world standards. The sword counts as a greatsword for a Kobold with a + 1 bonus to damage. Lodeg spies another door at the far end of this hallway.

Volthawk
2010-07-19, 04:01 PM
Lodeg picks up the blade, and gives it a few swings. He then drops his pick, and instead holds this blade. He then asks the others "Can I have this?"

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-19, 05:42 PM
Chupo dusted himself off and shrugged, "S'fine by me. We should probably hide da extra pick somewhere." He walked back to the previous door and placed the bigger bits of wood in the hole as best as he could to hide it from immediate discovery.

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-19, 06:23 PM
... I'll carry it. Chaka says, picking up the extra pick.

AtS
2010-07-20, 07:36 PM
Kinny twitches, having landed at the bottom of the Kobald heap. "Geez, you guys. Could you be any fatter?" he pouts. After resolving his dramatic moment, he picks himself off the ground and peers down the corridor. "We should probably get moving. Not a good idea to stay in one place when you're skipping work - the guards don't like that." he says.

zimmerwald1915
2010-07-20, 08:09 PM
"Like we'd know," Tulukhaz winks, unentangling his tail from the pile of kobolds before sliding down to the ground.

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-21, 08:19 AM
Chupo finished arranging the bits of wood in the door. He rolled up his sleeves (what little sleeves he had) and rubbed his hands together. After performing an elaborate hop-skip dance, he clapped his hands (quietly) together and placed them on the pieces. The wood quivered, then grew over the hole and into the door. When it was finished, the door looked completely normal.

Chupo gave it a quick once-over for any obvious screw-ups, and when he saw it had worked, he gave a small nod to himself. Walking back to the others, he added, "The door's all fixed up. I tink we should head away from where the guard went. I'm for getting outta here."

Cast Mending as an Adept spell.

Volthawk
2010-07-22, 02:17 PM
"I think we go this way. The sword was a good sign."

Lodeg points with the same sword down the right path, the one where the sword was.

AtS
2010-07-22, 02:26 PM
"Lodeg's right. There might even be more cool stuff if we continue down this passage!"
Kinny has a greedy gleam in his eye.

zimmerwald1915
2010-07-22, 04:33 PM
"Anything's better than the other passage," agrees Tulukhaz.

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-22, 08:44 PM
".... What if whatever left the blade behind is down there?" :smalleek:

Also, in case I forgot to, Chaka points out what he found by tracking earlier.

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-22, 10:53 PM
Chupo's curiosity was welling up inside of him. On one hand, escaping alive was important. But on the other hand...new shiny things. He decided the best course of action was to gnaw on his hands in indecision.

Volthawk
2010-07-23, 04:28 AM
"Yeah, but whatever left that could have more. The more we have, the stronger we will be. The stronger we will be, the better our chances."

Averagedog
2010-07-23, 06:58 PM
The Kobolds venture down the right passage, which curves around a corner after a while. Before the Kobolds could go around it however, the sound of 2 sets of approaching footsteps and Orcish banter echo in the tunnels towards them.

AtS
2010-07-23, 07:05 PM
"Time to make a quick decision, guys... Hide, or fight?" Kinny whispers.

Volthawk
2010-07-23, 07:06 PM
"Ambush." Lodeg hisses back.

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-24, 11:38 AM
Chupo nods, gripping his pick. "Either choice, we should get hidden, now!"

Chupo quickly searches the area for a good hiding spot.

Search check
Roll(1d20)+3:
10,+3

zimmerwald1915
2010-07-24, 11:42 AM
Hide: Roll(1d20)+2:
18,+2
Total:20

(an extra +4 from being small, as Volthawk says, gives 24)

Volthawk
2010-07-24, 11:45 AM
Search (for hiding place):

Roll(1d20)-1:
20,-1

Hide:

Roll(1d20)+11:
13,+11
Total:24

AtS
2010-07-24, 12:28 PM
Following the other Kobald's lead, Kintinkar ducks into the shadows.

Hide Check:
Roll(1d20)+4:
19,+4
Total:23

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-24, 02:00 PM
(regardless of finding a good spot or not, Chupo hides)

Hide:
Roll(1d20)+7:
10,+7
Total:17

Averagedog
2010-07-25, 12:08 AM
The Kobold group as a whole, secrete themselves along the rough hewnw walls using their tiny bodies to their advantage. A Trio of Orcs march past, each wielding heavy clubs, one wielding a handaxe in one hand and a buckler in the other. They talk idly of the crazy human and laugh that he will soon be thrown into "the pit" for their viewing pleasure. The Orcs are at the point where they are exactly between the hiding Kobolds.

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-27, 07:55 AM
When the Orcs are in just the right spot, Chupo springs from hiding. He performs a few swift motions, and his hands start to glow. He gives the Orcs a big, toothy grin, and shouts "EAT SCIENCE YA UGLIES!" He thrusts his palms toward them and a jet of flame shoots toward the (understandably) surprised trio.

Damage for Koboldouken (Burning Hands)
Roll(2d4)+0:
2,2,+0
Total:4

Volthawk
2010-07-27, 07:07 PM
Silently, Lodeg charges at the orcs, not showing the emotion building up inside of him.

Charging, power attacking for 2:

Attack:
Roll(1d20)+6:
9,+6

Damage:
Roll(1d10)+7:
7,+7
Total:14

Also, using an immediate action to trigger rage.

Current changes to stats:

-4 AC
DR 3/-
+2 to all saves
+2 to hit and damage
+1d6 to all damage

zimmerwald1915
2010-07-27, 07:20 PM
Tulukhaz starts chanting a song to help the other kobolds get into a rythym. They'd all sung a song with this melody while working the rock face, and some of the words were the same, but others had been changed to fit the new situation. Tulukhaz hoped that not only would its familiarity help the group fight as one, but also that it would bring a smile to their lips.

We been doin' some hard rock minin'
I thought you knowed
We been minin' some rock hard orc heads
Way down the road
Picks a-flyin', hands a-burnin'
Five of us, they three'll be a-learnin'
We been doin' some hard travelin' lord.

Inspire courage

AtS
2010-07-27, 07:31 PM
Kinny, after realizing what Tulukhaz was singing, chimes in after the second line, in harmony with Tuluk.

We been doin' some hard rock minin'
I thought you knowed / knowed... owed... owed...
We been minin' some rock hard orc heads / Minin' dem heads
Way down the road / RoooOOOOoooAAAAd
Picks a-flyin', hands a-burnin'
Five of us, they three'll be a-learnin'
We been doin' some hard travelin' lord. / Yee-haw!

Dragonfire Inspiration

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-28, 06:30 AM
Chaka moves up and attacks the same orc that Lodeg did

Attack:

Roll(1d20)+5:
15,+5

Damage:

Roll(1d3)+2:
1,+2
Total:3

Averagedog
2010-07-28, 10:12 AM
Chupo's yell startled the Orcs who turned and got a face full of flames that ignited their meager clothing. they started to frantically put out the flames when and ignore the diminutive Kobold spitting out curse and promising death, when Lodeg ran from his spot and decapitated the Orc in the middle.

Chacka noticed the falling corpse and stabbed his small blade into the gut of the next Orc empowered by the music of the resident bards. The dagger struck home, then suddenly engorged with flame as the dragonfire inspiration kicked in. The Orc howled in pain as his bowels were burn but miraculously remained on their feet.

end Round....

Damage statistics:

Orc 1(Failed Reflex Save): 18 damage total. (Slain)

Orc 2(Failed Reflex Save): 12 damage total assuming dragonfire was 1d6 fire damage rolling a 4. (Badly Injured)

Orc 3(Failed Reflex Save): 4 damage total (slightly hurt)

Initiative Order

Chupo
Lodeg
Orc 2
Orc 3
Tulukhaz
Kinny
Chaka

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-28, 11:19 AM
Although they were looking rather beaten up and slightly on fire, Chupo was understandably nervous about the Orcs' promises of cruel and unusual uses of his liver and other such organs. After taking a few cautionary steps back, he gave them another cheeky smile and returned fire. "Oooh, that fire looks hot. I'll get it for you!" He pointed a finger at the badly hurt orc and let loose with an icy bolt.

Ray of Frost
Roll(1d20)+5:
12,+5
Total:17

Volthawk
2010-07-31, 12:29 PM
Still silent, Lodeg strides over to the least injured orc, and then strikes at him.

Moving to Orc 3 and attacking.

