PDA

View Full Version : critique on a slight change to dread necromancer.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-15, 05:26 AM
Well, it looks like my group is going to be switching to 3.5. This shouldn't be a problem for the most part but I notice one slight thing that may end up being a problem. In 4th edition one of my players is a Necromancer (third party book) and he likes attacking with a Scythe. However, due to the Necromancer's BAB in 3.5, this isn't really an option.

Would changing the Necromancer's BAB to 3/4s create a problem I'm unaware of? Keep in mind it's kind of early so I may not notice anything right off the bat.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-15, 05:27 AM
Cleric

that is all.

nyarlathotep
2010-07-15, 05:30 AM
Due to lack of cleric buff spells it really shouldn't be an issue. Also I'd recommend him getting the channeling or necrotic focus abilities fro his scyth so that his touch attack abilities transfer.

Saph
2010-07-15, 05:32 AM
It should work OK - Dread Necros usually do more damage with their charnel touch or touch attack spells, so on average the player won't be gaining anything much by switching to a scythe, even with the 3/4 BAB bump.

BobVosh
2010-07-15, 05:35 AM
It should work OK - Dread Necros usually do more damage with their charnel touch or touch attack spells, so on average the player won't be gaining anything much by switching to a scythe, even with the 3/4 BAB bump.

Alternatively you can just let him channel these touches through his scythe, where he doesn't even really need to *mechanically* use the scythe.

Escheton
2010-07-15, 05:38 AM
Low lvls depend more on str then bab anyways. So that should not matter for the first 3 lvls.
And if you arent using ghoul touch with a scyth coup the grace a bit later you might be missing something.
And with summons, create undead and more later you will always have a flanking buddy/have someone to trip your foe for a +4.
Stacking fear effects also gives you some advantage too hitting your foe. I don't think a cowering foe with the -2 to ac and no dex bonus will be a problem to hit.

In conclusion, dread necro's have more then enough ways to land hits. Upping their bab would be too much.

Saph
2010-07-15, 05:39 AM
Alternatively you can just let him channel these touches through his scythe, where he doesn't even really need to *mechanically* use the scythe.

Well, I assumed that the point of using the scythe was because the player wanted to actually hack things with a scythe. Lots of necromancer-players do, for some reason. I think it's the Grim Reaper thing.

Morph Bark
2010-07-15, 05:39 AM

Of course, this shouldn't be allowed in combination with an actual attack with the scythe, otherwise you might as well be a Duskblade with necromancy spells thrown in.

hamishspence
2010-07-15, 05:40 AM
Mmm- necroblade :smallbiggrin:

Might be an interesting spinoff from the dread necromancer.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-15, 05:45 AM
Low lvls depend more on str then bab anyways. So that should not matter for the first 3 lvls..

Well, we're actually continuing the current campaign we're in, just changing the characters to be 3.5 friendly. So, the campaign will be level 8.

it's the Grim Reaper thing. This is correct.

Tyger
2010-07-15, 06:38 AM
Well, we're actually continuing the current campaign we're in, just changing the characters to be 3.5 friendly. So, the campaign will be level 8.

This is correct.

While there wouldn't be any significant consequences to making the Dread Necro a 3/4 BAB (assuming the rest of your party isn't all Tier 4 and below of course), he just hit 8th level... if he's anything like the DNs we see posted here, he is about to discover the joy of animating dead. And once that happens, its rather unlikely he'll continue with the melee combat. :) He won't need to.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-15, 07:33 PM
I asked the player today and he said he'd still want to use his scythe even with the undead minions.

Tyger
2010-07-15, 08:09 PM
Hey, sometimes you just wanna do go ape with a scythe. Worked for Louis in The Vampire Lestat. That's style and rage, all in one. :smallbiggrin:

Watchers
2010-07-15, 08:42 PM
Frankly, if they want to hit things instead of cast spells, let them. I'd allow it, myself.

Nightson
2010-07-16, 01:44 AM
Making some upgrades to an option that a player wants to use for the flavor is double plus good.

PId6
2010-07-16, 02:21 AM
No real problems that I can see. Makes entry into certain gish PrCs a bit easier, but DNs don't make great gishes anyhow due to lack of buffs. I'd allow applying Charnel Touch to the scythe damage as well, since otherwise it's not going to be making much of any difference.

icefractal
2010-07-16, 02:59 AM
I concur with letting him channel Charnel Touch through the scythe. It's really not going to be overpowered - in fact, spending more time scythe-attacking and less time casting death spells and raising zombie hydras is probably a bit of a power-loss in itself.

super dark33
2010-07-16, 05:48 AM
cleric of neroll.end of story

Quasar
2010-07-16, 02:33 PM
It will probably be fine in all likelihood. Combat isn't really the Necromancer's forte once he reaches mid-levels anyway.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-16, 02:45 PM
cleric of neroll.end of story

Not going to really work. The campaign has them fighting against evil gods. Having them be the servant of one would be kind of odd don't you think?

Tyndmyr
2010-07-16, 02:53 PM
Scythes are in fact practical and stylish.

Higher bab is not going to be overpowered. Let him rock out with his scythe.

PapaNachos
2010-07-16, 02:55 PM
It doesn't look like a problem, remember that WotC is not all knowing and the rules aren't perfectly optimized for balance.
The point of playing is to have fun. As the DM you're well within your rights to override any rules in pursuit of that goal. If you want just call it a +N Badass bonus.

UnChosenOne
2010-07-16, 02:57 PM
If you are usig Forgotten Realmsseting this might helpful:

Maybe he should be Cleric of Jergal (LN demipower whose portfolio is Fatalism, Guardian of tombs and Proper burial. Favored weapon: Scythe) instead. PC could be part of Companions of the Pallid Mask. (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Companions_of_the_Pallid_Mask)

Pechvarry
2010-07-16, 03:03 PM
I don't have Dread Necro at my disposal, but my assumption is they have an at-will negative energy touch attack.

Seems like you could simply fluff that as materializing a scythe out of nightmares or whatever other Darky McDarkemups Dark theme he wants. As a touch attack, the low BAB will still work just fine. Create some cool materialization for when he uses the ability on undead to heal them.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-16, 03:07 PM
Scythes are in fact practical and stylish.

Higher bab is not going to be overpowered. Let him rock out with his scythe.

No no, the term you're thinking of is "Axe":smalltongue:Yeah, I know. horrible joke.

Okay, sounds like most p[eople are saying it'll hardly overpower the class so look like he's getting extra BAB.

EDIT:
If you are usig Forgotten Realmsseting this might helpful:

Maybe he should be Cleric of Jergal (LN demipower whose portfolio is Fatalism, Guardian of tombs and Proper burial. Favored weapon: Scythe) instead. PC could be part of Companions of the Pallid Mask. (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Companions_of_the_Pallid_Mask)

Something like this might work.