PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer in Melee

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-15, 09:31 AM
Hello,

I need some good spells and feats for a sorcerer who will be in melee quite a bit.

I have access to almost everything but I'd like to keep it to core+spell compendium.

Prodan
2010-07-15, 09:32 AM
Wings of Cover
Wings of Flurry

Saph
2010-07-15, 09:35 AM
Wings of Cover and Flurry are from Races of the Dragon. The other spell I'd normally recommend is Heart of Earth, but that's from Complete Mage.

Mage Armour and Shield are obvious. From the Spell Compendium I'd recommend looking into Dragonskin and the Bite of the (whatever) line. Fire Shield can be good, too.

Tyndmyr
2010-07-15, 09:43 AM
Those really are mandatory, albeit not in core + spc.

What's the goal for this character? Gish? What level?

Killer Angel
2010-07-15, 09:53 AM
Staying in Core, Alter Self and all the Polymorf line.

subject42
2010-07-15, 09:57 AM
I don't know if they got republished in the Spell Compendium, but "Greater Mighty Wallop" and Wraithstrike are spectacular.

Greater mighty wallop increases the effective weapon size of a bludgeoning weapon.

Wraithstrike makes your attacks resolve as touch attacks.

true_shinken
2010-07-15, 10:03 AM
Greater Mirror Image springs to mind.
I also like Lightning Leap.

Iku Rex
2010-07-15, 11:15 AM
What spell level(s) are we talking about here?

Sarquion
2010-07-15, 11:22 AM
Could get fly for flyby attack or somthing?

jiriku
2010-07-15, 11:28 AM
PHB
mage armor
alter self (choose a form with flight, natural attacks or natural armor)
mirror image
polymorph
true strike
false life
fire shield

SpC
bite of the x
wraithstrike
greater mage armor
greater resistance
superior resistance
ruin delver's fortune
whirling blade

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-15, 01:40 PM
What's the goal for this character? Gish? What level?

This character is one i'm developing for an upcoming game. She's going to be Straight sorcerer, but we're using the pathfinder sorcerer so there's that. I'll have the Draconic Bloodline (slighty modified and refluffed for setting by the GM)

Starting level one but i expect to go straight through. I'm just trying to build my spell/feat selections now so i can clear them all with the GM before hand. it's a very Custom Universe with a few oddities that might make certain things change or not exist at all.

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-15, 03:00 PM
Could start a new thread for this, but it's pretty much the same question as this. I've been thinking about making an incantatrix that will be strictly melee buffing. any Good spells for that? Maybe Transformation, but I hate to lose casting.

nedz
2010-07-15, 03:23 PM
Fist of Stone (SpC) and Enlarge Person (PH) seem to work well, and since there both 1st level you can use them from the off.

Tyndmyr
2010-07-15, 03:33 PM
All four of the heart spells. Heart of fire is the most powerful(complete mage, IIRC is where they are, if you can use that book), but using all four gives you nifty things. Immunity to crits for one...At will freedom of movement...massive fire resist...much more.

Alter Self is definitely readily available, and is a classic. The polymorph line is also good.

Consider multiclassing so you can pick up a nice gish class. Look for things that give you weapon proficiencies without sacrificing caster levels for a one level dip, allowing you painless enterance to eldritch knight or other classic gish options. I know at least one of them exists...one of the numerous dragon classes. This'd work great in conjunction with your bloodline and the aforementioned wings of flurry/cover, and instantly gives your character a solid theme.

Even in pathfinder, the bloodlines don't offer a lot to a melee caster, so avoid sinking too many levels into sorc.

Ironguard and it's greater cousin are also fabulously powerful. Immunity to metal weapon attacks, chaching!

ericgrau
2010-07-15, 04:08 PM
If you wish to survive, you'd want skill focus(concentration) or combat casting. Combat casting is a slightly higher bonus but it is less versatile. Certain defensive spells are popular, but they are also a round consuming trap when you could be doing something offensive. I'd rather boost my constitution or other defenses instead. If anything I'd get the various wall, fog, slow and other barrier / area debuff spells. That will both make the fight a lot easier for your allies and maybe keep enemies away from you at the same time. Because 2 fights against 3 opponents each is FAR easier than 6 all at once. In fact, these kinds of spells are the best spells in general.

There are also some good splatbook defensive items. But in core your only option that doesn't take an action (besides stat boosts), is the horrible cloak of minor displacement. It's very expensive for only 20%. Even boosting AC would be better, and casters have the hardest time at this. Oh ya, you should still get a +1 or +2 here and there in AC; multiple cheap 5%'s do add up.

If you want to actually use a melee weapon that's an entire other detailed topic.

Vilyathas
2010-07-15, 08:42 PM
So, your PC's modus operandi is to Polymorph and wade into combat? *Insert Power Rangers joke here*

1. Resistance, and its Improved and Superior versions from the Spell Compendium.
2. Mage Armor and Greater Mage Armor.
3. Offensive buff spells like Death Armor, Fire Shield, Melf's Acid Sheath, etc.
4. The Power Words 1 to 9, although some are questionable in effectiveness, it's verbal only. The lesser Power Words are from Races of Dragon, IIRC.
5. Greater Invisibility, Blur, Displacement, and Greater Blink.
6. I hesitate to recommend this, but Tenser's Transformation! :smalltongue:
7. Again, IIRC, there's a spell in the Spell Compendium that lets you become a Huge warforged Titan or something.
8. And, if you don't mind splashing for material components, Stoneskin.

Roc Ness
2010-07-15, 09:38 PM
Thunderlance (SC)

Force Damage, Cha to Attack/Damage, Save: No, SR: No, grants 20ft reach. Give your sorcerer some Attack of Opportunity feats and go to town.

peacenlove
2010-07-15, 10:05 PM
I would like to add wraithform from spell compendium. Being incorporeal opens many tactical advantages including striking from the floor or from inside of one of your allies / large or bigger summons. If you liberally use touch spells or polymorph forms that do not rely on strength to deal damage and your dexterity is higher than your strength (as it should be) then it is a very good defensive and tactical buff. As a bonus you get your charisma as a bonus to deflection AC. (Sadly it is triumphed by shapechange but what isn't anyway?)

Mongoose87
2010-07-15, 10:49 PM
If you're playing a sorcerer and you really want to go into melee, the Pathfinder Dragon Disciple is no longer a poor choice. It also advances your draconic bloodline, IIRC.

Also, Wraithstrike.

the humanity
2010-07-15, 11:16 PM
Battle Sorcerer.

also, I always enjoyed the karmic aura chain.