Attack:
Roll(1d20)9:
11,+9

Damage:

Greatsword:
Roll(1d10)+8:
4,+8
Total:12

Dragonfire:
Roll(1d6)+0:
2,+0
Total:2

Rage Dice:
Roll(1d6)+0:
2,+0
Total:2

Current changes to stats:

-2 AC
DR 3/-
+2 to all saves
+2 to hit and damage
+1d6 to all damage

Averagedog
2010-07-31, 01:48 PM
Orc 3 Groans as Chupos tiny ray of frost pokes him in the eye for 3 damage. He grimaces and rubs his bloodshot eye with a hand as Lodeg comes rushing in with his blade. With a strong slash, Lodeg cuts the Orc from hip to shoulder opening the orc up like an inexperienced surgeon trying, but failing to treat a belly wound. The Orc drops his spea rand grasps for his belly as he falls to the ground in a growing pool of his own life fluids.

The Last Orc standing glares at all of the Kobolds then yells as loud as he possibly could before trying to plunge his spear into Lodeg. The Spear misses Lodeg as the Orc was apparently discombobulated by its own tunnel shattering yell.

Damage statistics:(Round 2)

Orc 1(Failed Reflex Save): 18 damage total. (Slain)

Orc 2(Failed Reflex Save): 12 damage total assuming dragonfire was 1d6 fire damage rolling a 4. (Badly Injured)

Orc 3(Failed Reflex Save): 23 Damage Total. (Slain)

Initiative Order

Chupo
Lodeg (Kill Count: 2)
Orc 2
Orc 3
Tulukhaz <----------Current Turn
Kinny
Chaka

zimmerwald1915
2010-07-31, 04:32 PM
Tulukhaz rumbles with satisfaction seeing two orcs down. He strides forward intending to use his pick to stave in the third's head, but remembers that the three had been discussing Shabeth's fate. So instead, he begins to sing again, changing the melody and words to grab the orc's attention rather than his companions'.

Hang down your head lone orc-y,
Throw down your club and sit,
Hang down your head lone orc-y,
Tell us about "the pit".

Casting Charm Person at DC 15.

This is not a use of Bardic Music: singing is for flavor purposes only.

Averagedog
2010-08-05, 11:52 AM
The Orc bleeding from several places, grimaced at the Kobold bard as if trying to grimly fend off mental intrusion. A moment passed, and the Orc relaxed visibly dropping the spear, a goofy grin covered its face and its eyes glazed over stupidly.

"Me like funny slave," The Orc said in a thick Orcish accent in Kobold. "Pit is fun place. Slaves fight and die. Me, Buddies, Drink and dance. Several Pits. Chieftan watches rich one. Me watch poor one."

zimmerwald1915
2010-08-07, 06:55 PM
Tulukhaz clenches his teeth and dumbs down his speech. He didn't want the orc to think he was plotting anything. "Yes, fun. We like fun. We like fun everywhere. You look like fun. Can you show us fun places in the mountain? Where the pits are? Maybe drawn on parchment or scratched in the dirt?"

Diplomacy Roll(1d20)+16:
13,+16
Total:29

That's before whatever modifier is applied due to him being Charmed.

TheAmishPirate
2010-08-07, 07:56 PM
While Tulukaz talks to the Orc, Chupo rifles through the aftermath of the battle to see if there's anything they could use.

Search:
Roll(1d20)+3:
11,+3
Total:14

Averagedog
2010-08-07, 10:58 PM
Plunder Found:

3 Medium sized spears

3 Medium sized hide armors

2 waterskins

dried Kobold Jerky x 8 (Dried jerky made of Kobold flesh)

Some Salt

4 pieces of gold, 13 pieces of silver

1 Key

1 refined piece of cut quartz.

Tulukuz:

The Orc smiles broadly, then draws a very very very crude map that comprises of a straight line with several marks on it. He points to several points, the nearest being "Barracks", another one described as "weapon room", and the one furthest down noted as "Pit". This is all written in crude orcish with abundant spelling errors.

zimmerwald1915
2010-08-08, 12:16 AM
"If we keep going this way, can we meet your friends for a drink? You talked about drinks."

Tulukhaz is concerned by the Orc's talk of a barracks, and the Pits seem like they'd hold a lot of orcs as well. If the group kept going this way, they would have to sneak past or fight dozens of them, if what the Orc was saying was true.

Volthawk
2010-08-08, 04:16 AM
"What is barrracks?" Lodeg asks in Draconic to the others.

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-08, 09:10 AM
Chaka shrugs and responds to the question in Draconic ...trouble.

Averagedog
2010-08-08, 11:58 AM
The orc's brow furrowed as it started to count on its fingers and toes, he broadly exclaimed, "12 friends", holding up 8 of his fingers, "Good drinks" he said pointing to another marked area close to the barracks, "Locked, by Clunk" He said.

