PDA

View Full Version : Turning the Cleric into a Paladin?

gallagher
2010-07-15, 11:26 AM
how would i go about making a cleric build that does all the things that a paladin does, but better?

or, i guess, what is the best (most optimized) martial Cleric build?

Caphi
2010-07-15, 11:28 AM
how would i go about making a cleric build that does all the things that a paladin does, but better?

or, i guess, what is the best martial Cleric build?

Cast persist divine power.

Grumman
2010-07-15, 11:28 AM
Prestige Paladin? Or Ruby Knight Vindicator?

Mr.Moron
2010-07-15, 11:39 AM
Cleric 20 with the Destruction domain, Wild Cohort and Extra Smiting already does everything the paladin does but better.

You don't really need a fancy build for it.

gallagher
2010-07-15, 11:41 AM
Cleric 20 with the Destruction domain, Wild Cohort and Extra Smiting already does everything the paladin does but better.

You don't really need a fancy build for it.i guess what i am looking for is the most optimized martial-focused cleric. i will edit the OP for that

mcl01
2010-07-15, 11:43 AM
cleric buff spells, really. Righteous Might, Divine Power, Divine Favor, etc.

Prestige classes can do you some good. Fist of Raziel, Prestige Paladin (3 levels max), and Ordained Champion are good places to start.

Mr.Moron
2010-07-15, 11:48 AM
i guess what i am looking for is the most optimized martial-focused cleric. i will edit the OP for that

There are a couple different approaches you could take to a martial focused cleric. Do you have a specific combat style in mind?

EDIT: What (if any) noncombat abilities would you want to emphasize in addition to your fightin'? Also, what sources do you have available.

Mongoose87
2010-07-15, 12:03 PM
Either Cleric 4/Crusader1/ Ruby Knight Windicator 10/Cleric Prc 5

or

Cleric x/Ordained Champion 5/Cleric Prc y

Toliudar
2010-07-15, 12:16 PM
The obligatory handbook link. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0)

Optimystik
2010-07-15, 12:21 PM
Fist of Raziel from BoED. Gets MWP, Smite Evil, 9/10 casting, full BAB.

No mount - but that's what Planar Ally is for.

Murdim
2010-07-15, 12:59 PM
The actual difficulty would be to make a Paladin that does what he's meant to do without being overshadowed by a mildly optimised Cleric, really. Healing spells trump Lay on Hands and Remove disease, Conjuration spells trump Special Mount, buff spells and the War domain trump the better BAB and martial weapon proficiency, even more buff spells and the Destruction domain trump Smite Evil.

erikun
2010-07-15, 05:22 PM
Prestige Paladin? Or Ruby Knight Vindicator?
Why not both? Crusader 2/Cleric 3/Prestige Paladin 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator gets you all the Paladin spells on your spell list, rather decent casting and nearly full BAB. You lose 4 caster levels and thus 9th level spells, but if you are wanting to run the character "as a Paladin" then I will assume that focusing on spellcasting is not your priority.

Mongoose87
2010-07-15, 05:29 PM
Why not both? Crusader 2/Cleric 3/Prestige Paladin 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator gets you all the Paladin spells on your spell list, rather decent casting and nearly full BAB. You lose 4 caster levels and thus 9th level spells, but if you are wanting to run the character "as a Paladin" then I will assume that focusing on spellcasting is not your priority.

Just to be safe, though, make sure you take Battle Blessing!

Psyx
2010-07-16, 03:41 AM
"how would i go about making a cleric build that does all the things that a paladin does, but better?"

Start off as a cleric, then get drunk and open the pages of CD, CC and BoED at random, selecting feats, domains and spells with your eyes closed.

That should pretty much do it.

Hal
2010-07-16, 05:24 AM
Has anyone mentioned the Prestige class Paladin yet?

Was that Unearthed Arcana? Been too long.

Murdim
2010-07-16, 05:40 AM
Has anyone mentioned the Prestige class Paladin yet?

Was that Unearthed Arcana? Been too long.
Yes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8928672#post8928672) and yes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin).