PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] I wanted to throw tigers...

Zovc
2010-07-15, 02:13 PM
I was inspired enough by my signature one day to sit down and try to make a character who throws tigers. Here's what my train of thought was:

Hulking Hurler to arguably be able to throw tigers, naturally.

I was having the most trouble figuring out how to get more than one tiger, though. Maybe it was 3.0, but I remember Druids being able to get more than one animal companion, so long as their total HD = the (effective) Druid's level.

Anyways, I then started looking at some lulzy things Master Thrower would technically enable, such as being able to knock people down with thrown tigers.

My friend asked me how I decide how much damage a thrown tiger would do. I was like, "Well, I guess the tiger would just get a full attack, it has pounce after all." Then I came across the Drunken Master, which gives my improvised weapons larger dice.

Not sure what to do with this information, though.

woodenbandman
2010-07-15, 02:23 PM
Step 1: Get tiger
Step 2: Train tiger to be your bestest friend
Step 3: Teach tiger the Falling Tiger Style kung-fu (advance it enough HD to get a feat, teach it battle jump)
Step 4: Be huge (gargantuan would be nice as well), take Fling Ally feat (a Half-giant Psychic warrior would work)
Step 5: ???

Where am i going with this?

Prodan
2010-07-15, 02:24 PM
Stick a Necklace of Natural Weapons on the tiger, enchant it with the "Throwing" and "Returning" enchantments.

Zovc
2010-07-15, 02:25 PM
Step 1: Get tiger
Step 2: Train tiger to be your bestest friend
Step 3: Teach tiger the Falling Tiger Style kung-fu (advance it enough HD to get a feat, teach it battle jump)
Step 4: Be huge (gargantuan would be nice as well), take Fling Ally feat (a Half-giant Psychic warrior would work)
Step 5: ???

Where am i going with this?

So, if I'm following you, we've got a Half-Giant Druid/PsyWar so far? Or isn't there a feat that gives a character a druid animal companion?

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-15, 02:41 PM
Feat: Wild Cohort http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a

Skill: handle animal
one tiger is your cohort, the rest are your pets. . . . Train them all to be thrown. . . (i'd count "be a projectile" as probably 2 tricks, 3 if you want it to attack what it's thrown at)

Enchanting your tigers to be returning weapons would be funny. . .

Woot for abuse of Handle Animal skill. . .

while we're at it, train all the tigers to be warbeasts. . .

Morph Bark
2010-07-15, 02:59 PM

Alternatively: Throw Anything. Bloodstorm Blade would be especially nice since your tigers return to you like boomerangs.

Lord Loss
2010-07-15, 03:05 PM
Feat: Wild Cohort http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a

Skill: handle animal
one tiger is your cohort, the rest are your pets. . . . Train them all to be thrown. . . (i'd count "be a projectile" as probably 2 tricks, 3 if you want it to attack what it's thrown at)

Enchanting your tigers to be returning weapons would be funny. . .

Woot for abuse of Handle Animal skill. . .

while we're at it, train all the tigers to be warbeasts. . .

I find that this idea works rather well.

Zovc
2010-07-15, 03:07 PM
I'll try to do some bookwork when I get home. I'll probably pass out before I can, though.

Akal Saris
2010-07-15, 03:09 PM
Weirdly enough, I made this build already, though I threw crocodiles and elephants.

The Crocodile Tosser (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1701.msg61403#msg61403)

Basically, Druid 18/Hulking Hurler 2 is about as good a build as you could ask for.

Prime32
2010-07-15, 03:40 PM
Bloodstorm blade so you only need one tiger.

It won't get to attack unless it has the Battle Jump (http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Battle_Jump) feat.

Darrin
2010-07-15, 04:06 PM
Then I came across the Drunken Master, which gives my improvised weapons larger dice.

You're headed in the right direction, but going down the wrong road. Drunken Master adds a very little damage to an improvised attack and isn't worth the bother. Per the rules in Complete Warrior, the damage an improvised weapon does is determined by its weight, which is why you see a lot of Hulking Hurler builds get banned when they start picking up moons made out of depleted uranium.