AtS
2010-08-08, 03:01 PM
Kinny picks up the key and peers at it, turning it over in his hands. "What's this used for?" he inquires of the Orc.

Averagedog
2010-08-09, 01:58 AM
"Torture chamber" The orc responds.

TheAmishPirate
2010-08-09, 11:38 AM
Chupo, after neatly arranging the loot in a heap, pipes in, "What's the Chief like? I hear about some Chiefs who are bad Chiefs who are big bullies and don't share their neat stuff just 'cause they're Chief. Is he like that?"

Averagedog
2010-08-09, 11:53 AM
The Orc frowns then says, "I never seen Chief. But Chief rule with Strong fist."

TheAmishPirate
2010-08-09, 01:21 PM
Chupo shrugged. "Aah, don't worry about it. Say, when do you and your friends sleep? No good coming for drinks if everyone's nappin'!"

Volthawk
2010-08-09, 02:42 PM
Lodeg sighs. "Erm, shouldn't we be leaving by now? I don't like staying around in the same place right now. Easier for us to get caught."

Averagedog
2010-08-11, 01:10 PM
"Me sleep whenever I want to" The orc said smiling. "We wake when boss wants us to."

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-12, 10:08 PM
Guys. We should go...
Chaka says with a worried expression on his face.

Volthawk
2010-08-13, 01:11 AM
"Come on! Here is not safe. We need to go. Now."

TheAmishPirate
2010-08-13, 08:22 AM
"Hm? Oh, right. The getting away part. Nearly forgot." Chupo addresses the others, whispering a little so the orc doesn't hear him. "So, we going after the fleshy one? I think we could do it. We took down those three a-pretty quick-like."

AtS
2010-08-13, 11:22 AM
Kinny gives the rest of the group a thumbs up.
"I wanna get outta here - and I bet dese orkies know the way out, so we should do our best to find a map or sumfin."

zimmerwald1915
2010-08-14, 12:13 AM
"Yeah, better than carrying the one this one gave us around in our heads."

Volthawk
2010-08-14, 11:11 AM
"Well, get the map. Then we kill him."

Averagedog
2010-08-14, 10:40 PM
The party of inteprid Kolbolds follow the charmed Orc's path. Soon enough they come across a heavy wooden door that looks much better maintained than the others you have seen thus far.

"Barracks", the Orc said.

Volthawk
2010-08-17, 01:15 PM
"Trouble? Why we heading to trouble?"

TheAmishPirate
2010-08-17, 02:14 PM
Chupo shushes Lodeg as he tries to get a better look inside the door. If there isn't a window, Chupo examines the door, looking for any way to block it.

Spot:Roll(1d20)+-2:
15,+-2

Search: Roll(1d20)+3:
19,+3
Total:22

zimmerwald1915
2010-08-17, 04:02 PM
"Why are we stopping here at all? If there are orcs here, we want to avoid them. We want to get to the Pits as soon as possible" he remembers the presence of the orc, and amends his statement "to see the show."

Just to be sure, Tulukhaz listens intently for sounds of movement or other signs of life inside the barracks.

Roll(1d20)-1:
6,-1
Total:5

The thick door thwarts his efforts.

Averagedog
2010-08-17, 04:20 PM
The door is indeed windowless and it is in much better condition than the previous doors you have all encountered recently. It appears the door is designed to be locked from the inside or the outside, but there isn't a hard bolt or any hinges to block the door with a heavy plank or anything. The hallway around is empty except for a few more doors. The closest door on this side Is also on the left about 50 feet down the hall. The closest door on the right is roughly 30 feet away.

Tulukhaz listens intently at pressing his earhole against the door, but failed to hear anything. For a moment he thought he heard heavy breathing, but that proved to be the Orc the group had charmed earlier.

TheAmishPirate
2010-08-17, 04:41 PM
Chupo frowned. It looked like their wouldn't be any way to block this door. No real problem, that just meant a few less of the plans in his head would actually stand a chance of working.

"Bacgh, you're right. Let'sa get moving."

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-18, 08:54 AM
Chaka stops to press his own ear to the door before following the rest of the kobolds
Listen:
Roll(1d20)+5:
18,+5
Total:23

Averagedog
2010-08-19, 01:43 PM
Unlike Chupo, chaka hears voices inside, he can't discern what they are saying but he also hears a few snores as well. He hears the sound of somethings rolling then the sounds of a shout accompanied by the sounds of a scuffle.

