PDA

View Full Version : Best Races for Arcane and Psionic characters?

EENick
2010-07-15, 08:18 AM
Any suggestions are what the bests races for Arcane/Psionic casters without taking any level penalties?

I've looked at a few of the Psionic races but I wasn't all that impressed.

Thank you in advance.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-15, 08:20 AM
Lesser Thiefling is good. +2 to Int, +2 to Dex and -2 to Cha plus some other minor perks. No LA.

Fortuna
2010-07-15, 08:23 AM
Lesser Aasimar, on the other hand, for Wilders and Sorcs.

Sophin87
2010-07-15, 08:23 AM
Gray Elves (MM) are good +2 Int is amazing.

Kalashtar (RoE) are nice for Psions as they gain extra PP each level.

The ol' cheesy venerable dragonwrought kobold does the trick as well.

Acanous
2010-07-15, 08:24 AM
Gnome if you're going Illusionist. Human is pretty good as well, the free feat can get you early access to some arcane prestige classes.

Plus if you don't have Collegiate Wizard, and you're a wizard, you're doing it wrong.

EENick
2010-07-15, 09:03 AM
Gray Elves (MM) are good +2 Int is amazing.

Kalashtar (RoE) are nice for Psions as they gain extra PP each level.

The ol' cheesy venerable dragonwrought kobold does the trick as well.

Lesser Thiefling is good. +2 to Int, +2 to Dex and -2 to Cha plus some other minor perks. No LA.

That is more along the lines of what I was looking for thanks.

Hmm if only the Kalshtar got some sort of bonus to intelligence or even charisma. I'll have to take a glance at the Thiefling.

Optimystik
2010-07-15, 09:07 AM
I've looked at a few of the Psionic races but I wasn't all that impressed.

That's because you're not using their racial subs (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/racial-specialty-levels) :smallsmile:

Even without them though, Half Giants make excellent Psywars due to Powerful Build. Xeph make great Psychic Rogues. Synads, Kalashtar and Psiforged are great Psions.

Elans aren't bad, but I don't see the need for the -2 Cha. Maenads are lackluster without the racial subs above.

Zovc
2010-07-15, 09:08 AM
Fire Elves (Unearthed Arcana) also get a +2 to Intelligence.

Elans deserve special mention for any character with Power Points to spare: not taking damage is generally a good thing.

Optimystik
2010-07-15, 09:12 AM
Elans deserve special mention for any character with Power Points to spare: not taking damage is generally a good thing.

Immortality is nice also (just to know it's there.)

I love their fluff too - both in Greyhawk and Eberron.

Critical
2010-07-15, 09:21 AM
Human for everything. :smallcool:

EENick
2010-07-15, 09:25 AM
That's because you're not using their racial subs (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/racial-specialty-levels) :smallsmile:

Even without them though, Half Giants make excellent Psywars due to Powerful Build. Xeph make great Psychic Rogues. Synads, Kalashtar and Psiforged are great Psions.

Elans aren't bad, but I don't see the need for the -2 Cha. Maenads are lackluster without the racial subs above.

Okay whow the Elan psion's are pretty impressive. Only one things gives me pause. It seems like at first level they'll pick up power points as a Psion but still won't know any powers making a elan rather worthless until they get to second level or am I reading that incorrectly?

okpokalypse
2010-07-15, 09:25 AM
I don't ever see a +2 Int or what have you being worth the loss of the bonus Feat at 1st level that a human gives you as a Caster / Manifester. It's just too valuable. If I'm not getting at least a +4 Int or better, I'd stick with Human.

okpokalypse
2010-07-15, 09:28 AM
Oh, and if you're thinking Psionics, do yourself a favor and go Ardent w/ Dominant Idealist at L10. It gives you a dual bonus of no longer having to expend your psionic focus for 1 Mantle when applying Meta-Psionics (which is HUGE) AND all powers in that Mantle cost 2 PSP less to enhance with Meta-Psionics.

They're also Wis primary so that you've got some nice Synergy on your Will Saves, and you could always take Zen Archery if you want to include Ranged Attacks or a lot of Ranged Touch type of attacks.

Malakar
2010-07-15, 09:40 AM
I don't ever see a +2 Int or what have you being worth the loss of the bonus Feat at 1st level that a human gives you as a Caster / Manifester. It's just too valuable. If I'm not getting at least a +4 Int or better, I'd stick with Human.

I don't see a bonus feat ever being worth +2 Int to your primary casting stat.

That extra +2 is almost always one extra spell of your highest or second highest level, and it's a +1 on saving throws, which is your main RNG.

As for races: Int based casting: Dragonborn Fire Elf, Deep Imaskari, Gray Elf or Dragonborn Gray Elf, Lesser Tiefling, Lesser Gensai (Fire and Air?)

Cha based casting: Spellscale, Hellbred, Lesser Aasimar, Star Elf.

Cha is kinda shafted by WotC and I have no idea why. Hellbred are probably far and away the best of the lot, but have a very specific fluff.

You could always ask for a Magic Blooded (+2 Cha -2 Wis, some minor other stuff) anything else and see.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-15, 09:41 AM
Okay whow the Elan psion's are pretty impressive. Only one things gives me pause. It seems like at first level they'll pick up power points as a Psion but still won't know any powers making a elan rather worthless until they get to second level or am I reading that incorrectly?

Nothing that nasty. Your first elan psion level has 1 less power known. Instead of starting with 3 powers known you start with 2 powers known.

