PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Character suggestions requested

MariettaGecko
2010-07-15, 12:33 PM
So I am playing in a 3.5 D&D game at this time. We are playing in the Eberron campaign setting, and are getting ready to start up again, since we had taken a hiatus for a while. Previously, we were playing Gestalt, but there is a possibility that we will be rebuilding the characters as non-Gestalt characters.

Prior to the previous break, I started playing as a Psion/Paladin, but died horribly so I had just rolled up a Wood Elf Ranger/Scout. I think we were level 10, but I'm not completely sure. Ultimately, I wasn't really all that happy with the Ranger/Scout, so I was hoping I could get some suggestions from the playground. The party currently consists of the following:

Half-Elf Druid/Bard
Human Duskblade / Spellthief
Warforged Ranger/Arcane Archer
Whisper Gnome Ninja/Scout
Human Artificer/Wizard(?)
Synad Rogue/Psionic Lurk (Currently Inactive due to RL issues)
Human Duskblade/Artificer (NPC)
Warforged Paladin/Dragon Shaman (NPC)

The druid/bard has already indicated that if we de-gestalt, she'll drop the bard levels. The whispergnome has indicated that she will do a complete rebuild, the Ranger/Arcane Archer has indicated that he might rebuild as a wizard or sorceror.

I generally prefer to play something which can do damage at range, although I must admit that I had fun with the Paladin/Psion. The DM has given us a special feat called Legendary which gives +1 ability every three levels *IF* you have at least a +1 bonus on all the abilities. Although I think we're using a point buy somewhat non-standard, go ahead and use the 32-point PB, if you decide to do an actual build.

I am ok with multiclassing a bit more, but I am curious what others might suggest for a character build that I might consider, either for Gestalt or non-Gestalt.

Optimystik
2010-07-15, 12:54 PM
I started playing as a Psion/Paladin...

Oh yuck :smalltongue: I'd even go with Divine Mind over that, unless Paladin was just a dip.

Since you had fun with it though, why not be a Wilder/Paladin? Wilders make great gishes, and you will get your casting stat to saves and touch AC (up to a maximum of your regular AC, so wear full-plate and carry a shield.) Surging Euphoria will also pump you up in melee.

Just take the Educated Wilder ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) that trades Volatile Mind out for more powers known.

Bagelz
2010-07-15, 12:54 PM
Do you consider reach as at range? If so I highly recommend being a shifter, and taking the warshaper presige class as soon as possible (for 4 levels not all 5). You get to make unarmed attacks at reach, with larger damage die, immune to crits, and some other useful features. Focus on opportunity attacks for your feats.

True ranged: you cannot beat a caster (cleric or wizard).

Optimystik
2010-07-15, 12:58 PM
Expanding on the Shifter idea - Shifters get excellent Wilder racial subs in Races of Eberron. With Wild Psychometabolism you can learn egoist powers (including Metamorphosis and Greater Metamorphosis) without spending feats. You can also stay shifted longer when you experience Surging Euphoria. Best of all, you trade nothing for either of these subs.

Abaddon87
2010-07-15, 01:08 PM
Although I have never played in Eberron, from what you say about the party I would recommend a fighter/barbarian. If you go gestalt I would recommend fighter/Frenzied Berserker//Barbarian. Should be a fun character to play and it would be different from the other characters at the very least! Maybe kill his INT and CHA and make him a true "big n dumb" smasher! Be the guy no one wants at the party but when the stuff hit the fan, you come and smash/slash the danger away...

MariettaGecko
2010-07-15, 01:45 PM
The sad part is that I have been looking at the Iron Chef optimization threads, and have been entirely too tempted to try to run one of those builds, assuming that we don't stay Gestalt. If we did, well... that would be a different issue.

Kylarra
2010-07-15, 02:10 PM
Dragonfire Adept! Solid chassis, at will ranged attack, strong enough to play from 1-20.