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-19, 04:09 PM
Chaka moves up to Chupo and whispers to him in draconic while gesturing back at the door

Chupo, I her fighting behind the door.

Volthawk
2010-08-19, 04:15 PM
Meanwhile, Lodeg stands against the wall, hands on his sword, watching the orc, distrust evident on his face.

TheAmishPirate
2010-08-20, 11:10 AM
Chupo turns to Chaka and whispers back, in Draconic, "A lotta fighting, or a little fighting?"

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-20, 01:55 PM
I dunno. just fighting. and snooring

zimmerwald1915
2010-08-20, 03:02 PM
Tulukhaz chuckles nastily and says in Draconic "maybe if we hide out here and wait for a while, they'll beat themselves up so bad we can just walk in and mop up."

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-20, 03:23 PM
But what about the old one? They could be hurting him while we wait. :smalleek:

TheAmishPirate
2010-08-27, 09:56 AM
Chupo scratches his chin thoughtfully. "But if they're in there beatin' each other up, then they're not guardin' the Pit. At least, not alla them. We should keep moving."

Averagedog
2010-08-27, 12:25 PM
There is a sudden slamming sound on the door as the shouts grow louder, amazingly the sound of snores persist in the background. More shouts are aroused and even the charmed orc seems uncomfortable.

"Lugzug cheated" He mumbled, "Me go see if can solve problem." The Orc balls his hands into fists and walks resolutely towards the door.

"Friends stay here."

zimmerwald1915
2010-08-27, 06:05 PM
Tulukhaz resists the urge to simply cradle his face in his hands, and forces himself to think rationally about their situation. The way Shabeth had explained the limits of the spell, the charmed orc wouldn't be persuaded to do something it wouldn't do on its own. It seemed as though Lugzug's cheating was something that offended the orc, and that putting a stop to it was its natural response, one that could not be suppressed by appeals to friendship. It looked like the orc would bring the whole barracks down on the group unless something else was done to stop that happening. Perhaps it would be beneficial to kill the orc now, but that didn't feel right to Tulukhaz. Taking it down in a straight-up fight was one thing: toying with its mind and heart beforehand made it murder.

There was something else he could do, though. Tulukhaz began humming softly, a tune that had sent him and the others to sleep many times.

Moving towards the orc and casting Lullaby DC 14. There's no map, so I don't know if my move takes me more than ten feet away from the other PCs. I'm just going to assume it does.

Tulukhaz's notes seem to last, resonating off the cave walls, even though he is now speaking in between them. "They've quieted down already, friend. The others must have caught Lugzug and stopped him themselves. Let's just keep going, okay?" He hoped his spell would render the orc no longer able to hear the rambunxiousness inside the barracks.

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-28, 07:29 AM
"Quickly. we should use this distraction and go now"

Volthawk
2010-08-28, 07:30 AM
Lodeg nods, and gestures at the orc. "And kill him."

Averagedog
2010-08-29, 02:03 PM
The Orc seems to trip slightly as he sways uncertain on his feet. A Dreamy expression creeps up on his face and his eyes glaze over. He dumbly follows the Kobolds down the corridoor, the scuffle in the barracks forgotten.

---------

Chaka and Chup Recieve 40 XP each

Tulukhaz recieves 80 XP

The rest of the party recieves 20 XP

----------

Further down the passage way, the Kobolds + charmed and Drowsy Orc, come across another door that looks even more secured. The wood of this door is banded with steel with a lock that looks like it was crafted expertly by someone that isn't Orc. A Single Torch burns near this door, making dark vision a little odd at such close proximity.

"Drinks and Food" the Charmed Orc says.

Volthawk
2010-08-29, 02:09 PM
Lodeg walks over to the lock and holds it, pointing at it and twisting his hand trying to imitate a key. The language barrier didn't help, but hopefully this would get the message across.

Averagedog
2010-08-31, 06:39 PM
The Orc frowns and fumbles for his key chain, which he discovered wasn't there. With a shrug, he knelt to the ground and started to pick around some of the rocks that were beaten down into the ground until he found a rather unremarkable rock. He picked it up and reached down into a hidden niche. His hand came up empty. He gave a little exasperated growl, took the stone, and slammed it against the lock hard. The Lock Held easily against the rock, the rock however crumbled to several pieces.

zimmerwald1915
2010-08-31, 07:15 PM
<"Does anybody want to try picking the lock? I would, but the closest I can come is smashing it, and we don't want to make noise. Or should we just move on again?">

<""> signifies Draconic