PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Feats only (WIP)

Knave
2010-07-15, 11:13 AM
Heya!

Been a while since I posted (or lurked, really), but I've had this idea after reading Unearthed Arcana a bit, especially the "generic classes" optional rule.

In short:

No Class features
No BaB, Save, Skill points, HP, Caster level advancement per level
In fact, no classes at all
Feats only
FINAL DESTINATION!

The idea is that looking at the classes (especially martial PrC but), you can break down each into a set of feats rather easily. then have a generic "no class" that acts basically as a restriction-less fighter... with even more feats.

You may think "That sounds rather nice Knave. I can already picture it, welcome to generic character-ville, population EVERYONE HAS THE SAME HIT/SKILL-POINTS, SAVES AND BAB ASDFAGASDF".

AHA! I knew you'd think that, and have already thought of the answer. The solution is that feats, on top of giving a new ability to the character, also give an assorted set of bonus to class features. For example, feats like weapon proficiencies, focus/specialization would give bonus to health, BAB, and fort saves, whereas feats that mimic class features such as back stab/trap finding would give lesser bonuses to the previous stuff, but more extra skill points and reflex saves. Finally, feats that can be used to learn spells give + to will saves and caster levels.

Okay, so now you may ask "Y DO DIS? D:"

Ease of character building, flexibility, and equal number of options.

With no classes there's no multi-classing, no stupid PRCs only worth dips. When you advance, you just pick the next feat that you want, add up the bonuses it gives and you're done.

This also ensures you get some actual useful goodies each level (hemhem fighter), even if you are not a caster. In fact, since casters will have to spend their feats on getting spells, this means that they'll be probably a bit more balanced towards non-caster classes when it comes to the number of options.

Also, no tables. Though, the statblock would be a bit more expanded.

Anyway, I'll start dissecting the classes and doing the math later, till then feel free to comment.

Milskidasith
2010-07-15, 11:15 AM
I've seen this attempted before.

It's an overambitious project that generally leads to tons of imbalances, such as the fact that the monk, by virtue of having a ton of class features, is mechanically much harder to build than wizards, who take very little to do.

I eagerly await your attempt to fix D&D with this type of system, but I find it rarely works out without a greater number and more obvious abuses than regular D&D.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-15, 12:08 PM
Hah! I had this exact idea a while ago, but never worked on it. On BAB etc., perhaps those could come in independent feat form as well. To discourage ridiculous min/maxing you could have minimum BAB etc. for each level, meaning that some feats have to spent on it occasionally, and also maximum bonuses, meaning no +40 BAB at 10th level.

Just some basic ideas. Exited to see how this project progresses!

Knave
2010-07-15, 12:40 PM
Oh hey, another Sirliner :D

And yeah, I know it's over ambitious, and there's a chance I'll drop it maybe even before finishing up the PHB classes, but this idea had been in my head for quite a while now, and I feel I HAVE to work on it, if for nothing else to get it out of my system. And then, the only problem I can think of in the PHB is non-spontaneous casters, and maybe domains.

For the record, all classes will change a lot.. some slightly more than others.

And Scribe, what you wrote is exactly why I'd rather go ahead and put the saves and stuff on the feats right away. There's a lot less of a chance to stupid min-max that way, and saves a lot of hassle.

IcarusWings
2010-07-15, 02:15 PM
This is what I'm doing in my system Valour d20 (see sig), sorta like nWoD Merits.

Glimbur
2010-07-15, 09:37 PM
You might be better served by an actual point buy system. I have not played the latest edition of GURPS, so I can't recommend it, but it is point buy.