PDA

View Full Version : Arcane bond (pathfinder)

Prax4788
2010-07-15, 05:06 AM
im playing a wizard in a pathfinder game and im not sure what to go with

i was thinking of eather a raven familar and having it take UMD so i have an extra spell per turn

the other is a staff for the benefits of the spell and the ability to make it in to a good item as i level

what one of these seems more worth it

im plan to take many item crafting feats if this makes a deference

please help

Saph
2010-07-15, 05:09 AM
Both are good.

Bear in mind that you won't be able to use Arcane Bond to enchant your staff until you're level 11+ (since Craft Staff requires you to be level 11+). The main use of Arcane Bond is the free spell 1/day.

A UMDing familiar is always nice, too, but unless your DM allows custom items you'll have trouble getting to the +19 bonus that you need to reliably activate a wand until you're quite high level.

So either have their points, but they'll both take a while to get good.

Prax4788
2010-07-15, 05:12 AM
Both are good.

Bear in mind that you won't be able to use Arcane Bond to enchant your staff until you're level 11+ (since Craft Staff requires you to be level 11+). The main use of Arcane Bond is the free spell 1/day.

A UMDing familiar is always nice, too, but unless your DM allows custom items you'll have trouble getting to the +19 bonus that you need to reliably activate a wand until you're quite high level.

So either have their points, but they'll both take a while to get good.

i mainly was just going to use the raven to add spell i cant case at low level
and spell i dont have time to cast example
i cast shield he casts bark skin next turn i cast ray of frost he cast mage armor

so if that changes anything......

mainly im just wondering with scroll and such do i need the staff and with quicken spell on my lower level spells do i need the familiar? seeing as how it will only get lower level spells anyway?