PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Fighter

Stubborn Hippo
2010-07-15, 02:14 PM
Okay so I need some ideas for a more tactical fighter build. Any ideas? <3

Caphi
2010-07-15, 02:15 PM
Warblade with Iron Heart and White Raven?

Prodan
2010-07-15, 02:23 PM
Dungeon Crasher

Stubborn Hippo
2010-07-15, 02:25 PM
I guess it's worth mentioning that we're running a gestalt campaign

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-07-15, 02:27 PM
What do you mean by Tactical? Battlefield Control? Mobility? High One-Shot Damage? Action Economy Abuse? Some combination thereof?

Must it be Fighter (the class)? Could you use a smattering of Fighter levels to add feats to a build using primarily another class? With that information I think it'll be easier to help you find what you're looking for.

Stubborn Hippo
2010-07-15, 02:41 PM
Okay, what I'm looking for is a fighter type character who can utilize group tactical feats to co-ordinate with the other melee characters I'll be playing with. We're running a Gestalt campaign, so I'd be using Fighter mainly for the feats and BAB. Battlefield Mobility would be nice, but not a necessity.

Caphi
2010-07-15, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I think you want White Raven. It's available to warblades and crusaders, but warblades have more command of their maneuvers.

Frosty
2010-07-15, 02:45 PM
Gestalt Crusader with 6 levels of Fighter (for Dungeoncrasher).

Fax Celestis
2010-07-15, 02:46 PM
I guess it's worth mentioning that we're running a gestalt campaign

Dungeoncrasher Fighter//Kineticist Psion, with energy push and telekinetic thrust.

Shove people around. Shove people into walls for MASSIVE DAMAGE! Shove people into other people for the domino effect!

gdiddy
2010-07-15, 02:50 PM
Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6/Druid 14//Crusader 20

You are a dire ape that throws people around like rag dolls, heals yourself by fighting, and fights with a Large guisarme.

It's good for dinner.

Ormagoden
2010-07-15, 03:24 PM
Tactical fighter you say?

Wizard 10 / Ultimate magus 10 // Fighter 1/ Beguiler 9 / Incantrix 10

That should cover all the tactics you need!

nedz
2010-07-15, 03:36 PM
Marshall, Bard or Dragon Shamen are fairly solid options for the passive side.
These can all give various buffs

ericgrau
2010-07-15, 04:25 PM
In core the popular way is to be a tripper. Sundering and disarming are also both very effective, but only if you fight opponents with weapons. And for sundering the fight better be dangerous enough to be worth it, or else the weapon cheap enough that you're not losing much. Grappling works very well too, but most people are afraid to learn the rules. In almost all cases you want a high strength and a way to boost your size. Psychic warriors are a popular to do this, but in the 3 main books your best bet is to stick to fighting medium or large creatures or give up if the campaign has a lot of biggies in it.

Mounted and ranged combat also offer a lot of tactical options, but these depend on the kind of terrain you're in. If the DM makes a lot of unimaginative featureless terrain and small spaces, you're out of luck.

lsfreak
2010-07-15, 04:34 PM
My default tactical fighter is a bard4/warbladeX. Focus on Inspire Courage optimization along with White Raven maneuvers. If homebrew is allowed, trash the bard part and go with The Demented One's warlord.

Starfols
2010-07-15, 06:09 PM
Seconding fighter/psion, although I'd say an egoist. There's plenty of buffs that could help a fighter, as well as hustle, which gives you an extra move action.

Thurbane
2010-07-15, 06:48 PM
Gestalt? Fighter (Thug variant for skill points)//Binder/KotSS. Very tactical, and adaptable.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-15, 06:59 PM
Warblade // Psion - great mix that turns you into a great gish. Take tactical feats and use powers to buff yourself and create battlefield control.

true_shinken
2010-07-15, 07:00 PM
Crusader//Marshall. You'll be the best leader the world ever saw.

IdleMuse
2010-07-19, 01:02 PM
Crusader//Marshall. You'll be the best leader the world ever saw.

Seconded. I like this build, although it's probably worth dropping out of Marshal fairly quickly and PrCing, probably into something rp-specific, although I quite like Crusader 20||Marshal 10/Eternal Blade 10 if you can stand being an elf. Nice capstone. Although it suffers a bit from a sag in the middle. Replace Crusader with Warblade for an awesome capstone on that side as well, in the unlikely circumstance you'll be playign up to lvl20.

In non-ToB terms, something like a Swashbuckler||Dragon Shaman could be tasty, especially if you drop out of Swashbuckler as soon as possible into a prestige class. In Core+Completes, Something like Swashbuckler 3/Bard 2/War Chanter 10 can be a good call on one side if you want to stay mostly out of magic.

If you want to go the bardic route (there's lots of team support stuff in the different musics available) without going actual Bard, Warrior Skald from Races of Faerun has entry requirements you'll probably be taking anyway, and grants you all the 'Bard' bardic music abilities at their normal perform skill prereq for just one level of dip.

For more tactical movement style stuff, there's a PrC actually called Tactical Soldier (in Minis Handbook), which has a couple of fairly useful abilities relating to flanking, AoOs, and Cleaving.

Dairun Cates
2010-07-19, 01:18 PM
What level are we talking?

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-19, 02:32 PM
A good set from level 1 is a sword sage with iles of blades stance and vexing flanker and shadow blade mixed with something like a swashbuckler rogue dareing outlaw. That will give you lots of BaB, sneak attack, flanking from any angle with double bonuses, adding int, dex, and str to damage with the right weapon.

see if your DM will let you take Kung Foo Genius for a swordsage. It would be an awsome class. Consider master of nine on the Swordsage side to pick up devoted spirit and iorn heart manuvers.

Greenish
2010-07-19, 02:36 PM
Bard/Sublime Chord with warblade or crusader on the other side.