As per the Monster Manual, a tiger weighs 400-600 lbs, so it would do at least 5d6 damage as an improvised projectile. If you can convince your DM that fangs + claws = sharp object, then it might do as much as 10d6.

I'm not quite sure battle jump works with thrown creatures, but if you want to see an example of how to throw a tiger at an opponent over and again, check out my King of Pong (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5897646) build.

Watchers
2010-07-15, 07:09 PM
Per the rules in Complete Warrior, the damage an improvised weapon does is determined by its weight

Only if you drop it on something. Any other use of an improvised weapon uses damage dice based on size, and Drunken Master would help.

true_shinken
2010-07-15, 07:13 PM

So you have a tiger that was raised by taers? Yeah, that will fly...

Morph Bark
2010-07-15, 07:20 PM

It will once you toss it.

Lyndworm
2010-07-15, 07:36 PM
The feat doesn't technically require you to have been raised by taers... Just to come from an area heavily populated with them. If you're throwing Siberian tigers (native to snowy places) they likely meet this requirement.

true_shinken
2010-07-15, 07:43 PM
The feat doesn't technically require you to have been raised by taers... Just to come from an area heavily populated with them. If you're throwing Siberian tigers (native to snowy places) they likely meet this requirement.

No, that would qualify you for feats as if your race descended from there. The way regional feat works is a lot different in 3.5 than it was in 3.0. I do suggest you read it carefully.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-15, 07:49 PM
A ranger / druid / hulking hurler with wild cohort and throw ally. You have three tiger companions that you can throw around.

holywhippet
2010-07-15, 07:54 PM
The best way I can think of is to get hold of an item which can cast Summon Nature’s Ally IV (or greater) on demand. That lets you call in a tiger when you need it. Throw in a speak with animal enchantment and you can have them jump into your hands for launching.

Physics_Rook
2010-07-15, 08:14 PM

Isn't flying tigers exactly what the OP's after though. :smallsmile:

Watchers
2010-07-15, 08:41 PM
I fully support the notion of Throwing/Returning tigers.

2010-07-15, 11:47 PM
i support the "necklace of natural weapon: returning" idea and a rational for you to use the tiger claw school with its favored weapon as a ranged attack "so what, a tiger isnt a tiger claw favored weapon? its got all of a tigers claws on it, teeth too!"

Shyftir
2010-07-16, 12:44 AM
Doesn't one of the bags of tricks have tiger as a possible outcome?

Solution: own lots of bags of tricks.

Danin
2010-07-16, 02:05 AM
Everyone is going on about this "Throwing" and "Returning" stuff... why not train them to run back to you after you've thrown them?

Edit: I actually already did this one once, which inspired the quote. Had a guy with leadership based off Siegfried and Roy (http://www.siegfriedandroy.com/) who threw dire tigers with collars of enlarge animal on them (x8 weight) and threw them up, so they landed on the opponent and crushed them, finished them with a full attack and ran back to me. When the going got tough they abused readied actions and the throw ally feat to shoot out of the room at some absurd speed. I'll try and find the actual build at some point...

BobVosh
2010-07-16, 02:33 AM
Everyone is going on about this "Throwing" and "Returning" stuff... why not train them to run back to you after you've thrown them?

Because then they can't pounce.

Also 3.0 druids had swarms, 3.5 only has one. However the beastmaster class (I want to say complete adventurer) can get you several animals to chuck. Get returning on em, and you are set to go. I might steal this idea for a one shot NPC though, because it is amazing to imagine.

huttj509
2010-07-16, 08:52 AM
Flaming enchant?

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright,
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Hmmm, the spelling of tyger bugs me less than the rhyming of eye and symmetry. Silly 1800s spelling and pronunciation...

Ormagoden
2010-07-16, 09:16 AM
Alternatively: Throw Anything. Bloodstorm Blade would be especially nice since your tigers return to you like boomerangs.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMGsRmZTFQ)

LibraryOgre
2010-07-16, 11:26 AM

Because flying back to you is far more awesome.

Another_Poet
2010-07-16, 11:40 AM
No need to get the animal companion class feature to get tigers. You can get mundane tigers just buy catching them or buying them from a circus.

If you really want tigers with extra tricks and abilities though take the Wild Cohort feat. It's like an animal companion without being a Druid/Rgr.