Zovc
2010-07-15, 09:41 AM
Immortality is nice also (just to know it's there.)

I love their fluff too - both in Greyhawk and Eberron.

Indeed, sir.

Optimystik
2010-07-15, 09:45 AM

Humans are the best at everything, we all know this.

They're also boring.

Oh, and if you're thinking Psionics, do yourself a favor and go Ardent w/ Dominant Idealist at L10. It gives you a dual bonus of no longer having to expend your psionic focus for 1 Mantle when applying Meta-Psionics (which is HUGE) AND all powers in that Mantle cost 2 PSP less to enhance with Meta-Psionics.

They're also Wis primary so that you've got some nice Synergy on your Will Saves, and you could always take Zen Archery if you want to include Ranged Attacks or a lot of Ranged Touch type of attacks.

Don't forget they also get heavy armor/shield proficiency, which doesn't interfere with your manifesting.

Zovc
2010-07-15, 09:47 AM
Humans are the best at everything, we all know this.

What about Strongheart Halflings and Azurins? :smallamused:

Optimystik
2010-07-15, 09:58 AM
What about Strongheart Halflings and Azurins? :smallamused:

20 ft. move speed and Favored Class: Soulborn (yuck!) respectively.

Zovc
2010-07-15, 10:02 AM
20 ft. move speed

Doesn't matter when you can fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fly.htm)!

Favored Class: Soulborn (yuck!) respectively.

...and doesn't matter if you don't use lame multiclassing experience penalty rules!

HA!

Optimystik
2010-07-15, 10:04 AM
Doesn't matter when you can fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fly.htm)!

That can be tricky underground :smallwink:

...and doesn't matter if you don't use lame multiclassing experience penalty rules!

This, I have no argument with.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-15, 11:07 AM
20 ft. move speed and Favored Class: Soulborn (yuck!) respectively.

Wait, didn't Azurins have Favored Class: Incarnate?

EENick
2010-07-15, 12:25 PM
Incarnate?

Coidzor
2010-07-15, 12:35 PM
This, I have no argument with.

So, how are they without that problem?

Optimystik
2010-07-15, 12:44 PM
Wait, didn't Azurins have Favored Class: Incarnate?

I wish! No, it's Soulborn. Rilkans get Incarnate.

Incarnate?

Very decent base class from Magic of Incarnum. Handbook here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6920.0) if you're curious.

So, how are they without that problem?

I meant, I agree that if you avoid multiclass penalties (as all DMs should) then Azurins become an attractive choice for many classes.

They trade the increased skill points for essentia even so.

EENick
2010-07-15, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the information and suggestions

Zovc
2010-07-15, 03:05 PM
Combine Dragonborn with Gray Elf or Fire Elf for great justice.

ex cathedra
2010-07-15, 03:20 PM
A certain item in Magic of Eberron makes Kalashtar Psions potentially stupidly powerful, making them a fine choice. Whisper Gnomes are pretty alright for certain arcane classes, as well. Most of the other good selections have already been named. Also, Beguilers make great Beguilers.

Andion Isurand
2010-07-15, 03:37 PM
"Lesser" Half-Giant -- Complete Psionic pg. 148
with the Spark (Magic-blooded) template -- Dragon Magazine 306, pg. 65
and the Primordial Giant template -- Secrets of Xendrik, pg. 81

LA +0
-4 str, -2 dex, +4 int, -2 wis, +6 cha
two favored classes of warlock and sorcerer
...among other traits

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Arcane Gnomes (3.0) from Dragon Magazine 291 (pg 34).

same features as the standard gnome, except:
+2 Int, -2 Wis (in addition to -2 Str, +2 Con)
Use Magic Device is always a class skill
they lose the Speak with Animals ability
have Wizard as their favored class

Dragon Magazine 297 + Player's Guide to Fearun

Lesser Axani planetouched (lawful descent) for +2 Int and +2 Wis
or
Lesser Cansin planeotuched (chaotic descent) for +2 Int and +2 Cha

If only INT based, consider the Arctic template from Dragion 306 for +2 con and -2 cha among other things.

plus you can take Keen Intellect (OA 3.5 -- dragon #318) as your first level only feat to minimize the wisdom penalty

In addition to letting you use Int instead of Wis for Will saves, the feat also let's you do the same for Heal, Spot, Sense Motive and Survival skill checks.

Darrin
2010-07-15, 04:12 PM
"Lesser" Half-Giant -- Complete Psionic pg. 148
with the Spark (Magic-blooded) template -- Dragon Magazine 306, pg. 65
and the Primordial Giant template -- Secrets of Xendrik, pg. 81

Is it possible to play a lesser version of a Half-Giant and not take the racial class levels/2nd level abilities? I can't tell from the text...

Tedesche
2010-07-15, 08:49 PM
Nothing that nasty. Your first elan psion level has 1 less power known. Instead of starting with 3 powers known you start with 2 powers known.

Where is this coming from? I see nothing in the Elan racial description or the Psion class description that says Elans start with one less power known. What obvious item of information am I missing?

ScionoftheVoid
2010-07-15, 09:10 PM
Where is this coming from? I see nothing in the Elan racial description or the Psion class description that says Elans start with one less power known. What obvious item of information am I missing?

Elan racial substitution level. (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/racial-specialty-levels)

Tedesche
2010-07-15, 09:27 PM
Elan racial substitution level. (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/racial-specialty-levels)

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.